This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misc tech questions

1. What is the logic behind the iris on the stargate? Why doesn't the burst when the gate opens make a hole through the gate (considering it destroys anything else)?

2. I've just seen the S2 ep with Jack visiting the alien planet to get rid of all the extra knowledge... and the team with Sam on another planet supposedly couldn't get back, because they couldn't dial home... but the gate on Earth could make contact with them, and send things through to them... I must be missing something. Doesn't transit go both ways, as long as the gate is open? I.e., couldn't you go through the gate, and quickly turn back on the other side, and go back through? If not, why not? I mean, the gates connect two points in space, and once the corridor is open, it shouldn't matter which way someone comes in or out.

Actually, I now remember a bit earlier episode with that Nox woman coming through the gate, then asking those refugees to come along, and then they all want right back through the gate. With it still being open. So... ???

TIA for any answers...

The reason the iris isn't disintigrated is because the energy discharge that you are refering to, the vortex, is materialized from and by the event horizon, the iris is so close to the event horizon that no matter has room to rematerialize.

No the gate does not transmit matter two way, a wormhole by itself does, but the stargate doesn't allow this. The de materializes matter at the event horizon, and then rematerializes it at the second event horizon (it is converted into energy) energy does not need to be dematerialized, so it can travel both ways, ex. a radio signal. In the episode with the Tollan, the Nox woman, I can't remember her name, comes through the gate, and then it shuts down. She then uses, some sort of technology or natural mind power, to reactivate the gate from the SGCs' side.

I hope I could help

Owen Macri

Comment

Hm, I'm not sure I understand what exactly the vortex is supposed to be, and why does it appear. Can you explain?

As for the second point, ah, you're right... that makes sense now, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
        The reason the iris isn't disintigrated is because the energy discharge that you are refering to, the vortex, is materialized from and by the event horizon, the iris is so close to the event horizon that no matter has room to rematerialize.
        Owen Macri
        But i thought that the side flush is the event horizon (just unstable)

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman
          But i thought that the side flush is the event horizon (just unstable)
          I have always thought that it was a matter/energy wake, rather than the horizon itself, propogated beyond the normal confines of the gate by the creation of the wormhole.
          sigpic

Comment

hey that makes sense

Comment

In my oppinion, the kawoosh effect is just how an event horizon is formed. Its also a nice security precaution, because if it didn't form and someone stepped through, they'd probably be fused with anything that was near the gate.
              JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
              VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
              MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
              LANDRY
              : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
              Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
              Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

I still don't know exactlly why the side flush doesn't put a big hole in the iris

Comment

It doesn't break the iris, for the iris is too close to the center of the 'gate for anything to form, even the kawoosh.
                  http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/t...y/i/iris.shtml
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  LANDRY
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

but the Kawoosh as u call it is the event horizon not matter

Comment

Originally posted by The Gateworld Omnipedia
                      When the seventh chevron locks, an unstable energy vortex emerges from the gate, incinerating everything in its wake
                      It still emerges from the gate, and the iris, only a few micrometers away, prevents it from forming. It prevents anything from forming.
                      LANDRY
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

This still doesn't make sense. The Kawoosh is pure energy and even 3 micrometres is enough space for energy to fill.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately, none of the explanations here make sense (and there's nothing in the omnipedia touching upon this). The burst when the stargate is opened is, as far as I can tell, integral to establishing the event horizon. I also don't know why the burst is rectracted, "filling out" into the event horizon. Actually, as I said, I don't even know why the burst occurs in the first place, and how is it controlled that it always retracts.

The iris barring anything from coming through doesn't really make sense either. As long as something is able of making contact with the iris, something big of powerful enough should be able to make a hole through it. What exactly happens when you hear a "thud" of someone/something splashing against the iris? Where does the matter that hits the iris go? Considering the concept of gate tunnels only going one way, it can't go back. And it doesn't go through the iris either. So where DOES it go?

More and more I think about it, the more it seems to me that there really is no sense behind all this. Stargate as a series is full of things which make no sense whatsoever, but the iris keeps coming up and bothers me the most. You'd also think that every bloody planet with any intelligence on it would have some sort of protection on the gate, but no, pretty much all of them have the gates wide open for anything or anyone to come through. They're not even guarded. It's crap like that really breaks the immersion for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius77
                            Yes, unfortunately, none of the explanations here make sense (and there's nothing in the omnipedia touching upon this). The burst when the stargate is opened is, as far as I can tell, integral to establishing the event horizon. I also don't know why the burst is rectracted, "filling out" into the event horizon. Actually, as I said, I don't even know why the burst occurs in the first place, and how is it controlled that it always retracts.
                            In "1969", they go forward in time. the person they run into uses a device to open the gate, and there is no unstable vortex (the offical term for "kawoosh" )

i dont know why it happens, but i know it was a side effect or something. sorta like exhaust fumes from an engine

Help!
                            My emojournal

Comment

In "1969", they go forward in time. the person they run into uses a device to open the gate, and there is no unstable vortex (the offical term for "kawoosh" )
                              So do the Asgard and the Nox. Obviously the Kawoosh isn't technically required for the wormhole to form and is probally some sort of safeguard the ancients added in to prevent to keep matter from going through the at the wrong time.
                              Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X