No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only person who thinks some of the grown ups parts in the movies have been horribly mis-cast?

When I first read GoF, the picture in my head of Rita Skeeter was of American comedian Ruby Wax - not Miranda Richardson.

Mad Eye Moody should be played by Tom Baker (who's mad anyway).

And if I might touch upon an earlier point, if the same three kids are gonna play Harry, Ron and Hewrmione all through the seven movies, then the production team's gonna have to move really fast before they grow up too much.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
      Am I the only person who thinks some of the grown ups parts in the movies have been horribly mis-cast?

When I first read GoF, the picture in my head of Rita Skeeter was of American comedian Ruby Wax - not Miranda Richardson.

Mad Eye Moody should be played by Tom Baker (who's mad anyway).

And if I might touch upon an earlier point, if the same three kids are gonna play Harry, Ron and Hewrmione all through the seven movies, then the production team's gonna have to move really fast before they grow up too much.
      I don't know about miscast, though I agree that I could see Ruby Wax as Rita Skeeter - my mental image was much more like her when reading the books, except it is hard to tell what the finished thing will be like.

I really wasn't expecting Ralph Fiennes either (was thinking Jeremy Irons or Richard O'Brien) but I like to give people a chance and trust the casting people. So far I've not felt dissapointed with their casting in the other films (presuming the same people are responsible)

As for them growing up, there is some leeway. If people in US shows play those 10 years younger all the time then I think they might be okay for Harry Potter films. Besides that they're keeping at it pretty consistently, about 1 a year or so.

Comment

I agree I trust the production so far. The past movies, the actors have all been great. As for the young teens, I think they will be great cause in the book they age but a yr and they are trying to do a movie every year. If they pull off all the 7 yrs it will be a milestone in movie making.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
          I should have known you'd be the one too start this thread P_M. Slytherin is great but I have toadmit i'm probably Ravenclaw (though Snape is great )
          Can't believe there wasn't one already, surely there are more HP fans around?

I'm so happy we get the new book, might have to reread the others to prepare. Plus I'm quite happy at the prospect of the new film. PoA was my favourite book and I really liked the film but it didn't translate quite as well as I'm hopnig GoF will - more action. Bring on July 16th, got my book preordered since about February or something like that.
          Thanks! I just had to start one seeing that I was meeting a bunch of HP and Snape fans on GW. I can't wait until the new book and film come out either. I am actually rereading the 5th book to prepare for the 6th. My favorite book thus far is the 5th book, especially all the Snape parts (like the Occlumency lessons). My favorite film is PoA.

Originally posted by McKay's girl
          Which class do you guys thing you'll end up in if you went to Hogwarts?
          I'd probably be in Ravenclaw since I'm quite alot like Hermione
          I would probably be sorted into Slytherin...cuz I am sly and cunning. And my class that I would get the highest marks in would be of course Potions

I will have to either put up my fanfic here or send it to you all My orignial characters in my story are Elizabeth 'Zion' Crichton, a 4th year Gryffindor and Alexis Snape, 5th year Slytherin, whom also is Snapes daughter. I may throw in a half-brother of Alexis, Silas Snape, 1st year Slytherin.
          sigpic

Comment

^yea yea yea... get you butt in gear and write more of it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
              If TV has taught us anything, it's that actors in their mid twenties can play teenagers, I don't think this will be a problem, besides, who's going to complain? I sure as **** wont be!
              I live my life one Friday night at a time!

Comment

Me neither, and as for the adult characters too...I think they picked good ones to play them....but I have to agree I pictured someone else to be playing the part of Rita Skeeter.

Another question for you all:

If you could play any position the quidditch team, what would it be? I would most definately want to be a chaser because I am quick and I can be sure to score goals fast, and avoid the other teams players with fast reflexes.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
                  If you could play any position the quidditch team, what would it be? I would most definately want to be a chaser because I am quick and I can be sure to score goals fast, and avoid the other teams players with fast reflexes.
                  Well I wouldn't like to be anywhere near bludgers so I'd probably prefer being a chaser or a seeker myself.

Comment

I'm 27, but I've read all of the Harry Potter books and enjoyed them. I was basically curious about all the hub-bub, and wanted to know what the big deal was. So I bought all the books and read them. I enjoyed them quite a bit, so I bought the hard back version of the "Order of the Phoenix" when it came out. I plan to buy the next book when it comes out too. It may have started out as a book for kids (and still is) but I can enjoy quality writing when I find it.

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Hmm. At the risk of causing this thread to erupt into a mass brawl, I'll ask are you HP shippers? You could check out http://www.cosforums.com - the opinions there are as polarised as they are over here with Stargate ships!

Comment

OMG. .I can actually admit I'm a Snape fan without being stoned.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

FP, yay! another Snape fan.......I like the way Alan Rickman plays Snape...no other person could do it better.

As for HP ships, Hywel, I kinda sorta just follow the whole Ron/Hermione thing...which I live...I am not to keen on Draco/Pansy or Harry/Luna or Harry/Ginny yet...but maybe someday I will get there...
                          sigpic

Comment

I've just watched the trailer and can sum1 clear sumthing up for me. I haven't read GOF in a long time but I thought the dragon harry faced was black, the one in the trailer is a pale brown.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit
                              I've just watched the trailer and can sum1 clear sumthing up for me. I haven't read GOF in a long time but I thought the dragon harry faced was black, the one in the trailer is a pale brown.
                              hmmm... All I remember for sure was that it could fly, and was supposed to be the most dangerous of the Four Dragons they had there.
                              The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
                                As for HP ships, Hywel, I kinda sorta just follow the whole Ron/Hermione thing...which I live...I am not to keen on Draco/Pansy or Harry/Luna or Harry/Ginny yet...but maybe someday I will get there...
                                I quite like the idea of Ron/Hermione too. If Hary does end up with someone who's already been introduced, then I'd hope it would be Ginny.

So which cover do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer the UK Adult cover. But I'll get the kids' one to match the rest of my collection, even though Harry looks quite weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X