PDA

View Full Version : Best Loopy Daniel Episode?

Madeleine
May 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM
These are all the eps where Dr Jackson's lights are on but the chap at home isn't Daniel, where Daniel is Daniel but isn't quite himself, or where he's sloshed, weird, or a bit, um, mental. :D

Vote for your favourite. The winner(s) will join Reckoning pt II, The First Ones, Torment of Tantalus and Meridian, along with the winners of the polls yet to come, in a grand finale.

I can fix polls, by the way. Used tenners in a brown paper bag please ;)

Lida
May 17th, 2005, 10:37 AM
These are all the eps where Dr Jackson's lights are on but the chap at home isn't Daniel, where Daniel is Daniel but isn't quite himself, or where he's sloshed, weird, or a bit, um, mental. :D

Vote for your favourite. The winner(s) will join Reckoning pt II, The First Ones, Torment of Tantalus and Meridian, along with the winners of the polls yet to come, in a grand finale.

Great idea for a poll! Thanx! :)

Hywel
May 17th, 2005, 10:39 AM
It's got to be Legacy for me. I loved seing Daniel get locked up in a nut-house. In a good way, of course.

Frostfox
May 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
My vote for Legacy too, there's just something about loony Daniel in this...

Cute When Insane
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/frostfox/legacyaids.jpg

Poor boy does go off the deep end with astonishing regularity, doesn't he?

.Ra.
May 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Absolute Power. It's one of the best episodes ever.

DJFavorite
May 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Boy this is a tough one..... I've at least narrowed it down to 4 for me: Absolute Power, Need, Legacy, and Lifeboat. I have to admit Lifeboat is one of the four only because Michael won a Saturn (is that the correct award?) for his performance. I'll be back to tell you what I end up deciding on..... :S

Frostfox
May 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Boy this is a tough one..... I've at least narrowed it down to 4 for me: Absolute Power, Need, Legacy, and Lifeboat. I have to admit Lifeboat is one of the four only because Michael won a Saturn (is that the correct award?) for his performance. I'll be back to tell you what I end up deciding on..... :S

Those were the ones on my short list and it was a real toss of the coin between Legacy and Lifeboat, MS was astonishingly good in both.
One thing I've always noticed, right from Need, and I know I've mentioned it before but I think it bears repeating, is how willing MS is to look ugly. Considering how pretty he is, and I'm sure he knows how attractive he is, he is still willing to look hot and sweaty and unattractive if the script calls for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/frostfox/88.jpg

Hard to believe it's the same chap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/frostfox/135.jpg

CKO
May 17th, 2005, 11:42 AM
evil daniel in AP is good as well... but damn so many good eppys where he's not quite himself :)

Seshat
May 17th, 2005, 11:54 AM

It's sooooo difficult to not vote for Insane-with-Power-Evil-Daniel, I mean, he's so EVIL, isn't he? What's not to like? ;)

But I voted for Legacy because mental is as mental does and actually being admitted to a mental ward counts for double in my book. :D Especially when all of your friends are so easily convinced you're bonkers just because you've started hearing voices and seeing things that aren't visible to ordinary folks...now who hasn't been there? :rolleyes:

BTW, I have a couple of extra "Get Out of Death Free Cards" if bribery is still on the table. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/Seshat_6/ba93db41.jpg

Ronja
May 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Lifeboat! This one I didn't even have to think about! It's one of my all time fave episodes. Michael does such an amazing job in it. A prefect example of what an fantastic actor he is! :D I'm just amazed every time I see it. Althou Legacy is a definite 2'd. Michael is such a great actor *dreamy sigh*

Cookies!
http://img262.echo.cx/img262/5056/lifeboat65xo.jpg

blingaway
May 17th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I had to go with Absolute Power. Like Ses says, how can ya not like evil Daniel? I think it was possibly not as powerful an acting performance as Legacy or Lifeboat, but as far as messing with Daniel's mind as a way to further the story, it's the best. How better to show that the Goa'uld influence is so evil it would corrupt one of, arguably, the most ethical people around?

Cold-hearted Evil might not be the acting stretch that Gibbering Schitzophrenia is, but it was still a fine performance in every respect. :)

Dani347
May 17th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I had to go with Legacy, based on my own criteria. It was the only one where I could really say Daniel went loopy. Body switching and hosting bodies (Lifeboat) while good don't count for me. Being evil, either, especially since it was all a dream/vision. Daniel didn't go totally nutso in Need until the end. Wild eyed and uncaring, but not nutso. But, Legacy, Daniel was totally loopy.

Plus, he cried, and that's always a plus :D

L-JADE
May 17th, 2005, 04:56 PM
ABSOLUTE POWER, absolutely !!

It's what Daniel concience really is (the evil part) which supressed by his goodness/forgiveness most of the time, but really, howmany times Jack shut him up with 'Daniel !!' or Sam put her technobabble importance above his moral issue or Teal'c 'look down' at him with his brow (and force in LEgacy).
This is where he has the blast of revenge and he does it with STYLE to each of them where it hurts the most. And MS did it convincingly. :cool:

Kliggins
May 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Pounds or dollars? I know chocolate is out; is there anything else that can be used for bri....uh persuasion? :D

DJFavorite
May 17th, 2005, 05:29 PM
ok, I finally made my decision. I went with Legacy. I remember the first time I saw the episode, I really felt for Daniel. I didn't have that feeling with Need or Absolute Power. And because in Lifeboat, it wasn't really Daniel, just his body with someone else in it (like in Holiday), I couldn't really say that it was Daniel that was loopy.

Madeleine
May 17th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Pounds or dollars? I know chocolate is out; is there anything else that can be used for bri....uh persuasion? :D

Dollars is fine, but remember there's an exchange rate, so I'll be expecting twenties :p :) :D

Osiris-RA
May 17th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Had to be for me absolutly Absolute Power. Legacy was great but really, Power hungry continent nuking Daniel beats crazy, needs an extra fry for his happy meal Daniel

Tucker Case
May 18th, 2005, 06:35 AM
It came down to 'Absolute Power' and 'Lifeboat' for me.

'Legacy' was the front-runner to begin with, but I think that episode falls apart in the last act and I really need the whole episode, and not just the Daniel parts, to be strong in order to give it my vote.

Ultimately, I went with 'Lifeboat.' Both it and 'AP' gave me virtually unrecognisable souls in Daniel's body - ones I could even loathe a little - and drew stellar performances from MS. But what 'Lifeboat' gave me were the things I found lacking in 'Legacy' (the episode I kinda, sorta wanted to vote for): A cohesive story that sticks to its guns through all four acts and a circle of friends that both sticks close to Daniel (see Jack not leaving the room, see Janet getting all up in Martice's face) and pulls out all the stops (including all but holding a shipload of people "hostage") trying to help him, rather than effectively abandoning him to his fate.

Daniel/MS is just about the only great thing about 'Legacy.'

He's just as riveting in 'Lifeboat' and 'Absolute Power,' but both of those I consider great episodes overall.

And, of the two, 'Lifeboat' gets the sentimental vote from me.

Tucker

fraG_fesT
May 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Lifeboat's pretty good.. but yeh - Legacy.

Sha're
May 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Ooh what a tough one.... he's fab in all of them. I nearly voted for holiday, but I prefer Jack and Teal'c in that - although Danny is wonderfully naive in the diner scene! Legacy is a superb piece of acting by MS and I loved him in Moebius. But Absolute Power won the day for me, he is sooo believable as evil Danny which is so "out of character" for his character.

SimilarCadence
May 18th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Torn between "Legacy" and "Lifeboat", but "Legacy" won out.

Just loved Michael Shanks in both episodes----such a gifted actor! (He really excels in roles where he loses it completely, like in "Legacy" and "Need"......) A treat to watch!

emily_reich
May 18th, 2005, 11:02 AM
lol! i was torn between lifeboat and legacy too :P

cept for me lifeboat won out... :D he does so great at playing so many different characters, especially when he switches between two of them! like going from the boy to the ruler! excellent! :)

chevroneight
May 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Lifeboat

One of my absolute fave episodes of SG1 and definitely one of my fave Daniel episodes
Legacy came a very close second though

Cassie
May 18th, 2005, 03:18 PM
My vote was Lost City 1

Daniel can't hold his liquor :P Really well acted my MS!

Odin's eyes
May 18th, 2005, 03:42 PM
There was only one option for me: "Absolute Power".

It's just so fun to see Evil Daniel. :D

SlytherinGal
May 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
VERY tough one indeed...but it came down to Legacy for me :D

Bladefanatic
May 18th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Lifeboat got my vote. I loved Absolute Power, but Shanks acting was just wonderful in Lifeboat. When he played the little boy (sorry forgot his name) it almost made me cry.

sueKay
May 19th, 2005, 05:07 AM
I voted need for the scene where he breaks down with Jack...but completely forgot about Legacy and Lifeboat...I think I'm tied between those two.

SazZat
May 19th, 2005, 08:08 AM
I voted for Need.
Was a very tough choise though cos i also loved Legacy alot. Its like one of my fave Daniel whumped eps.
But my vote went to Need because it was just such an emotional story. I mean it started out really funny with Daniel just acting a little crazy and lairy, i was PMSL. But then it went to that really dramatic sad ending with Daniel getting really dependant on the sarcophagus and going completely over the edge, but Jack was there to help him through. I just found that really touching. In that one epp i was laughing, feeling shocked, then feeling sad, and then feeling this warm feeling you get when you see 2 people helping each other out. Do you get what i mean?

Anyway in Legacy it's just Daniel going crazy and getting locked up and then getting out again. Like i said i loved it as a Daniel whumped ep, but it was very emotionally pulling as Need

:) ;)

SimilarCadence
May 19th, 2005, 08:14 AM
lol! i was torn between lifeboat and legacy too :P

cept for me lifeboat won out... :D he does so great at playing so many different characters, especially when he switches between two of them! like going from the boy to the ruler! excellent! :)

Yeah, he was so incredible as that little boy in "Lifeboat"----my eyes tear up just thinking about it. I think he must have spent time with the little actor who played him in the flashback scene, because MS had his mannerisms down pat.......

GatetheWay
May 19th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I think we should just rename this poll the favorite Daniel whumping episode. :D

DJFavorite
May 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I think we should just rename this poll the favorite Daniel whumping episode. :D

except you don't have evolution, and a few other whumped Daniel episode.

blingaway
May 19th, 2005, 10:07 AM

That would be a good poll. :D I can't see it being of much interest to the men tho... :p

I think we should have a separate Best Performance by Michael Shanks as Daniel poll, apart from the episodes. The best acting performance doesn't always happen in the best story.

Madeleine
May 19th, 2005, 10:43 AM

That's NEXT week :D :D

Madeleine
May 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I think we should have a separate Best Performance by Michael Shanks as Daniel poll, apart from the episodes. The best acting performance doesn't always happen in the best story.

Okey dokey. If you or anyone else composes a list of candidate episodes I'll make them into a poll for this series. (BTW there's no reason an ep can't appear in more than one poll if it fits:))

SazZat
May 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM
That's NEXT week :D :D

Thanks for the warning. I'll have to start thinking about it now. How will i ever decide :eek:

shipper hannah
May 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM
i voted for moebius 1 because i thought he was really funny in that one....
i was torn between legacy and moebius but moebius won because it was funnier :p

tryxy
May 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Hard choice to make but went with Lifeboat.

Ronja
May 21st, 2005, 10:58 AM

Yeah I think so too cos I voted for Lifeboat because of Michael's performance.... not necessarily cos it's the best loopy Danny ep... technically it's not a Danny ep at all so... probably should have voted for Legacy now that I think about it.

Lida
May 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
I agree with Ronja, but I think Daniel was loopiest (is that a word) in Moebius. He was fantastic in the other roles, but for sheer loop, I liked dorky Daniel. :D

Madeleine
May 22nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
Legacy is the winner, and Lifeboat and AP are both in as runners up :)

New poll coming soon...

fair_nymph
June 6th, 2005, 11:55 AM
MS is so darn good at acting loopy, but I *have* to vote for Absolute Power because evil Daniel is sooooooo sexy. I also think this episode (AP) is one of Danie's best (if not THE best) when it comes to his development as a character. Simply amazing!