This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-fi shows: Patterns in the titles?

I have a very weird assumption/ hypothesis. Is it just me or as each sci-fi show goes on, their title becomes more obscure......they are are not basic words....(I myself often find myself looking up certain words when a title for a sci-fi show pops up on the screen or they usually come from acient times). And please note this is not with each episode in every specific season that this pattern occurs.

Examples (titles go in chronilogical order S1, S2.....)(skips seasons to show greater progression and / indicates more obscure titles later on in series)

#1: Stargate Sg-1: (politics, show and tell, deadman switch, window of Oppurtunity/ orpheu, chimera, affinity, moebius)

#2: Highlander: (Family tree, the darkness/ duende, money no object, comes a horseman, revelations 6:8

A lot of times, once you see the episode, you finally understand why it was titled that.

But sure the titles become obscure. One, it gets harder and harder to come up with new titles, and Two, they do it to draw you in and watch.

At least it's better that the 'Friends' titles. All of them were "The one with...". I liked 'Friends' and I didn't even realize that they had titles.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

I guess because the shows build on mythology and become more complex. The title might have to get more obscure to reflect the episode content.

And then if you already used all the simple ones you have to move onto the more obscure one.

At least they don't have pretentious titles.

Comment

Once 'Through the Looking Glass' and 'Message in a Bottle' are used up, they have to start thinking outside the box.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

On Smallville, the episodes tend to have very cryptic titles. One of the reasons for this is the pattern of one-word titles they've established. It's hard to get descriptive with just one word unless you're being somewhat cryptic. If you stop and think about the title after you've seen the episode it usually makes sense. I've caught myself going "Ahhh....that's what it referred to..." more than once.
          Thomas G Sluder
          Smyrna, DE, USA

Comment

Yeah, I really don't like the Smallville titles; one-word only is too creatively limiting.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

I don't know about "obscure," but I have noticed a few Episodes of other shows with the same name:

Smallville has had epsodes named: Forsaken & Covenant

Between the Trek series, B5, and others, I am sure there are plenty more.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

All of them have either Redemption, Birthright, The Changeling,.......most have at least one episode with the word "Home" in it.....all series finale episode have names like: Finale(Highlander), Endgame(Voyager), All Good Things.....(TNG), These Are The Voyages....(Enterprise), What You Leave Behind(DS9), The Heart of the Journey(Andromeda),.....
                Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor
                  Once 'Through the Looking Glass' and 'Message in a Bottle' are used up, they have to start thinking outside the box.
                  ha I almost said that LOL
                  Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor
                    Ah, but no show can approach Trek for the different number of mirror episode titles they could come up with ;p

Mirror, Mirror; Through the Looking Glass; Shattered Mirror; In a Mirror, Darkly ;p
                    Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Working...
                    X