Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thor_
    I discovered this thread too late Im BIG HP fan...I REALLY cant wait untill the 6th book comes out....
    There is no thread to late.

Comment

Here's a question:
      You know in book 5 how Harry can see the invisible horse things that pull the carraiges. Shouldn't he have been able to see them earlier because he saw his parents die?

Comment

he didn't see them die, he heard them, he was a baby wrapped in a blanket probly culdn't see much

Comment

Originally posted by Elzies
          Here's a question:
          You know in book 5 how Harry can see the invisible horse things that pull the carraiges. Shouldn't he have been able to see them earlier because he saw his parents die?
          Hello Elzies, JK Rowling has answered this question before in her website she answers:

In the fifth book, Harry can see the Thestrals. Can you?

Yes, I can, definitely. That is a really good question, because it enables me to clear up a point. The letters that I’ve had about the Thestrals! Everyone has said to me that Harry saw people die before could see the Thestrals. Just to clear this up once and for all, this was not a mistake. I would be the first to say that I have made mistakes in the books, but this was not a mistake. I really thought this one through. Harry did not see his parents die. He was one year old and in a cot at the time. Although you never see that scene, I wrote it and then cut it. He didn’t see it; he was too young to appreciate it. When you find out about the Thestrals, you find that you can see them only when you really understand death in a broader sense, when you really know what it means. Someone said that Harry saw Quirrell die, but that is not true. He was unconscious when Quirrell died, in Philosopher’s Stone. He did not know until he came around that Quirrell had died when Voldemort left his body. Then you have Cedric. With Cedric, fair point. Harry had just seen Cedric die when he got back into the carriages to go back to Hogsmeade station. I thought about that at the end of Goblet, because I have known from the word go what was drawing the carriages. From Chamber of Secrets, in which there are carriages drawn by invisible things, I have known what was there. I decided that it would be an odd thing to do right at the end of a book. Anyone who has suffered a bereavement knows that there is the immediate shock but that it takes a little while to appreciate fully that you will never see that person again. Until that had happened, I did not think that Harry could see the Thestrals. That means that when he goes back, he saw these spooky things. It set the tone for Phoenix, which is a much darker book.

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
          Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

How old is Dumbledore? They said in the first book that he and Nicholas Flamel worked on the philosophers stone together, and Flamel is over 600 yrs old.

sigpic
            Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
            Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Dumbledore's got to be around the same as Flammel, but probably a little younger since in the first book/movie, it said that Flammel would die without the stone.

How old do wizards get to be anyway?
              sigpic

Comment

Ahh ha! I knew there would be one of these around here somewhere...

I love Harry Potter and can't believe the luck that the new book and the movie come out at the same time! I am going to a midnight release party after I get off of work on Friday night and then coming home and watching new SG-1, SGA and BSG! Now that's what I call a good time!

So any speculation yet on who the HBP is? I am thinking Longbottom, but that maybe to obvious...

"Oh honey you just can't seem to walk into a room quietly can you?" -Michael Shanks Chicago Con 08

The Universe is Mad
                Photobucket

Comment

I think Neville Longbottom is a pure blood. I am thinking Seamus Finnagin is the HBP.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
                    I think Neville Longbottom is a pure blood. I am thinking Seamus Finnagin is the HBP.
                    I knew that.... Doh!

Finnigan would be a logical choice. Course it could be a character that she hasn't even introduced to us yet or someone that she has only mentioned in passing. That would be congruent with the storyline.

"Oh honey you just can't seem to walk into a room quietly can you?" -Michael Shanks Chicago Con 08

The Universe is Mad
                    Photobucket

Comment

So true...I don't think it will be Harry (he is Half blood)...cuz that would make it too obvious.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
                        So true...I don't think it will be Harry (he is Half blood)...cuz that would make it too obvious.
                        And Rowling has already said it's neither Harry nor Voldemort.

Comment

Harry isn't half blood anyway is he? He woz born to two magical parents.

Comment

He's mum was a mudblood. So that makes Harry a halfblood.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                              He's mum was a mudblood. So that makes Harry a halfblood.
                              I beg to differ.
                              Half-blood = one magical parent, one muggle parent.
                              Both Harry's parents are magical, even though Lily was muggle born.

Seamus could be the HBP, but given that it's been staring us in the face for the last five books, it could be a red herring. But then again, it could be a double bluff.
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                                I beg to differ.
                                Half-blood = one magical parent, one muggle parent.
                                Both Harry's parents are magical, even though Lily was muggle born.
                                I consider Harry a pure blood too, but people like Voldermort are a little stricter on their rules.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X