This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHD confusion

I've just finished watching 48 Hours, the one where they negotiate with the Russians to borrow their DHD so they can get Teal'c out of the Stargate's memory, and I'm confused about something. Chances are that I've just missed something in an earlier episode, but hopefully one of your guys will know.

Earth has two Stargates.

The "alpha" gate was discovered buried under Giza Plateau, and became the gate used by the SGC for the first few years. No DHD was discovered with it, instead the Germans found it and was recovered by the Russians at the end of WW2.

The "beta" gate was discovered buried in Antartica along with its DHD. Both were placed in storage at Area 51, and while there were used by the rogue NID operation until its discovery in Touchstone. After this the beta gate is transferred to the SGC (presumably with its DHD).

During the events in Nemesis/Small Victories the alpha gate is presumed destroyed in the Beliskner crash, and replaced at the SGC by the beta gate.

In fact, the alpha gate is recovered from the bottom of the ocean by the Russians, connected to the DHD they recovered from the Germans, and used (briefly) in their own Stargate program.

In 48 Hours, the Americans borrow the Russian's DHD to rescue Teal'c, and in the process blow it up.

What I don't understand is why this is necessary; from above, the SGC has the DHD from the beta gate and the Russians had the DHD from the alpha gate. So why didn't the SGC just plug in their DHD? In fact, why haven't the SGC done this before and replaced their jury-rigged dialing computer?

Almost certainly, I've missed the loss or destruction of the beta-gate DHD (I can't believe there would be a plot-hole that big in the series), but where did it happen?

The Beta gate DHD was one of the oldest in the network and probably low on power, I think they said this in the show, but I can't remember. I do know one thing for sure, the Beta gate DHD remained at Area 51, presumably for study.

Owen Macri

Comment

the beta DHD was mentioned by carter in "Frozen" she said that they studied it and it was one of the oldest they had come across, the power supply died shortly after it was recovered, indicating that the power supply in the DHD's is a finite source

Comment

Thank you, I knew that I had heard that somewhere.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
          indicating that the power supply in the DHD's is a finite source
          At least in that particular DHD. It could have been using outdated hardware in comparison to the rest of the network due to its age.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes that is a possiblitiy, it was one of the oldest gates in the network, therfore it was probably an earlier model.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              At least in that particular DHD. It could have been using outdated hardware in comparison to the rest of the network due to its age.
              while anything is possible there has never ben any indication that the ancients had different models of gates or DHD's in the same galaxy. we know they had a different style for pegasus, but even then it seems to just be cosmetic, as far as we know and have ever been given any indication, every gate and DHD is exactly the same in this galaxy.

Comment

There obviously was more than one model of the DHD in a galaxy, if this DHD was far older and had a less powerful source of energy than it was another model.

Owen Macri

Comment

Ah, cool; I hadn't missed anything because the episode you find out is a later in the series... sounds a bit like post-hole patching to me but the writers are only human I guess, well most of them <g>

Comment

That is good, I hope we could help.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      There obviously was more than one model of the DHD in a galaxy, if this DHD was far older and had a less powerful source of energy than it was another model.

Owen Macri
                      where did it ever say the power source in the antartica DHD was different or less powerful than other ones they have found. they never said anything about the antartic DHD being different in any way other than being one of the oldest they had found so far. sam said that the DHD died shortly after they found it which implied to her that the power source the DHD's is a finite supply. she never said or gave any indication that the one that died was different in anyway, and her implication was that it was the same as the rest, only older so it may be that all DHD's will eventually die. it has never been said or implied that there are different models of DHD's in this galaxy, and it has been generally accepted that almost all gates and DHD's are exactly the same except for ours because our system is jerry-rigged.

Comment

They never specifically stated that it was less powerful, but it is reasonable to assume that this was an earlier model with some diffrence from the current ones. I base this on the fact that it seems as though the ancients put out some gates and then put out more gates a significant amount of time later, it is reasonable to assume that they would have improved the device since then.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          They never specifically stated that it was less powerful, but it is reasonable to assume that this was an earlier model with some diffrence from the current ones. I base this on the fact that it seems as though the ancients put out some gates and then put out more gates a significant amount of time later, it is reasonable to assume that they would have improved the device since then.

Owen Macri
                          but thats just it, it is an assumption. logically, yes, if the gate network was set up in stages (which has never been said either) you would think there would be improvements or changes, but it has never been said or implied that that happened so it is a baseless assumption. what more than likely happened is that the gatenetwork was done all at the same time, but given the distances involved and the need to travel by ship to place gates in new systems, it would take a long long time, thousand or tens of thousands of years, to place them all so by the time the last gate was placed, the first gate is considerably older. an undertaking of that scale, spreading gates to thousands of planets would require a lot of work and resources just to manufacture and place the gates, and if they went and started making changes in the middle of establishing the network it would slow things down. thats why the pegasus gates are different, they are the new model. stargates v.1.1. the stargates in this galaxy are v 1.0.

Comment

This is the Ancients we are talking about here, thousands of years my A.., i would think that they would have eventually updated all of them and that the gate in Antarctica was just an old model that they left lying around, remember Atlantis was is Antarctica for several million years and it has it's own Stargate, so there would be no need to update the earth gate because it probably wasn't use at all by the time they left

P.S. i hope that is not to confusing

Comment

I would have to agree with Col. Newman, it would not take the Ancients such an incredibly large amount of time to cross the galaxy, if it did do you have any idea how long it would have taken them to put gates in the other galaxies? They would probably still be at it now!

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X