X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialing from another World

Please Answer if you can

Just say you were to take the Earth stargate (or any other gate) to another planet lets say Tollan what address would you have to dial, also what about stargates on ships do there address' keep changing?
    The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
    Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Thats where the DHD comes into play, not only does it work as a dialing device, but it adjusts to planetary shift's, any realigning of the stars and any other annomilies that might alter a worm hole destination. I believe thats why any SG's on a ship that moves around has to have a DHT and not just a computer like the SGC uses.
    Last edited by the Fifth Race; 21 May 2005, 07:08 AM.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Stargates and DHD's are interchangable. When you move them to a different system they adopt that systems address in the gate network. So if you took a stargate to the New Tollan home world then dialing earth would still be a matter of dialing earths 6 symbols and a point of origin. An important thing to note is that the Point of Origin is generic, the symbol of the PoO is interchangable and makes no difference as the DHD automatically accepts any PoO symbol as the PoO for the system it is in.

Comment

Awww, everyone got here before me, I will answer anyways!

If a gate is moved to another location the adress that you have to dial will change, instead of symbols 1,3,34,7,23,16, you might have to dial, symbols, 2,4,5,6,7,8. however on the gate that you have moved, you may still dial the same symbols for other gates.
        The point of origin symbol is uniquie to every gate, no one symbol is the same, so the point of orign symbol won't change if you move the gate, however, the location that the symbol represents will be changed.

A stargates coordinates are only updated when it enters the specified area around a planet, so the symbols that you dial will remain the same until you enter the specified area, it is most likley that they will not change during transit, the only way this could happen is if you were traveling out of hyperspace, and passed very close to a planet. There is also the possibility that the location of the gate will not be updated until it is activated, by a dial out, in this case the gate will have the same symbols but until it is activated, any gate trying to dial them will not activate, because the gate isn't there anymore, when the gate is activated it will cause an update, that will change the symbols applicable to the gate.

Owen Macri

Comment

No i think you need the matching dhd to the right gate otherwise the points of orgion would be deffrent. Though my only proff for this would be that for somereason we never tried to take a dhd from another world and hook it to or gate. Though both of or dhds or now dead. Note that both gates found on earthj have the same symbol of point of orgin.

Then agian i am just here to give a second point of view.
          Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Comment

Actually the point of origin symbol would just be diffrent, both from the previous one, and from the one on the stargate.

Actually the gates on Earth had diffrent points of origin, The eygiptian gate has the trademark, "A" symbol and the point of origin on the Beta gate is clearly shown in the season one episode "Solitudes."

Owen Macri

Comment

Yes the gates are supposed to have different PoO but ever notice in the show they don't after they have to start using the beta gate? The Alpha gate was lost but hey, whenever you see the gate dialing after that you see the Pyramid chevron lock to open a wormhole, not the other one.

Comment

That was only for a while that they used the beta gate, if the point of origin was the "A" symbol than it was just a mistake. The Point of origin symbol would stay the same, but the point that the symbol represents would change.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Tibit
                  Yes the gates are supposed to have different PoO but ever notice in the show they don't after they have to start using the beta gate? The Alpha gate was lost but hey, whenever you see the gate dialing after that you see the Pyramid chevron lock to open a wormhole, not the other one.
                  I think that Owen can back me for this. As far as I remember, the beta gate was found, and put into storage. Then, in Small Victories, the alpha 'gate was beamed out, and lost to the ocean. The Russians later recovered it. The SGC started using the Beta gate, which was eventually destroyed by Anubis. The SGC, after season 4ish has the alpha gate on loan from Russia. So the Antartic gate was the one that was destroyed. Right? I'll look for that one post by Owen that had the ENTIRE history of the 'gate.
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                  MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                  LANDRY
                  : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                  Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                  Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

Yes, that is pretty much it, except it was the season six premier that they got the alpha gate back, I will repost my "story" here, for you.

Owen Macri

Comment

"The Brief History of Earth Stargates."
                      (ooh, sounds exciting)

Millions and millions of years ago, maybe billions, I lost track after a thousand, The Ancient devised a network of devices that would be placed around the Milky Way galaxy, these devices would allow quick transportation between planets, they would be called... something in ancient, however translated to English they are called... Stargates.

Earth was one of the first planets to recieve a gate it was place in what is now known as Antarctica, along with an ancient outpost, like Sheppard, ancients like Antarctica, hey does anyone see a conection.

For millions of years this gate was used both by the ancients before they ascended to higher beings and by the Goa'uld and Humans, later. However, for reasons I cannot determine the Stargate on Earth was lost to Ra, it was burried under, or should I say, in, a glacier in Antarctica, not to be seen by anyone important for a long, LONG, time.

Ra, liking Earth very much as his summer getaway and main source of slaves, needed some way of getting to Earth, something faster than his old, crappy, ship. So one day he thought, "let's steal a Stargate!" And who would've thunk, he did. He took a Stargate from a planet currently unknown to the SGC, and placed it very carefully, on Earth. Now coming to his senses and realising that his slaves would stop dying on the trip from the warm parts of the world to antarctica, he put the Stargate right in the Metropolis of his slaves, Walmart, I mean Egypt.

From then on for hundreds, if not thousands of years Ra used this Stargate to move his slaves from planet to planet, when he had nothing else to do. It was like ping-pong, he opens one gate with a line up of slaves in front of it, and one by one, SMACKS them through with a stick, on the other side there was a guard waiting would would quickly smack them back into the gate. Ra, being as dumb as he is, did not realise that when this happend the people actually ceased to exist. So in Egypt when they found out Ra just killed a handful of slaves for NO reason, they thought about it for a while, and then when he was eating his turkey sandwich, BOOM, they revolted, killing his guards on Earth and burring the gate. Even though this planet was so important to him, he did not return to reclaim it, as I said, being as dumb as he is.

PART TWO: MODERN SOCIETY

On an archealogical dig in Giza Egypt, archeaologist Dr. Langoford discovered an artifact circular in nature covered by a stone, the outer ring is enscribed with Hieroglyphics, and the inner cartouche contains symbols of the likes no one has seen before. This is not half as interesting as what is underneath, HEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES STARGATE!!!

That is right the second Stargate was found, the one that Ra brought to replace the lost Antarctic gate.

For years no one had the slightest clue what it was or what it did, then in 1945 they actually turned it on, a scientist, named Ernest Littlefield who was working for the program went through in what was a diving suit, when he was through the Stargate shut off, he would not be seen for many, many years. (ignoring the fact that when Ernest went through the gate he had a hose attached that was giving him oxygen, then the stargate deactivated cutting it off which is impossible becuase the gate transmits matter in discrete units, the gate would have stayed active for the entire thirty-eight minutes).

The good doctor, Ernest Littlefield was the fiance of a young woman, who goes by the name of Cathrine Langford, thats right, the daughter of the archaeologist who discocered the gate.

For a while the gate was put away, but then a few years later the program was reopened and Cathrine was now in charge. No one currently alive at that time new of the activation in 1945, and no one would for a couple of years. Around 1994 Dr. Cathrine Langford searched out a young hopeful archaeologist, with crazy ideas that had pretty much been laughed out of the acedemic society, he went by the name of Dr. Daniel Jackson.

He was recruited by Catherine to try to translate the hieroglyphics on the coverstone, he easily translated them in no time, and that was that. Then they actually new what to call the device, Stargate, not "Door way to Heaven." Dr. Jackson later figured out that the symbols on the inner cartouche were actually points in space, and the device, that Dr. Jackson didn't know of, transported matter and energy across vast areas of space using an artificial wormhole. Dr. Jackson along with a military Colonel named Jack O'Neill who had recently retired because his son Charlie, or Tyler, shot himself with Jacks' gun, how sad. Oh, and there was a whole other smattering of military that went along with them. Sorry, in my haste I have strayed off topic and forgot to tell you were they are going, well it was a planet... either on the other side of the unvierse, in the Kalium Galaxy, or the closest planet to Earth, Abydos.

To make a long story short, they killed Ra, an alien pretending to be a god to the people of Abydos.

PART THREE: THE SGC

A couple years later after returning from Abydos, the facility is closed and military personell are being shipped out. Three men and an woman sit in a large room on Sub level 28, playing cards... how responsible. Suddenly the large object underneath the big white sheet starts to move, then it comes flying off for no apparent reason, Guess who's back, back again, Stargate's back, tell a friend, na na na, na na na, na na na, na na na. *Clears throat*... Sorry about that... anyways, the Stagate opens ans I believe, eight people come through, and there he is again, RA!

O'Neill is quickly recalled and the facility is now under the command of a bald man in a white shirt, no, not Homer Simpson, General George Hammond... of Texas. This is a long story so I will shorten it. They contact the supposedly DEAD Dr. Jackson, who supposedly DIED on thier mission to Abydos, using, that's right, the box of all boxes, filled with the tissue of all tissues, a Kleenex box. Dr. Jackson replies, they go to Abydos and find out that it wasn't Ra that came through the gate it was another one of these damned aliens, oh, what is his name, (I seriously can't remember his name!)... APOPHIS, got it!

This is not the last they have seen of him, he came to Abydos, through the Starate and kidnapped Dr. Jacksons' new wife, Aumonet, I MEAN, Sha're (is that how you spell that), and O'Neills' friend and Daniels' brother-in-law, Skaraa.

The team including its' newest member, the brainy, the astrophysicist pilot, the Captain, Samantha Carter, also Air Force .
                      (It might have been good to mention that O'Neill and Hammond were air force too, oh great, now that last sentence isn't going to make sense, sorry, just thinking out loud)

Anyways the facility is dawned, the SGC or Stargate Command, and is oppend as a full time facility, with thier directive to explore other worlds and gain technology.

PART FOUR: THE LATER YEARS

As of the season one episode "Solitudes," The SGC is now in possesion of two Stargates. Colonel O'Neill and Captain Carter found this gate by "accident" after escaping from a planet where the team took heavy fire. The gate was "overloaded" this caused the wormhole to "jump" to another gate, the gate hidden under the surface of Antarctica.

Near the end of season three and the begining of season four, the Egyptian gate was lost in the Pacific Ocean, I believe it was, when Thors' ship crashed after being attacked by replicators. It was necesary for the team to beam the gate up to the ship so that they could escape. The Antarctic gate was taken out of storage and used full-time, in the SGC. It appeared that the trademark, "A" symbol was gone.

For a while they were forced to use the Beta gate, or the Antarctic gate as thier Alpha gate, it was not until later in season four that the "A" returned.

In the season four episode "Watergate" the SGC discovered that the Russians had been secretly operating a Stargate program of thier own out of Russia, the Russians were using the Egypt gate that they found in the ocean. The gate managed to survive being plunged into the ocean at incredible speeds, but it survived.

The SGC was forced to continue using the Antarctic gate until early season six. In season premier episodes of season six "Redemption" Anubis is attacking Earth using an ancient weapon that he has discovered, it uses one gate to destroy another. Obviously they manage escape this seemingly unescapable situation, unfortuanatley, the Antarctic Stargate is lost, forever. The United States is forced to "rent" the "A" gate from Russia, and continue to use the Egypt gate right up until now.

This has been the brief history of Stargates on Earth, it is up to you to write the future...

Owen Macri

Comment

Yup, that's Owen's huge post It pretty much explains everything.
                        JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                        LANDRY
                        Mmm... Green...

Comment

lol, I a thread about the stargates, so I thought, you know, why not "A Brief History of the Stargates on Earth," could be interesting, I also added in humor to lighten it up a little.

Owen Macri

Comment

Now for a brief history of Stargates on Chu'lak(as far as we know).

Gate was placed on Chu'lak by the Ancients. Descovered by Goa'uld. Used by SG-1.

LANDRY
                            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Lol, that works!

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X