This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your Top Ten Scifi Films?

I thought anything less than 10 would be very difficult to manoeuvre... so 10 it is...
    What are you favourite Scifi films?
    You may wish to say why you've picked them... but it's not necessary...

1. The Matrix (1999)
    2. Cypher
    3. Blade Runner
    4. Equilibrium
    5. Galaxy Quest
    6. X-Men
    7. Alien (the second one)
    8. Terminator
    9. The Return of the Jedi
    10. Back to the Future
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

1. The Matrix (1999)
    2. Minority Report
    3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (does this count?)
    4. Contact
    5. Blade Runner
    6. X-men (take your pic)
    7. Terminator 2
    8. Alien or Aliens, I can't choose
    9. Dark City
    10. Star Wars (take your pic)

Comment

Top 5, no particular order:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
      Contact
      The Abyss
      Aliens
      Terminator 2

Next 5, no particular order:

Gattaca
      The Time Machine (original version)
      The Last Starfighter
      Jurrasic Park
      Star Trek: First Contact

Eh, I could sub out some of those last 5 for any one of the others on this list though. Could that be considered cheating?
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Hmmm. Nice question
        1. Star Wars 'A New Hope'
        2. Empire Strikes Back
        3.The Terminator
        4.Terminator 2
        5.Blade Runner
        6. Star Trek First Contact
        7. Stargate
        8 Star Wars Episode 3
        9. Aliens
        9. Babylon 5. In The Beginning (TV Movie but still a movie)

Matrix would have been there but the sequels have left a sour taste in my mouth which I cant shake off.

Comment

Hmm....

1. Blade Runner
          2. The Empire Strikes Back
          3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
          4. Terminator I/II
          5. Contact
          6. The Matrix
          7. The Abyss (DVD special edition-didn't think the original movie was that great)
          8. Aliens
          9. Stargate
          10. 12 Monkeys

*honorable mention - "Galaxy Quest". I couldn't include it in my top ten but it's a hoot*.

I haven't seen Gattaca or Solaris or Dark City - so I checked out the reviews. Going to have to get those. Gattaca and Dark City sound especially interesting.

ETA: Put Stargate on my list. Can't believe I forgot that one - I actually really liked the movie.
          Last edited by keshou; 19 June 2005, 09:13 AM.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

1) Terminator
            2) Pitch Black
            3) Space Oydessy 2001
            4) The Undiscovered Country
            5) Stargate
            6) Original Planet of the Apes
            7) Alien
            8) The Abyss
            9) Dune
            10) Starship Troopers

Those are really in no paticular order...Honorable mentions.....Predator, Matrix, Star Wars, First Contact, West World, Close Encounters, Aliens, The Fly, A Clock Work Orange, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both versions)....heck I better stop here, I could go on for hours!
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

1. The Fifth Element (This movie is gorgeous and just so much fun.)
              2. Serenity (This movie was stupendous and I saw an unfinished cut… come September this might be in the number one slot.)
              3. Back to the Future [1,2, & 3] (Also great. They were the first films to get me thinking seriously about time travel and you know, they were really cool.)
              4. Donnie Darko (Another time travel movie that was just so well put together and acted that it’s suck with me since I first saw it.)
              5. The Matrix [1999] (Not only was this movie awesome but I loved that it got people examining their reality and looking to philosophy. Too bad the sequels sucked ass.)
              6. Jurassic Park (God, when I first saw this film I wanted my very own dinosaur… yeah, the moral of the story was completely lost on me.)
              7. E.T. (First and probably only movie to make me cry. Who doesn’t love this cute little alien Buddha?)
              8. Empire Strikes Back (First time I ever saw heroes lose. I totally fell in love with Darth Vader… only to be undone by the prequels.)
              9. Contact (Blew my young mind first time I saw it.)
              10. Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country (Best Star Trek Movie Ever. Up until this point I was a Next Generation fan. This movie made me understand how badass this original crew was… even for a bunch of geezers.)
              Last edited by impulsivelad; 19 June 2005, 09:25 AM.

Comment

No particular order...

1.) Return of the Jedi
                2.) Revenge of the Sith
                3.) Star Trek: First Contact
                4.) "The Stargate"
                5.) Dune (the original movie)
                6.) The Fifth Element
                7.) Armegeddon
                8.) Independence Day
                9.) Battlefield Earth (Book is even better... )
                10.) The Matrix

There are a lot of Sci-fi movies I like... and it is difficult to place them in any proper order. Those 10 were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I would mention more, but they weren't asked for, and I don't feel like writing much more anyways.
                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

There are too many to mention, but the Alien series were good and Terminator 2. And of course all the Star wars films.
                  Reading some of the previous posts has made me all nostalgic, I'll have to go and watch a couple of films now.

Comment

In no order

The Empire Strikes Back
                    The Thing - Scared the pants off me when I was younger, still does.
                    The Matrix
                    Flash Gordon
                    Blade Runner
                    Them
                    Barbarella
                    The Day the Earth Stood Still - One of the first sci-fi films I remember.
                    Day of the Triffids - Another that scared me witless as a kid.
                    Contact

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                      6.) The Fifth Element
                      Good call on the Fifth Element Sea and impulsivelad!. I forgot that one on my list. Truly an entertaining movie!.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Ahhh...a question I can really sink my teeth into...no particular order, except to say I could watch Alien over and over again and still see new things...

1. Alien (the first one): Truck drivers in space, et al, superb!
                        2. Alien (the second one): Revenge of supermom and tell it to the marines
                        3. Star Wars (part four?? whatever the heck the original one is now called): Classic mythos revisited comic book style
                        4. Forbidden Planet: Classic, classic, classic myth in space, plus Robby the robot
                        5. Terminator 1: All about transformation, on several levels; plus the time travel paradox question explored
                        6. Terminator 2: One was good, but two kicked ass action-movie style
                        7. The Thing (the original 1951 version): Thoughtful, with incredibly effective film style - created the formula for the modern scifi movie
                        8. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951): Skewers cold war hysteria and human bigotry
                        9. Close Encounters: We are not alone, dammit!
                        10. 2001: Man dehumanizing man, plus Hal, the supercomputer from hell

And when you do Top Ten WORST SciFi films, let me know. I've got a list a yard long (and some of them are listed here as folks' favorites!)

Comment

Wow... that's quite a few that I forgot to mention too... and a few recommendations... The Fifth Element is another one that I enjoyed on a surreal level... a lot of fun
                          I still don't know quite what to think of eXistenz even after all these years...
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                            this list:
                            list
                            Ah, yes, thanks,LoneStar, for refreshing my memory.

This was then:
                            [QUOTE]In no particular order:

12 Monkeys
                            The Stand
                            Brazil
                            Gattaca
                            Stargate (the movie)
                            The Classic and the Anime versions of Metropolis
                            2001 A Space Oddesy - when it first came out. Now I can't stand to watch it for the loooong booooring parts, but the story has stayed with me to this day.
                            Tron
                            Jurrasic Park 1

My fantasy Movies (the ones I fantasize about somebody making, that is ) would be the Fantasy, Terry Prachett's The Last Hero, and the SF, Anne MacCaffery's Pern.[/QOUTE]

And I would add:

Babylon5, In the Beginning
                            Lawnmower Man
                            A-i
                            Sphere
                            Star Trek The... Voyage Home? (the one with the whales)
                            Galaxy Quest
                            Matrix -1
                            Bicentennial Man
                            Armegeddon - the only movie where I actually caught my husband crying!
                            Cube

Oh, and, edited to say that I finally saw LOTR trilogy. Loved it, loved, loved it! Looking forward to the Chronicles of Narnia, now.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

My top 10, in no particular order.....except that it totals 12.....

1. Star Wars, part 4: A New Hope
                              2. Star Wars, part 5: The Empire Strikes Back
                              3. Back to the Future (A really original premise)
                              4. E.T.
                              5. Independence Day (just fun!)
                              6. Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country
                              7. Star Trek: First Contact
                              8. Star Trek: The Voyage Home
                              9. Jurassic Park (jump out of your seat fun!)
                              10. Galaxy Quest (hilarious fun!)
                              11. Star Trek, part 3: Revenge of the Sith
                              12. Forbidden Planet

Comment

Working...
                              X