PDA

View Full Version : Finally - the Best Ever Daniel Episode!

Madeleine
June 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM
These are the winners and runners-up of the polls we've had to find the Best Ever Daniel Episode:

Daniel & Friends (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13003): Abyss 46%, Changeling 14%

Angsty Daniel (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12737): Menace 21%, Heroes II 15%, Meridian, Secrets and There but for the Grace of God all on 14%

Loopy Daniel (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12164): Legacy 31%, Absolute Power 21%, Lifeboat 20%

Daniel the Scholar and Explorer (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=11966): The First Ones 33%, Torment of Tantalus 28%

Daniel the Hero (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=11743): Reckoning II 38%, Meridian 28%

Danny Whumping (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12310): Evolution II 35%, Prometheus Unbound 16%

Daniel Character Development (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12574): Forever in a Day 39%, Maternal Instinct 25%

Go forth and vote :)

L-JADE
June 20th, 2005, 11:26 PM
The First Ones

It's an episode where we have a 'complete' Daniel in his element. Archaelogist, Linguist, Anthropologist and survival training that he get from his years in SG-1.

lecha
June 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM
I voted "Lifeboat", his acting was amazing.

emily_reich
June 21st, 2005, 01:09 AM
wow, this was a HARD vote :eek: :o

i was gonna go with lifeboat, but DANIEL is barely in it :p though i would say it's definately one of MS's best :D so i went with the changeling... first time i watched it, it was so moving, mostly cuz of daniel being there and helpin :D so gotta go with that one :D

Aleca
June 21st, 2005, 02:55 AM
I voted for 'Lifeboat' ! I love that episode, and his acting was really, really great.

the Fifth Race
June 21st, 2005, 06:48 AM
One of my favorite episodes period is what I would consider a 'Daniel episode' which did'nt make the list is 'Enemy Mine' where he had to negoitiate a treaty with the Unas living on a world to mine there naquadah with the help of his Unas friend Chaka.

SimilarCadence
June 21st, 2005, 11:14 AM
I went with "Meridian" although, once again, it was a hard choice.

I think that out of all the episodes listed in this poll, this is the one where Daniel puts all his values, beliefs and personal philosophies on the line. I'm sure there were fleeting thoughts of the danger involved, but he saw the problem, knew that something had to be done to save all those lives and did the only thing he could do under the circumstances. He knew the radiation would kill him (and at that point, he wasn't looking at the possibility of ascension as an alternative to death), but he also felt that life-on-a-larger scale was precious and he opted for the greater good, making the ultimate sacrifice. (Hmmm.....watch out for falling cliches! :))

This episode was also the beginning of Daniel's ascension adventures, so to me, it was the culmination of everything that he had been and believed throughout his life, yet also the springboard for everything he was to become. (...if that makes sense :S)

(In the book "Stepping Through the Stargate (Science, Archaeology and the Military in StarGate SG-1)" there's an essay by Kelley Walters that examines Daniel's life journey as a hero----it's called "I'm Not an Archetype But I Play One on TV". It covers Jack the Pragmatist, Sam the Scientist and Teal'c the Warrior, too. The whole book is a great read---I recommend it.....)

I just wanted to thank you, Madeleine, for these series of polls. It's been a lot of fun!

.:Lemon:.
June 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
No the last poll! I've enjoyed these :p

Okay I went for Lifeboat. I've only seen it once but I thought MS's acting was superb in it. This was a very tough choice as there are so many great Daniel episodes such as There But For The Grace Of God (One of my all time faves), Meridian, Heroes and Abyss. All fantastic Danny episodes in my opinion :)

Madeleine
June 21st, 2005, 09:50 PM
I went for Redemption II. I do like the acting in Lifeboat, but personally I don't think it's much of a Daniel ep - Daniel's in two scenes. Redemption II was such a great ride.

But I'm already wobbling and thinking I should have gone with The First Ones. Like L-Jade said, it's quintessential Daniel.

JackONeill
June 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
I think MS' best episode in way of acting was Life Boat, he did an absolutely outstanding job in that episode.

But I'd have to say that my favourite Danny ep would have to be Absolute Power! That was a great episode for him.

twiggy
June 22nd, 2005, 06:21 AM
ack, i don't know, i don't know! but i voted for absolute power, because we got to see what daniel would be like if he had all the knowledge of the gouald.

DJFavorite
June 22nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Shoot - missed the Daniel and Friends poll (stupid RL)...

Anyway, I voted for Meridian. It was tough. I love them all. And Meridian isn't even my favorite episode. But, as far as Daniel is concerned, I felt this was his "shining moment" (no pun intended). He took the ultimate risk. He lost, but won. (and I still cry every time I see the episode.)

ApophisOfTheStargateRealm
June 22nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Prometheus Unbound

MartoufMarty
June 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
Menace!

Best. Episode. Ever! :P

I would have possibly voted for Lifeboat if it didn't have that quick five minute ending. The episode was GREAT until the last five minutes. I was disappointed at the quick solution :(

But Menace was great all the way through. You usually see Jack with the 'kids' but this time it was Daniel and he did a great job... I'm biased. I just love that episode lol.

Meridian was really good too, but... umm... Menace for me :P

Meridian is probably gonna win because it's got Daniel ALOT and angsty and... yeah, I'll go away now :P

Katerine
June 22nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Difficult choice.

I finally voted Maternal Instinct, because that was both a great Daniel episode and a great episode in general. It showcases the quintessential "Daniel" - curious, open-minded, principled, stubborn, and dedicated. And it started (more or less) the terrific ascension storyline. And it had action, and great Daniel/Jack interaction, and a good moral, and it was well-done... an all-around great episode.

Meridian came close - it was probably a better episode overall, but I couldn't vote for it since Daniel was unconscious for so much of it...

Menace also came close, but I thought that Maternal Instinct showed more aspects of Daniel at once. Menace concentrated on "principled and stubborn." If that makes any sense...

Really good selection here! :)

Celestial
June 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Lifeboat for sure, it showcased Michael Shanks' acting ability, it was great!

Hex.FTB.enabled
June 23rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Initially thought Lifeboat, but as Emily pointed out, it's not really a Daniel-y episode. It was close with TBFTGOG (classic!), but ended up with Reckoning pt.2 . I just love that Daniel has evolved to get to that point. (Out of curiousity, what about Threads??)

Commander Aegir
June 23rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
Lifeboat was the best acting from Michael Shanks because i don't really like Dr. Jackson but that episode it was excellent acting

Helo
June 23rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Ok im going to say maternal instict.

Noo ani Anqueetus
June 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Hello....Abyss? Anyone? Anyone???

Madeleine
June 23rd, 2005, 10:18 PM
I'd love to vote for Abyss. It was one of the most Feelgood eps ever, and the acting from MS and RDA was phenomenal. It deserves to win; the only problem is that there are at least four eps that I think deserve to win... :o

I'd vote for Abyss as the best ever Jack ep, I reckon.

discodiva
June 24th, 2005, 02:52 AM
I'd vote for Abyss as the best ever Jack ep, I reckon.

Me too....the acting was stunning from both of them....Funnily enough my other half who was a "take it or leave it" Stargate fan until I forced him to sit and watch it with me has said that the two episodes which stood out most for him have been Meridian and Abyss - and he's very hard to please!... :D

Dee Dee xx

Goa'uld-horus
June 24th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Absolute power.

It was the first time we saw Daniel as a bad guy. :p
This episode made Daniel more complex, it shows Daniel not only as a kind archaeologist but as a human wich can make mistakes.

Jonisa
June 24th, 2005, 04:20 AM
This was a next-to-impossible decision for me, because so many of these are episodes that I just adore, being such the Daniel fan that I am. :D

However, after thinking about it for awhile, I had to go with the episode that, out of all of these, I replay the most often, The First Ones. I love the entire thing, the way he and Chaka slowly gain respect for each other. It is just so *Daniel* to attempt to communicate with a creature that most people would be completely terrified of...and succeed!

I just love this episode to bits and pieces. :D

Whistler
June 24th, 2005, 10:05 AM
There but for the Grace of God, without a doubt. :D ;) IMO.

Tok'Ra Hostess
June 24th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Again, I am surprised that COTG did not make it onto the list.

I voted for AP because I think it showed the two forces at work in Daniel, and highlighted just how noble the charactor truly is.

Now if this had been a poll for the best MS episode, I would have voted for Lifeboat.

Frostfox
June 24th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Hello....Abyss? Anyone? Anyone???

Abyss was my choice too, I am a sucker for Daniel and Jack interaction and angst.

Atteria
June 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM
This was really difficult, as MS has done a superb job in many different situations. I had to vote for Meridian, but Lifeboat, AP and COTG were VERY close seconds ( I even hesitate to use the word second). I also think his performance in The First Ones was excellent, seeing as he had to carry almost the entire show solo (sorry Chaka).

Anywho, those are my thoughts, sorry they are not profound, I'm not quite up to snuff. :o

TheWarrior
June 28th, 2005, 01:47 AM
I went for Redemption II. I do like the acting in Lifeboat, but personally I don't think it's much of a Daniel ep - Daniel's in two scenes. Redemption II was such a great ride.

Redemption II? I didn't see Daniel in that eppy ;) :p I assume you mean Reckoning Part II. :D

I voted for "The First Ones" for the same reasons L-JADE stated.

Madeleine
June 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Redemption II? I didn't see Daniel in that eppy ;) :p I assume you mean Reckoning Part II. :D

I voted for "The First Ones" for the same reasons L-JADE stated.

:o :o :o :o

Oooops!

But anyway, I ended up voting for TFO instead. Same reasons :)

shelsfc
June 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I was torn between Abyss & Heroes 2. I think I probably prefer Abyss as an episode, but I consider it more of a Jack/Daniel episode than a Daniel ep. So I went for Heroes 2 - I find it hard sometimes to see what Daniel is feeling but it was quite an emotional episode for him, so it seemed a nice one for him, aswell as being a particularly good ep in itself!!

Madeleine
July 1st, 2005, 09:49 PM
It's official! There's no clear Best Ever Daniel Episode :D

Thanks everyone for participating in these polls, it's been fun.

CeeKay Sheppard
August 22nd, 2005, 09:23 PM
I was just poking around in the forgotten pages when I found this poll. I had to vote for "Meridian", becaus it was classic Daniel: he sacrificed his life to save a world full of people he didn't even know from their own weapon on mass destruction. Also, it was one of the best send-offs on the entire show (even if it was only temporary).

1DanielForMe
August 22nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Well, I voted for The Changeling. I mean, It's my very favourite episode. I love how Daniel helps Teal'c deal with the situation he's in. I love that we see him wearing glasses when he's ascended. That's kind of neat.

Willow'sCat
August 23rd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Maternal Instinct. :)

NotANumber
August 29th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I'm surprised that Full Circle and Threads didn't make the list. That beign said I voted for Torment of Tantalus, which was something of a brain fart because I only spotted Meridian after I voted. Anyway I'm still happy about my choice because while the episode itself was not Daniel-centric, we got a good look into his character early on in the series. The issue of the civilian-military conflict is raised by Catherine, and we see him as the archeologist who loses himself in the bigger picture of 'Heliopolis' when he should be helping his friends get out alive (the same thing in a way happens in Full Circle when he makes the deal with Anubis).

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Prometheus Unbound. Why? He was just good in that episode.
Where's Threads, Daniel was good in that episode.