This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entitlement and the Modern Fandom

I stumbled across an interesting article about fandoms and figured I'd share the linky:

http://www.websnark.com/archives/200...ement_and.html

The author has some very good insights into the ways and what-fors of fandoms and I love that he chose Marmaduke fandom as his example. LOL! The stuff about Entitlement is particularly good, talking about how some fans seem to think that because they have invested so much time and effort into being a [fill in blank] fan, they have a right to dictate what happens in the show/comic/dance troupe/whatever.

I hadn't heard that stuff about Sorkin ridiculing internet fanboards, either. Wow. Way to burn a pretty important bridge. I know that there was a bit on Monk a while back that poked fun at the fans screaming about the original theme song. I thought it was pretty funny, myself (even though I agreed that the original song was better) but now I wonder what Monk fans thought of it.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what (if any) kind of reaction it got. It's too bad there's no real solution to the Entitlists Problem other than ignoring them. Judging from the article, getting TPTB involved tends only to exacerbate the situation and make it even worse for everyone...

VERY interesting. I would tend to agree with, well, damned near everything in the article, too. Entitlement's darker head is indeed a dangerous and unnecessary but ever-vigilant practice.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Well, what he didn't mention about Sorkin is that the TwoP people got ticked off at him and banned him for no apparent reason. Fandom is awfully fun sometimes. As for the episode in which he mocked forums, I had to admit that he was hilariously right. There are really intelligent people who post on forums, but I think we all have our stupid moments, and unfortunately it's in front of the whole world when we do.

Interesting article. Thanks for the link!
      Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
      Last update: 14 April 2006
      Melyanna's Multimedia
      Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

That was a great article. And eerily familiar. I haven't been around many fandoms but sounds like they're all the same.

particularly enjoyed these quotes...

If you invest so much of your own sense of well being into a comic strip that anything bad happening to the comic strip characters feels like a personal affront, you officially need to get a f*** hobby away from your computer.

*snip*

the Fandom will do what the Fandom will do, some asshats will be in the Fandom and will act asshatty, and -- most importantly -- an implicit offer of free sex over the comic strip you create will turn into the most expensive sex you have ever had.

I was totally clueless on the sex thing. Puts a whole new spin on "fan feedback".
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Well, I always knew there were groupies (and conventions can be particularly eye-opening in that regard) but the sheer scope of it (meaning which folks will get "offers") is still a little surprising. I mean... the comic strip creators?? Someone like Neil Gaiman I can see having groupies, 'cause he's a bit of an oddball (in a good way) but Marmaduke's creator (I know that was just an example) or maybe the Get Fuzzy guy... that's just bizarre to me.

I'll definitely agree with the need for the uber-obsessives to step back and get a hobby, though. I've crossed paths with a few of them and they're kinda scary. A LOT scary, maybe. Stargate (for example) is good, but it isn't a substitute for life.

Chocolate fandom would be another story, though, because chocolate IS life!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Yeah... exactly. I... I think.
            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Mmmm... Chocolate, wait what was the article about? Fandoms! Right... anyway thanks for posting it was fascinating.
              Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                That was a great article. And eerily familiar. I haven't been around many fandoms but sounds like they're all the same.

particularly enjoyed these quotes...

If you invest so much of your own sense of well being into a comic strip that anything bad happening to the comic strip characters feels like a personal affront, you officially need to get a f*** hobby away from your computer.

*snip*

the Fandom will do what the Fandom will do, some asshats will be in the Fandom and will act asshatty, and -- most importantly -- an implicit offer of free sex over the comic strip you create will turn into the most expensive sex you have ever had.

I was totally clueless on the sex thing. Puts a whole new spin on "fan feedback".
                His literal interpretation of "we give a f***" had me howling with laughter! I never considered taking my support of Stargate this far....

Comment

I'm glad I fall into the happy medium of fandom.

I wonder if there have been any studies done on extreme fans, that would also be an interesting read. This might be a handy article to bring up in my tutorials for my Popular Culture unit next semester. I know that we are doing one or two weeks on Fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                    His literal interpretation of "we give a f***" had me howling with laughter! I never considered taking my support of Stargate this far....
                    Even with all those jokes floating around a few years back about certain fans spending time in the hot tub with TPTB, I never quite took the next logical step. Sheesh. I love Atlantis, but I'm not gonna sleep with one of the producers just to get him to do what I want on the show. Maybe for other reasons () but not for that. Pfft. Only amateurs need to take it in that direction.

Comment

Maybe for other reasons () but not for that.
                      I'm so not gonna ask...

Comment

Even with all those jokes floating around a few years back about certain fans spending time in the hot tub with TPTB, I never quite took the next logical step.
                        oh yes, i know that one well.

now, see if the folks making up the stories had bothered to look, they would have known that

a) the hot tub at the richmond inn is a small one. maybe 6 people can fit in it

b) good freaking luck getting within 200 feet of it because the Gatecon crew (as in the organizers, seurity and such) took possession of it every single night and your average con-goer could literally not get IN the hot tub much less do anything else
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I hadn't heard that stuff about Sorkin ridiculing internet fanboards, either. Wow. Way to burn a pretty important bridge. I know that there was a bit on Monk a while back that poked fun at the fans screaming about the original theme song. I thought it was pretty funny, myself (even though I agreed that the original song was better) but now I wonder what Monk fans thought of it.
                          i about died laughing when i watched that eps because it was so true.

Josh had groupies, they were on a board, he posted to them, they ranted, he ranted etc, etc, etc until CJ had to order him to stop posting and to keep his tush off the net
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

VERY entertaining article - thanks for the link, Shadow! I felt I could relate, even if in the most miniscule of ways, to his remarks about "the overwhelming number of comments (cartoonists) get -- whether in e-mail or on their forums -- demanding things of them," and thus had a much needed belly-laugh with my lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                              yes THAT was amusing! I don't think I care about anything THAT much.
                              Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Working...
                              X