Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 'gear' do they wear/take off-world?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 'gear' do they wear/take off-world?

Hiking through the Shenandoah Mountains yesterday, carrying a fairly light pack, I started to wonder, "What types of things does an SG team carry with them when they walk through the gate?" Weight is always an issue when carrying survival gear and I started adding it up.

1.) What do you think they take with them?

3.)I wonder how much weight do you think they each carry on standard recon missions? And where do they put it?

3.)Not being a weapons person, what do you think would be the weight of just those things: Weapons: BigOne (Each has a different one, right?), Sidearm, Knife, lotsa ammo, Claymores, C4, anything else...

MRE's (Meals-Ready-to-Eat) - They're heavy!
    Water - How much? It's heavy!

It really depends what you have in them to determine what they weigh. I know in training they run drills with backpacks with 20 to 30 pound weights in them, maybe more!

Owen Macri

Comment

I'm geussing on what type of enviroment it is depends on the amount and catagory of things they bring. I hike the AT a little bit every year and have a water pureifier, which comes in handy. I'm geussing sg-1 has a water pureifier no matter what the enviroment.
      sigpic
      Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

You are right, if the Stargate was located in a desert climate, you wouldn't need earmuffs. lol. A lot of the equipment is climatorialy selected. However there is the standard gear that they will take everywhere.

Owen Macri

Comment

What happened to FRED from the earlier episodes? It must have been a lot easier to just have one of those carry your pack.
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
          LANDRY
          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

Probably:

Primary Arm, Sidearm, Knife, Ammunition, 2x M67 HE grenades.

Load Bearing Gear:
            -BlackHawkOmega Medical/Utility Vest
            -BlackHawk 60SLBP
            -Zat Holster or Blackhawk Omega VI tactical pistol holster in Black.

Headgear: Boonie or fatigue cap, MICH helmet stowed for emergencies.
            Communications Gear: Some kiddie walkie talkie.
            Eyewear:Ballistic Goggles or SWDs.

Clothing:
            -OD BDU Pants
            -OD WEP G-8 Jacket
            -Magnum "Response" Boots, lace up.

Sustenance:
            -1-2x 1 quart canteens
            -MREs
            -Filtration Equipment
            Extra Equipment:

Binoculars
            -GDO
            -Spare batteries for all electronic equipment plus spare bulbs for all lights.
            -1st Aid Kit

All that comes to mind now...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
            - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Don't forget season one of MacGyver, a dvd player and t.v. Just incase they need to make a bomb out of a lock of hair, a toothpick, and band-aid. lol. MacGyver is cool.

Owen Macri

Comment

Depending on the environment they would also probably have some sort of emergency shelter.
                sigpic

Comment

and C4, carters tech pen - u know the one that she and ckay use to fiddle around with tech( PJ and the like), jacksons books!
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

Depends on the mission. A lot of times in season one, you see SG-1 lugging the huge backpacks around on a lot of their missions. The more recent seasons, they tend just to go through with their standard equipment and their vests with 'magic' pockets, because they really pull out anything they want from them. =)

Last time I saw poor FRED was Season 6, 'The Other Guys'. Had a crate of MREs on it. I think they might have shipped him out to Atlantis though.

But yeah. If it's a long mission, around 12-24+ hours, they'd probably have their packs on to carry the stuff they need. For a short recon mission, probably nothing other than standard equipment.

Comment

That is because in season one they didn't really know what was out there, they had only been through the gate a couple times, they took enough stuff to be prepared for everything.

In the later seaons a lot of the time they knew what they would be facing, so they didn't have to take every last piece of equipment.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Panther
                        Probably:
                        Primary Arm, Sidearm, Knife, Ammunition, 2x M67 HE grenades.

Load Bearing Gear:
                        -BlackHawkOmega Medical/Utility Vest
                        -BlackHawk 60SLBP
                        -Zat Holster or Blackhawk Omega VI tactical pistol holster in Black.

Eyewear:Ballistic Goggles or SWDs.

Clothing:
                        -OD BDU Pants
                        -OD WEP G-8 Jacket
                        -Magnum "Response" Boots, lace up.

1-2x 1 quart canteens
                        MREs
                        Filtration Equipment
                        Binoculars, GDO, Spare batteries for all electronic equipment plus spare bulbs for all lights, 1st Aid Kit
                        Whoa, Panther! The depth of your answer...well, a little scary actually. But thanks. If you had to estimate the total pack weight of what you've listed, what would you say?

Many others made good points that it would depend on the type of mission. But I don't often see packs...And with what they carry, they often have to run, too.

I looked up some weights of some pretty standard stuff:
                        P-90 + 2 extra clips: 8 lbs
                        Claymores (they always seem to have at least 4) 3.5 lbs each
                        MRE's: 1.5 lbs
                        Water:~2lbs per liter
                        +plus other semi-heavy stuff which would add up fast...flashlight, binoculars, sidearm/ammo, grenades, first aid, radio, GDO...and yes, Daniel's notebook

Anyway, it's all a little intimidating to me. Guess I would really need to start some more serious weight training before heading out with the SG teams!

Comment

When you think about it, it realy doesn't matter what they weigh, when they need something it will magically apear, straight from the hands of the props guys... lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Terrarin
                            Whoa, Panther! The depth of your answer...well, a little scary actually. But thanks. If you had to estimate the total pack weight of what you've listed, what would you say?

Many others made good points that it would depend on the type of mission. But I don't often see packs...And with what they carry, they often have to run, too.

I looked up some weights of some pretty standard stuff:
                            P-90 + 2 extra clips: 8 lbs
                            Claymores (they always seem to have at least 4) 3.5 lbs each
                            MRE's: 1.5 lbs
                            Water:~2lbs per liter
                            +plus other semi-heavy stuff which would add up fast...flashlight, binoculars, sidearm/ammo, grenades, first aid, radio, GDO...and yes, Daniel's notebook

Anyway, it's all a little intimidating to me. Guess I would really need to start some more serious weight training before heading out with the SG teams!
                            It's called special ops selection and training...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
                            - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

I agree your post was very detailed.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X