This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inertal dampiners

Why can the internal dampiners absorb the momentum of jumping into hyperspace but not a blast from a weapon???
    Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Originally posted by NotAllowedToNameAnything.Ever.
    Why can the internal dampiners absorb the momentum of jumping into hyperspace but not a blast from a weapon???
    I don't entirely understand your question. Inertial (the correct spelling) dampeners are simply force fields used to negate the G-forces you feel during extreme acceleration. They only work 'within' a ship... not outside of it. Also, it depends on what sort of weapon your referring to... A bullet? An energy based weapon? Inside or outside the cockpit? You have to give more information about what you mean before you can be given a proper answer. Please elaborate...
    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

I think the question relates to the fact that everybody stays put when the engine kicks in, but bounce around like snooker balls when somebody fires on the ship.

As far as I can remember, inertial dampeners act by creating a force which equals and opposes the forces of acceleration. During normal engine operation this can be anticipated, and the dampeners automatically compensate. However, a hit on the hull is an unanticipated event, and dampeners would take time to react to the sudden change. Therefore people and objects fly about.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
        I think the question relates to the fact that everybody stays put when the engine kicks in, but bounce around like snooker balls when somebody fires on the ship.

As far as I can remember, inertial dampeners act by creating a force which equals and opposes the forces of acceleration. During normal engine operation this can be anticipated, and the dampeners automatically compensate. However, a hit on the hull is an unanticipated event, and dampeners would take time to react to the sudden change. Therefore people and objects fly about.
        I think your right. Good call..!
        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

It's also the drama effect. How fun would it be to watch a show where there are no sparks and flesh wounds

We already know that Inertia drives aren't working at 100%, because Death Gliders had acceleration for example.

Comment

Pfft, death gliders, primitive things

Give me a puddle jumper any day

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
              It's also the drama effect. How fun would it be to watch a show where there are no sparks and flesh wounds
              True. It is also Necessary, in order that characters can get knocked out at convenient times, Sam in "Grace" for one.

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
              We already know that Inertia drives aren't working at 100%, because Death Gliders had acceleration for example.
              True. Most dampening fields seem to allow about 1G of acceleration.
              sigpic

Comment

There are a couple possibilities.

First, the only things that I can think of to counteractck the force of inertia, is either an equal or greater amount of gravity in the oposite direction, so you would need a huge gravity generator, in the front of the ship, this would compensate for any movements, however it would need time to compensate, and it would only work if the ship took fire from the back, if you wanted the inertial dampners to compensate for movements in all directions you would need gravity generators all around the ship, basically in a cubical shape. This pretty much explains why they still get jerked around when being hit by weapons fire. They are either being hit from one of the five sides of the ship not being compensated for by the artificial gravity generator, or the generator simply doesn't have enough time to compensate, it would have to compensate in literaly no time, in zero seconds from the time of impact, which would be incredibly dificult.

There are ways to counterack these ineficiencies.

1. Put artificial gravity generators all around the ship, and have the sensors could sense the discharge of an energy weapon, or traditional weapon, with bullets, or possibly larger bombs, and have the computer calculate the force of impact then the necesary compensation of gravity from the generators. However there is the possiblity for malfunctions but that is present in almost any situation.

There is no need for me to state my second idea because I believe I have provided sufficient information using soley my first theory. However if anyone would like to hear my second theory simply post and ask me and I will be happy to post a reply.

Owen Macri

Comment

The only logiacal thing I can think of is that the enertia dampiners can only compensate forward force. Though this would be unbelivable in a medium class ship since they would have to make more hard turns.

Artifcially gravity generators or antigravity generators outside the ship would be great against solied weapons but I am not so sure about how well they would be against energy weapons.

Sounds more like a writers conviniance to me. I am not one to be easily amazed by a few sparks flying here and there and someone shaking the camera. (I especially hated it on startrek. They console would spark injuring or killing soemone then the next person would run up and take the console. Never understood why a hightech computer needs that mush juice.)

You would think that maybe the first hit would shake the ship but after that the inertia dampiners would work to absorb the shock.
                  Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Comment

Technically the ship does absorb the shock, that is why it shakes and people are thrown everywhere. The only way inertial dampeners could compensate for an weapon stirke is for the sensors to gather information of the weapon being propelled toward them and then calcualte the effect the weapon will have on the ship, then if you are using gravity generators they can compensate with an equal amount of gravity in the opposite direction, normally a weapons hit from the front would push the ship backwards (this would need to be compensated for by the engines otherwise the ship would "drift" backwards forever) and the people would be "thrown" forwards, because the ship is moving backwards, the gravity generators in the back of the ship would compensate with the amount of gravity needed to equal the kinetic force of the hit from the front, at the exact moment the kinetic energy is passed into the ship, so the people would travel backwards with the ship, instead of flying out of thier chairs.

Theoretically gravity generators would be just as effective against solid (traditional) weapons as they would be against energy weapons.

Owen Macri

Comment

Not quite. You can have a control system that simply scans the impact effects a few times a second (somewhere in the order of 10^6) and increase the return force accordingly. There'd be a microsecond delay between information retreival and response but that would be negligible.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
                      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

This would only work if the enemy always uses the same types of weapons. You would also have to sustain fire for a period of time well information was gathered. With my idea, no hits would need to be sustained a computer program would simply determine the force of the impace before it actually happend than compensate at exactly the right time, the ship would still get thrown around but if you also add in my idea for redundant shields you could win a fight by simply not doing anyhting and waiting for the ship to run out of power and or weapons, it would of course be a long wait, but if you fired back you could do damage to thier ship while not sustaining any, at all, to yours. Having the redundant shields that I suggested in another thread, combined with the inertial dampners that I suggested, would minimize casualties to your crew, no one would be thrown around, the shields would never fail, all you would have to do is use your engnes to compensate for the force of kinetic energy transfered into your ship from the weapons fired at you, just so you don't drift into a star or the gravitational field of a black hole, or anything like that.

Owen Macri

Comment

No, it would work on any case. What it measures is force due to the weapon impact. If you have a fast scan rate you could probably measure very close to the instantaneous level.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
                          - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

I'm sorry, are you saying that the sensors could simply scan the impact of the weapon and immediatly transmit data to the computer and then calculate the gravitational compensation and then send the information to the artificial gravity generators?

This could work however, no matter the speed of the sensors and computer it would still take time and each time a weapon impacted the shields you would feel a quick bump and then the generators would kick in and it would be fine again. It would require an incredibly fast computer and transmission method. There would still be that moment of "uncomfortableness." With my idea, there would be no moment of uncomfortableness, and you would feel nothing, for the gravitaitonal generators would kick in at the EXACT same time as the weapon hit, it would be like having one person one your left and one on your right, and having them both push you at the same time with the same amount of force. With your idea it would be like having the guy on the left push a little sooner than the guy on the right, you would go right a bit but then even out.

Owen Macri

Comment

I don't think it is possible to keep from being jostled entirely. Heck, even the Earth can't protect us from it. (earthquakes) You might be able to prevent anticipated jolts to some degree, but what if it comes from something your sensors can't detect? Inertial Dameners are great, but they aren't all mighty...

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X