Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

There seems to be an interest in the Day After Tomorrow thread to continue HP talk, so I thought I'd push it over here.

Someone suggested the kids will be too old after Order of the Phoenix and are going to try to find replacements. I suppose they'd be three or four years too old by the time the seventh book is translated to film, but look at Jake Gyllenhaal in "Donnie Darko." Here's a 21-year-old guy playing a fifteen-year-old part. Granted, one has to have the looks of a younger person, but something tells me there will be a big revolt if someone tries to drop the ball on Dan, Rup and Em.

^I have a feeling it'll be the decision of the kids to stay on or not, not the studios. I imagine the studio'll want them around as long as they still look the part.

Anyways, its been pretty unanimous from critics that HP III is by far the best of the three and most are saying it actually qualifies as cinema. I'm really excited, and my freinds and I have tickets for the Thursday at midnight screening. I hope Cuaron decides to come back for the 5th movie, but I doubt it.

Phil
    Teal'c: I believe a medical attack could be successful.
    Jack: Surgical attack Teal'c. It's called a surgical attack.

Comment

Yeah I read an interview with Daniel Radcliffe where he was saying that he wasn't sure if he would be coming back for Order of the Pheonix. Apparently they sign on on a by film basis. I just don't know if it would be the same with different characters playing the main roles. I'm going to have a hard enough time with the new Dumbledore. Of course if they play the characters throughout the entire series seems dependant on how fast J.K. Rowling can crank out the last 2 books.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

David, that was me who started the character leaving topic stuff

Apparently, the books are based on a young student who goes to a school (Hogwarts) and not to actually develop into a teenager. However, my guess is that J.K. Rowling will want the same actors because they have become known as them people now. She may adapt the final two books to a teenager style
        __

__

Comment

Hahahahaha
          Its out it britian now! I'm gonna see it to day properly so I'll post comments later.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Do enjoy it because when I was there, the time flew by
            __

__

Comment

Well I've see nit and its OK the special effects are great but as always with the HP movies the plot wouldn't make amazing sense if you hadn't read the book.

And most of the finer detail is lost and so of the subtle foreshoadow of both Azakabans and the comments and things that only make sense when pPheonix comes about. Also a lot of Siruis and Co's background is missing so we don't know why their animagus or anything, while it doesn't make much difference now i can't help but to think they'll be important futher down the line.

However some of their additions and they way they merge similar sences togther is good
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Myself, I've never actually not read the books. Then I heard they were doing movies. I think whatever way round you see/read them the other will seem strange
                __

__

Comment

For those who fear the children of the Harry Potter series will be replaced with younger versions of themselves before the series ends, read this article:

http://www.fandango.com/news_fullsto...95766351965030

Comment

I thought it would be so stupid if they did replace them.
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Azkaban was my favorite of the books, but it will not, I think, be my favorite of the movies. The portrayal of the kids seemed a little more realistic and less happy-skippy fantasyworld stuff, but I also felt that some of the inherent "magic" of the series was lost. I'll have to re-read the book, but I think that a lot of important stuff was left out or glossed over.

I'll also be very curious to see if they really CAN manage to keep the same cast for the whole series. Not everyone can pull off the "older actor playing younger character) thing, and the kids ARE starting to look a bit older than their roles.

And wow, what a difference a few years make. I utterly failed to recognize Neville, who has shot up like a weed, and if that black kid was the sports announcer from the previous films he's... er... grown out a bit. Makes me wonder what other characters I missed.

Comment

I'm an avid fan of both the movies and the books.

Doing English lit at uni we've learned that expecting a movie to be the same as a book is if not wrong, than not exactly right.

Rather than seeing them on their own look at them as complimentary. Certainly the Order of the Pheonix was written with movie SFX in mind, or at least thats the way I read it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie on thursday. I'll post my opinion after i see it.

Comment

I saw the movie on Friday, i'm not a big fan of the books or the movies, but in my opinion, the children are playing '13' years old in the third movie, but they look like 15-16 year olds, but yes, its a 'tiny' stretch, but its something i can deal with.

Comment

I guess I just don't see what the big deal is seeing as how they constantly have people in their early all the way up to late twenties playing teenagers in film and t.v. all of the time. What's so different in this case? I just don't think I could get used to an entirely different cast of children. I think Daniel Radcliffe has Harry Potter nailed down. And the same for Rupert and Emma. Especially Rupert. These films are one of the only times that I have liked the movies even though I read the books first. Usually when I've read the books first the movies are a huge disapointment.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Yah, the actors got their role in Harry Potter down. I liked the movie, even though i don't like the books, well i didnt' like the whole storyline really, but i liked the movie at least? haha...

Comment

Working...
                              X