This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizontal Stargate

Hey I'm new here and still watching the episodes. I'm at season 2 now, just finished The Fifth Race and it's the best ep I've seen so far.

I'm just wondering though, what will happen if you cross a vertical 'gate into a horizontal one? If you jump through the vert 'gate you'd probably have enough momentum to fall somewhere, but what if you just walked through?

Would you just fall back into the event horizon in that case?

yes you would. Happens in 100 days

Comment

I believe a horizontal gate was also used in the last scenes of The First Commandment, season 1. However, it appeared to be a "bad" thing, in that episode, as opposed to 100 Days. I'm not certain why. I'm certain someone with more technical knowledge about the Gate will answer the question.
      On fighting:
      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

If you jumped intowards the the ring then ya might be able to grab the ring when ya come out on the other side and climb out!
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Sorry, just remembered the scene......the iris on the SGC side was closed and the team had had their GDO's taken away, so if they had been pushed into the open, horizontal Stargate, they would would have gone splat when they reached their destination. (The iris would have been closed.)
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

if you leave at the speed you come out, shouldent it have a trampolene effect? just try and bounce off

Help!
            My emojournal

Comment

Lida, the episode you mentioned is actually going through a horizontal gate, not emerging from it.

Anubis Guard, that would work is you knew it was horizontal on the other side. If you didn't...

Hudson, haha you may be right although you might just as easily fall back in again.

Comment

Actually, it all depends on which direction you have the horizontal Stargate lying.

In "A Hundred Days" (season 3), you have the issue of falling back into the event horizon. But in "Death Knell" (season 7), you don’t.
                Spoiler:
                There is a scene where, then they exited the gate, they landed in a hole that the kawoosh created. They had to wait for the gate to disengage and then climb out.
                No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Corvidae

Anubis Guard, that would work is you knew it was horizontal on the other side. If you didn't...
                  Well that;'d be wat the MALP is for? It'd be interesting to see that happen!
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

i am pretty sure the ancients would not place a gate where one could be hurt. there is prolly a way around that
                    -"i thought we agreed you weren't allowed to name things anymore"-Major Shepperd

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient Scientist
                      i am pretty sure the ancients would not place a gate where one could be hurt. there is prolly a way around that
                      Well, I think that all the stargates that have not been in the vertical position, were not put in that position by the ancients. I'm pretty sure that it was a natural disaster, attack or some other means of human/alien involvment.
                      No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

There are two possibilities that could happen.

1. The side of the gate from which you will emerge is facing in the direction of the gravity source, in which case you will simply fall to the ground.

2. The side of the gate from which you will emerge is facing away from the gravity source, in this case you will exit the event horizon at the speed which you entered the event horizon on the sending gate, then gravity will make its move and you will fall back down into the stargates' event horizon, you would then cease to exist, except as raw energy.

If you managed to travel into the gate at a very fast speed you could potentialy fly into the air, then if there was a strong wind it could blow you past the edge of the stargate allowing you to simply fall to the ground.

Owen Macri

Comment

Carter 'fell' through a gate in 2001. She just came through the earth gate very quickly, did a roll, and shouted "close the iris!"

In A Hundred Days, the malp goes through the ramp, is transported, rematerializes through the vertical 'gate, falls back, and is destroyed.
                          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                          LANDRY
                          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                          Mmm... Green...

Comment

In "2001" Carter knew that she would come out of the gate facing the same way that she went in, so she purposly fell in the right way.

Owen Macri

Comment

So tearing down a vertical stargate to the ground effectively makes it a hundred times harder if not impossible to access with ground troops.

Comment

Working...
                              X