This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could a ship travel ftl

could a ship really travel faster then the speed of light. I have never really belived in the whole sppeed of light barriar, I think of it as something like what humans used to think about the sound barrier. However I am not sure that humans could ever survive the accelerations at these speeds. Unfortunally the concepts of artifcial dampiners or deffently out of or reach by modern standerds. Theretically I don't think there even possable.
    Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

No, no matter in the universe can travel faster than or at the speed of light.

It would take all of the energy in the universe and then some to propell any matter that fast. At that speed matter would gain infinite mass therfore infinite gravity, therefore "sucking" everything in the universe into it. Which would effectivly destroy the universe.

Nice try, with the comparison between light and sound, it is a reasonable assumption when not having any previous kowledge on the subject, unfortunatly there is a scientific law that prevents matter from ever traveling faster than light. Expect some positive reputation soon, I can't give any right now because I have given to much in the last 24 hours, but when I can give more, that post will be getting it!

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
      No, no matter in the universe can travel faster than or at the speed of light.
      According to our best physics now, that is.

Einstinian physics will be replaced one day just as Newtonian physics was superseded by Einstein.

There are more things in heaven and earth... consider the coupling of particles that allows reactions with one particle to influence the other faster than "speed of light" propagation of effects would allow.

So don't be so sure our current scientific knowledge is accurate, because the only SURE statement is that our understanding is far from complete.

Comment

That is true, yet even though Newtonian physics was replaced his laws still remained, perhaps this will be one of the stronger points of physics. However I am not excluding the possibility that it will al be proven false, however at present, by our scientific knowledge no matter in the universe can travel at or fast that the speed of light.

Owen Macri

Comment

Yes and No. It depends on the point of reference used.

If my theory is correct, then, as the number of dimentions that a photon travels through increases, then the speed that a photon travels at increases.

In other words, you can't go faster than the speed of light, but, instead, the speed of light would, from our point of view, appear to increase, as the photon travels deeper into hyperspace.
          Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

There have been theories on how exactly hyperspace works, weather the speed of light is increased, weather shorter distances equal larger ones. But to break it down, in THIS universe, not hyperspace, not subspace, no matter can travel as fast or faster than the speed of light.

Owen Macri

Comment

A ship would never travel faster than light in 'normal' space. The laws of physics prevent it from happening. That doesn't mean you can't 'bend' the rules and find a loop-hole though...

The two biggest 'loophole' ideas are Warp drive (space itself can travel faster than light... ...so your sort of cheating... ), and the other is Hyperspace. (open up a tear in the 'fabric' of 'normal' space, and enter into an extra-dimensional realm to bypass normal space to get to your destination quicker) That is really basic... I won't go further into it, because it is beyond the topic we're currently discussing. So, the answer is no, and yes.

No, a ship can't travel faster than light (in the normal sense), ever. Yes, a ship can 'cheat' to get to a destination faster than light could travel there. Owen is right about the infinite mass, infinite fuel... it is a viscious cycle that doesn't end. You want the ship to go faster, so you need more fuel, but that makes the ship heavier, and the faster you go the heavier the ship and fuel get. So then you need more fuel, but the ship gets heavier, so you need more fuel, so the ship gets heavier, so you need more fuel...etc. etc. etc.

*whew* Blagh..! The laws of physics state that nothing can accelerate faster than the speed of light. However, there is NO rule that something can't already be traveling faster than light. They even have a name... The theoretical particles are known as Tachyons. (Tachy is greek, basically meaning really fast) Just as it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object or particle faster than light, it would also take infinite energy to slow tachyons down below the speed of light. However, as of right now, Tachyons are theoretical only. Actually... the only other thing that can move faster than light... is space itself. (the warp drive thing... ) The universe, (at least at the beginning) was expanding faster than light, and it is still expanding. In fact the rate of expansion is actually increasing, but scientist don't know why.

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

tachions can travel faster than light but thats about it.
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                  tachions can travel faster than light but thats about it.
                  uh... yeah. I said that.

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                  My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                  Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Nice post Seastallion, those were my basic points but I didn't have enough time to type all of it.

Owen Macri

Comment

Well, technically that's not QUITE true. Things CAN travel faster than light. We see it all the time. Have you ever heard of something called cherenkov radiation. It's caused when particles exceed the speed of light in a medium.

What is true is that nothing is believed to be able to travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum; it slows down drastically when passing through a medium such as air or glass or anything else. In fact, they recently managed to almost freeze light to the point that I believe it would be possible to WALK faster. Actually, I stand corrected. I just looked for a link and they stopped the light dead in it's tracks then let it go again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1124540.stm

Anyways, point being that you have to be more specific in your terminology. But generally, the only way to go FTL is to sidestep the speed barrier, whether via hyperspace, wormholes, warp, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                        That is true, yet even though Newtonian physics was replaced his laws still remained, perhaps this will be one of the stronger points of physics. However I am not excluding the possibility that it will al be proven false, however at present, by our scientific knowledge no matter in the universe can travel at or fast that the speed of light.

Owen Macri
                        Good post. Really good post. I'm sincerely impressed!

Yep. However an excellent example of the EXCEPTIONS to Newtonian physic include the duality of particle and wave, and the shooting of charged particles that DON'T have enough energy to penetrate an electromagnatic field. By Newtonian physics, NO particles should get through, but thanks to the exceptions created by Quantum Mechanics, a few will.

Newtonian and Einstinian Physics will always describe the grand sweeps, but there may be loopholes we don't yet anticipate.

Comment

Thank you very much Darth Buddha.

You have a point, it is very possible that there are aspects of our current physics that could be undermined by theories in the future.

That is true, Avatar28, I should be more specific.

A ship can not exceed 299 792 458 m / s in normal space.

About the light, that is really cool, I knew that light could be slowed down, however I had no idea anyone tried to slow it down to the point of stopping.

Owen Macri

Comment

What laws say that something nothing can travel faster and who wrote them. The theroy of realitvity dosen't count. If it did it would be the law of realitvity.
                            Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Comment

Sorry but it was Einstiens theory of realtivity. It satates the formula, that basically says the faster matter goes the greater its' mass gets, and if it reaches the speed of light it will gain infinite mass, infinite gravity, and time will stop. Even though the theories of relativity are theories, the this point is one of the more solid points of einstiens thoery.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X