Harry Potter Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak
    Alrighty then, since none of you lot seem interested...

Magic Vs. Technology - who'd win?

IMO - technology. Why? Well, all the magic in the world isn't going to do you much good against someone sitting on a hill half a mile away with a sniper rifle.
    Or to paraphrase Agent Smith in The Matrix, "What good is casting a spell if you are unable to speak?"

(Sets proverbial cats among proverbial pigeons, sits back and waits for backlash... )
    In some sense I can agree but then either magic or technology is all about the way you use it. Not all magic is in the form of spells, there is innate magical skills like Tonks has and certain things done without wands as well as magical items you can carry. I'd say sure magics mostly useless if you're gagged but if your clever you'll have used it to stop such a thing from being able to occur and have defensive spells/wards or whatever.

Both are useful, but I'm sticking to its the way that you use them that decides which 'wins' out.

Comment

Must bump this thread from page 3 to page 1...hmmm...what to say, what to say...oh I know...another question...

Who is your most favorite character and your least favorite character?

Me...I like both Snape and Lucius the most...oh yeah and Draco. My least favorite character...well...uh...do I really have one...oh yeah, I don't really care for Professor Umbridge in Book 5 and in the movies I don't like the Dursleys.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
        Must bump this thread from page 3 to page 1...hmmm...what to say, what to say...oh I know...another question...

Who is your most favorite character and your least favorite character?

Me...I like both Snape and Lucius the most...oh yeah and Draco. My least favorite character...well...uh...do I really have one...oh yeah, I don't really care for Professor Umbridge in Book 5 and in the movies I don't like the Dursleys.
        Hmm.
        Least favourite: Aunt Marge. As bad as what happened t her in PoA was I was very happy.
        Favourite: Snape and Draco come close, as do Luna and Tonks from the last book but it has to be Hermione overall.

Another question, what's you favourite scene/event in either the books or films and why?

Comment

Book 5 spoilers-
          Spoiler:
          I was just wondering how Professor Umbridge was inspecting the classes. Was she inspecting just one year of the school, or all of them? And also, did she inspect every single different class a teacher had? Am I the only person who's noticed this?

sigpic
          Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
          Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
            Hmm.
            Least favourite: Aunt Marge. As bad as what happened t her in PoA was I was very happy.
            Favourite: Snape and Draco come close, as do Luna and Tonks from the last book but it has to be Hermione overall.

Another question, what's you favourite scene/event in either the books or films and why?
            Spoilers for those who havent read the books-
            Spoiler:

I like Hermione too, although I dont think she's my favourite character. I dont really have one yet.
            Least favourite would have to be- Hagrid, Aunt Marge, Umbridge, and the minister of magic (cant remember his name right now).

Favourite event would have to be the Triwizard tournament, especially task 1 cause of the dragon. Cant wait to see it in the movie, its going to be great!
            I also like the bit where Voldermort fights Harry, and Harry wins. Cant imagine how mad Voldermort must be, and also some of the Deatheaters might lose faith in him.

sigpic
            Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
            Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Favourite Character: Ron. I know he's a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, but - not everyone can be a genius.

Least Favourite: Draco Malfoy. If I'd been at school with him, I'd have taken him round the back of the broomstick sheds and given him a damn good kicking for being an obnoxious wee twerp a long time ago...
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Hmmm...a favorite even that happens in either the movies or books...well that is a lot right there...and for those who haven't seen the movies or read the books...i will put it in spoilers form..

Spoiler:
                My favorite events include the Triwizard Tournament in Book 4, the part in Book 4 where Harry fights Voldemort leading to Voldemorts coming back....I also like the Quidditch World cup and the Dark Mark stuff in the book as well.

A few more favorite events of mine include the part in Book 5 (which I am currently reading again) where Snape is teaching Harry the Occulmency lessons and the part where Harry slips into Snapes Pensieve and we see invisions of Snape in his younger years.

Some events that I liked from Books 1, 2 and 3 was the part in book 2 where Harry fights the Basilisk. I liked the 'real' wizards chess part in book 1. And in book 3, I liked the time-travel part as well as all the events in the Shrieking Shack and were Sirus fights with Lupin as a werewolf.

I of course, will always love the Quidditch matches.
                Last edited by SlytherinGal; 31 May 2005, 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling
                sigpic

Comment

I must bump this thread to the first page again...come on peeps...I know there are you HP fans out there...somewhere...I hope
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, I am here!!

Comment

I'm around. . every so often I try to track down spoilers for HBP, but no such luck. Talk about tight lips!!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

LOL! That is okay...we all have our Thunk threads to go to ! I cannot wait for HBP and the next movie any longer, I want them now!
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm staying spoiler-free from HBP - I've even given up using the first forum I ever used on the net - because I know it I use it I'll find out things before I read it, and I don't want to. I read minor spoilers for the last book before it came out, and that really did ruin small parts of it for me.

Comment

I haven't been following production on the Goblet of Fire film. I know a lot has been cut from the book because the studio doesn't want a long film.

Comment

Originally posted by Potions_Mistress
                              ...we all have our Thunk threads to go to !
                              Strange. . I love the Flanigan thunk thread. . .but I also have a "thing" for Snape.

I know. .I really, really need help. But I think everyone knew that already.

Comment

Hmmmmm..me too FP...I wonder how many other peeps have a 'thing' for Snape...perhaps we should make a Snape thunk thread in OT...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X