This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert A. Heinleins' "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag"

I just finished reading this book, it is I think the best one Sci-Fi that I have ever read. Not only is it science fiction, it is part fantasy, part horror, part detective mystery. It is incredible! It is so good there isn't a word to express its' goodness! Anyone who has read it I would like to hear your comments, anyone who hasn't, I suggest that you read it. It doesn't even matter what kind of story you like, it is all in there, if there is a kind of story that you don't like, you won't even notice it, and if there is a kind of story you do like it will stand out the most. There is only one condition to this thread, there are absolutly NO SPOILERS about this book allowed, it has an incredible ending, and it is like nothing anyone would ever expect so don't ruin it! NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!!

Thank you very much for any input! NO SPOILERS!

Owen Macri
    Last edited by _Owen_; 24 May 2005, 04:17 PM. Reason: My terrible spelling! lol.

I'll just say this. Heinlein was a weird cat.

I've read a few of his books, and even enjoyed them. However, I wouldn't want to try some of his stuff in real life. Could get sticky, not to mention possibly even dangerous. ...or just weird.
    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Pleeeeeeeeeeese can I have a spoiler???
      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I will give you the premise of the book, but I am not going to give anything away.

Basically this book revolves around this man, Jonathan Hoag. He doesn't know what he does in the daytime, it is just a blank. He wakes up in the morning, eats breakfast, has his tea, and then suddenly he is home and it is the evening, like he skipped the entire day. Just to make it worse everyday he finds a brownish grime under his finger nails, and I quote from the begining of the book

"It is blood, doctor? Jonathan Hoag moistened his lips with his tonge and leaned forward in the chair, trying to see what was written on the slip of papper the medico held.

Dr. Potbury brought the slip of paper closer to his vest and looked at Hoag over his spectacles. Any particular reason, he asked, why you should find blood under your fingernails?

No, that is to say- Well, no- there isn't. But it is blood-isn't it?

No, Potbury said heavily. No it isn't blood.

Hoag new that he should have felt relieved. But he was not. He knew in that moment that he had clung to the notion that the brown grime under his fingernails was dry blood rather than let himself dwell on other, less tolerable, ideas. He felt sick at his stomach. But he had to know- what is it doctor? Tell me.

Potbury looked him up and down. You asked me a specific question. I've answered it. You did not ask me what the substance was; you asked me to find out whether or not it was blood. It is not.

But- You are playing with me. Show me the analysis.

Hoag half rose from his chair and reached for the slip of paper.

The doctor held it away from him, then tore it carefully in two. Placing the two pieces together he tore them again, and again.

Why, you!

Take your practice elsewhere, Potbury anwered. Never mind the fee. Get out. And don't come back."

After that he hires a detective and his wife to investigate him and find out what he does in the day. This leads them on a wild goose chase, involving companies, rooms, and floors, that apparently do not exist, as well as a dream-world of people... or creatures, known only as "The Sons of the Bird," who seem to have huge amounts of unexplainable power. Many times in this book it is impossible to decipher reality from fantasy, untill the HUGE mind bending shocking, twist at the end leaving you with an amazing story, of almost unimaginable greatness. When you finish this book you will seriously be considering
        Spoiler:
        smashing every mirror in your house.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
        X