PDA

View Full Version : Im just curious

NotAllowedToNameAnything.Ever.
May 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Is it jus me but in scifi. why is it when a ship is badly damaged the lights go out but there is still enough power for artifcial gravity? Seems to me artifcial gravity would take up more power then the lights.

Lida
May 26th, 2005, 09:27 PM
You are right and you have a point, but if the artificial gravity went offline every time the lights went out, they would all die by the time they left dry dock, or the stargate equivilent. lol.

Owen Macri

You beat me! I wanted to post that, only I wouldn't have answered as well as you did! :) ;)

Reminds me of Wormhole Extreme, when one of TPTB asks Jack if you can shoot an alien if you're not weightless......at least, I think that's what he asks. LOL

_Owen_
May 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM
You would have posted it just as well as me, maybe better. You know what, I will delete my post so that you can post it!

Owen

Panther
May 27th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Well let's try to explain that...

There's a seperate power system and circutry for the grav generators...

Yes...well....um...you try one ya git!:D

~Thor~
May 27th, 2005, 03:14 AM
You are right and you have a point, but if the artificial gravity went offline every time the lights went out, they would all die by the time they left dry dock, or the stargate equivilent. lol.

It would make sense that the artificial gravity would have higher priority than the lights.

_Owen_
May 27th, 2005, 05:47 AM
You are right, they could have the ship route power to artificial gravity automatically, of course if they had my redundant shields. lol. However, remember that episode of Voyager "Year of Hell" they were pretty much dead in space and the artificial gravity was still online.

However there are several other possibilities, perhaps the power source powers the generators directly, and also keeps a seprate, very large battery, charged, so when the other power source is compromised the battery will feed power to the gravity generators, until they can find a suitable replacement power source.

Owen Macri

Skydiver
May 27th, 2005, 08:06 AM
because, special effects wise, it's tons cheaper to turn off lights or suggest that they're running out of air than it is to hook all the actors up to harnesses and swing them around the set to simulate a loss of gravity

Stricken
May 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM
because, special effects wise, it's tons cheaper to turn off lights or suggest that they're running out of air than it is to hook all the actors up to harnesses and swing them around the set to simulate a loss of gravity

Yes and you must remeber its a T.V show and not real life although it seems like it is!

aAnubiSs
May 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM
For the obvious reason. If the AG-fields went down they'd all die within the next millisecond, however one can live without life support systems and lights for a while :)

Seastallion
May 27th, 2005, 09:26 AM
It's also possible that the gravity generators may have some sort of capacity to continue operating for a limited time even after the power has been cut off. Sort of the way a battery holds a charge, a gravity generator might be able to continue providing gravity until its charge has run out. Then, one would presume that you'd best have restored power by then, or you'll be floating around. It's a thought.

In realistic terms of course, your very likely right... but it's a TV show and floating cost money... lights out, don't. (or not as much... :p )

:eek:

Hudson
May 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM
the damage convinently misses that system, dodge targeting computers i guess

_Owen_
May 27th, 2005, 01:03 PM
They wouldn't die, they would just float around a bit.

And yes, I think everyone realised that it was a matter of cost, but if we analysed the show like that, how much fun would we have?

In response to Seastallion, yes that is what I was going for in my last post in this thread.

Owen Macri

May 27th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Okay a battery for the ag and none for the lights. These have to be the same people who built the chairs without seatbelts. I rather have lights then grav if the power goes you can still work in no grav.

_Owen_
May 27th, 2005, 07:58 PM
It would be far easier to work in the dark with gravity and luminesent control panels. Without gravity generators, any bump would cause you to fly to one side, or rather, the ship would go to one side, and you wouldn't, then you would hit the side of the ship. Without gravity you would need some sort of magnetic boots, otherwise you would be floating all over the ship.

Owen Macri

May 27th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Yah i know its what real astronaughts or trained for.

_Owen_
May 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I don't think the people commanding the Prometheus and Daedalus are "real" astronauts, they are just military! NASA is soooo far behind, lol.

Owen Macri

May 27th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Justing saying people do it all the time now. All you need to do is bungie yourself. Heck even those on the futureistic ships would have to be able to work in zero g to preform repairs to the haul.

okay i did think of one reason the gravity would take priority. The toliets or liquied filled like you have in your house and not the standerd vacuum space kind. In that case I would totall go with your way of thinking.

_Owen_
May 27th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Astronauts are trained to work in a small space and don't expect constant weapons fire on the hull, were the gravity generators on the prometheus to fail, they would float all over the bridge, it would be incredibly hard to work in that large a space with no gravity. The consoles in our shuttles are designed to be used in close to zero gravity, the panels in The Prometheus, and etc. were designed to be used with gravity, it would be incredibly hard.

Owen Macri

SeaBee
May 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Is it jus me but in scifi. why is it when a ship is badly damaged the lights go out but there is still enough power for artifcial gravity? Seems to me artifcial gravity would take up more power then the lights.
Yeah, but suspending a bunch of actors is a lot more expensive than turning off the lights, therefore there will always be enough power for gravity. ;)

_Owen_
May 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
That is also a pretty good reason.

Owen Macri

aAnubiSs
May 28th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Also since you're almost always moving in space if AG failed you'd be crushed to the wall with a force of a few 1000 g's

_Owen_
May 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM
You aren't always moving in space, but if you did have your anti grav generators fail you would probably be in a fight, and you would porbably be taking fire, so here you would be thrown against a wall pretty fast.

Owen Macri

~Thor~
May 29th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Also since you're almost always moving in space if AG failed you'd be crushed to the wall with a force of a few 1000 g's
Only if you are accelerating. You would usually be traveling at a constant speed, although in a fight you would have to turn and accelerate/deaccelerate quite a bit.

_Owen_
May 29th, 2005, 06:43 AM
That is pretty much what I was saying.

Evasive maneuvers...

Owen Macri

SmartEagle
May 29th, 2005, 03:36 PM
The lighting system is probably set up so they would be the first to go in case of an attack, because they are the least important feature. It's sort of like how the front of a car is desingned to crumple instead of hold tight if it runs into something... it takes the blow, and the cruicial interior parts are relatively undamaged.

May 29th, 2005, 10:03 PM
now where fighting in the dark. guess its a good thing we actually have night vision goggles.

_Owen_
May 29th, 2005, 10:35 PM
You forget that the control consoles are luminescent, in the dark or in the light it won't matter you will still be able to see them because they emit there own light.

Owen Macri

May 30th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I am talking about the enemy who is boarding or ship.

_Owen_
May 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Oh, sorry, I thought you meant that we... never mind, sorry.

Owen Macri

SeaBee
June 1st, 2005, 05:05 AM
Also, if an enemy has boarded, then the firefight looks so much cooler in subdued lighting.

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 03:11 PM
I could agree with that, the luminescent energy bursts would have a cooler effect.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM
And without gravity, they'd be so much cooler...

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 08:39 PM
Ya they would be floating all over the halls and then they would shoot each other and fly backwards into somewall... lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 08:43 PM
But then it costs the show much more for the special effects, so the Antigrav will almost never break.

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 08:52 PM
Maybe once in the entire series... lol, I only remember once with the original Star Trek cast when there was no gravity generators active and that was for like 2 minutes in one of the movies. I don't remember in an episode.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 08:56 PM
Yup. Enterprise had a few scenes like that. It's a neato effect, though.

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Ya, I agree it is cool!

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 09:05 PM
Ya they would be floating all over the halls and then they would shoot each other and fly backwards into somewall... lol.

Owen Macri

Hate to be the guy who flies backward and smacks a wall. Ouch!:rolleyes:

_Owen_
June 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
They could always steal the Michellin Mans' suit, that would be fun!

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 12:18 PM
lol. Be a bit tough to fly a spaceship in that, ya think?

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
Unless they had a neural interface. Then they could float around in 0g and fly the ship around. Ship goes left... people hit the wall on the right, ship goes right, people hit the wall on the left. lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
lol. But then we run into classic problems: The ship develops a mind of it's own, all of the people on the ship with the neural interface die and there's no way to pilot it, the crew all have to itch their noses under their big, white, fluffy suits, etc :P :D

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Lol, those would make the episodes!

101 "The Unscratchable Itch"
102 "Rogue Ship (Part 1)" (1st part of season one finale)
103 "Death By Control (Part 2) (2nd part of season one finale)

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
It'd be season 1 of Stargate: Michellin Mans' suit

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
lol

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 02:16 PM
I guess that the crossover episodes would deal with putting new tires on those pesky SG-1 golf carts. When SG-1's too old to walk, who says that they can't still explore? :D :P :)

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 02:32 PM
Lol, when they get old they will just ascend and keep exploring that way.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Ok then, SG-3's golf carts :P

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
lol.

Owen Macri