This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force-fields and radiation

Do force-fields in general protect from all types of radiation?

Can the SGA's gate shield withstand radiation in the same manner as the Earth's Iris or does it protect against it partially, entirely or not at all?

In general, it depends on who built the force-field.
    The SGA's shield is built by ancients. We can assume it protects everything. The only thing it lets through is low-energy radio waves.
    "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by lethalfang
      In general, it depends on who built the force-field.
      The SGA's shield is built by ancients. We can assume it protects everything. The only thing it lets through is low-energy radio waves.
      It also lets light through, and puddle jumpers
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

have u noticed that the SGA gate doesnt have the same blueish glow as the SGC with the isis shield up.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

It really depends on how the force field was made and what it was designed for, seeing as the Atlantis shield was ment to defend against attack, we can assume that it was designed to protect against any and every form of attack, including a radiological one.

However the SGCs' Iris will likley not protect against radiation, seeing as it only stops matter from rematerializing, energy bypasses the event horizon, radiation is energy, is should bypass the iris as well.

Owen Macri

Comment

I'd have to agree with both Owen and lethalfang. But I guess more with Owen () I believe it depends on how far your knowledge of force fields go.

The iris in the SGC didn't protect them much against radiation (shown multiple times), mainly because they didn't have the tech or knowledge to create something that's durable enough against strong radiation. The force shield in Atlantis was built to protect against all matter and energy, because the Ancients strived so long and were such tech geniuses, they figured out how to create something that would rebound and/or protect from all kinds of energy and matter. If you have the knowledge and the materials, you should be able to create a close-to-invincible force field (unless, of course, somebody finds the right frequency to get through it, but we won't go into that again ).

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Comment

No problem, I hope we could help!

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                  No problem, I hope we could help!

Owen Macri
                  You did!! I was thinking about this because I had been writing a fic - a large chunk of it was based on the premise that the SGA gate might be susceptible to radiation coming through an open wormhole. LOL!! It serves me right for trying to write fanfic at 3am . Needless to say there has since been a major overhaul of the plot.

Comment

Lol, I am sorry to say, there is always a loop-hole, for example you could have had some sort of dampening field that weakend the protective properties of the force field, allowing a very small amount of radiation to come through. The dampening field could be emitted from the other side of the wormhole and expanded through as to encompass the shield, there for allowing an attack on Atlantis, through a way that didn't seem possible nor was expected.

Owen Macri

Comment

man id hate to have you as an enemy, u can invent a way to destroy anything, please go to atlantis and wipe out the wraith,by pissing of mackay on thier homeworld and making him explode with the force of a million ZPM's!
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

Are you saying that you would hate to have me as an enemy? Lol.

If you are not talking to me please ignore this post I will delete it.

Everyone here seems nice I don't see a reason to have anyone as an enemy, you guys are all nice! Lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                          man id hate to have you as an enemy, u can invent a way to destroy anything, please go to atlantis and wipe out the wraith,by pissing of mackay on thier homeworld and making him explode with the force of a million ZPM's!
                          I agree. Owen is pretty nice, but If we did get on his bad side...
                          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                          LANDRY
                          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                          Mmm... Green...

Comment

I don't have a bad side! Lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                              Lol, I am sorry to say, there is always a loop-hole, for example you could have had some sort of dampening field that weakend the protective properties of the force field, allowing a very small amount of radiation to come through. The dampening field could be emitted from the other side of the wormhole and expanded through as to encompass the shield, there for allowing an attack on Atlantis, through a way that didn't seem possible nor was expected.

Owen Macri
                              LOL!! Do you write fic? You have unleashed so many plot bunnies into my mind now!! What I'd written originally was a little 1500 word piece in a bigger piece but what you've outlined could be a story in its own right. Wonder if they'll ever make an episode like this *ponders*

Comment

Working...
                              X