This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa: The real Prometheus

"NASA's primary research program for developing these technologies is Prometheus Nuclear Systems and Technology. Named for the ancient Greek god of fire and craft, Prometheus has two initial objectives:

1. To develop nuclear-powered propulsion systems
    2. To build Prometheus 1, a spacecraft that could conduct far-reaching,long-lasting exploration missions."

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...rometheus.html

Pfft, get with the times NASA - Prometheus is built already and kicking arse out there

Comment

Ya, I think that they should keep NASA a little furthur in the loop.

lol, seriously, I don't think it is such a big coincidence. Names from mythology are being used for ships all of the time, Prometheus was bound to come up sooner or later.

Owen Macri

Comment

I've heard some scientist are a little annoyed with sci-fi movies and tv... because the stuff they show on there far exceeds anything we're capable of and the scientist feel it makes the publics expectations of scientific and technological progress too high. In other words, we see space shuttles the size of mini-vans on Star Trek doing things a big Space shuttle in real life couldn't ever dream of doing. *cries* It isn't fair... I wish I was born a thousand years in the future, with all the cool tech around... Hmmm... but they say we always want things we can't have... maybe if I were born in the future I'd want to live a primitive life, like now... ??? Who knows... LOL
        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

wow sounds promising.........whens the daedalus coming out!
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
            I've heard some scientist are a little annoyed with sci-fi movies and tv... because the stuff they show on there far exceeds anything we're capable of and the scientist feel it makes the publics expectations of scientific and technological progress too high.
            This really is a problem. People are so used to turning on their television and watching star trek. Anything we can do in real life is boring to them unless it involves warp speed and photon torpedos.

Another problem is that most people don't even know what is out there. I mean, everyone knows about the nine planets, but how many people realize there are over 90 "worlds" that people could actually live on right in our own solar system?

In the end however, Prometheus is just hand waving. I mean, the technical part of it is completely doable, it's just that it won't ever get anywhere soon. President Bush has already cut it's funding for 2006 to make room for his return to the moon mission, and if we're going to the moon, we don't need nuclear powered spacecraft; chemical rockets work just fine for such a short hop.

The only time you need a nuclear propulsion system is when you're doing extended trips, like to Jupiter and farther out. Anything out that far receives far less sunlight than we get here, so nuclear is the way to go. Cassini, the probe that recently made it to Saturn, is nuclear powered which freaked a bunch of people out.
            I remember when Cassini was launched, there were a bunch of protesters saying the world would end if the rocket exploded. Little did they know that the RTGs that NASA use are specifically designed to survive through a rocket explosions so they can be reused! But the media didn't cover the specs of the RTG, they covered the treehuggers saying the sky was falling.

When people stop seeing mushroom clouds each time the word "nuclear" is spoken, then you'll see things like Prometheus in space. Until then, it's all political hand waving.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Nice post. We still do have a few missions coming up, but nothing way too drastic.
              ( http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html ).

Originally posted by Jarnin
              When people stop seeing mushroom clouds each time the word "nuclear" is spoken, then you'll see things like Prometheus in space. Until then, it's all political hand waving.
              Too true. Even nuclear-powered aircraft carriers don't work off a mushroom cloud, they run off steam.
              JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
              VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
              MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
              LANDRY
              : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
              Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
              Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                This really is a problem. People are so used to turning on their television and watching star trek. Anything we can do in real life is boring to them unless it involves warp speed and photon torpedos.

Another problem is that most people don't even know what is out there. I mean, everyone knows about the nine planets, but how many people realize there are over 90 "worlds" that people could actually live on right in our own solar system?

In the end however, Prometheus is just hand waving. I mean, the technical part of it is completely doable, it's just that it won't ever get anywhere soon. President Bush has already cut it's funding for 2006 to make room for his return to the moon mission, and if we're going to the moon, we don't need nuclear powered spacecraft; chemical rockets work just fine for such a short hop.

The only time you need a nuclear propulsion system is when you're doing extended trips, like to Jupiter and farther out. Anything out that far receives far less sunlight than we get here, so nuclear is the way to go. Cassini, the probe that recently made it to Saturn, is nuclear powered which freaked a bunch of people out.
                I remember when Cassini was launched, there were a bunch of protesters saying the world would end if the rocket exploded. Little did they know that the RTGs that NASA use are specifically designed to survive through a rocket explosions so they can be reused! But the media didn't cover the specs of the RTG, they covered the treehuggers saying the sky was falling.

I agree... the anti-nuke people really get on my nerves. There is some nuclear technology that is very useful, and not necessarily a big bruise on the ecology. I think our country should use more nuclear power. Of course I'm concerned about radiation and stuff, but there are safer ways of doing it. I really do believe we need to get serious about Fusion reactors. They'll never get off the ground if the government, or someone doesn't put some serious backing into it. Mining the moon for Helium-3 which could be extremely valuable if we can figure out the whole Fusion thing. Helium-3 is very rare here on Earth, but there appears to be a lot more of it on the moon. I think that the USA should put some serious backing into the aerospace industry, and also if possible, we should build a space-elevator. Or many. I really do think that with nano-tubes it could be done, and it would make getting to space much easier and far cheaper.
                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Uhm... we can already build a fusion reactor that creates energy.
                  The only thing holding us back is where we're going to build the first experimant reactor.
                  The EU, Russia and China want to build it in the south of France and the US and Japan wants it to be in Japan.
                  Right now it seems like it will end up in France because the EU has stated they don't want to wait anymore and will fund it alone if Japan and the US won't agree to place the fusion reactor in France.
                  As always, politics is what keeps us from making progress. Isn't it always so?

I'm somewhat against nuclear power myself since we can build enough wind power plants to power the entire world community right now.
                  There's a scientist in the US that has done some research on this and picked out 8000 places in the world that would be suitable for wind power. We only need to build out wind power on 10% of those places to cover the need of the entire world. Think about that.

But nuclear power in space I'm all for. Once we get into deep space any explosion of a nuclear powered vessel won't even be noticed in terms of radiation. Space is very big...

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                    I've heard some scientist are a little annoyed with sci-fi movies and tv... because the stuff they show on there far exceeds anything we're capable of and the scientist feel it makes the publics expectations of scientific and technological progress too high. In other words, we see space shuttles the size of mini-vans on Star Trek doing things a big Space shuttle in real life couldn't ever dream of doing. *cries* It isn't fair... I wish I was born a thousand years in the future, with all the cool tech around... Hmmm... but they say we always want things we can't have... maybe if I were born in the future I'd want to live a primitive life, like now... ??? Who knows... LOL
                    The only problem is, if you were born in the future, everything there would be commonplace. The most advanced technology would be available for everyday use, something that would seem ingenious to us, is normall for them. If you were born in the future, the only thing that you would want is to be born even farther in the future. Trust me, I have thought this through. I think a lot of little kids see science fiction on T.V. and compare it to real life, and then say, "Well, damn it, why did I have to be born now, why couldn't I have been born a billion years in the future," I was one of those little kids.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      The only problem is, if you were born in the future, everything there would be commonplace. The most advanced technology would be available for everyday use, something that would seem ingenious to us, is normall for them. If you were born in the future, the only thing that you would want is to be born even farther in the future. Trust me, I have thought this through. I think a lot of little kids see science fiction on T.V. and compare it to real life, and then say, "Well, damn it, why did I have to be born now, why couldn't I have been born a billion years in the future," I was one of those little kids.

Owen Macri
                      LOL... Pssshhh! What are you talking about...??? Your STILL a kid..! I'm 27 years old, believe me I've thought as much, and very likely more than you about it. I'm nearly twice your age, and am well aware of what you speak of. As I said in my previous post... it is human nature to desire that which we do not have. Which is basically the exact same thing you just said. So, see? I do know what I'm talking about. Trust me...

I don't mean to rip you or anything... but I would hope that by now, you'd give me a little credit for knowing a thing or two. I know it wasn't your intention, but you implied I was one of those "little kids"... and you well know I'm not. Actually... the truth is, we've ALL been those little kids at some point or another. I don't mean to lecture, but I must ask you not to do the same to me. ...or at least don't call me a little kid. LOL Peace, my friend..!
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Oh, I am sorry, I didn't see that in your post.

As for the little kid thing, I know that you aren't a little kid, I know that I am not a little kid, I was trying to say that at one point in time, when we were little kids, many of us did think about wanting to be born in the future instead of now. I appoligize if I offended you that was not my intention.

I wasn't implying that you are a little kid, I was implying that just like everyone else on this planet, you were a little kid, and to top that off you might have been the same kind of little kid as me, dreaming about the future at every opportunity...

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Odin's eyes
                          Uhm... we can already build a fusion reactor that creates energy.
                          The only thing holding us back is where we're going to build the first experimant reactor.
                          The EU, Russia and China want to build it in the south of France and the US and Japan wants it to be in Japan.
                          Right now it seems like it will end up in France because the EU has stated they don't want to wait anymore and will fund it alone if Japan and the US won't agree to place the fusion reactor in France.
                          As always, politics is what keeps us from making progress. Isn't it always so?
                          Yes, it is always so.

France is currently sitting at about 10% unemployment, so they want to have that money spent in France to pay French workers to build ITER. France currently has about 75% of their electricity generated by fission reactors, so they have plenty of power.
                          Japan doesn't have the problem with unemployment; they simply don't have any reserves of petroleum or coal in Japan. They have to rely on fission for about 30% of their power, with the rest made up by spending billions having oil imported to their country.

Even if they agreed on a site today, it'd still probably be 50 to 100 years before fusion would become commonly used. What do we do in the meantime?

Originally posted by Odin's eyes
                          I'm somewhat against nuclear power myself since we can build enough wind power plants to power the entire world community right now.
                          There's a scientist in the US that has done some research on this and picked out 8000 places in the world that would be suitable for wind power. We only need to build out wind power on 10% of those places to cover the need of the entire world. Think about that.
                          While it might be possible to power the entire world with wind mills, there is always the problem that it's not always windy everywhere. You end up with large fields of wind mills in windy places, and then you have to distribute that electricty to the people who will use it where it's not windy.
                          That means building a huge distribution system, which means you have to relay and boost it along the way. If you build the farms closer to the people that will use it, you have the problem of noise and seeing a bunch of wind mills every time you look around. Wind mills are also famous for killing birds, which has environmentalists up in arms.

As it turns out, nuclear power is very efficient in just about every corner of the world, and it's environmental impact is quite small. People like to point out that meltdowns would increase its impact, but reactor technology has come to the point where many designs are incapable of melting down.
                          The only downside to nuclear power is the waste generated, which is orders of magnitude less than your average coal burning electrical plant, and the thing is, nuclear waste is contained while coal spews its waste directly into the air. Did you know that coal burning plants spew up to 25 tons of uranium and other radioactive elements into the air each year? I wouldn't want to live downwind from that.

There is no single solution to power production. Every solution has downsides that make using them impractical in many cases. We're going to have to use wind, solar, tidal, geothermal and nuclear in places where those solutions will work most efficiently and have the least impact on the environment.
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                            Oh, I am sorry, I didn't see that in your post.

As for the little kid thing, I know that you aren't a little kid, I know that I am not a little kid, I was trying to say that at one point in time, when we were little kids, many of us did think about wanting to be born in the future instead of now. I appoligize if I offended you that was not my intention.

I wasn't implying that you are a little kid, I was implying that just like everyone else on this planet, you were a little kid, and to top that off you might have been the same kind of little kid as me, dreaming about the future at every opportunity...

Owen Macri
                            I was just messing with you... Don't take it too seriously. I know pretty much what you meant, I was just poking a little fun at your expense. Try never to take anything too seriously... it gives you heartburn... LOL I know you weren't calling me a little kid, (not really) I just used the possible implication (however remote) to take a little jab at ya... If it makes you feel better... I sort of am like a big kid. Sort of. I'd rather play than work... so I guess that makes me still a kid.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

This is a better link...

http://prometheus.jpl.nasa.gov/index.cfm
                              Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Working...
                              X