This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wormholes no use for time travel

I just spotted an interesting article on wormholes and time travel on the bbc news site....enjoy.

Click here

Very interseting article. Nothing that hasn't been done before in been written before but it was a good summary. At our point of understanding the universe it looks like the wormholes that are goverened by quantum mechanics don't seem possible due to the amount of inherent unpredictability and uncertainy involved. Not to mention that we certainly have no proof that exotic matter even exists in the universe and even mathematics isn't sure.

But since we don't completely understand quantum mechanics fully i don't think its right to pass judgement just yet... Maybe once we've "licked quantum mechanics" like the Tollan.
    Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

I agree it was a very interesting article however nothing has been proven yet and there are several aspects of science that they are working with that have not been proven either, such as exotic matter. They are trying to disprove one theory using something that is not know to exist in our known universe, only theorized. Untill more progress is made in Quantum Mechanics, nothing will be proven or disproven. I think it was cool that they mentioned Stargate!

Owen Macri

Comment

Yes, very cool article. As Freyrs said, it has all been said before and it just sums it up for us. I definitly think time travel is possible and the way to do it is through a Wormhole. For those who like this kind of stuff (like me) you might want to check out a book called "Stepping Through the Stargate". It's not all about this stuff but it has some great articles in it discussing time travel and wormholes.
        sigpic
        Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Thank you, if I ever see it I will be sure to check it out, lol. I don't really know where to buy Stargate books other than online.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
            I just spotted an interesting article on wormholes and time travel on the bbc news site....enjoy.

Click here
            Hmm, interesting.
            Personally, I have never thought that time travel was possible through a wormhole. To connect to another part of space with one makes sense to me, but connecting to another time is just too complicated.
            I've never really believed in time travel as a viable concept, anyway.
            sigpic

Comment

Well theres nothing to prove against time travel
              sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

True, it hasn't been proven to be impossible, but I never thought of time as being something physical. When someone talks about "looking at the stars and seeing the past," it isn't really the past because it just took a long time for the photons to reach Earth. Time travel would have many confusing consequences, too.
                Elando na coinya!

Comment

Technically when you look into the sky you are looking into the past. Actually if you look across the room you are looking into the past, however short a time ago you are looking at. You would be looking only miliseconds, if not nanoseconds into the past, if not less.

Owen Macri
                  Last edited by _Owen_; 01 June 2005, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah,we are technicly 'living in the past', but as Carter says, all time is relevant in space
                    sigpic

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

You are right, we are living in the past, the past of someone else... sorry if this is confusing.

Lol, sorry to nitpick, I think you mean time is relative... sorry to nitpcik.

Owen Macri

Comment

things can only be as fast as the infinate...
                        JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                        VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                        MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                        LANDRY
                        : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                        Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                        Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                        Mmm... Green...

Comment

Was that a joke?

Owen Macri

Comment

sure
                            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                            LANDRY
                            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Ok, just checking... lol

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X