Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak
    Going back to my Macic Vs. Technology (yeah, yeah - so I'm a techie-buff, big deal). Since one has to concentrate to cast a spell, and since electronics etc. don't work within the grounds of Hogwarts - I wonder what would happen if one were to chuck a couple of CS gas grenades and the odd flashbang into the Slytherin common room?

I'm an evil minded wee so an' so, ain't I?
    Is a good point, but does Hogwarts have any anti-explosion charms on the common rooms, eh? (I'm not sure charms is the right classification but I'm sure you know what I mean by it - pre existing protection spells)

Comment

You know, that's never really been brought up in the books. Sure, Hogwarts is protected by spells that protect from electronics and someone Dis/Apparating, but we don't hear much of anything else on protection. I would think that the Great Hall had some kind of protection (mainly because of Sirius Black being on the loose in Hogwarts in PoA). I really don't know about the common rooms...though it would be fun to test the explosion-proof theory

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

That is okay, MG, to think is to build the mind...oh whatever !

And I am sure the common rooms have some sort of charm protecting them...I mean Hogwarts in unplottable by muggles.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
          That is okay, MG, to think is to build the mind...oh whatever !

And I am sure the common rooms have some sort of charm protecting them...I mean Hogwarts in unplottable by muggles.
          Yeah, but the basic component of CS gas is a harmless looking powder. It's only if you breathe it or get it on your skin that it starts being nasty.

What if someone were to (ahem) accidentally dump some of it into Malfoy's potion's cauldron?
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Yeah, but the basic component of CS gas is a harmless looking powder. It's only if you breathe it or get it on your skin that it starts being nasty.

What if someone were to (ahem) accidentally dump some of it into Malfoy's potion's cauldron?
            Hmm, actually I'm curious what the limits of magical medicine are. Could they easily deal with unexpected medical problems caused by muggles? Infact do you think they use CPR or a magical equivalent? Obviously magic can't bring people back from the dead (or rather shouldn't be even if there is a very difficut way to) but does that extend to not using it for resuscitation?

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
              Hmm, actually I'm curious what the limits of magical medicine are. Could they easily deal with unexpected medical problems caused by muggles? Infact do you think they use CPR or a magical equivalent? Obviously magic can't bring people back from the dead (or rather shouldn't be even if there is a very difficut way to) but does that extend to not using it for resuscitation?
              A similar thought struck me while re-reading PoA - given that news of Sirius black is on the Muggle news, does this suggest a certain amount of cooperation between the Magical world and the Muggle world?

Isn't there a reference in one of the books to Cornelius Fudge "meeting with the Muggle Prime Minister"? Or did I just imagine that...
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Just to let you know that Amazon.co.uk has cut its HBP price to just £8.99! I'm so happy.

Trying to undersell Asda, methinks.

Comment

A similar thought struck me while re-reading PoA - given that news of Sirius black is on the Muggle news, does this suggest a certain amount of cooperation between the Magical world and the Muggle world?

Isn't there a reference in one of the books to Cornelius Fudge "meeting with the Muggle Prime Minister"? Or did I just imagine that...
                  Yep I vaguely remember something about muggles in the higher echelons knowing about magic.

Comment

Got another magic vs tech question. Would a defribulator bring a person back who's been killed by the avada kadavra curse?

sigpic
                    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                      Got another magic vs tech question. Would a defribulator bring a person back who's been killed by the avada kadavra curse?
                      I'm thinking no. Mainly because it seems to equal instant death and nothing will bring you back if your brain function is dead, defribulators (sp?) only help for those who are not breathing and heart has stopped but I doubt the curse would be that simple to just stop your heart, though who'd know? It's an unforgivable curse so I doubt much research has been done into it, whether or not using muggle or magical medical methods.

Comment

I'm thinking no. Mainly because it seems to equal instant death and nothing will bring you back if your brain function is dead, defribulators (sp?) only help for those who are not breathing and heart has stopped but I doubt the curse would be that simple to just stop your heart, though who'd know? It's an unforgivable curse so I doubt much research has been done into it, whether or not using muggle or magical medical methods.
                        Thats a good point, but like you said not much research has been done in the area. So we dont really know how it works.

sigpic
                        Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                        Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Also, the majority of the wizard do not think muggle tech works on them, especially against unnatural things. Remember when they tried to put stitches in to Arthur, Ron's dad, in the 5th book, Order of the Phoenix.

Comment

Hello,

I just discovered this thread, it's so great, I get to have two of my passions on the same forum

So... I must say.. I am a Harry Potter fan, 34 going to 35 years old and loving it like I was a kid... I could give you some examples of how fan I am, but I guess we all are, so if you don't mind I'll stick around.

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                            Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
                            Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

Welcome to the thread LOL4JACK! I am 24 going on 25 and I am a DIE HARD Harry Potter fan.
                              sigpic

Comment

I discovered this thread too late Im BIG HP fan and I REALLY cant wait untill the 6th book comes out....

Comment

Working...
                                X