PDA

View Full Version : SPOILERS- Humans & Ancient tech

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 09:01 AM
I'm a little curious... have they said what percentage of humans possess the gene that allows them to operate Ancient tech? Could someone run the numbers and calculate the odds of multiple Ancient-gene-possessing people working on the Stargate Project? It just feels like an awfully big coincidence. But then, I really suck at math. I'm numerically dyslexic. :)

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 09:09 AM
As far as I know, I don't think there is a percentage, however it does say that only 1 in 16,000 people on Earth can operate the tech. I'm not that good at math to know the answer to that. But divide the population on Earth by 16,000 and you'll get the answer and then down to how many SGC/Atlantis people there are and you'll get the result

SGSlugger
June 9th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I think that the percent is somewhere around 1 or lower. It can't be very high. Well Jack and Sheppard both have the gene, so that has to be a large coindindent.

Presumably, if the people living in the Peagus galaxy are descendants of the Ancients, then they would have to possess the gene.

Aither
June 9th, 2004, 11:13 AM
So, there are 6,000,000,000 / 16,000 = 375,000 people who can operate the Ancients' technologies on Earth :)

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
So, there are 6,000,000,000 / 16,000 = 375,000 people who can operate the Ancients' technologies on Earth :)
And of those 375,000 what are the odds that at least two or three of them would be working in the same place? And keep in mind the highly specialized nature of the work that would go on at SGC.

SGSlugger
June 9th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Well perhaps the gene also accounts for an above-average intelligence? If the SGC is employing the brightest of the bright, then the Ancient gene could give them a better chance of getting in.

I think though, that it would have to be a coincidence.

KorbenDirewolf
June 9th, 2004, 11:34 AM
One is coincidence, two is happenstance, three is plot device...

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Well perhaps the gene also accounts for an above-average intelligence?
So explain O'Neill. ;)

Sorry. I know he's smarter than he looks but there's no way you'll convince me he's "above average" unless you lower the standard for "above". :P

SGSlugger
June 9th, 2004, 12:36 PM
So explain O'Neill. ;)

Sorry. I know he's smarter than he looks but there's no way you'll convince me he's "above average" unless you lower the standard for "above". :P

haha, some how I knew that you'd get me with that.... :p
I dunno, just food for thought. Perhaps you need both parents to have the gene to be super-smart? Could explain Einstien. :cool:

Mr Prophet
June 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
If all the great thinkers in Earth history get their smarts from a wacky recessive alien gene, I'll probably vomit in pure disgust. I have this thing about alien intervention - or even ancient astronaut intervention - being responsible for everything.

Oh, and the percentage is 0.00625%, as not a single one of my Year 7s could tell you, but give me a week!

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I dunno. I'm a little open-minded to the alien intervention thing... so long as it's species-wide. If you boil it down to all the greatest minds in humanity having alien genes, that gets a bit vomit-inducing and sanctimonious.

Unless you play it for laughs like in Men in Black. ;)

Mr Prophet
June 9th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Sure, sure. Aliens made us; fine. Aliens are responsible for everything we achieve that was even vaguely worthwhile; that's my problem. It's the archaeologist in me.

ShadowMaat
June 9th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Sure, sure. Aliens made us; fine. Aliens are responsible for everything we achieve that was even vaguely worthwhile; that's my problem. It's the archaeologist in me.
Well, when you put it that way, you're right. It DOES sound annoying. ;) I've read a few fiction books that touched on the idea without making it sound too pedantic about it. Of course, those authors also didn't tend towards the level of ostentation TPTB seem to favor. ;)

SGSlugger
June 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM
So are you saying that you're upset that we are desendants from the Ancients? ;)

I don't think that our great thinkers are the result of alien intervention, I was just throwing an idea out.

Anubis
June 9th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Only 325,000 people on Earth operating the tech is hardly any. And it's just a coincidence that O'Neill and Shepherd can both do it

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Crazy thought, well to me, not too crazy. Maybe the people who have the genes and can use the Ancients technology are like descendants of... nevermind, right now i don't know, i hope they explain this on the show.

Mr Prophet
June 10th, 2004, 05:32 AM
You think they have a single ancestor? What did you have in mind: A sort of Ancient version of Shaft putting it about all over the Cromagnon world?

sshspooky
June 10th, 2004, 06:05 AM
i don't see why people are finding any problems with this. odds aren't reality. it's like Germany in the 1930s, there were a minority of Jews that had a much higer percentage of better jobs then was likely. There isn't an even spread with this. It's likely that there are certain areas where many peole have the gene and other areas where no-one has it. I wouldn't be surprised if America is full of descendants of a few people who had the gene, and the gene has been passed down through a number of lines.

spook

Andy867
June 10th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Only 325,000 people on Earth operating the tech is hardly any. And it's just a coincidence that O'Neill and Shepherd can both do it

Actually, my theory on O'Neill being able to use the Ancient technology is a direct result of having his mind downloaded with the Ancient's repository. If it can rewrite and activate neurological pathways in the brain that are usually dormant, then its possible to leave a marker or gene in this case, that would allow him to use it. Oh, and its not just Shepperd, apparently Dr Beckett, the field medic, can also use it.

and I was running some basic math figures, and out of the 300-some thousand people, there is about a 1% chance. (1.000533 to be more precise). and so for technically 2 out of 6 billion, the chances are less than .000000000003% (what are the odds of THAT ;) )

ShadowMaat
June 10th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Actually, I'd find that even worse than just a general coincidence of people just happening to have the gene and working at Stargate Command. Coincidences I can learn to live with, but implied arrogance at that level... the sheer audacity of suggesting that Americans are somehow once again slightly "better" than everyone else... no thanks. Now, if there were a concentration of gene-bearers in some random little third world-type country, that might be kinda funny, but I think America is pompous enough without crediting them with a prevalence of Ancient genes. ;)

No offense intended. I'm American, myself. I just hate to see the US being promoted above all other countries (and planets, for that matter). We aren't better or worse than anyone else. But that stuff is probably best left to a political thread. ;)

I'll stick happily with the generic coincidence of gene-bearers in Stargate Command. :D

Anubis
June 10th, 2004, 06:56 AM
I think you ahve a good theory. If the Ancient knowledge is downloaded into you, then you automatically know how to use the stuff, permantly

ShadowMaat
June 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I thought that the reason Jack could download the archive in the first place was because he possessed the gene. That's why Teal'c or Daniel (I've forgotten which) could peer into the archive thingy in Fifth Race without anything happening, but it snagged Jack when he went for a look. I'd be curious how the tech knows which people possess the gene. Is it biomech or something?

Lord You
June 10th, 2004, 08:49 AM
it's like Germany in the 1930s, there were a minority of Jews that had a much higer percentage of better jobs then was likely. Ethnicity actually is not highly derived from genetics.

ShadowMaat
June 10th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Ethnicity actually is not highly derived from genetics.
I'm showing my ignorance here, but I thought that Judaism was a religion, not a genetic code...

Mr Prophet
June 10th, 2004, 09:04 AM
It was Teal'c who couldn't; the theory was that it detected his Goa'uld symbiote and so didn't activate. Daniel tried to use the second archive, but Jack wouldn't let him.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Jewish employment statistics in the 1930s though.

KorbenDirewolf
June 10th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Judaism is a religion, but not all Jews follow it. Jew can be simply defined as one whose religion is Judaism. But thats not the only definition. A Jew can also mean a member of the tribe of Judah or any Iraelite. Also it can refer to those who claim decent from the tribe of Judah or the nation it founed in ancient Palestine, which does not necessarily mean they currently follow the religion. Although, I really don't have a clue what this has to do with this thread, but someone did mention it.

Anubis
June 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM
I don't think the Gou'ald can use the device. I think it detects the symbiote is within the body

Hmmm...I wonder if Anubis could have used it since he was half and half

Andy867
June 10th, 2004, 10:06 AM
it may not have sensed him at all since it probably required cells and other tissues in order to distinguish between energy and an organism. and Since Anubis was pure energy without any shape whatsoever, except perhaps the residual shape from his Goa'ulding days.

Anubis
June 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I think it may be possible for Anubis to use the device, because in Lost City the Jeffa said "My lord. I believe the humans of the Tau'ri posess the device you saught"I'm guessing he wouldn't go after it unless he could use it, and none of his workers could anyway. But Anubis may not even be 'chosen'

Mr Prophet
June 10th, 2004, 10:47 AM
It's always possible that Anubis had some other method of accessing the information, given his partial Ancient knowledge. Either that or he might have planned to use some poor captive as a decoder.

ShadowMaat
June 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Maybe Anubis's host possesses the gene... At least, that's the theory I'm working on in a fic of mine... ;)

KorbenDirewolf
June 10th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Or Anubis could have gone back to some world where he knew an advanced human was..

SGSlugger
June 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I'd always figured that he'd just start having people stick their heads in there. :p

Sam obviously thought that you could download the info from the device onto a computer or something, because they wanted to take it with them and do something with it at the SGC. They dug the one from the wall from the Fifth Race and had been tinkering around with it.

Kelso
June 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM
They speculated that Teal'c couldn't use the device because he was Jaffa... they never knew this for certain.

Mr Prophet
June 10th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't have thought Anubis would want people randomly sticking their heads in that thing, just in case any of them got the download and then turned on him. Of course, it might be that he was going to get someone to download the knowledge, then dredge it out of their cranium with the brain spike.

I suppose if his host was Ancient-geney, he might have downloaded one of them before. That knowledge might have been what enabled him to Ascend, but his Goa'uldiness could have interfered and his genetic memory and the Ancient memories got all tangled and mangled, especially when he gets shoved back down to mortal coildom, hence he doesn't know everything and wants to take a refresher course from another device.

Teal'c
June 10th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Maybe Anubis's host possesses the gene... At least, that's the theory I'm working on in a fic of mine... ;)
.... you saw Full Circle right? :P

And while I'm posting, Dr. Beckett isn't a "field medic" he's a xenobiologist! :P

ShadowMaat
June 10th, 2004, 01:09 PM
.... you saw Full Circle right? :P
Yes, but I din't recall anyone saying, "Anubis's host must possess that special gene that we won't learn about until next season!" :P

Andy867
June 10th, 2004, 01:39 PM
And while I'm posting, Dr. Beckett isn't a "field medic" he's a xenobiologist! :P

Whether you are being sci-fi humorous or not, I just thought I'd point this out from GW.net

Originally Posted by GW.net
DR. CARSON BECKETT
PLAYED BY - Paul McGillion
The team's medical doctor, Beckett is a Scottish man with a witty sense of humor. Beckett must become an expert in xenobiology when he joins the expedition to the Pegasus galaxy, and he learns early on that he possesses the rare gene that allows him to use the Ancients' technology.

greytop
June 28th, 2004, 07:01 AM
I have an idea why some humans processes the gene and some don't. When the Ancients went to the higher plain, or moved from Earth, some of them were stranded here and intermarried with the locals.

Anubis
June 28th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Possibly, or the ones that died passed on their gene as an ancient to oneof their choice

Whitster
June 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Well Becketts Scottish actually, and although I agree it's right not to put one nation as better than the others, putting the Scots as better is just plain silly.

Anubis
June 28th, 2004, 11:03 AM
True, but glad to see that the show will feature those with the gene and also show the reaction to those without it

Teal'c
June 28th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Well Becketts Scottish actually, and although I agree it's right not to put one nation as better than the others, putting the Scots as better is just plain silly.
At least the Scots can lose with grace :P

Z_2
August 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM
I was looking for anything about the Ancients and numbers (related to my newbie post (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=3191)), and this thread came up. So, outta the blue, I'm posting to an older thread (though not related to my search)!

If the gene is confirmed in Dr. Carson Beckett and John Sheppard, wouldn't it be a good idea to test their siblings or parents and/or trace back their genealogy to find other possibly likely ATA-gene carrying folks? Should there be an increased probability that the ATA gene is found in relatives of Sheppard and Beckett?

brooks_lt
August 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Actually, I'd find that even worse than just a general coincidence of people just happening to have the gene and working at Stargate Command. Coincidences I can learn to live with, but implied arrogance at that level... the sheer audacity of suggesting that Americans are somehow once again slightly "better" than everyone else... no thanks. Now, if there were a concentration of gene-bearers in some random little third world-type country, that might be kinda funny, but I think America is pompous enough without crediting them with a prevalence of Ancient genes. ;)

No offense intended. I'm American, myself. I just hate to see the US being promoted above all other countries (and planets, for that matter). We aren't better or worse than anyone else. But that stuff is probably best left to a political thread. ;)

I'll stick happily with the generic coincidence of gene-bearers in Stargate Command. :D

I'll give you my theory, which is discussed at greater length here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=61325&postcount=19), that the ancients came back through the gate shortly before the Egyptian rebellion against Ra and burial of Earth's only functioning Stargate. They then preceded to settle in the mediterranean region: Northern Africa, the Iberian Peninsula, Gaul, Italy, Greecy, Turkey, etc, and especially likely, given its remoteness, the British Isles and Ireland. Therefore, people likely to have ATA would be from those areas. This could help explain the prevalence of the gene in people with names like O'Neill, Sheppard, and Beckett. We all need to remember what the hologram lady said in Rising about how they hoped that one day their kind would return to Atlantis and defeat the Wraith. This is why I think that they intermingled with the humans on Earth, after the Goa'uld were expelled, so that their genes would live on and allow future generations of Earth's humans to access and utilize the technology and knowledge they left behind. But, that's just a theory. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say that Sheppard is more Ancient than most people with ATA, which could help explain his proficiency with Ancient tech (especially if we include latent genetic memory as a characteristic of the ancients). Check out the link above for a more detailed look at my broader theory about the Ancients Timeline. :cool:

Andy867
August 10th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Well, did you forget that Beckett himself not only discovered the gene and has it, he is also Scottish. And now that McKay has the gene, it shows that in fact that the writers are weining away from implying nationalism in the direction of America.

ShadowMaat
August 10th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Since this is my thread, I'll ask kindly that folks leave the political BS for another thread. This is about humans, genes, and ancient tech, NOT POLITICS.

Thank you.

EDIT: Incidentally, McKay is CANADIAN.

cobraR478
August 10th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Well with my limited understanding of genetics, I have come up with this theory on why Sheppard seems "more ancient" than everyone else. It is my understanding that a Gene is either D(Dominant) or R(recessive). And when the DNA of the parents are combined you will get a pair in their offspring.

When that pair is DR, the dominant gene is shown. DD will also show the dominant gene, and RR will show the recessive gene. Perhaps when a person is DR with the Ancient gene being the D, you will have a limited ability to use the technology. Perhaps Shepard is DD which would somehow give a person same ability to use the technology as an Ancient; which would lead me to conclude that all ancients are DD. Perhaps this gene is one of the few traits that make us different.

I'm sorry if I was unable to explain this properly. Hopefully someone with a better understanding up what I'm talking about will understand and clarify.

ShadowMaat
August 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM
From what little I remember of my high school biology classes, cobra, that makes sense. It's a nice, logical explanation. Which is probably why it isn't true. ;)

SPOILERS for S7 Fragile Balance
I'm waiting for it to be revealed that Shep was abducted by Loki at some point and improved slightly along the way. ;)

Kidding, of course, but since he can't have been through Nirrti's genetic cuisinart... *sigh*

cobraR478
August 10th, 2004, 08:59 PM
My head still hurts from dragging out 9th grade biology class from the depths of my mind :D

Andy867
August 10th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Though the biological sense does have merit, my theory is that along with the genetics of the Ancient gene, it is also based on other factors, like understanding of systems and the capable minds of those with the gene (Shep being a closet mathematical genius certainly earns some brownie points for using the technology) and with Shep's military training, he has the ability to be a quick thinker and his mind provides the doorway for the gene to do its thing.

Lugal
August 11th, 2004, 07:08 AM
If Beckett discovered the ATA gene and can give it to Rodney, they must have a way of testing for it, so maybe all they need is a blood sample, and if the person has the gene they contact them and offer them a place on Atlantis. That would explain why so many people on Atlantis have the gene.

Andy867
August 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Well, in reality, once Beckett had the retro-gene from the mouse for the delivery of the Ancient gene, he had to use humans for experimentation (though McKay obviously volunteered for the first human trial) and it appears as though the FDA wont have a say in this matter;) (Its legal in the Pegasus Galaxy;) ) Its one thing to know HOW something should happen, but with something as complex as the human body, the slightest miscalculation could lead to something as deadly as the uncontrollable urge to run in a small wheel ;) or worse.

They call me Tim
August 11th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Well I can see why America might have a bunch of gene people as well as Europe...It is not that we are better(listen to McKay on that one) We are the great melting pot after all so although O'neill and Shep being American they obviously came from somewhere else as well...Scotland seems well represented if not in country but in last names(lineage)...and I like the idea that the military(either US or elsewhere) has a bunch because it could just be that those with the ATA gene desire greater challenges like flying, science, and those things that the Ancients were good at...and of course Daniel said that they were the Teachers of Roads...so maybe like the people in Window of Opp, the Anceints on Earth realized their defeat, accepted it, and let the end come and became a part of human society...I think that they could do something really cool with Shep's ability to use the gene so well and I hope that it is more detailed than just simple luck

chiefchucky
August 11th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Um Sheppard was in no which way affiliated with the SGC as he was stationed in Mucmurdo Antartica and hadn't even heard of the stargate before Rising 1&2. So the only one with the Ancient Gene at the SGC that we know of so far is O'Neill.

Z_2
August 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Well with my limited understanding of genetics, I have come up with this theory on why Sheppard seems "more ancient" than everyone else. It is my understanding that a Gene is either D(Dominant) or R(recessive). And when the DNA of the parents are combined you will get a pair in their offspring.

When that pair is DR, the dominant gene is shown. DD will also show the dominant gene, and RR will show the recessive gene. Perhaps when a person is DR with the Ancient gene being the D, you will have a limited ability to use the technology. Perhaps Shepard is DD which would somehow give a person same ability to use the technology as an Ancient; which would lead me to conclude that all ancients are DD. Perhaps this gene is one of the few traits that make us different.

I'm sorry if I was unable to explain this properly. Hopefully someone with a better understanding up what I'm talking about will understand and clarify.
So do you figure there is an increased chance of finding others with the ATA gene by testing Beckett's and Sheppard's siblings and their ancestors?

cobraR478
August 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Yes. According to my theory, Sheppard's parents would have had a 50% chance of having a child with a ability at Beckett's level(DR), a 25% chance for Sheppard's level(DD), and a 25% chance of not having the gene at all(RR). (This is assuming his parents are both DR.)(For Sheppard to be DD they would both have to be at least DR; or one DD and the other DR)

In Beckett's family, it is much harder to determine the ratio of family members with the gene because he would be DR if I am correct. His parents could be: DD/RR, DR/DR, DR/RR.

But yes, there's a much higher probability of someone in Sheppard or Beckett's faimly having the Ancient Gene.

ShadowMaat
August 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM
I wondered, in general, if they tried testing/recruiting other members of the gene-bearer's families. Not just Shep and Beckett, but all those who have the gene.

Also, do they just stick to testing the "best and the brightest" or do they set up some kind of subversive national testing program (saying it's to do with inoculations against germ warfare or similar nonsense) and find EVERYONE who has the gene, even Tanya the Hairdresser in New Orleans. ;)

Z_2
August 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Yes. According to my theory, Sheppard's parents would have had a 50% chance of having a child with a ability at Beckett's level(DR), a 25% chance for Sheppard's level(DD), and a 25% chance of not having the gene at all(RR). (This is assuming his parents are both DR.)(For Sheppard to be DD they would both have to be at least DR; or one DD and the other DR)

In Beckett's family, it is much harder to determine the ratio of family members with the gene because he would be DR if I am correct. His parents could be: DD/RR, DR/DR, DR/RR.

But yes, there's a much higher probability of someone in Sheppard or Beckett's faimly having the Ancient Gene.
So the odds of having more than one ATA gene carrying person with the Stargate Atlantis crew is slim, but the odds of finding the other 374,998-ish should go up if it follows some genetic laws and you test the relatives. If they find other people who have the ATA gene, seems like they'd try to recruit them if they can be trained to control the use of the gene (unlike Beckett in the chair). Even a human version of JarJarBinks could prove useful even if the person isn't the most graceful...

Also, could the ATA be a "mutation" that shows up randomly, or a recessive gene, where you'll need "RR" to activate it? On second thought, scratch that.

dd78matt
October 5th, 2004, 04:59 PM
1/16000 = .00625%
ya, so 375,000 ppl would have the gene, if the humna pop is 6 bil, im not sure

Alpha17X
October 5th, 2004, 10:32 PM
The gene was synthesised and injected into ... like everyone. Shepperd has it hardcore, O'Neil seems to only be able to do it when the repository has sex with his brain. and Beckett had it a bit but can't control it worth crap.

Jafana
October 6th, 2004, 12:17 AM

I have to agree. I think stargate tends toward the blatantly patriotic a bit too much sometimes (ie. heroes and that flag at the end) and trying to get us to believe that Americans are somehow better because the hold the majority of the ancient gene is a little too hard to swallow.

I'm actually still not convinced that the Ancients are as 'great' as some people seem to think either. Thus going against the idea that some people are better than others because they happen to hold the gene.
(Think Hide and Seek - they were researching ascention. It didn't come naturally to them.)

and didn't they (or at least thats what i thought weir said), after lost city, go out and head hunt all those people with the gene.
I thought she said in Rising that she'd been collecting people with the gene since they found out about it, just on the possibility that they might find the lost city.

ShadowMaat
October 6th, 2004, 03:41 AM
In other words, maybe Americans are more like the Ancients than we think? They seem like a great people, and they certainly seem to have a high opinion of themselves, but the more you learn about them the darker they become. ;)

rmbeast
October 6th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I might be wrong but did they say 20%.

buckner
October 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
So the odds of having more than one ATA gene carrying person with the Stargate Atlantis crew is slim, but the odds of finding the other 374,998-ish should go up if it follows some genetic laws and you test the relatives. If they find other people who have the ATA gene, seems like they'd try to recruit them if they can be trained to control the use of the gene (unlike Beckett in the chair). Even a human version of JarJarBinks could prove useful even if the person isn't the most graceful...

Also, could the ATA be a "mutation" that shows up randomly, or a recessive gene, where you'll need "RR" to activate it? On second thought, scratch that.
No I think that it would be a recessive gene. So it would take a rr person to have the gene.

Andy867
October 6th, 2004, 03:21 PM
To be as rare as what Beckett plays it out to be, it would have to be recessive instead of dominant. But another thing to consider is why a person like Sheppard has greater control over the gene and manipulation than say that of a person like Beckett. Is it because of Sheppard's military training and the years of having to have a focused mine, or is biology more dominant (no pun intended). In other words, would a person with rr bemore likely to have better control than say a person with Dr //Dominant recessive.? Hopefully the show expands on how a person can have so much control over a gene, whereas others have to work at it.

And going on the whole nationality rationale. I completely disagree with the notion that the producers and writers are trying to convey that Americans are better or greater than the rest of the world, and a good episode that plays off that is The Storm in which McKay (Canadian) and Slovenka (Swedish) are the ones who come up with the idea of using Atlantis as a massive lightning rod to power the shield generator. Sure the show is primarily based out of Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado, but also remember that there were key factors that showed how corrupt citizens of a nation like America could be (aka the Trust/Former NID/The Comittee). I feel the show really represents the world as it is, and doesnt play to one side or another.

cobraR478
October 6th, 2004, 03:30 PM
There are many rare dominant genes. Can you explain why it has to be recessive?

dd78matt
October 6th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Thor did say O'Neil is more advanced then other humans. And i believe it was Daniel who said this, but that we were the 2nd evolution of humans, meaning that eventually we would evolve into the Ancients, not ascended necissarily, which would explain why some human have the gene

Andy867
October 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Well, Beckett said in Rising that they were first, we are second in this form of evolution.

dd78matt
October 6th, 2004, 04:21 PM
many dominat genes arent as common as the recessive, because they evolved later in human history; curly hair is a dominant gene. six fingers is also a dominant gene

alaskannut
October 6th, 2004, 06:30 PM
So explain O'Neill. ;)

ooooooooohhhh...burn

Andy867
October 6th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Actually, according to both Loki and Thor in Fragile Balance, it was determined that O'Neill was in fact more advanced in the evolutionary development than that of the previous generation.

Simpsons did it!
October 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I'm a little curious... have they said what percentage of humans possess the gene that allows them to operate Ancient tech? Could someone run the numbers and calculate the odds of multiple Ancient-gene-possessing people working on the Stargate Project? It just feels like an awfully big coincidence. But then, I really suck at math. I'm numerically dyslexic. :)
Umm, where's the spoiler as your threat title advertised?

ShadowMaat
October 7th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Umm, where's the spoiler as your threat title advertised?
There are general spoilers for Atlantis and for Lost City since it wasn't until then that we knew about the gene and I wanted to make sure that people were free to discuss specific plot points in SGA without causing anyone to get overly upset about "unwarned" spoilers.

And exactly how is it a "threat" to warn of potential spoilers?

Would you care to actually join the conversation and share your thoughts on humans and their connection to Ancient tech?