This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre - Lord of the Rings - Silmarillion

For those who have read the brilliant 'the Silmarillion', wouldn't you guys think it would be almost impossible to make a movie of the book, with all the characters, and history.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

I agree. The Silmarillion is essentially the complete history of Tolkien's middle-earth. You wouldn't be able to condense it into a movie. If you were serious about it, you'd have to do a tv miniseries, just to touch the epic scope of it.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Yah, one story about one tragic figure in the book could be a whole mini series, haha.

Comment

I heard it was a difficult read, but I haven't read it myself.
        "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Hmm, yah, read the book, and see if its hard to read, but i don't understand how its 'hard' to read.. Well unless they don't understand the way Tolkien writes, like... "All were dead, save her" Its all weird, hahah...

Comment

Erm... well I think its hard to read for some people because The Silmarillion reads almost like a history textbook. I thought it was interesting, but didn't really enjoy reading it as much as most of his other works.
            The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Yah, its not really an 'adventure' like LOTR, but i like how it tells of 'before' LOTR, and how Sauron wasn't really the 'biggest' threat.

Comment

Really it's an overview of the whole history of what happened in Middle-Earth. It goes from the creation of the world, till a little time after the War of the Rings (= it breifly touches on it.) It's not written along the lines of a novel, but more of a history book.
                Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.

Comment

Even so, that 'history' -esque book is an interesting read to me, haha, and i don't like reading alot, haha.. I liked the war between the elves, and the chapter, "Of Beren and Luthien", i think thats the chapter name. That chapter was my favorite

Comment

yeah, while it follows a story, it follows it in many differant ways. It would be very cool to see a series about it, "maybe". I mean, if it was done well. Otherwise i dont, because that books damned hard to read, and people just come along and see the film ? ach, that would be way rubbish!

Comment

For me, it's a lot like a resource book. Need to look something up that pertains to Tolkien's world? Check the Silmarilion.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                        For me, it's a lot like a resource book. Need to look something up that pertains to Tolkien's world? Check the Silmarilion.
                        noooo, it only documents part of the first age of middle earth, it not a complete reference atall!

If you want that, there are a few several thousand page, a4 sides books available with very small print, that documents it

Comment

The only 'non' parts that aren't about the first age in the book is probably the first part talking about the Valar, Maiar, etc... and the beginning link to the lotr. But if have read the Lotr already, this is the book you want to read if you want to go even deeper into history.

Comment

the time of the valar is the first age isnt it ? the first age is the age of the elves, and they were pre man, but after dwarves (on slightly because the god woke them early in the halls where moria is now). I thought that was the first age. With ungoliant and everything.

Comment

The First Age started right after the Noldor Elves stole the Teleri ships returned to Middle-Earth, the comming of Men, and yes, the awakening of the Dwarves. If i said the Valar wasn't part of the First Age, i meant that they had little part to it, little, but big. Pre First Age is like before the Noldor returned to Middle Earth, so yah, the Valar were part of the First Age.
                              Last edited by Elwe Singollo; 23 June 2004, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X