PDA

View Full Version : Force-fields and radiation

starfish
May 22nd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Do force-fields in general protect from all types of radiation?

Can the SGA's gate shield withstand radiation in the same manner as the Earth's Iris or does it protect against it partially, entirely or not at all?

lethalfang
May 22nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
In general, it depends on who built the force-field.
The SGA's shield is built by ancients. We can assume it protects everything. The only thing it lets through is low-energy radio waves.

Jarnin
May 22nd, 2005, 08:23 PM
In general, it depends on who built the force-field.
The SGA's shield is built by ancients. We can assume it protects everything. The only thing it lets through is low-energy radio waves.
It also lets light through, and puddle jumpers ;)

immhotep
May 23rd, 2005, 03:42 AM
have u noticed that the SGA gate doesnt have the same blueish glow as the SGC with the isis shield up.

_Owen_
May 23rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
It really depends on how the force field was made and what it was designed for, seeing as the Atlantis shield was ment to defend against attack, we can assume that it was designed to protect against any and every form of attack, including a radiological one.

However the SGCs' Iris will likley not protect against radiation, seeing as it only stops matter from rematerializing, energy bypasses the event horizon, radiation is energy, is should bypass the iris as well.

Owen Macri

Supreme Thor
May 23rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
I'd have to agree with both Owen and lethalfang. But I guess more with Owen (:D) I believe it depends on how far your knowledge of force fields go.

The iris in the SGC didn't protect them much against radiation (shown multiple times), mainly because they didn't have the tech or knowledge to create something that's durable enough against strong radiation. The force shield in Atlantis was built to protect against all matter and energy, because the Ancients strived so long and were such tech geniuses, they figured out how to create something that would rebound and/or protect from all kinds of energy and matter. If you have the knowledge and the materials, you should be able to create a close-to-invincible force field (unless, of course, somebody finds the right frequency to get through it, but we won't go into that again :)).

starfish
May 23rd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the answers everyone. :D

_Owen_
May 23rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
No problem, I hope we could help!

Owen Macri

starfish
May 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
No problem, I hope we could help!

Owen Macri
You did!! I was thinking about this because I had been writing a fic - a large chunk of it was based on the premise that the SGA gate might be susceptible to radiation coming through an open wormhole. LOL!! It serves me right for trying to write fanfic at 3am :P. Needless to say there has since been a major overhaul of the plot. :)

_Owen_
May 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
Lol, I am sorry to say, there is always a loop-hole, for example you could have had some sort of dampening field that weakend the protective properties of the force field, allowing a very small amount of radiation to come through. The dampening field could be emitted from the other side of the wormhole and expanded through as to encompass the shield, there for allowing an attack on Atlantis, through a way that didn't seem possible nor was expected.

Owen Macri

immhotep
May 25th, 2005, 09:39 AM
man id hate to have you as an enemy, u can invent a way to destroy anything, please go to atlantis and wipe out the wraith,by pissing of mackay on thier homeworld and making him explode with the force of a million ZPM's!

_Owen_
May 25th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Are you saying that you would hate to have me as an enemy? Lol.

If you are not talking to me please ignore this post I will delete it.

Everyone here seems nice I don't see a reason to have anyone as an enemy, you guys are all nice! Lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
May 25th, 2005, 02:05 PM
man id hate to have you as an enemy, u can invent a way to destroy anything, please go to atlantis and wipe out the wraith,by pissing of mackay on thier homeworld and making him explode with the force of a million ZPM's!

I agree. Owen is pretty nice, but If we did get on his bad side...;):p:D

_Owen_
May 25th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I don't have a bad side! Lol.

Owen Macri

starfish
May 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Lol, I am sorry to say, there is always a loop-hole, for example you could have had some sort of dampening field that weakend the protective properties of the force field, allowing a very small amount of radiation to come through. The dampening field could be emitted from the other side of the wormhole and expanded through as to encompass the shield, there for allowing an attack on Atlantis, through a way that didn't seem possible nor was expected.

Owen Macri

LOL!! Do you write fic? You have unleashed so many plot bunnies into my mind now!! What I'd written originally was a little 1500 word piece in a bigger piece but what you've outlined could be a story in its own right. Wonder if they'll ever make an episode like this *ponders*

_Owen_
May 25th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Actually no, I don't write fan fic, I guess I could try... I have read a lot of fan fic, and it is really long, it would take me forever to write a story like that, but I could try, so don't steal my ideas yet, feel free to add that into your story if you want to though!

I don't think they would make it an episode, Martin Gero commented on this in his thread, to get a story in you have to have an agent and they also have to be looking, too bad we can't just mail them in.

And than you for the compliment!

Owen Macri

starfish
May 26th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Actually no, I don't write fan fic, I guess I could try... I have read a lot of fan fic, and it is really long, it would take me forever to write a story like that, but I could try, so don't steal my ideas yet, feel free to add that into your story if you want to though!

I don't think they would make it an episode, Martin Gero commented on this in his thread, to get a story in you have to have an agent and they also have to be looking, too bad we can't just mail them in.

And than you for the compliment!

Owen Macri
I wasn't going to steal it...honest :p It does seem like it would involve a LOT of research to get the technical/plot things right. I've managed to rework that part of my story entirely. If you do ever decide to write it let me know, I'd be very interested to read it. :)

I was thinking along the lines of whether they'd already come up with an idea along similar lines...you can never have too much 'Atlantis in jepoardy from things other than the Wraith' :P. It is a pity they don't take unsolicited story pitches but I can understand why.

_Owen_
May 26th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I was just joking about the stealing. lol. If you want to you can use it I spent hours last night laying in bed thinking about it, because you mentioned that it would make a good story, I have already made it a million times more complicated than it needs to be. In fact I am thinking of writing a story, however it doesn't use radiation and it isn't the Wraith. I will give you a little spoiler, nothing big, it seems as though the Atlantis team gets themselves into a situation, that they might not be able to get themselves out of. I will work on it.

Owen Macri

evan
May 26th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Does the Atlantis crew have GDOs? Did the Atlantis gate already have a GDO-like system in place?

starfish
May 27th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Does the Atlantis crew have GDOs? Did the Atlantis gate already have a GDO-like system in place?
They seem to have a system of IDCs although why they still call them IDCs
(Iris deactivation codes) puzzles me.

_Owen_
May 27th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Yes, the Atlantis offworld teams ue GDOs, this was the "tried and true" method suggested in "Rising Part 2," they have used it simply because another method was not available.

The Stargate is not directly involved, it simply relays the radio signal from the GDOs, however they do have a radio receiver conected to the computer which in turn deciphers the GDO signals. GDOs even have there own special laptop.

Owen Macri

SeaBee
June 1st, 2005, 05:16 AM
It also lets light through, and puddle jumpers ;)
Yes to light, but no to PJs. The field is very similar to the iris. If a PJ tried to come through when the shield was up it would be destroyed.

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
I agree, I read that too, did I forget to post? lol. Yes, what would happen if a Wraith hijacked a Puddle Jumper, dialed up Atlantis flew in with shields and a cloak and started shooting up the place, what defense would we have?

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 08:20 PM
It depends. Does a Wraith know how to use the breaks to stop from smashing against the wall? :P

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 08:28 PM
I doubt it, they don't have the gene, lol, that was stupid of me, why didn't I realise that before... Well, what if another enemy with the gene hijacked a jumper.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Well, they'd need a GDO...

In all of the episodes that I remember, they've had to open the shield to let jumpers through.

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 08:37 PM
Yes, they did need to lower the shield, I was just arguing against someone elses' point that only light and Puddle Jumpers can go through. You are right they would need a GDO, and the code, and the gene, and some smaller fingers to push the buttons, all of which they don't have, lol.

Own Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Or they could just latch onto the back of a jumper :D

_Owen_
June 1st, 2005, 08:57 PM
I somehow don't think that would work with the results they expected. lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 1st, 2005, 09:04 PM
Hey, getting half of a ship through would be better than no ship. And who says the shield can close around matter?

_Owen_
June 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
I don't know, what would you do with half a ship?

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
You could always strap the Naquadah bomb to the front... :P

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
I guess... lol.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
We need to start a thread: One Millon and One Ways to Destroy Atlantis :P

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
lol, that would be a long thread.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 01:55 PM
We could probably do it, though(knowing Gateworld) :D

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Oh, definetly.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Wow, we got off topic. So what does the shield let through? We know radio waves and light.

starfish
June 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Wow, we got off topic. So what does the shield let through? We know radio waves and light.
Very interesting off-topic posts though :D (I was reading - just not replying)

I think that was the final conclusion - that the SGA shield only lets through light and radio waves.

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
What about other types of waves? Did the Ancients use Radio?

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 02:25 PM
It is possible that the Atlantis is intuitive. The internal sensors could detect what would be a danger and not let it through, if radio waves appeard as a danger they would be blocked as well. Of course matter is never let through.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
That may be the case. In Hot Zone, the city locked up and blocked people that might have been a threat.

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
It seems very likley.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Basically the only thing that Atlantis cant do is self destruct properly. Besides that, it's great!

_Owen_
June 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Yes, that is one strange thing, if the Ancients wanted to self destruct the city so that the enemy can not aquire technology and knowledge, they should have added a bigger destruct mechanism, as well as some sort of integrated virus to wipe the redundant database.

However it seemed as though the self destruct was put in place by the expidition team. The way Grodin put it was by saying that the naquadah generators would overload, but it wouldn't be enough to destroy Atlantis' technology, and database. It seems very possible that the Ancients either didn't have a self destruct mecdhanism, or we haven't discovered it and or how to use it yet, which seems more likley.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 4th, 2005, 03:47 PM
There's tons of tech and knowledge that we havn't discovered yet in Atlantis, so who knows what's out there?

_Owen_
June 4th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Yes, like the long range sensors, all of Atlantis' command staff must have walked by the device that controls them 50 times since they got there, and they didn't find out what they were for months.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Not to mention everything in the infirmary they have no idea about!

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Ya, they have tons of equipment in there that they haven't even touched yet, maybe someone should check it out... just a suggestion.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 11:13 AM
There are only so many people with the Gene, and ya know, the Wraith kinda are out to get them now.

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Ya, but they had nothing to do while the Wraith were coming, they should have made themselves useful. Especial Beckett, he is the doctor he is around those machines pretty much all day, and what could he possibly break in there.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Still, if he ended up breaking the used syringe container, I'm sure there'd be only a minimum amount of deaths.

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM
True, but he could move all of the stuff like that into the hall. lol.

Owen Macri

Rioko Avalon
June 8th, 2005, 09:20 PM
If a body was sent through the Atlantis gate world you see it impact with the shield?

_Owen_
June 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM
No, the shield is so close to the event horizon that it does not let any matter rematerialize so you shouldn't have that pulsing or the banging noise on the SGC iris. However if it just lets a few molecules rematerialize then you would hear a banging, but you would see anything significant.

Owen Macri

starfish
June 9th, 2005, 03:58 PM
In The Eye the Genii soldiers impacting the shield resulted in flashes of brightness at the point where the matter impacted the sheild.

_Owen_
June 9th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Yes, this is an oversight in the production. The Ancients, in thier infinite wisdom, could easily have created an energy shield that is close enough to the event horizon that no matter, no matter how infinitly small it is can rematerialize in the gap, in fact there is no need to even have a gap.

The reason that they would not simply stick it in front of the gate and allow some matter to apear is because there are still some particles that could rematerialize. The episode where Apophis dies and Sokar attacks them with a particle excelerator, and the subatomic particles manage to rematerialize in the gap between the iris and event horizon.

The Ancients would foresee an event like this and not allow it.

Owen Macri