PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

David
June 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM
There seems to be an interest in the Day After Tomorrow thread to continue HP talk, so I thought I'd push it over here.

Someone suggested the kids will be too old after Order of the Phoenix and are going to try to find replacements. I suppose they'd be three or four years too old by the time the seventh book is translated to film, but look at Jake Gyllenhaal in "Donnie Darko." Here's a 21-year-old guy playing a fifteen-year-old part. Granted, one has to have the looks of a younger person, but something tells me there will be a big revolt if someone tries to drop the ball on Dan, Rup and Em.

USS Thunderchild
June 1st, 2004, 03:25 PM
^I have a feeling it'll be the decision of the kids to stay on or not, not the studios. I imagine the studio'll want them around as long as they still look the part.

Anyways, its been pretty unanimous from critics that HP III is by far the best of the three and most are saying it actually qualifies as cinema. I'm really excited, and my freinds and I have tickets for the Thursday at midnight screening. I hope Cuaron decides to come back for the 5th movie, but I doubt it.

Phil

Shipperahoy
June 1st, 2004, 05:15 PM
Yeah I read an interview with Daniel Radcliffe where he was saying that he wasn't sure if he would be coming back for Order of the Pheonix. Apparently they sign on on a by film basis. I just don't know if it would be the same with different characters playing the main roles. I'm going to have a hard enough time with the new Dumbledore. Of course if they play the characters throughout the entire series seems dependant on how fast J.K. Rowling can crank out the last 2 books.

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 02:17 AM
David, that was me who started the character leaving topic stuff

Apparently, the books are based on a young student who goes to a school (Hogwarts) and not to actually develop into a teenager. However, my guess is that J.K. Rowling will want the same actors because they have become known as them people now. She may adapt the final two books to a teenager style

Crazedwraith
June 2nd, 2004, 02:20 AM
Hahahahaha
Its out it britian now! I'm gonna see it to day properly so I'll post comments later.

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 02:23 AM
Do enjoy it because when I was there, the time flew by

Crazedwraith
June 2nd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Well I've see nit and its OK the special effects are great but as always with the HP movies the plot wouldn't make amazing sense if you hadn't read the book.

And most of the finer detail is lost and so of the subtle foreshoadow of both Azakabans and the comments and things that only make sense when pPheonix comes about. Also a lot of Siruis and Co's background is missing so we don't know why their animagus or anything, while it doesn't make much difference now i can't help but to think they'll be important futher down the line.

However some of their additions and they way they merge similar sences togther is good

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 12:18 PM
Myself, I've never actually not read the books. Then I heard they were doing movies. I think whatever way round you see/read them the other will seem strange

David
June 6th, 2004, 08:03 PM
For those who fear the children of the Harry Potter series will be replaced with younger versions of themselves before the series ends, read this article:

http://www.fandango.com/news_fullstory.asp?id=wenn%5F2004%5F05%5F26%5Feng%2Dwenn%5Feng%2Dwenn%5F132119%5 F4134495766351965030

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I thought it would be so stupid if they did replace them.

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Azkaban was my favorite of the books, but it will not, I think, be my favorite of the movies. The portrayal of the kids seemed a little more realistic and less happy-skippy fantasyworld stuff, but I also felt that some of the inherent "magic" of the series was lost. I'll have to re-read the book, but I think that a lot of important stuff was left out or glossed over.

I'll also be very curious to see if they really CAN manage to keep the same cast for the whole series. Not everyone can pull off the "older actor playing younger character) thing, and the kids ARE starting to look a bit older than their roles.

And wow, what a difference a few years make. I utterly failed to recognize Neville, who has shot up like a weed, and if that black kid was the sports announcer from the previous films he's... er... grown out a bit. Makes me wonder what other characters I missed.

Jafana
June 6th, 2004, 10:25 PM
I'm an avid fan of both the movies and the books.

Doing English lit at uni we've learned that expecting a movie to be the same as a book is if not wrong, than not exactly right.

Rather than seeing them on their own look at them as complimentary. Certainly the Order of the Pheonix was written with movie SFX in mind, or at least thats the way I read it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie on thursday. I'll post my opinion after i see it.

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 11:09 PM
I saw the movie on Friday, i'm not a big fan of the books or the movies, but in my opinion, the children are playing '13' years old in the third movie, but they look like 15-16 year olds, but yes, its a 'tiny' stretch, but its something i can deal with.

Shipperahoy
June 6th, 2004, 11:36 PM
I guess I just don't see what the big deal is seeing as how they constantly have people in their early all the way up to late twenties playing teenagers in film and t.v. all of the time. What's so different in this case? I just don't think I could get used to an entirely different cast of children. I think Daniel Radcliffe has Harry Potter nailed down. And the same for Rupert and Emma. Especially Rupert. These films are one of the only times that I have liked the movies even though I read the books first. Usually when I've read the books first the movies are a huge disapointment.

Elwe Singollo
June 6th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Yah, the actors got their role in Harry Potter down. I liked the movie, even though i don't like the books, well i didnt' like the whole storyline really, but i liked the movie at least? haha...

Anubis
June 7th, 2004, 07:56 AM
I was shocked to find out that the film was made in as little as four months. And some interview in the UK with Emma Watson said that she "Did not enjoy spending all of her time in a blue scree, it felt pointless"

elhSG1
June 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Saw it Saturday at the IMAX, which by the way was truely a great experience, and I loved it, definately darker than the first 2 movies. I agree with everyone else, the actors definately are good, hopefully they'll be able to keep using these ones, it would be so hard to get used to other actors.

Greesha
June 13th, 2004, 05:14 PM
this one was the only harry potter movie i've seen, but i've read all the books. i liked the special effects and being able to see the setting and everything, but i agree that a lot of stuff was lost in translation. i mean, obviously they can't show them going to the same classes every day like they do in the book, that would get boring, but still. i got this sense that i wouldn't have understood the movie if i hadn't read the book.

ShadowMaat
June 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
They left out all the bickering between Ron & Hermione, they left out Crookshanks's role in things and the fact that he's smarter than the average cat, they left out the fact that Harry could hear his mother begging Voldemort to spare him (which I would have thought was kind of important), they skipped the winning of the House Cup! And Oliver Wood's last year, dammit! And what about the fact that Sirius was SO big a threat that he was on the Muggle news?? I know they had to pare things down, but I think that some of what was lost was important and the movie itself didn't really give you time to pause and reflect. There was no sense of buildup, no accumulation of suspense, just zip-zip-zip through the whole movie.

I agree with Greesha, if I hadn't read the book I'd probably have been lost. As it was, I had the nagging sense through the whole movie that I was missing important things.

petzke_42
June 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I didn't read the books, and I got it fine...but I'm a LITTLE (read: a lot) smarter than the average person :P .

(Although, why was Cerious Black all menacing on the poster if he wasn't guilty?)

(excuse the spelling of his name, didn't read the book)

David
June 13th, 2004, 06:32 PM
I have yet to read the book, though I wouldn't consider myself lost, but dissapointed. I didn't feel like there was an ending. No Baselisk to stick it to. In fact, I the "ending" was in act four and then replayed again in act five from a distance. I didn't expect it to end with Harry on a broom :(

Out of the three films it is my least favorite.

Jafana
June 13th, 2004, 08:07 PM
I didn't read the books, and I got it fine...but I'm a LITTLE (read: a lot) smarter than the average person :P .

(Although, why was Cerious Black all menacing on the poster if he wasn't guilty?)

(excuse the spelling of his name, didn't read the book)

by the time that that photo was taken, the dementors had had a little feed on him, not to mention the fact that he knew he was innocent, and he also knew exactly where he was going to be put (ie. Azkaban)
you would look pretty menacing in those shots too, if you were in that kind of a situation.

As for getting the movie if you havent read the books: if you've seen the other movies then you're probably ok with getting most of the storyline of this movie. It was actually a really good film if you can convieniently forget about everything else that happens. It follows the main plot really well.
however, what i think that people are upset about is that there are a lot of sub-plots that were left out, stuff that will be important to know the background of in later films because they become quite large plots in the books.

one little niggle question: was it this book that hermione finds out how badly the house elves are treated? or is that the fifth book? Coz i remember so goes crazy over the knitting of hats and things to try to free the house elves of the school.

ShadowMaat
June 13th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Fourth book sees the introduction of SPEW- Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare or whatever it is. It continues on into the fifth book. ;)

I've been re-reading the books to refamiliarize myself with what's happening. It's only reaffirming what I said earlier about Azkaban being my fave book but least fave movie...

Shipperahoy
June 14th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Well I love the book and I liked the movie but I actually think I would have liked the movie better if I hadn't read the book because then I wouldn't have noticed the massive amount ot stuff that was cut out. I read somewhere that they aren't going to have the Dursely's in the Goblet of Fire movie. Say what? I'm dying to see on screen the scene where the Weasely's pop out of the fireplace into the Dursely's living room. I can't wait to see how they do the Quidditch World Cup though.

ShadowMaat
June 15th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Bloody stupid forum swallowing my frelling posts...

AS I WAS SAYING... How can you possibly leave out the Dursleys?? I know we hate them, but as we learn in Order of the Phoenix, they're actually quite vital to the over-all storyline.

I heard on another board that they may leave out the bit about Ireland winning the World Cup. I dunno how true that is because frankly it boggles my mind that they could even CONSIDER not including it. I mean, come on! Ireland!! WORLD CUP!! This is important stuff! ;)

I have a very bad feeling about the rest of the movies. I think that the "paring down" is going to get worse and that certain small-but-eventually-vital plot elements are going to continue to get dropped. *sigh* I know the movies can't be exactly like the books and I know they can't include everything, but... some things should be included and so far I'm not confident that they've been doing a good job of that.

Shipperahoy
June 15th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I nkow what you mean. The guy who plays Vernon Dursely was really disapointed. It just seems like something that shouldn't be cut out. I realize, of course, that if they didn't cut some stuff they'd have about a 6 hour movie but some of the stuff they cut I really enjoy. But I believe that they just started filming on Goblet of Fire so maybe there's still hope that they'll put it in. I mean where would the movie start? Just the Weasely's and Harry off to the World Cup with no explanation as to how Harry got there?

ShadowMaat
June 15th, 2004, 09:56 PM
They'll start it off in the woods with Harry & co. getting lost and the Dark Mark appearing. No Dursleys, no World Cup, no leprechauns and veela... *sigh*

Shipperahoy
June 15th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah, they could just turn it into a short film while they're at it. Still they movies are pretty enjoyable to me. I just think I would like them a whole lot better if I didn't know what was missing. Besides my son loves them. And he's only a little over 2 1/2 which I thought was too young but my friend convinced me to go with her and her 4 year old and he sat through all of the Prisoner of Azkaban at the theatre. And now every time a commercial comes on even if he's in another room he recognized it just from the sound and he'll run in screaming "Harry Potter, Harry Potter!". I bought him the Chamber of Secrets yesterday and he wants to keep watching it over and over again. Especially the flying car scene.

Bagpuss
June 16th, 2004, 01:21 PM
I've read all the views and reviews here,and it seems that the film is well worth seeing,but far from the detail of the book.

The "Gatelets" want to go to the cinema,as they're both keen to see Harry and Co. in action....so we'll give it a whirl ! :S

Left to me,we'd just buy the DVD,whenever it comes out,as I hate going to cinemas....too noisy,IMO. I don't enjoy being deafened by the incidental music....and I can do without my son's constant questions too !

Jonas
June 16th, 2004, 01:50 PM
They were thinking about splitting up "Goblet" into 2 movies, ala "Kill Bill", but according to Entertainment Weekly, Alfonzo Curzon convinced screen writer Steve Kloves not to do it. Shame on him! :(

Elwe Singollo
June 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM
So is it going to be 'lotr movie' long?

petzke_42
June 16th, 2004, 11:32 PM
It was a little under 3 hours I believe...it was pretty long, but if you enjoyed the last two movies, you won't even notice it.

sgeureka
June 18th, 2004, 04:30 AM
I have yet to read the book, though I wouldn't consider myself lost, but dissapointed. I didn't feel like there was an ending. No Baselisk to stick it to. In fact, I the "ending" was in act four and then replayed again in act five from a distance. I didn't expect it to end with Harry on a broom :(

Out of the three films it is my least favorite.
I didn't like the third book as much because I also felt it had no real end. Although it was still a good book.

So I finally watched the movie a few days ago, and I was surprised to find out how good it was. Must have been at least two years since I read the third book, and I had forgotten almost all the details, so I didn't notice the lack of details in the movie.

I would have wished that there was one or two more scenes with Harry and Lupin to explain what's going on, but I am glad that they focused more on the end bit. And I liked that there were no big Quidditch scenes (except for that one). I can't stay focused when I have to read a 30 pages Quidditch game, and I also don't like 15 min Quidditch straight on screen (and I find that Harry on the broom looks just fake, although I would say that the VFX department is doing a good job with all the other things). :)

Anyway, does somebody know who'll be directing the fourth movie? The same guy as with this movie?

Elwe Singollo
June 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM
It was a little under 3 hours I believe...it was pretty long, but if you enjoyed the last two movies, you won't even notice it.According to Movies.com, it was approx. 136 minutes, so lets see... my math skillz arent the best... but lets see anyways... 136... divide that... Around 2 hours and 26 minutes?

Anubis
June 18th, 2004, 02:47 PM
I have to admit, I think this was the worst of the three films. OK, there was the odd humour scene with the punch but it wasn't amazing. I think the films are getting a little too overrated now. Just my two cents

Actually the time was 2hrs and 16min

Elwe Singollo
June 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Yah, the third film wasn't as good as Shrek 2, but oh well, those two are completely different movies, ones 'fantasy' and ones 'comedy', so yah, haha..

Where did you find out the actual length of the movie?

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Me just clever! lol

I really want to see Shrek 2 as soon as it comes out

Elwe Singollo
June 19th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Oh well, i'll stick with my 136 minutes :) Haha..

5aret
June 23rd, 2004, 09:13 AM
I liked Harry Potter 3. I agree though, the ending could have been better...

Elwe Singollo
June 24th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Well, Harry Potter 4 is going to be super long then, considering the 4th book was like 'a lot of pages'. It won't be turned into 2 movies like what Kill Bill did, thats what i read at upcomingmovies.com, or yahoo movies.

Shipperahoy
June 24th, 2004, 02:58 PM
The fact that they aren't going to turn it into 2 movies doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to a super long movie. What it probably means is that they're going to cut the heck out of it. There already was an article that said they were most likey going to cut the Dursely's out of the Goblet of Fire movie completely. I just don't know about that, it seems so wrong.

5aret
June 24th, 2004, 03:51 PM
The fact that they aren't going to turn it into 2 movies doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to a super long movie. What it probably means is that they're going to cut the heck out of it. There already was an article that said they were most likey going to cut the Dursely's out of the Goblet of Fire movie completely. I just don't know about that, it seems so wrong.

I agree. So the longer the book is, the less you get put of the movie because they cut out several important(to me anyway) parts of the book. The movies ending was diffrent then the ending in the book because the ending was cut out. (I like the ending in the book to) :(

Elwe Singollo
June 24th, 2004, 03:57 PM
The fact that they aren't going to turn it into 2 movies doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to a super long movie. What it probably means is that they're going to cut the heck out of it. There already was an article that said they were most likey going to cut the Dursely's out of the Goblet of Fire movie completely. I just don't know about that, it seems so wrong.The LOTR movies (all three of them) were cut up as well, and were still pretty long, but yah... I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, but wasn't Dursely an important, but small character?

5aret
June 24th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Dursley is not a character. They are Harrys uncle, aunt and fat cousin. They are the Dursleys. They have a small but important roll in Harry Potter. Its funny seeing Harry doing things to the Dursleys. :o

Shipperahoy
June 24th, 2004, 04:12 PM
The LOTR movies (all three of them) were cut up as well, and were still pretty long, but yah... I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, but wasn't Dursely an important, but small character?

To me the Dursely's are a vital part of the books. Some may not agree but I think their parts are important. Besides there was an absolutely hilarious moment with the Harry, the Dursely's, and the Weasely's in the beginning of Goblet of Fire and it would be a crying shame to have it cut out IMO.

Elwe Singollo
June 24th, 2004, 04:13 PM
When you said "Dursley" isn't a character, i thought for a second it wasn't related to the book, haha, but when you went on about the family part, i understand now, haha... I'm not really interested in the whole 'Harry Potter' books, but i do show interest towards some of the characters.

Elwe Singollo
June 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM
To me the Dursely's are a vital part of the books. Some may not agree but I think their parts are important. Besides there was an absolutely hilarious moment with the Harry, the Dursely's, and the Weasely's in the beginning of Goblet of Fire and it would be a crying shame to have it cut out IMO.I bet my friend will annoy me about how they shoudn't have cut them out i guess, haha... Cause my friend said they cut out like 5 chapters of Harry Potter 3, so i was like, wow, they like to cut... Snip.. Snip... :)

ShadowMaat
July 2nd, 2004, 08:53 PM
If anyone's interested in reading a good parody, Cleolinda's Harry Potter: POA in Fifteen Minutes (http://www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/2237.html) is hysterical! Granted, it helps if you've read some of her other Fifteen Minute Movies (particularly Day After Tomorrow (http://www.livejournal.com/users/cleolinda/112010.html)) but even if you haven't, it's a fun read.

She's supposed to be coming out with a book, eventually. I can't wait. ;)

David
July 3rd, 2004, 07:05 AM
LOL

I am now a fan of Cleolinda.

Iskandra
July 3rd, 2004, 08:01 AM
If anyone's interested in reading a good parody, Cleolinda's Harry Potter: POA in Fifteen Minutes (http://www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/2237.html) is hysterical! Granted, it helps if you've read some of her other Fifteen Minute Movies (particularly Day After Tomorrow (http://www.livejournal.com/users/cleolinda/112010.html)) but even if you haven't, it's a fun read.

She's supposed to be coming out with a book, eventually. I can't wait. ;)

Do I really have to be a member of Livejournal to read this or is the site only acting weirdly???

*Wanna have a laugh, too!* :(

ShadowMaat
July 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Sounds like she's having problems. Just checked the main site and found this:

Due to a rash of plagiarism and general asshattery this week, I am locking the "Fifteen Minutes" entries so that only comm members can read them. Anyone can join the community, but I'm hoping that it will cut down on random passersby who have no problem jacking my stuff...

That's too bad. I know she was having problems. Guess they've gotten worse. I may have to join the community, myself, just 'cause I love her stuff so much. ;)

Edit: Hmm... looks like you have to set up an actual livejournal account in order to join any communities. That sucks. I just wanna read her stuff, I don't wanna have to do anything myself...

David
July 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Your links worked perfect, Shadow, though I have not checked back since this morning. She has a great comedy rythm, one that's not overdone but is very effective. Until you said something I didn't realize she was on the Forum! Woopay!

ShadowMaat
July 3rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Er.... no, she isn't on the forum. Not that I'm aware of, anyway. I just got tricky with the quoting bit and snipped something from her livejournal. ;)

Sounds like there's a specific person who has been stealing all her stuff and posting it as his own and then- to make matters even more insulting- he's been going in to edit the comments left and change all the complaints/flames into praise for himself. Why livejournal allows you to go in and change the content of user comments is beyond me. Deleting I could understand, but editing content?? That opens up a very nasty can of worms.

Anyway, I dunno if it was a temporary measure or not, but I signed up just to be on the safe side. My livejournal is going to look very pathetic, but there ya have it. *sigh* The things I'll do for a bit of good entertainment. ;)

I just wish she had the first two HP movies done up somewhere. And LOTR. I think one of my fave bits is when the Dementor is hissing "Shiiire. Bagginnsss." :D

Hmmm... maybe I could ask her if she watches Stargate. Wonder if she'd be interested in "abridging" SG eps. Or at least the original movie...

David
July 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Abridging SG episodes is not an easy job (unless you were particular in selecting shows). There's something similar over at Solutions. Cool graphic, but my interest ends there.

Someone's stealing her stuff? TOTALLY WRONG. That's the problem with modifying something someone else has already done. I can't tell you how many times folks have stolen images from my Omnipedia. I may have captured the shots, but the content of the shots is NOT my own. It stinks.

As for LiveJournal, I hope they fix those kinds of liberties in the next update. That's not fair.

And thanks for clearing up the fact that she's not on the forum - yet. We need to invite her! How fun.

Starlilica
October 9th, 2004, 08:42 PM
I love Harry Potter, the books more than the movies. So, I'm starting a general HP thread. Wheeeeeeeee! First, Potter Puppet Pals. Anyone heard of it?
Next, Mugglenet, my favorite site ^.~
Last, the Half-Blood Prince. Anyone else excited?

MartoufMarty
October 9th, 2004, 08:50 PM
YAY FOR POTTER PUPPET PALS!

I really like the movies (ESPECIALLY THE THIRD ONE) and I've never read the books. I have kind of made an oath that I'd be the only one in the world who has never read the books.

Starlilica
October 9th, 2004, 08:56 PM
*shurgs* To each his own, but it is in my opinon that you're missing out. :D Have fun, though. Who's your favorite character(s)?

MartoufMarty
October 9th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Um... I dunno lol.

Harry was all angsty in the third movie. I dunno. I'm not really INTO it like LOTR or Stargate to really have a favorite character.

Gµmmi@nð
October 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I got two friends (one of each sex) who's obsessed with the stuff, so I listen to alot of HP-babble sometimes.
I really like the movies, too, and I own the first four books, read about half of the first one.

My favorite character has to be Professor Severus Snape, he's pretty funky. :p

greytop
October 9th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Not everyone has to a youngster to enjoy Harry Potter. I am 50+ and have watch all three movies and read all the books that are out. I enjoy the books more than I do the movies.

Starlilica
October 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM
My mom, 34, really enjoys them too. It's great, except she doesn't seem to like to talk about them too much.
She's also a big SG fan and LotR fan :) I've got a very cool mom.

Major Clanger
October 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
well, don't be shocked, it is possible to be 'old' and cool!!! ;)

I love LOTR and Stargate too... and HP. I loved the 3rd film, The Prisoner from Azkaban is also my favourite of the books. As for my favourite character?

Sirius Black, hands down. But I'm another one who thinks there is a lot more to Snape than meets the eye. He's a fab character. But (especially since I saw the film) Black is up there with my all time favourite literary characters.

Starlilica
October 12th, 2004, 12:01 PM
My mother an I both think that Snape is an awesome charcter -- you love to hate him! I, too, think there's a little more to him, but I've been reading too many editorials....
My favorite charcters include:
Snape
Sirius
Dumbledore
McGonagall
Ginny
Mrs. Weasly

There's somemore, but I'm waaaaaaay to lazy :D

veneticuss
October 12th, 2004, 12:06 PM
The book is ok, the film is a total crap. Seen half of the first movie and a bit of the third one. Boring, nothing.......etc....etc..

Starlilica
October 12th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Accutally, I thought the third was the best, but still not as good as the books. I didn't really care for the first and second. Which is werid, because after seeing the first film I wanted to read it. :D

JediTrilobite
October 13th, 2004, 05:30 AM
I've enjoyed the books, but really don't like the way that the movies are handled. I'd have to say that book 3 is my favorite.
However, HP is not my favorite fantasy series. I'd have to say LOTR, His Dark Materials and Earthsea top it.

Starlilica
October 13th, 2004, 09:00 AM
So what does everyone think about the next book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince?

Major Tyler
October 13th, 2004, 09:10 AM
I never thought I'd read the books but my friends got me hooked! They're so proud of themselves. Now I'm definately a Pot-head. :) The movies were fun, and I can't wait until book 4 comes out in movie form.
So what does everyone think about the next book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? I haven't read it yet.

greytop
October 13th, 2004, 09:21 AM
So what does everyone think about the next book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince?
You mean it is out already? This is the first time I have heard of the name of next book in the series.

JediTrilobite
October 13th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Haven't read it yet. I'll get it when it comes out, but I probably won't read it more than a couple times, at least for now.

Starlilica
October 13th, 2004, 12:22 PM
^.^ Well, how do you think is the Half-Blood Prince? It's not Harry or Voldie, Jo said so herself ( www.jkrowling.com ).

Erik Pasternak
October 13th, 2004, 12:49 PM
^.^ Well, how do you think is the Half-Blood Prince? It's not Harry or Voldie, Jo said so herself ( www.jkrowling.com ).
My guess is either the new DADA teacher or McClaggan.

Starlilica
October 13th, 2004, 02:28 PM
It's possible, but my personal thoughts are unlikely. Also, I don't think that the HPB is anyone we've met, same with the new DADA teacher. Also, you you think that this excerpt (http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=book6_excerpt1.jpg) (released by Jo) refers to the new DADA teacher, the HBP or McClaggan. Or maybe someone new?

Erik Pasternak
October 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Either DADA or McClaggan. I visit MuggleNet too, and I think this was once a poll question. I'll go look up the results.

EDIT: Never mind, it was never a poll question.

Starlilica
October 13th, 2004, 09:10 PM
No, you were right. It was called, "Who do you think is the HBP?" Jo said she voted in it, that's why I remember :) But I wanna know why and such. I don't think it would be anyone we know. I can just feel it. But I have been known to be wrong....

gpguk
October 17th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone

Yay a harry potter thread! I love love love the books, my cousin gave me it to read cause he thought i would love it, he was 10 at the time!lol. Anyway i got hooked on it then. My favourite book is the third, but the fifth is well on its way up the chart.

Loved the third movie, hermionie hitting malfoy was fab!

Im really looking forward to the next book, JK said that one of the main characters is going to be killed off, hope its not one of the trio! hope its out next year dont think i could wait any longer! I read book five in a day and a half, i was really sad the book shop opened at 8 i was there for 8:30 got it and started reading it, i couldnt put it down read till about 11:30 and then picked it up the day after. me and my cousin were having a bet who could read it the fastest aswell.

Well ive made myself look really sad havent i!lol im a geek to the core!

Well hope everyone is ok and hope you are all having good days.

gilly

greytop
December 21st, 2004, 12:52 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls the next installemnt of Harry Potter will be coming out 16 July 2005. My source is my web's home page.

SlytherinGal
May 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Here is a thread for all you HP fans out there....so post pics, discuss the books, discuss the movies, etc. But remember one thing...SNAPE ROCKS!!! and SLYTHERIN PRIDE!!

wizengamot
May 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Yes! *bows to the master* indeed Slytherin's do rock! I love Harry Potter and I cannot WAIT until July!

Gate Trippin'
May 11th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Just saw the GOF movie trailer yesterday...WoooHooo! The dragons looks pretty good and all the boys are sporting longish hair-rather cute :)

wizengamot
May 11th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah Im really excited about that too!! Looks good!!!

If anyone likes that sort of thing, I'm part of a HP-zine, and the first issue is ready soon (I designed the cover w00tw00t haha) It's via-snail mail. ITS WAY COOL!! haha

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39368000/jpg/_39368215_potter4web.jpg

SlytherinGal
May 11th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Weeeeee! Cool Juli, I can't wait to see it...post it here if you can. The 4th movie is gonna rock! Book six is gonna rock too! :D I heard that in the 4th movie, it is nothing but action after action....woohoo! I just hope movie 5 is just as good...I can't wait for that one so we can all see the Occulmency lessons and Snapes worst memory!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/PegasusGalaxy/Snape.jpg

gatebee
May 11th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know if the three main actors will be doing all the movies? Can't wait for the book. Harry Potter is the only books that our whole family ever read.

blingaway
May 11th, 2005, 09:04 PM
My kids and I were watching PoA just a while ago... :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/ggode/buckbeak.jpg

CKO
May 11th, 2005, 09:07 PM
okay.... here i am :)

SlytherinGal
May 11th, 2005, 09:19 PM
welcome welcome :D

gatebee
May 11th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I remember the first book we had we bought from England because it had not arrived in the US as yet. And her last book, "Order of the Phoenix" we have 4 copies. One is in audio form, one book for youngest daughter going to camp, one book for daughter in UK and the last book hubby and I had to share. Will most probably be doing the same thing this year. In fact we preordered already for the midnight release.
By the way the words are not exactly the same for the US/UK books.

Purpleyin
May 12th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I should have known you'd be the one too start this thread P_M. :) Slytherin is great but I have toadmit i'm probably Ravenclaw (though Snape is great ;))
Can't believe there wasn't one already, surely there are more HP fans around?

I'm so happy we get the new book, might have to reread the others to prepare. Plus I'm quite happy at the prospect of the new film. PoA was my favourite book and I really liked the film but it didn't translate quite as well as I'm hopnig GoF will - more action. :D Bring on July 16th, got my book preordered since about February or something like that.

iLemon
May 12th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Which class do you guys thing you'll end up in if you went to Hogwarts?
I'd probably be in Ravenclaw since I'm quite alot like Hermione

Hywel
May 12th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Whooo! Finally, a HP thread. Did anyone see the comma mistake on the GOF teaser poster?

http://img229.echo.cx/img229/963/harry17aq.jpg

Thankfully enough grammar freaks complained, and they corrected it.

http://img229.echo.cx/img229/699/harry24qu.jpg

BruTak
May 12th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Am I the only person who thinks some of the grown ups parts in the movies have been horribly mis-cast?

When I first read GoF, the picture in my head of Rita Skeeter was of American comedian Ruby Wax - not Miranda Richardson.

Mad Eye Moody should be played by Tom Baker (who's mad anyway).

And if I might touch upon an earlier point, if the same three kids are gonna play Harry, Ron and Hewrmione all through the seven movies, then the production team's gonna have to move really fast before they grow up too much.

Purpleyin
May 12th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Am I the only person who thinks some of the grown ups parts in the movies have been horribly mis-cast?

When I first read GoF, the picture in my head of Rita Skeeter was of American comedian Ruby Wax - not Miranda Richardson.

Mad Eye Moody should be played by Tom Baker (who's mad anyway).

And if I might touch upon an earlier point, if the same three kids are gonna play Harry, Ron and Hewrmione all through the seven movies, then the production team's gonna have to move really fast before they grow up too much.
I don't know about miscast, though I agree that I could see Ruby Wax as Rita Skeeter - my mental image was much more like her when reading the books, except it is hard to tell what the finished thing will be like.

I really wasn't expecting Ralph Fiennes either (was thinking Jeremy Irons or Richard O'Brien) but I like to give people a chance and trust the casting people. So far I've not felt dissapointed with their casting in the other films (presuming the same people are responsible)

As for them growing up, there is some leeway. If people in US shows play those 10 years younger all the time then I think they might be okay for Harry Potter films. Besides that they're keeping at it pretty consistently, about 1 a year or so.

gatebee
May 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I agree I trust the production so far. The past movies, the actors have all been great. As for the young teens, I think they will be great cause in the book they age but a yr and they are trying to do a movie every year. If they pull off all the 7 yrs it will be a milestone in movie making.

SlytherinGal
May 12th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I should have known you'd be the one too start this thread P_M. Slytherin is great but I have toadmit i'm probably Ravenclaw (though Snape is great )
Can't believe there wasn't one already, surely there are more HP fans around?

I'm so happy we get the new book, might have to reread the others to prepare. Plus I'm quite happy at the prospect of the new film. PoA was my favourite book and I really liked the film but it didn't translate quite as well as I'm hopnig GoF will - more action. Bring on July 16th, got my book preordered since about February or something like that.

Thanks! :D I just had to start one seeing that I was meeting a bunch of HP and Snape fans on GW. I can't wait until the new book and film come out either. I am actually rereading the 5th book to prepare for the 6th. My favorite book thus far is the 5th book, especially all the Snape parts (like the Occlumency lessons). My favorite film is PoA.

Which class do you guys thing you'll end up in if you went to Hogwarts?
I'd probably be in Ravenclaw since I'm quite alot like Hermione

I would probably be sorted into Slytherin...cuz I am sly and cunning. And my class that I would get the highest marks in would be of course Potions :p

I will have to either put up my fanfic here or send it to you all :D My orignial characters in my story are Elizabeth 'Zion' Crichton, a 4th year Gryffindor and Alexis Snape, 5th year Slytherin, whom also is Snapes daughter. I may throw in a half-brother of Alexis, Silas Snape, 1st year Slytherin.

CKO
May 12th, 2005, 09:44 PM
^yea yea yea... get you butt in gear and write more of it.

MedusA
May 12th, 2005, 09:52 PM

If TV has taught us anything, it's that actors in their mid twenties can play teenagers, I don't think this will be a problem, besides, who's going to complain? I sure as **** wont be!

SlytherinGal
May 13th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Me neither, and as for the adult characters too...I think they picked good ones to play them....but I have to agree I pictured someone else to be playing the part of Rita Skeeter.

Another question for you all:

If you could play any position the quidditch team, what would it be? I would most definately want to be a chaser because I am quick and I can be sure to score goals fast, and avoid the other teams players with fast reflexes. :D;)

Purpleyin
May 13th, 2005, 02:17 AM
If you could play any position the quidditch team, what would it be? I would most definately want to be a chaser because I am quick and I can be sure to score goals fast, and avoid the other teams players with fast reflexes. :D;)
Well I wouldn't like to be anywhere near bludgers so I'd probably prefer being a chaser or a seeker myself.

Seastallion
May 13th, 2005, 02:25 AM
I'm 27, but I've read all of the Harry Potter books and enjoyed them. :) I was basically curious about all the hub-bub, and wanted to know what the big deal was. So I bought all the books and read them. I enjoyed them quite a bit, so I bought the hard back version of the "Order of the Phoenix" when it came out. I plan to buy the next book when it comes out too. It may have started out as a book for kids (and still is) but I can enjoy quality writing when I find it. ;)

:eek:

Hywel
May 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hmm. At the risk of causing this thread to erupt into a mass brawl, I'll ask are you HP shippers? You could check out http://www.cosforums.com (http://www.cosforums.com/) - the opinions there are as polarised as they are over here with Stargate ships!

FoolishPleasure
May 13th, 2005, 12:24 PM
OMG. .I can actually admit I'm a Snape fan without being stoned. :D

SlytherinGal
May 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
FP, yay! another Snape fan...:D....I like the way Alan Rickman plays Snape...no other person could do it better.

As for HP ships, Hywel, I kinda sorta just follow the whole Ron/Hermione thing...which I live...I am not to keen on Draco/Pansy or Harry/Luna or Harry/Ginny yet...but maybe someday I will get there...;)

kirmit
May 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I've just watched the trailer and can sum1 clear sumthing up for me. I haven't read GOF in a long time but I thought the dragon harry faced was black, the one in the trailer is a pale brown.

Seastallion
May 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I've just watched the trailer and can sum1 clear sumthing up for me. I haven't read GOF in a long time but I thought the dragon harry faced was black, the one in the trailer is a pale brown.

hmmm... All I remember for sure was that it could fly, and was supposed to be the most dangerous of the Four Dragons they had there. :)

Hywel
May 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM
As for HP ships, Hywel, I kinda sorta just follow the whole Ron/Hermione thing...which I live...I am not to keen on Draco/Pansy or Harry/Luna or Harry/Ginny yet...but maybe someday I will get there...;) I quite like the idea of Ron/Hermione too. If Hary does end up with someone who's already been introduced, then I'd hope it would be Ginny.

So which cover do you prefer?

UK KIDS' COVER (http://img226.echo.cx/img226/9376/hbpcoverbritkids2wy.jpg)- UK ADULT COVER (http://img226.echo.cx/img226/5434/hbpcoverbritadult5ej.jpg) - US COVER (http://img226.echo.cx/img226/5728/hbpcover4dl.jpg) - US DELUXE COVER (http://img61.echo.cx/img61/5029/hbpcoverdeluxe4pi.jpg)

Personally, I prefer the UK Adult cover. But I'll get the kids' one to match the rest of my collection, even though Harry looks quite weird.

Purpleyin
May 14th, 2005, 02:12 PM
FP, yay! another Snape fan...:D....I like the way Alan Rickman plays Snape...no other person could do it better.

As for HP ships, Hywel, I kinda sorta just follow the whole Ron/Hermione thing...which I live...I am not to keen on Draco/Pansy or Harry/Luna or Harry/Ginny yet...but maybe someday I will get there...;)
Alot of people say liking Snape must be because Alan Rickman playing him makes him seem cooler and sexy (the voice?) but I actually thought Snape in the books was crueler yet cooler...

As for shipping. I never really went for Ron/Hermione, only a few fanfics sold me on that, same for Harry/Ginny. I really liked Harry/Hermione but also Draco/Ginny and Draco/Hermione. Ron/Luna had it's appeal but then I'm always someone who seems to have lots of variety in ships and not really stick to just one...:D Neville/Ginny piqued my interest too.

And kirmit - there's a trailer!? I really haven't been paying enough attention, so glad you mentioned it. :) Off to find it.

Hywel - I'd say I like the UK adult better, and I get the sinking feeling that wasn't the one I ordered, oh dear (off to change my order because the adult one is so much nicer :D)

kirmit
May 15th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Purpleyin- go to apple.com and then to trailers they have on there but i warn u it is only a teaser trailer.

The UK kids cover is the best one.

Purpleyin
May 15th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Purpleyin- go to apple.com and then to trailers they have on there but i warn u it is only a teaser trailer.

The UK kids cover is the best one.
Yes, watched it last night. Obviously wanted to see more but was quite pleased with what there was of the action sequences. Only thing that bugged me was Ron's new hair... :(

CKO
May 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
well i can say this... i really dont ship at all for HP (what im not that obsessed yet)

iLemon
May 16th, 2005, 03:03 AM
well i can say this... i really dont ship at all for HP (what im not that obsessed yet)

i dont ship either, HP just isnt the type of show that i can ship over. Possibly because those guys are just kids and it feels weird to me

Jolinar of Malkshur
May 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM
I'm a Harry Potter fan as well! I'm happy that so many Slytherins are here, because I'm a fan of the past and present Slytherins as well (and a Slytherin in real life as well :D). Apart from them, I like Hermione, Ginny and Harry.

I would like to be a beater. Seeker or keeper would be too much pressure for my liking because they're all on their own, but beater is a position I would like to play.

BruTak
May 16th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Me neither, and as for the adult characters too...I think they picked good ones to play them....but I have to agree I pictured someone else to be playing the part of Rita Skeeter.

Beater for me.
A) Because you get to carry a big club. :D
B) You might get the chance to (ahem) accidentally beat the lving daylights out of the likes of Malfoy. ;)

Going back to my earlier post - I always pictured Richard E. Grant as Voldemort.

Hywel
May 16th, 2005, 09:40 AM
How are you getting your copies of HBP?

I really don't want to pre-order it online, because there's the distinct possibility that it might not arrive on the Saturday it's released, and that would mean it arriving on Monday at the earliest. I don't want to repeat my OotP fiasco, which resulted in me skiving off school on the Monday to read it before anyone could spoil it for me :o.

FoolishPleasure
May 16th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Alot of people say liking Snape must be because Alan Rickman playing him makes him seem cooler and sexy (the voice?) but I actually thought Snape in the books was crueler yet cooler...
Snape has much more to do in the books and seems to get shafted in the movies, unfortunately.

Rowling pretty much made it clear on the Ron/Hermione ship and that is okay with me. Not sure about Harry though. He seemed to have a sort of connection to Luna at the end of OOTP but I don't know if JK will take it into outright ship. Luna is a bit odd, but Harry is a bit of an outsider too.

shovar
May 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM
i find that the books actually have the characters more, what's the word.....with it, you have cruel and evil snape in giving out homework and punishments, but he seems more like a pissed off cat, and you've just annoyed it! :D

kirmit
May 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM

I really don't want to pre-order it online, because there's the distinct possibility that it might not arrive on the Saturday it's released, and that would mean it arriving on Monday at the earliest. I don't want to repeat my OotP fiasco, which resulted in me skiving off school on the Monday to read it before anyone could spoil it for me :o.

I've already pre-ordered my copy at my local bookshop so i'm safe, I'm gonna go in the day of release as early as i can get up and go collect my copy. :)

shovar
May 16th, 2005, 11:45 AM
i'm gonna wait a year and pick it up cheap for a few bob! :D

BruTak
May 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Pre-ordered from my local WH Smiths.

Two copies - one for me, and one for my 11 year old niece as an early birthday present.
Aren't I a nice uncle? :D

Purpleyin
May 17th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Pre-ordered on Amazon UK - might not get there on the day but then I'm happy to save a bit of money. Ordered it months ago as part of an order with free delivery and then because its so long they sent the rest of the order for free first and yet I still get free delivery! Yay. I'm pretty happy to wait a few extra days to save a bit of money, I usually never buy hardcover editions of books because of the cost but I make an exception for Harry Potter books. :)

Jolinar of Malkshur
May 17th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I had gotten a coupon for an online bookstore, so I ordered it there a month or so ago.

But when I ordered something else from that particular bookstore, I learned that they're pretty unreliable, so I'm nervous if I'll get my book at all (I ended up receiving someone else's book with my shipping and they wouldn't have noticed it at all if I hadn't sent it back), let alone on Saturday.

BruTak
May 17th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Pre-ordered on Amazon UK - might not get there on the day but then I'm happy to save a bit of money. Ordered it months ago as part of an order with free delivery and then because its so long they sent the rest of the order for free first and yet I still get free delivery! Yay. I'm pretty happy to wait a few extra days to save a bit of money, I usually never buy hardcover editions of books because of the cost but I make an exception for Harry Potter books. :)
Amazon! (spits over shoulder and mutters naughty words) :mad:

I used to work for them at their distribution centre in Gourock. I got paid off when my contract ended in late January, and was assured I'd be called back "When things picked up." - for the record, I'm still waiting...

SlytherinGal
May 18th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I will probably just wait until July 16 since around here there seems to be A LOT of copies on the shelves, even in the afternoon hours...so I have a good chance in getting it on that day :D

wizengamot
May 18th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I'm going at midnight! w00t! So much fun! I did it for the 5th one too. Lots of cool free stuff

SlytherinGal
May 18th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeee!

gatebee
May 18th, 2005, 06:49 PM
getting mine at midnight to at our local Borders Book store

Purpleyin
May 19th, 2005, 05:20 AM
So does anyone have any thoughts on what Book 6 is about? Or do you prefer not to speculate and just read them?

BruTak
May 19th, 2005, 07:08 AM
I'm going at midnight! w00t! So much fun! I did it for the 5th one too. Lots of cool free stuff
Bah, young people! I dunno where you get your energy from...

I'll no doubt drag my carcass out of bed at a more sensible hour - 1030hrs for example - and toddle on over when all the fuss has died down.

Hywel
May 19th, 2005, 07:18 AM
So does anyone have any thoughts on what Book 6 is about? Or do you prefer not to speculate and just read them?
I like the speculation - have you read any editorials at http://www.mugglenet.com (http://www.mugglenet.com/)? They're really interesting.

As for me, I'm thinking there's going to be at least one death in HBP. I don't want to say who, but I'll say that one the theories I find most interesting is that one of the twins will die. I'm worried about Dumbledore too - he obviously plays an integral part in the next book, judging by the covers. But do you think it'll be his last book?

I really don't want another showdown with Voldemort in this book. I wouldn't mind a duel with some Death Eaters, but I'd like it to be POA-esque in that it reveals more about the past rather than only furthering Harry's story.

BruTak
May 19th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I like the speculation - have you read any editorials at http://www.mugglenet.com (http://www.mugglenet.com/)? They're really interesting.

As for me, I'm thinking there's going to be at least one death in HBP. I don't want to say who, but I'll say that one the theories I find most interesting is that one of the twins will die. I'm worried about Dumbledore too - he obviously plays an integral part in the next book, judging by the covers. But do you think it'll be his last book?

I really don't want another showdown with Voldemort in this book. I wouldn't mind a duel with some Death Eaters, but I'd like it to be POA-esque in that it reveals more about the past rather than only furthering Harry's story.
That reminds me - does anyone know where to find a Harry Potter timeline/chronology?

Hywel
May 19th, 2005, 07:28 AM
That reminds me - does anyone know where to find a Harry Potter timeline/chronology?

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timelines/main/timeline_intro.html

It's not laid out like a timeline, but it's pretty comprehensive.

BruTak
May 19th, 2005, 07:43 AM
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timelines/main/timeline_intro.html

It's not laid out like a timeline, but it's pretty comprehensive.
Thanks. :)

Now then, children a question - which is stronger? Magic, or technology?

wizengamot
May 19th, 2005, 03:18 PM

I'll no doubt drag my carcass out of bed at a more sensible hour - 1030hrs for example - and toddle on over when all the fuss has died down.

hahaha! Don't worry, I'll come wheel you in to the store in your wheelchair *runs* :D :D I jest! I jest!!!

The 5th book I read until 6am when I was forced into sleeping, woke up 5 hours later and finished the rest.

I am forever trying to figure out who the half-blood prince is, but I assume it will be someone who we have not met

SlytherinGal
May 21st, 2005, 05:40 PM
argh! must bump this thread to page 1 :D

another random question:

what job would you like to have in the HP world?

Egeria
May 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM

You're my kind of person Brutak. :)

BritAngie
May 22nd, 2005, 03:11 AM
Mine's coming from Amazon too- can't wait to read it! Was going to order through play but went with amazon in the end.

Purpleyin
May 22nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
another random question:

Well I wouldn't want to teach but some job involving charms sounds good. :)

Jolinar of Malkshur
May 22nd, 2005, 07:26 AM

I would like to be a Potions Mistress or maybe work as an Unspeakable.

weirfan517
May 22nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Awsome a HP thread! I was looking through offworld threads yesterday and I guess I missed this one. But anyway I'm a huge fan and have been for quite somtime now and I've read all the books. My fave is POA. I cant wait for HBP to come out. I've heard that the 'half blood prince' is not Voldermort, Harry, or Neville. Thats basically all I know about it. Oh its really cool to know there are other HP fans here. :)

xxx

Hywel
May 24th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Well, it appears the name of the character who dies has been leaked.

Recently, thousands of £50 bets have been placed on a certain character (who we won't name) dying in HBP. The bets have been placed by residents of Bungay, Suffolk, where the sixth book is being printed. Warren Lush of Ladbrokes said: "We weren't foolish enough to take the bets. There are obviously people out there who have read the manuscripts." Another chain of bookstores said it was "obvious" that a manuscript of HBP had been leaked and read. I hope this doesn't become a massive news story, or the name might reach my ears. And I want to remain spoiler-free!

Purpleyin
May 24th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Well, it appears the name of the character who dies has been leaked.

I hope this doesn't become a massive news story, or the name might reach my ears. And I want to remain spoiler-free!
Me too. I really don't want to know. Last year I got vaguely spoiled, when someone accidentally said the pronoun related to the character who died. Not quite so bad but still... I prefer not to get spoilers on the books and Bungay I actually reasonably close. I remember all the kafuffle last time with the books found in a field. :S

kirmit
May 24th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Well it's front page of the sun newspaper today so just don't look at it.

Purpleyin
May 24th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Never read the Sun anyway, and thankfully they don't wrap chips in newspaper anymore so my chances of hearing only stem from random people exclaiming it in the street.

hidden_envy
May 25th, 2005, 07:36 AM
aha, a harry potter thread,lol i only noticed it now :rolleyes:
ah,me and my friends are so obsessed with harry potter its actually quite scary, one of my friends (this is no joke) bought a DOUBLE DECKER ROUTEMASTER BUS last year and she is gonig to paint it purple, ah the madness of it all...plus we all have the maurders as nicknames (i'm james potter, prongs ;) ) and we go maudering...but i wont go into that one... :D

Angelique
May 25th, 2005, 07:45 AM
bought a DOUBLE DECKER ROUTEMASTER BUS last year and she is gonig to paint it purple
Someone's seen/read PoA too much. :P (Was it the only one the bus was in? :S )

Purpleyin
May 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM
So how about discussion of the films?

I've quite enjoyed them all, though PoA I liked it really doesn't compare to the book as my favourite. I think the favourite film for me is CoS, though I hated the bits they missed out/changed in the beginning, my mum was quite confused when we saw it as she's never read the books.

I'm really looking forward to the 4th film, think it might be my faovurite so far possibly, the trailer does look good. Only thing is I like to know who's who and there aren't any pictures for some of the new actors, not on IMDB anyway.

hidden_envy
May 25th, 2005, 11:54 AM
i prefer the first two films, but i know i'm not really gonig to like the fourth film because they are going to have to cut so much out from the book :(

Purpleyin
May 25th, 2005, 12:25 PM
i prefer the first two films, but i know i'm not really gonig to like the fourth film because they are going to have to cut so much out from the book :(
Well people keep saying that but really I think out of all the books the fourth should translate best, with quite a bit of action. I know they said they were cutting out the house elves subplot but that isn't the most important thing and they did check with Rowling on what they cut.

I have high hopes for this film, just because it's longer in word count doesn't mean it'll be a longer film, I'm thinking alot of it is in the description of the action etc and things that you only see briefly on screen but take up quite a bit of a page or whatever.

BritAngie
May 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Eeeeee been spoiled! :S Mind you it is all rumour at this point. Not sure what to make of it! I'm still looking forward to the book though whichever way it turns out. :D

CatGoddess
May 25th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Ooh, a Harry Potter thread! How did I miss this? :rolleyes:

I've got my copy of the next book pre-ordered on Amazon.com. The last book arrived on the release date, despite the fact that I used free shipping and Amazon said they would not guarantee delivery on the release date unless you paid for standard shipping. I got the mail that day, and I had half a mind to lie to my husband and say it hadn't come yet so I could finish it in peace. :p

BruTak
May 26th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Alrighty then, since none of you lot seem interested...

Magic Vs. Technology - who'd win?

IMO - technology. Why? Well, all the magic in the world isn't going to do you much good against someone sitting on a hill half a mile away with a sniper rifle. :eek:
Or to paraphrase Agent Smith in The Matrix, "What good is casting a spell if you are unable to speak?"

(Sets proverbial cats among proverbial pigeons, sits back and waits for backlash... :D )

Purpleyin
May 27th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Alrighty then, since none of you lot seem interested...

Magic Vs. Technology - who'd win?

IMO - technology. Why? Well, all the magic in the world isn't going to do you much good against someone sitting on a hill half a mile away with a sniper rifle. :eek:
Or to paraphrase Agent Smith in The Matrix, "What good is casting a spell if you are unable to speak?"

(Sets proverbial cats among proverbial pigeons, sits back and waits for backlash... :D )
In some sense I can agree but then either magic or technology is all about the way you use it. Not all magic is in the form of spells, there is innate magical skills like Tonks has and certain things done without wands as well as magical items you can carry. I'd say sure magics mostly useless if you're gagged but if your clever you'll have used it to stop such a thing from being able to occur and have defensive spells/wards or whatever.

Both are useful, but I'm sticking to its the way that you use them that decides which 'wins' out.

SlytherinGal
May 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Must bump this thread from page 3 to page 1...hmmm...what to say, what to say...oh I know...another question...;)

Who is your most favorite character and your least favorite character?

Me...I like both Snape and Lucius the most...oh yeah and Draco. My least favorite character...well...uh...do I really have one...oh yeah, I don't really care for Professor Umbridge in Book 5 and in the movies I don't like the Dursleys.

Purpleyin
May 29th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Must bump this thread from page 3 to page 1...hmmm...what to say, what to say...oh I know...another question...;)

Who is your most favorite character and your least favorite character?

Me...I like both Snape and Lucius the most...oh yeah and Draco. My least favorite character...well...uh...do I really have one...oh yeah, I don't really care for Professor Umbridge in Book 5 and in the movies I don't like the Dursleys.

Hmm.
Least favourite: Aunt Marge. As bad as what happened t her in PoA was I was very happy. :D
Favourite: Snape and Draco come close, as do Luna and Tonks from the last book but it has to be Hermione overall.

Another question, what's you favourite scene/event in either the books or films and why?

iLemon
May 31st, 2005, 03:54 AM
Book 5 spoilers-
I was just wondering how Professor Umbridge was inspecting the classes. Was she inspecting just one year of the school, or all of them? And also, did she inspect every single different class a teacher had? Am I the only person who's noticed this?

iLemon
May 31st, 2005, 04:05 AM
Hmm.
Least favourite: Aunt Marge. As bad as what happened t her in PoA was I was very happy. :D
Favourite: Snape and Draco come close, as do Luna and Tonks from the last book but it has to be Hermione overall.

Another question, what's you favourite scene/event in either the books or films and why?

Spoilers for those who havent read the books-

I like Hermione too, although I dont think she's my favourite character. I dont really have one yet.
Least favourite would have to be- Hagrid, Aunt Marge, Umbridge, and the minister of magic (cant remember his name right now).

Favourite event would have to be the Triwizard tournament, especially task 1 cause of the dragon. Cant wait to see it in the movie, its going to be great!
I also like the bit where Voldermort fights Harry, and Harry wins. Cant imagine how mad Voldermort must be, and also some of the Deatheaters might lose faith in him.

BruTak
May 31st, 2005, 07:45 AM
Favourite Character: Ron. I know he's a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, but - not everyone can be a genius.

Least Favourite: Draco Malfoy. If I'd been at school with him, I'd have taken him round the back of the broomstick sheds and given him a damn good kicking for being an obnoxious wee twerp a long time ago...

SlytherinGal
May 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM
Hmmm...a favorite even that happens in either the movies or books...well that is a lot right there...and for those who haven't seen the movies or read the books...i will put it in spoilers form..:D

My favorite events include the Triwizard Tournament in Book 4, the part in Book 4 where Harry fights Voldemort leading to Voldemorts coming back....I also like the Quidditch World cup and the Dark Mark stuff in the book as well.

A few more favorite events of mine include the part in Book 5 (which I am currently reading again) where Snape is teaching Harry the Occulmency lessons and the part where Harry slips into Snapes Pensieve and we see invisions of Snape in his younger years.

Some events that I liked from Books 1, 2 and 3 was the part in book 2 where Harry fights the Basilisk. I liked the 'real' wizards chess part in book 1. And in book 3, I liked the time-travel part as well as all the events in the Shrieking Shack and were Sirus fights with Lupin as a werewolf.

I of course, will always love the Quidditch matches.:D:D

SlytherinGal
June 1st, 2005, 10:49 AM
I must bump this thread to the first page again...come on peeps...I know there are you HP fans out there...somewhere...I hope :S

Nessva
June 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM
Yes, I am here!!

FoolishPleasure
June 1st, 2005, 01:02 PM
I'm around. . every so often I try to track down spoilers for HBP, but no such luck. Talk about tight lips!!

SlytherinGal
June 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
LOL! That is okay...we all have our Thunk threads to go to :D:D! I cannot wait for HBP and the next movie any longer, I want them now!

Nessva
June 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
I'm staying spoiler-free from HBP - I've even given up using the first forum I ever used on the net - because I know it I use it I'll find out things before I read it, and I don't want to. I read minor spoilers for the last book before it came out, and that really did ruin small parts of it for me.

FoolishPleasure
June 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
I haven't been following production on the Goblet of Fire film. I know a lot has been cut from the book because the studio doesn't want a long film. :rolleyes:

FoolishPleasure
June 1st, 2005, 01:17 PM
...we all have our Thunk threads to go to :D:D!
Strange. . I love the Flanigan thunk thread. . .but I also have a "thing" for Snape.

I know. .I really, really need help. But I think everyone knew that already. :p

SlytherinGal
June 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hmmmmm..me too FP...I wonder how many other peeps have a 'thing' for Snape...perhaps we should make a Snape thunk thread in OT... :rolleyes:

Nessva
June 2nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Oh you'd be surprised at how many people have a thing for Snape. And Draco. And Lucius.

SlytherinGal
June 2nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
:eek: Hmmmm...maybe I should go along with my plan then...what do you guys think??

Nessva
June 2nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Yeah, why not! Although if it doesn't take off here, I can recommend a great place full of nutbags where you can post. It's a bit strict with rules though.

FoolishPleasure
June 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Oh you'd be surprised at how many people have a thing for Snape. And Draco. And Lucius.
Draco is too young for me, but Lucius is mighty fine. ;)

Never could get into Sirius Black. Just never was interesting to me - though Rowling has said he was supposed to be very good looking.

greytop
June 2nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
I am a HP fan. I have read all the books to date (waiting for the next one to come out), have see all the movies to date.

SlytherinGal
June 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Cool, welcome to the thread greytop...feel free to discuss anything HP related...and if you feel you want to put spoilers here...feel welcome...also, feel free to state your opinions here as well, just don't hurt anyones feelings but I think we are all tough here...:D

kirmit
June 7th, 2005, 03:24 AM
so it looks as if the new book is goin to out sell all the others according to todays papers

Nessva
June 7th, 2005, 03:48 AM
I'm not surprised at hearing that. I just can't wait til July 16th, I'll be going for a run to the nearest bookstore to my house (only about 5mins if I walk) - I don't care if they're more expensive, the next nearest is another few mins walk, time I can't waste! I can't remember, is this book bigger than Order of the Phoenix? I managed to read that in one day (just).

iLemon
June 7th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I'm not surprised at hearing that. I just can't wait til July 16th, I'll be going for a run to the nearest bookstore to my house (only about 5mins if I walk) - I don't care if they're more expensive, the next nearest is another few mins walk, time I can't waste! I can't remember, is this book bigger than Order of the Phoenix? I managed to read that in one day (just).

Unfortunately it isn't :S I think it was as long as GoF, I cant remember

kirmit
June 7th, 2005, 04:09 AM
I mite get a bit of backlash for this but i think that Order of the Pheonix was a tad too long, it seemed alot of the stories dragged on a bit.

FoolishPleasure
June 7th, 2005, 06:01 AM
I mite get a bit of backlash for this but i think that Order of the Pheonix was a tad too long, it seemed alot of the stories dragged on a bit.
I thought it was stretched a bit as well - but I recently re-read OoTP to remind myself what was going on and found I actually enjoyed it better - picked up a few things I think I missed first time around.

iLemon
June 7th, 2005, 06:15 AM
I thought it was stretched a bit as well - but I recently re-read OoTP to remind myself what was going on and found I actually enjoyed it better - picked up a few things I think I missed first time around.

I've read each book several times! I cant seem to read anything else these days. Everything else seems so boring in comparison, and I'm getting sick of re-reading HP too. I cant wait for the 6th one though!

BTW, anyone seen the trailer for GoF? It looks great!

FoolishPleasure
June 7th, 2005, 06:41 AM
BTW, anyone seen the trailer for GoF? It looks great!
Haven't seen the GOF trailer. :(

Gotta say I am worried about that film - I thought too much was left out in PoA and that was a much shorter book, and I fear what they are going to leave out this time. Originally there was talk of actually making two films out of GoF but that's didn't sit well with TPTB. The fans want to see a good film while TPTB want to make a lot of money. The two don't always mesh, unfortunately.

BruTak
June 7th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Did any of you folk see the news report about the fella who got nicked by the cops cos he tried to sell a stolen copy of HBP to the press?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't there a similar story of a couple of copies of OotP being left in a field somewhere, and being found by your traditional "man-walking-his-dog"?

iLemon
June 7th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Haven't seen the GOF trailer. :(

Gotta say I am worried about that film - I thought too much was left out in PoA and that was a much shorter book, and I fear what they are going to leave out this time. Originally there was talk of actually making two films out of GoF but that's didn't sit well with TPTB. The fans want to see a good film while TPTB want to make a lot of money. The two don't always mesh, unfortunately.

I'm getting annoyed with them missing out stuff too, and now with the next few movies where the books are bigger, I just hope they dont miss out too much.
Heres the trailer though- http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harry_potter/thegobletoffire/

FoolishPleasure
June 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Heres the trailer though- http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/harry_potter/thegobletoffire/
Wow. . trailer looks great - especially the dragon!

kirmit
June 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM
I'm a bit dissapointed that mrs. Weasley wont be in this film, julie walters played her soo well. The have to use her in order of the pheonix tho she's a main character in that book.

FoolishPleasure
June 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I'm a bit dissapointed that mrs. Weasley wont be in this film, julie walters played her soo well. The have to use her in order of the pheonix tho she's a main character in that book.
I love Mrs. Weasley. . and you are right. .she HAS to be in OoTP!

I hear the Dursley's are NOT in GoF either. :(

kirmit
June 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
yer I heard that, but they also play a key role in Ootp so they also have to be in the movie.

StarDreamer
June 7th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Wait- what's with all these characters not being in the movie!!?? arrgh.. ok well as a filmmaker I understand, but its always disappointing when they're taken out completely! yea, well hopefully they should be in OotP :rolleyes:

anyway, the trailer looks awesome and I know the movie is gonna kick :D so I'm still super excited

but yea, to share a sentiment, leaving out some of the stuff in PoA was frustrating, but acceptable... i suppose... It's still one of my fave movies ever... the only thing that really bothered me was that they didn't put much attention on the patronus/stag and who made the Mauraders Map and who they were and all that stuff... but yea, if they cut too much out for GoF it's gonna be kinda sad..

iLemon
June 8th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Anybody know whether the Harry-Ron breakup will be included in GoF?

Purpleyin
June 8th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Anybody know whether the Harry-Ron breakup will be included in GoF?
If it isn't then... it's an emotional part of the plot so would be weird to cut out, though since it went on for months it won't take up too much screentime, but they'd have to mention it at least wouldn't they?I can't remember how it related to the rest of the book exactly since I've not read that one recently.

FoolishPleasure
June 8th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Wait- what's with all these characters not being in the movie!!??
The studio has already informed the director that the film can't be over 2 hrs. 30 min. . . .or was that 20 min.? I forgot. So before filming, he and the scriptwriter . . (and hopefully Ms. Rowling) sat down and figured out what to cut and what to film.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the director originally wanted to cut one of the three tasks but Rowling squelched that right off.

iLemon
June 8th, 2005, 06:15 AM
If it isn't then... it's an emotional part of the plot so would be weird to cut out, though since it went on for months it won't take up too much screentime, but they'd have to mention it at least wouldn't they?I can't remember how it related to the rest of the book exactly since I've not read that one recently.

From what I can remember, Ron wouldnt talk to Harry because he was always getting all the attention. And he wore his invisibilty cloak to Hogsmeade to avoid Ron and everyone else, apart from that it didnt really contribute to the plot very much.
Thats why I'm worried, in the last movie they left out his break-up with Hermioni, so there's no reason why they wont do it again.

The studio has already informed the director that the film can't be over 2 hrs. 30 min. . . .or was that 20 min.? I forgot. So before filming, he and the scriptwriter . . (and hopefully Ms. Rowling) sat down and figured out what to cut and what to film.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the director originally wanted to cut one of the three tasks but Rowling squelched that right off.

Cut one of the tasks?!!! :eek: What were they thinking?!!

Purpleyin
June 8th, 2005, 06:29 AM
From what I can remember, Ron wouldnt talk to Harry because he was always getting all the attention. And he wore his invisibilty cloak to Hogsmeade to avoid Ron and everyone else, apart from that it didnt really contribute to the plot very much.
Thats why I'm worried, in the last movie they left out his break-up with Hermioni, so there's no reason why they wont do it again.

Ah... I remember it and the why but wasn't sure how much it contributed. Maybe it isn't plot so much but I hope they put someone it in or the stuff later won't have so much impact.

And I have to feel sheepish, PoA arguement with Hermione (not about divination was it, because I was anoyed they left the prediction out... her storming out made less sense)? I've forgotten that completely, didn't notice it missing from the film... must reread books before next film.

SlytherinGal
June 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Whoa!! That trailer was SO cool....I can't wait until the movie now...of course I can't wait until book 6 either. Anyone know how much of a role the teachers will play in the movie...I hope the definately show Snape in a few scenes...:D

kirmit
June 9th, 2005, 05:34 AM
just over a month til the new book now!!!!!!!

iLemon
June 9th, 2005, 07:19 AM
And I have to feel sheepish, PoA arguement with Hermione (not about divination was it, because I was anoyed they left the prediction out... her storming out made less sense)? I've forgotten that completely, didn't notice it missing from the film... must reread books before next film.

The arguement was about Hermioni's cat eating scabber's. And then later on because Hermioni told McGonnagal about Harry's Firebolt. They argued quite a few times in that book.
I should really start reading something other than Harry Potter :D

iLemon
June 9th, 2005, 07:20 AM
just over a month til the new book now!!!!!!!

Its coming out 2 days after my birthday!!! :D:D:D I cant wait!

BruTak
June 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Going back to my "Magic Vs. Technology" idea, and given that Hogwarts is Unpolattable and so forth, does this also include satellites?

iLemon
June 9th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Going back to my "Magic Vs. Technology" idea, and given that Hogwarts is Unpolattable and so forth, does this also include satellites?

I dont understand how something can be unplottable :S It has to be somewhere!
A satalite should be able to find it, but it depends on what unplotable means.

SlytherinGal
June 9th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Actually, Hogwarts and the rest of the Wizarding community is unplottable to Muggles...which basically means that if Muggles try to locate or approach it they will not be able to see it or it will look like something else. It is just like in book 4 when it talks about the Quidditch World Cup stadium being unplottable by Muggles and if Muggles approach it, they will suddenly remember something that had forgot to do and turn around and forget about the stadium.

Okay, I think it is time for another question.

What kind of wizarding job would you like to have and why?

Adina
June 10th, 2005, 06:19 PM
First let me say I'm sorry if this is in the wrong catagory.
Does any one know when the next potter movie's supposed to come out in the U.S?

omnian
June 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Apparently November 18th is when Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire comes out. Can't wait! :D

CKO
June 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM
cant wait either... oh nov 18th... thats my mom's b-day too ;)

thor_
June 11th, 2005, 12:44 AM
I really cant wait :D but book is better than movie ;)

Baun
June 11th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Worst book ever, worst movies ever..

sorry, im not looking forward to it ;(

thor_
June 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM
***Grrrrrrrrrrr*** :mad:

kirmit
June 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Hey Harry Potter is excellent, a great read

thor_
June 11th, 2005, 07:03 AM
tt, its great :)

but Dumbledore will probably die in the 6th book :(

kirmit
June 11th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I really hope he doesn't, he's the only one voldemort is scared of :(

thor_
June 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM
i think, now he is scared of harry too ;)

kirmit
June 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM
good point

Hywel
June 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM
What kind of wizarding job would you like to have and why?A professor at Hogwarts! Not only do you get three huge meals a day, but you'd be in the same building as Dumbledore - the safest place to be! :p

Have you all seen the full UK HBP cover? Here it is!

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/154/fullukhbpcover9hp.th.jpg (http://img30.echo.cx/my.php?image=fullukhbpcover9hp.jpg)

SlytherinGal
June 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM
So right you are...I think I would want to be either the next Potions Professor, an auror or work in the Department of Mysteries.

That cover looks soooooo sweet! I have seen it on many of the Harry Potter sites that I love going to.

http://www.mugglenet.com

Spacemonkey_Jackson
June 11th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I can't wait to see the movie. But, of course, the book will be way better. I learned a while ago to set the books and movies into seperate piles. You will enjoy the movie better. Instead picking out all of the stuff they cut out.

BritAngie
June 12th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Can't wait either! What with that and the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe aswell going to be a fab Yuletide!

iLemon
June 12th, 2005, 07:11 AM
What kind of wizarding job would you like to have and why?

Experimenting with Magic! :D It sounds great!

Supreme Thor
June 12th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Can't wait either! What with that and the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe aswell going to be a fab Yuletide!
Chronicles of Narnia looks soooo cool! :D

I'm not sure if Dumbledore's gonna die in book six, though it does seem pretty probable. I believe this because Dumbledore is Rowling's theme tool. At the end of every single book, who is the one that presents the moral of the story? Dumbledore. Yes, Dumbledore is Harry's guide and has to die some time, but if he does, I think it's going to be at the end of Book 7.

SlytherinGal
June 12th, 2005, 09:46 AM
The would be a cool job...kind of like a Magical scientist :p

Hywel
June 13th, 2005, 12:57 AM
I've decided to tempt fate and pre-order my copy from Amazon. :S

gatehorse
June 13th, 2005, 01:02 AM
I've decided to tempt fate and pre-order my copy from Amazon. :S
I ordered mine months ago. :p Can't wait. :D

SlytherinGal
June 14th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I am just waiting until July for my copy...there is usually still a lot when it first comes out.

gatehorse
June 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I am just waiting until July for my copy...there is usually still a lot when it first comes out.
I don't know where you live, but in my area, bookstores ran out that first weekened the last one came out. Besides, it's just easier to order it and recieve it in the mail, because you don't have to go to the bookstore and fight the crowds while they do still have it.

greytop
June 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I just usually wait a couple of days before I go to the store before I get mine.

StarDreamer
June 14th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Pre-ordered my copy... hoping to go get it at midnight (I've never done that before).. hehe.. I think it'll be fun..

gatehorse
June 14th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I know it's $18 if you preorder it...when you buy it in the store after it first comes out, do yu have to pay the retail price, or is it still on sale? Wouldn't matter for me, I'd still preorder, but I 'm just wondering.

I saw people asking last time a couple of days after it came out, and Borders was already out and wouldn't have any more till the next weekend. They went fast. But then again we have the crazy Eagles fans here...it probably rubs off on the HP fans.

John_Sheppard
June 14th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I dunno how good the next movies going to be. Watson's looking very nice, but meh!

I just want the next book though, I'm sick of wondering whats going to happen. All I can say is Snape better not die. (Almost forgot how to spell die for a second there). Hmm!

StarDreamer
June 14th, 2005, 10:29 PM
At Borders they're usually still on sale for a bit when the book's still new... hmm.. I would suggest calling and asking.. just depends how badly and how quickly u want the book i guess!
I'm reading OotP for the first time right now! Actually, I think that's where I'm headed.. into snuggly bed with my Harry Potter book...

I'm excited for the next movie! I can't wait! Even though I'm sure a bunch of stuff will be left out I still think the movie will just be awesome... I love the teaser trailer. anyhoo, I'm excited for the next book too... for now I'll go settle in with OotP..

gatehorse
June 14th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I can't wait for the movie either! My friends and I went to see the last one the day it opened, right after school. One person had gone to a particular theatre on opening day for the second movie, and was laughed at when she asked if tickets were sold out. (As in you must be joking, this theater is never full!) So we went there for the third movie and didn't have to buy advance tickets. It wasn't even that crowded.

John_Sheppard
June 15th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Lol. That sounds like where I live. On the day of the 5th Harry Potter book release my sister made me go early with her (I would have rather slept in and gotten it later). There was probably 50 people lined up ... biggest line up ever I tell you that. Two little kids were dressed as Harry Potters and it was like the biggest highlight. Everyone was taking pictures and what not!

iLemon
June 15th, 2005, 03:20 AM
I was just thinking, in the 6th book wont some of the Death Eaters lose faith in Voldermort? He did just lose to Harry... again. And this time the fight was fair, and Harry still won! Voldermort cant keep on making excuses for every time he loses. I'm suprised his Death Eaters are still faithful to him!

Purpleyin
June 15th, 2005, 03:48 AM
I was just thinking, in the 6th book wont some of the Death Eaters lose faith in Voldermort? He did just lose to Harry... again. And this time the fight was fair, and Harry still won! Voldermort cant keep on making excuses for every time he loses. I'm suprised his Death Eaters are still faithful to him!
Well losing to Harry or not, Voldemort isn't someone you want to get on the bad side and he seems to take loyalty seriously - so it's being faithful and keeping up a good show of it or pretty much risking a painful death (if they're lucky on that one)

gatehorse
June 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Lol. That sounds like where I live. On the day of the 5th Harry Potter book release my sister made me go early with her (I would have rather slept in and gotten it later). There was probably 50 people lined up ... biggest line up ever I tell you that. Two little kids were dressed as Harry Potters and it was like the biggest highlight. Everyone was taking pictures and what not!
I stayed FAAAAAAR away from the bookstores that day! But I watched the news, and I can tell you, there were more than a few little kids dressed up and waiting in line till midnight so they could get their copies right away.

I NEED my sleep, that's why getting it online is so great...although I feel sorry for the mailman, he must have had a heavy load that day!

BruTak
June 16th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Okay kids, we're at T-Minus one month and counting.

How about a little speculation about the identity of the Half Blood Prince? After fairly rattling through books 1-4, I have a suspicion - but I'm not going to tell you, yet. (chuckles nastily)
Who do you guys think is the Half Blood Prince?

Next: Prof. Quirrell was never given a first name, but I bet it begins with an "S". S. Quirrell - squirrel geddit? :D
Next: Is it just me, or would "The Unforgivable Curses" be a great name for a band? :D
Next: Am I the only person who's profoundly annoyed by not having the same cover artist from book to book?

Purpleyin
June 16th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Okay kids, we're at T-Minus one month and counting.

How about a little speculation about the identity of the Half Blood Prince? After fairly rattling through books 1-4, I have a suspicion - but I'm not going to tell you, yet. (chuckles nastily)
Who do you guys think is the Half Blood Prince?
Well having not given any thought to it or having had any chance to reread the other five books then I don't have any intelligent guesses. We've already been told it isn't Harry or Voldemort right?

I'm thinking most character we know aren't half bloods or have been eliminated by gender. I'd be tempted to guess Dumbledore but I'm not sure what the chances are he could be a halfblood without it ever getting mentioned. Problem is what makes a halfblood? It's fairly obvious if you have one magical and one non-magical parents then you're going to be a halfblood but what if you have 2 muggleborn parents what does that make someone? And could you be considered a halfblood by having a muggle or muggleborn grandparent or two?

As a rather random guess I'm wondering if it could be
Snape. And yes he was a deatheater and a slytherin but as we know Voldemort is halfblood and also got into slytherin. I'm not sure if being a halfblood would be enough to stop you being a deatheater. Presumably loyalty, skill and hatred for the 'inpurity' would be enough to get you in to that. My main problem in guessing is what if the halfblood prince - halfblood whatever the classification is and obviously male - but does prince show youth or just lack of marriage? Crazy question but is there a half-blood king (or queen or princess for example!) Really Snape is a just a vague guess, otherwise I'm not sure who we know already who could be them. I'm not sure if we've even been introduced to the character yet.

Next: Prof. Quirrell was never given a first name, but I bet it begins with an "S". S. Quirrell - squirrel geddit? :D
Next: Is it just me, or would "The Unforgivable Curses" be a great name for a band? :D
Next: Am I the only person who's profoundly annoyed by not having the same cover artist from book to book?
Well it wouldn't surprise me if it was S, maybe someone needs to ask...
And yes it would make a great bandname.
As for the artists, not noticed the difference, I pay little attention to the covers and only actually own 3 out of the 5 so far.

iLemon
June 16th, 2005, 10:03 AM
The half-blood prince could be the new DADA teacher.
But just what exactly is a half-blood prince?

SlytherinGal
June 16th, 2005, 11:20 AM
:S you got me there MG...but I think a half blood prince is someone who is a half-blood and...oh I dunno

iLemon
June 20th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Got another question :D (I'm just full of them :P)

I've just reread the 1st book, and I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but Quirrel called Voldermort by his name! Did JK do that intentionally? Or was it an accident?
And also this whole deal with alchemy. The stone can turn everything into gold, but isnt that really easy? Especially considering that you can turn tables into pigs and yourselves into animals, which would a lot more complex than turning things into gold.

Purpleyin
June 20th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Got another question :D (I'm just full of them :P)

I've just reread the 1st book, and I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but Quirrel called Voldermort by his name! Did JK do that intentionally? Or was it an accident?
And also this whole deal with alchemy. The stone can turn everything into gold, but isnt that really easy? Especially considering that you can turn tables into pigs and yourselves into animals, which would a lot more complex than turning things into gold.
Well maybe it's got to do with gold having magical properties? Like pigs into tables is hard, yourself into an animal alot harder, but one non-magical thing into a magical element would understandably need alot of power. That said I'm just speculating because there is no evidence gold is thought magical. But I bet gringotts would have something to say about people making gold coins... Though maybe there's a decent reason why making lead to gold permanently is difficult.

iLemon
June 20th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Well maybe it's got to do with gold having magical properties? Like pigs into tables is hard, yourself into an animal alot harder, but one non-magical thing into a magical element would understandably need alot of power. That said I'm just speculating because there is no evidence gold is thought magical. But I bet gringotts would have something to say about people making gold coins... Though maybe there's a decent reason why making lead to gold permanently is difficult.

I think I've got it. Magic isnt very permanent. A lot of the spells seem to die out after a bit. So maybe transformations arent permanent either. Although we havent seen much proof that transformations arent permanent, so its only a theory.

BruTak
June 20th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Having now reread all five books back to back (took me about six and a half days), I wonder if anyone else has noticed that in each book something seemingly unimportant happens, but becomes vital in the next book?

Example: In Philosopher's Stone, Harry speaks to the boa constrictor at the zoo. Then in Chamber of Secrets, we discover that he can speak parseltongue.

I've also noticed that JKR puts really subtle stuff into the books for the grown-ups to laugh at - the reference to Dumbledore's brother performing "Unnatural charms upon a goat" for instance. :eek:

Then we come to Ron and hi family - I'm beginning to wonder if Weasley isn't a deliberate misspelling of Wellesley. As in Sir Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington?

And finally (until I think of more weird stuff) when Order of the Phoenix is filmed, and they come to the scene where Harry and Mr. Weasley are in the Ministry of Magic's Auror's department, I kind of got this image in my head that it'll look like an NYPD detective's squad room, and that the Auror's should have their wands in shoulder holsters. :D

iLemon
June 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Having now reread all five books back to back (took me about six and a half days), I wonder if anyone else has noticed that in each book something seemingly unimportant happens, but becomes vital in the next book?

Example: In Philosopher's Stone, Harry speaks to the boa constrictor at the zoo. Then in Chamber of Secrets, we discover that he can speak parseltongue.

JK has hinted theres some stuff in the 5th book which will have an important part to play in the next one. I've reread that book, but theres just so much stuff that could also be used in the next book that I'm not sure which part she's hinting at.
I know for sure that the mirror which was given to Harry by Sirius will be in the next book. And there should an explanation about the dais, but I'm not completely sure about that.

Then we come to Ron and hi family - I'm beginning to wonder if Weasley isn't a deliberate misspelling of Wellesley. As in Sir Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington?

I thought his name had more to do with weasles.

Purpleyin
June 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I thought his name had more to do with weasles.
I quite enjoyed that mugglenet (I think it was, Brutak gave the link for the site a few pages back) editorial about the possible significance of the chess game in the first book.

but on the weasel connection.

Aesop's Fables: The Bat and the Weasels : Will Snape (often refered to a batlike) somehow end up having a major plotline with the Weasleys? I never read the fable though, might be good to incase it could have any significance. I just thought this was interesting - people equate Snape-bat to he must be a vampire somehow but it'd be amusing if that wasn't it remotely but another reference.

Also found this
http://www.eracle.it/eracle2004/opere_complete/mythrythualreligion/pagina_41.asp
That some stocks even traced their lineage to beasts will be shown in the chapter on Greek Divine Myths, and the presumption is that these creatures, though explained as incarnations and disguises of various gods, were once totems sans phrase, as will be inferred from various examples. Clemens Alexandrinus, again, after describing the animal-worship of the Egyptians, mentions cases of zoolatry in Greece. The Thessalians revered storks, the Thebans weasels, and the myth ran that the weasel had in some way aided Alcmena when in labour with Heracles. In another form of the myth the weasel was the foster-mother of the hero.

And this I imagine some of you might already have heard/read but there's the part about Basilik's and weasels.
http://www.occultopedia.com/b/basilisk.htm

"Accordingly, anyone who sought to slay a basilisk was wise to carry a mirror, so that it would kill itself with its own look. The other method was to set a weasel on the monster, since it was thought to be the only creature capable of wishstanding the cockatrice's [basilisk's] deadly stare"

Also found this interesting.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/monsters/Html/Basilisk.htm

The antagonism between the Weasleys and Malfoy? Considering Malfoy was the one suspected of being the heir... Or perhaps simply between Harry and Voldemort/riddle - specifically that the weasel dies as it kills the basilisk. You could consider Harry to be an adopted Weasley almost... it's tenuous but fun to look for connections.
This is not the only way the basilisk can be overcome. An antagonism between the weasel and the basilisk is first found in a third century BCE work attributed to Democritus.5 This antagonism, although not of great importance in antiquity, comes to carry more weight as the legend of the basilisk travels through time and cultures. This rivalry between weasel and basilisk can also be found in the former quote from Pliny, ‘…yet to a creature so marvelous as this…the venom of weasels is fatal…’ and

They throw the basilisks into weasels’ holes, which are easily known by the foulness of the ground, and the weasels kill them by their stench and die themselves at the same time, and nature’s battle is accomplished. (8.xxxiii)

BritAngie
June 20th, 2005, 12:39 PM
The half-blood prince could be the new DADA teacher.
But just what exactly is a half-blood prince?

I wonder if it's a Prince who's half muggle and half not?

Eeep only a few weeks to go till HP day! :D

greytop
June 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I wonder if it's a Prince who's half muggle and half not?

Eeep only a few weeks to go till HP day! :DI was wondering the same thing.

BritAngie
June 21st, 2005, 12:22 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

I guess if this Prince was half muggle (that's presupposong he's a real Prince and not some half muggle half magic dog called Prince :D ) that would make him a prime target for those who hate mud bloods and we know who hates them the most... ;)

Also just musing...- you know Malfoy's father and co - I wonder how many of their kids are at Hogwarts? And what with Harry and his friends all training up to make themselves more prepared. What if Malfoy and said dark side kids were also doing something the same.. kinda like the next evil generation?

24 days to go!!

BruTak
June 21st, 2005, 06:44 AM
On the subject of names, and apologies to anyone who's already pointed this out, but French girl Fleur Delacour from Goblet of Fire - it's somewhat interesting to note that a direct French to English translation of her name works out as "flower of the heart".
Now, if that ain't a subtle way of teching kids a second language, I dunno what is... :D

divcon
June 21st, 2005, 06:48 AM
I was watching Parkinson on Saturday night and Julie Walters was on and she said she wasn't in the next movie. But regardless of her refering to the 4th of 5th movie, Mrs Weasley is through out both of those books. Have any of you heard anything about this? :)

divcon
June 21st, 2005, 06:51 AM
Sorry if this question has already been posted. I'm new and that's my excuse.

BruTak
June 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Sorry if this question has already been posted. I'm new and that's my excuse.
Everyone was a newbie once upon a time.

But to answer your question - as far as I'm aware, Julie Walters will not be appearing in the movie version of Goblet of Fire. To my mind, Mrs. Weasley's appearance in the novel is merely an extended cameo, and bearing in mind the producers have a strict running time (2hrs 20mins last I heard) they have to meet, some things have gotta go.

divcon
June 21st, 2005, 07:15 AM
Everyone was a newbie once upon a time.

But to answer your question - as far as I'm aware, Julie Walters will not be appearing in the movie version of Goblet of Fire. To my mind, Mrs. Weasley's appearance in the novel is merely an extended cameo, and bearing in mind the producers have a strict running time (2hrs 20mins last I heard) they have to meet, some things have gotta go.

I suppose they just won't have her show up at the school for the final task. Or have her in the beginning for the Quidditch World Cup.

BruTak
June 21st, 2005, 07:25 AM
I suppose they just won't have her show up at the school for the final task. Or have her in the beginning for the Quidditch World Cup.
If memory serves, Julie Walters is currently appearing in the stage musical version of Acorn Antiques.
The reason she was in film one at all was that it was filmed pretty much back-to-back with film two.

divcon
June 21st, 2005, 07:33 AM
You're right she is on stage at the moment. I wonder if Bill and Charlie are going to appear in the 4th movie, and if so I wonder what the actors look like? Can't wait to see the ball scene and see what Hermione lookd like. :rolleyes:

BruTak
June 21st, 2005, 07:41 AM
You're right she is on stage at the moment. I wonder if Bill and Charlie are going to appear in the 4th movie, and if so I wonder what the actors look like? Can't wait to see the ball scene and see what Hermione lookd like. :rolleyes:
I'm sure I caught a glimpse of the three kids during the Batman Begins premiere show that was on the other day. :cool:
There should be some current photos on www.veritaserum.com