Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The replicators have became reality! (no joke)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The replicators have became reality! (no joke)

http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20

This is actually kind of scary. Sounds exactly like the replicators.

haven't machines been building machines for years?
    Ses
    James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Not like this. This seems exactly like the replicator style.

Comment

Its already too late. Once its networked google will take it over. Google has become self aware. I believe it may be my fault, I googled google. I thought it was innocent at first but now I fear it may be just waiting for the right opportunity and this may very well be it Google is linked to everything, its over.

LEE IS NOT A CYLON

Comment

Originally posted by Vorlon-1
          Its already too late. Once its networked google will take it over. Google has become self aware. I believe it may be my fault, I googled google. I thought it was innocent at first but now I fear it may be just waiting for the right opportunity and this may very well be it Google is linked to everything, its over.
          This smacks of something. nah, I"m probably just being paranoid.
          ~Teddy
          "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Comment

Link: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6683 (pics included)

Here's some interesting parts:

A shape-shifting robot comprised of many independently moving components has been demonstrated walking, rolling and slithering for the first time.
            Lund told New Scientist that the simple design of the robot's modules allow it to scale up to greater overall complexity. He has made 100 modules so far.

The coordinated movement of numerous cells enables the robot to change its overall shape and also move itself along. The cells each have a computer and communicate with each other via an infrared link. To complete tasks, the cells share information and perform computations together.
            We're SO screwed!

Comment

You didn't happen to look at the date? 10 months old

Comment

Huh, guess I should've.

Bit I did saw it on TV only a few minutes ago, so maybe they came up with another one.

Either way, the similarity to Replicators is pretty interesting.

Comment

doesn't look like they'll be eating metal any time soon tho... good thing too...

There is a similar research project looknig into claytronics - i'm not sure if this is the same thing, but the two are very similar...
                  "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

This has already been mentioned many times
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Can't blame a noob for trying.

Comment

Thats actaually kinda cool except for the fact that were ALL GONNA DIE if someone is stupid enough to do that
                        My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                          Can't blame a noob for trying.
                          You are right about that but next time use the search function
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

The real world replicators are being developed right now no joke.
                            Look at item #25 that I posted in my thread titled, "real world science items that could be used on SG1" over in the general discussion area.
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...1&page=3&pp=20
                            I last posted there on Aug 5th.
                            I moved the thread over to here (the science and tech area) starting at item #38 or something like that.

I believe that this type of stuctural strategy for "replicators" would come later on, once other more difficult tasks are "nailed down" by the machines.
                            So just going directly to this step that you are posting here is skipping ahead. They would still have other things to accomplish before they developed a structual strategy like this in order to survive or operate more efficiently.

Comment

The Search button is your friend, use it!

Comment

Working...
                              X