PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Zone Discussion/Appreciation

TechnoBoY
June 6th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Just a reminder that The Dead Zone has its season primere tonight! It will be on USA Networks 10pm tonight!

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/thedeadzone/#

Anyone here like this show?

ShadowMaat
June 6th, 2004, 07:14 AM
I watched it for a while, but then they started getting into the sensationalistic "ripped from the headlines" BS and I stopped watching.

I do, however, really REALLY love the promo where Monk meets Johnny. ;)

KorbenDirewolf
June 6th, 2004, 09:08 PM
I almost missed it.. Didn't see any advertising for it until today. At least they're going back to the main story again.. Gotta say I didn't like most of the 2nd season.

TechnoBoY
June 7th, 2004, 06:02 AM
I saw it last night. I didnt really like it. And Bruce was screwed up, I thought they changed the actor.

joshing123
June 8th, 2004, 08:47 AM
And Bruce was screwed up, I thought they changed the actor.

No he just cut his hair and I think shaved his goatee or whatever he had during an episode last season so he looks really different.

I thought it was alright, but a bit confusing (although I was talking to some people at the time so that didn't help). In general I don't care for those type of episodes - you know the main character didn't do it because well, he's the show!

KorbenDirewolf
June 15th, 2004, 10:14 PM
You don't always know.. They could have pulled off another alternate reality like they did when John went after Stilson.

SGSlugger
June 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM
It was a good book, and the first season seemed alright to me, although I never really followed it. I kinda dropped the seriousness of it somewhere, but I'll still watch it.

I did enjoy the promo too.

Elwe Singollo
July 5th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Anyone happy that they finally told JJ who is his real dad is? I especially liked the end of the episode, with the little skateboard accident:)

I thought it was kind of weird and scary with the whole 'spying' and stuff, makes me paranoid...

TechnoBoY
July 5th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I liked the line he said, Just when you think youre paranoid, you realize youre nor paranoid enough. Is that the line?

Elwe Singollo
July 5th, 2004, 12:45 PM
If it isn't, thats how i remember it, haha... Loved that line too:)

Elwe Singollo
August 2nd, 2004, 06:26 AM
Did anyone see that episode last Sunday where we find out if Sarah would have waited or not for Johnny to wake up is someone told her that he would wake up. I thought the episode was just, wow, and at the end where we find out, shocking for me:)

joshing123
August 3rd, 2004, 07:12 AM
You mean what her choice would have been was shocking? I assumed that would have been her answer. It was a good episode and a good way to talk about her choice, but I thought the end a tad cheesy.
Loved the stuff w/Bruce searching for a wife though!

Elwe Singollo
August 3rd, 2004, 09:34 AM
I meant not shocking, haha, i meant like, YES!, haha, but the thing is, i like Walt with Sarah too, haha... Bruce was halrious, and the whole Sarah and Bruce asking him to 'touch everyone', halrious.

Darren
August 3rd, 2004, 08:33 PM
The first girl Johnny checked out for Bruce (when he ended up getting punched in the face) was played by the lovely Grace Park, Lt. Satterfield in SG-1's "Proving Ground." (More prominently, she's Boomer on the new "Battlestar Galactica.")

Elwe Singollo
August 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
She looked very familiar, haha, she looks alot older :D

Elwe Singollo
August 22nd, 2004, 09:51 PM
This thread may have spoilers so beware :)

Was anyone little mad how the finale ended, with that vision... :( I thought Rebecca was pretty clever, although it wasn't for the best... Also very touching with the conversation with Sarah about how he would want her to decide to operate or not to operate, etc.

joshing123
August 23rd, 2004, 08:21 AM
I expected a sort of cliffhanger ending & I thought the Rebecca thing was a nice twist. You're right though, that was tricky of her w/the birthday thing.

Does anyone know if this is the actual season finale they're done until next summer or if it's coming back in January (or whenever) for the second half of the season again?

MrBright
August 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
As of now, no one REALLY knows, but there have been reports of there will be a season 4, but nothing offically !!!! We're just waiting for USA or someone else to find out !!

MrBright

Elwe Singollo
August 24th, 2004, 05:23 AM
According to its ratings which zap2it.com usually posts how much the show is averaging, the show is #3 behind Monk and the 4400, above 3-4 million viewers i think, so i don't think they'll cancel this show :D Or at least i hope not.

vikingjedi
August 25th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I like the show, but one thing Ive noticed is that there's not a stable plot line. Like we know that he has to stop Stilson, but they have shows all through the season that have absolutely nothing to do with it, and then all of a sudden they come back to it on the final episode.

Elwe Singollo
August 25th, 2004, 04:57 AM
I like the show, but one thing Ive noticed is that there's not a stable plot line. Like we know that he has to stop Stilson, but they have shows all through the season that have absolutely nothing to do with it, and then all of a sudden they come back to it on the final episode.If you notice, thats what SG does too, such as in the end of S6-S7. Daniel told them to find the Lost City, and they bring that idea up in the premiere, but totally forget about it till the season finale, and same for the Anubis thing, he's there in the show, but not doing anything. I see no problem there, because i think they could wrap up a story like that in less than 12 episodes.

Elwe Singollo
September 9th, 2004, 03:29 PM
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|90536|1|,00.html
According to zap2it, it has been :D

D.C.
September 10th, 2004, 03:53 AM
That show was decent, It's not shown often here though.

prion
September 10th, 2004, 08:47 AM
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|90536|1|,00.html
According to zap2it, it has been :D

Hollywood Reporter said it was renewed (as of today the 10th) so Zap2it.com probably got it from that press release, but yup, back for anothe rseason, which is good as they left Johnny... er, not in a good place.

Elwe Singollo
September 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Hollywood Reporter said it was renewed (as of today the 10th) so Zap2it.com probably got it from that press release, but yup, back for anothe rseason, which is good as they left Johnny... er, not in a good place.Ugh yah, i was like at the end of the finale, "thats it?", i was... bah, wanted more, haha...

Darren
September 10th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Woo-woo! A full season, 22-episode order for one of the best-written genre shows on TV. Can't wait till next year.

Elwe Singollo
October 13th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Scifiwire (http://scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-10/13/10.00.tv) reports that the Dead Zone's 4th season will be getting 22 episodes instead of the 13 it has been getting. :) Yay!

D.C.
October 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
USA are getting pretty good shows on their network. They've got Monk, The Dead Zone, and The 4400. Too bad The Dead Zone is never shown in Australia.

MartoufMarty
October 13th, 2004, 05:27 PM
The Dead Zone is awesome. I was sort of out of the loop for season 3, but I saw some episodes. I can't wait :D :D

A longer season is ALWAYS better. :D

yaaayoubetcha
October 13th, 2004, 06:11 PM
This is great news.

The first season I thought was pretty weak, but when they introduced the political uber story, it really started to pull me in, if only just to find out if they were going to address it or not.

A full season is great. Hopefully they won't hose it with bad stories and needless filler.

Elwe Singollo
October 13th, 2004, 09:04 PM
The only thing i'm worried about with the Dead Zone having 22 episodes is having only a few good episodes, and the rest suck, that would just be depressing... But lets not hope for that :) Haha...

D.C.
October 13th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Well that depends on the writers, which I'd assume would be the same team.

Darren
October 14th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Excellent, excellent, excellent. The Dead Zone is (usually) one of the best-written shows on television, of any genre, and they deserve an entire season to play with. USA has been playing it cautious for three years, ordering half-seasons, seeing how they do, thinking about it for a while, then ordering another half-season -- despite the fact that the show is consistently one the highest-rated original dramas on cable.

Here's to Season Four!

GatetheWay
March 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I really like Dead Zone it is well done and well acted. It is the 3rd most watched show on USA but USA still can't seem to advertise for it in a half decent way. I mean I never know when the next season is going to start. :S

I actually thought it had been canceled up till yesterday where I find out that there is going to be a 4th season with 22 episodes. But, of course, USA neglects AGAIN to say when it will start. So if anyone knows anything about the start date don't hesitate the post. :)

DownFallAngel
March 17th, 2005, 02:05 PM
My research has turned up nothing other than a confirmed 4th season. Also, the 4th season may or may not start off with Tipping Point 2.

GatetheWay
March 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
How can they start without finishing the last episode? :eek: This all just seems like bad handling on USA Network's side.

DownFallAngel
March 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I guess they would have to do a bottle episode and then lead up to TP2, i guess. Sounds wack though.

blueiris
March 17th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I believe the new season usually starts in June, although I haven't seen anything yet. I believe they started production in November.

GatetheWay
March 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
I believe the new season usually starts in June, although I haven't seen anything yet. I believe they started production in November.
Thats just it! See DZ has started in the summer once then in the winter...It doesn't have a fixed time to start. But if they did begin production in Nov. then it will probably start this summer.

Bast
March 17th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I love The Dead Zone! I am amazed how Micheal Piller had taken a half decent stephen king story turned it into a great show!

Spoilers

In the Novel and original movie , It ends were Johnny tried to assinate Greg Stillson and avert a future nuclear holocaust since Stillson is a delussional mad man who will some day if he isnt stoped take the nuclear football without senate authorization and launch a baslistic barrage at Russia because he thinks God sent him to bring the rapture and cleanse the Earth .

Johnny snipers Stillson in a community hall balcony , He misses Stillson because a guard pushed him out of the way taking the bullet and everyone clears the hall in panic ,Stillson grabs Johns son and uses him as a human sheild as he does it a photographer takes a shot of the act , The wounded Gaurd Shoots Johnny and he falls over the balcony to the ground below.

Unfortunately Johnny will die in the attempt but will go out receiving one last vision seeing Sillsons politcal career end in shame concluding with Stillsons suicide and his future Sons happy life.

Bare in my Mind the TV show has striking differences from the novel since it was written during the cold war ,So this may not happen or may conclude differently!

GatetheWay
March 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Actually the TV show has already played out that senerio.

I think in a season 3 ep. Bruce attends his fathers funeral and when he is saying good bye has a vision (I don't know how exacly but it was somehow through Johnny). In the vision Bruce is living his life without having met Johnny and so without Bruce to support him Johnny ends up like the Johnny in the movie and trys to assasinate Stillson dying in the effort.

This episode shows that now the show is on like an alternative timeline of sorts that will end differently from the movie.

morjana
May 25th, 2005, 10:47 PM
From The Futon Critic:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20050525usa01

(Please follow the link for the complete article. There are spoilers for season four.)

Wednesday, May 25, 2005
SEASON FOUR OF USA NETWORK'S ORIGINAL SERIES ‘THE DEAD ZONE’ STARRING ANTHONY MICHAEL HALL PREMIERES SUNDAY, JUNE 12 AT 10:00 PM ET/PT
Released by USA

SEASON FOUR OF USA NETWORK'S ORIGINAL SERIES ‘THE DEAD ZONE’ STARRING ANTHONY MICHAEL HALL PREMIERES SUNDAY, JUNE 12 AT 10:00 PM ET/PT

Sean Patrick Flanery, Martin Donovan, Danny Masterson, Dedee Pfeiffer, Jennifer Finnigan, Edward Asner, Ben Foster and Sarah Wynter Guest Star in the Hit Series from Lions Gate Television and CBS Paramount International Television

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. -- May 12, 2005 -- The Dead Zone, the hit series starring Anthony Michael Hall (“61*,” “The Pirates of Silicon Valley,” “Sixteen Candles”), launches its fourth season on USA Network Sunday, June 12 at 10:00 PM ET/PT. Based on characters from the Stephen King novel, the drama returns as one of basic cable’s top-rated series, its sustained success fueled by an outstanding cast, powerful storytelling and striking visual effects.

Produced by Lions Gate Television and CBS Paramount International Television in association with Piller² and The Segan Company, The Dead Zone is a psychological thriller blending action, romance, the paranormal and a continuing quest for justice. In one of the most demanding roles on series television, Hall stars as Johnny Smith, a man injured in a near-fatal car crash, who emerges from a six-year-long coma with psychic powers that allow him to see into the past and future through visions triggered by touch.

Also starring in the ensemble cast are Nicole deBoer (“Star Trek: Deep Space Nine”) as Johnny’s former fiancée, Sarah; Chris Bruno (“Another World”) as Sarah’s husband, sheriff Walt Bannerman; John L. Adams (“Pacific Blue”) as Johnny’s best friend, Bruce; and David Ogden Stiers (“Curse of the Jade Scorpion”) as Reverend Purdy, the executor of the Smith family trust.

Sean Patrick Flanery (“Dead Lawyers”) returns to reprise his role as Johnny’s archenemy, the unscrupulous young congressman Greg Stillson. Martin Donovan (“Traffic – The Miniseries”), Danny Masterson (“That ‘70s Show”), Dedee Pfeiffer (“Cybill”), Jennifer Finnigan (“Committed”), Edward Asner (“Lou Grant”), Ben Foster (“Six Feet Under”) and Sarah Wynter (“24”) are among this season’s guest stars.

**snippity doo-dah**

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

MarshAngel
May 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I love the show but the last season was a bit wishy-washy. I didn't like how they left the whole end of the world issue brought up in the second season mostly unresolved in the third. All the same, I'm looking forward to the new season.

Senara
May 26th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Yeah!! I was wondering when season 4 was going to start, getting kind of tired of the re-runs.

Elwe Singollo
May 27th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah!! I was wondering when season 4 was going to start, getting kind of tired of the re-runs.Holy crap, i'm sick and tired of those re-runs as well! :D

KatG
May 27th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Finally. Was beginning to wonder if there was ever going to be a season 4.

fan of jack
May 28th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I really enjoyed the series but...we knew it was coming :D ....the end of the world stuff was abit far fetched and kind of turned me off it abit *hides* i hope the new series is alot better! :rolleyes:

morjana
June 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
While watching TV today, saw a promo commercial for the fourth season
premiere of "The Dead Zone" -- and recognized Colin Cunningham in a
clip. According to IMDB, Colin portrays a character named "Pendragon."

Also, actor Gary Chalk (SG-1's Colonel Chekov) is guest starring:

USA Sunday 6/12/2005 10:00 PM

Dead Zone
"Broken Circle"

The fourth season begins. Still reeling from the effects of his seizure and on the lam from the Feds, Johnny races to prevent Rebecca (Sarah Wynter) from sacrificing herself to kill Stillson, whose troubled past is recalled in a string of flashbacks. Elsewhere, an imprisoned Purdy receives a cryptic offer. Greg Stillson: Sean Patrick Flanery. James Stillson: Gary Chalk. (2005)

Anthony Michael Hall, Nicole de Boer, David Ogden Stiers, Chris Bruno, John L. Adams

For more information on the series, the official site link:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/thedeadzone/

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

Elwe Singollo
June 13th, 2005, 01:27 PM
First thing to comment... Anyone like the new music for the opening credits?

Colin Cunningham, oh boy, an annoying character, but can't blame him for doing his job.

Ahh! What a relief that Stilson (i forgot his name, is that it?) wasn't the killer! Poor people who liked Johnny and Rebecca together though, they were so nice together!

Anyway, more to say, but have to go. :(

yaaayoubetcha
June 14th, 2005, 05:16 AM
I thought it was a pretty good ep overall.

Hopefully if Cunningham's character becomes a semi-main, they start to write him better.

I suspected all along that it wasn't Stilson that killed the girl...it was just too obvious given that he's sposed to be the trigger for armageddon...the big baddies never sweat the small stuff <s>

I thought it was a bit cheesey to introduce the free masons though. Will have to see how that goes, but so far it seems a weak idea and takes away some of the danger/drama about Stilson.

KatG
June 14th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Don't like the new music.

Didn't suspect Papa Stilson, although it makes sense.

Too bad that Rebecca and Johnny didn't work out. At least they didn't kill her, so she has the chance of coming back.

LoneStar1836
June 15th, 2005, 12:28 AM
First thing to comment... Anyone like the new music for the opening credits?One word. No.

Since I only watched an episode or two last season (always forgetting it was on), I’m sure there are details I’ve missed. I did see the one were Johnny was accused of killing her sister so I did know who Rebecca was but I’m not up to date on all the Armageddon stuff except for, what was it, the season finally to S2 that revealed this story line.

Aww, Stilson killed the poor Russian Colonel from Stargate. :(;)

Wonder if that’s the last we see of his cane that he chunked in the river? For some reason I have a feeling it will find it’s way back to him, but then again maybe not.

Now if I can just remember there is something to now watch on Sunday nights. :D

Dallista
June 15th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Having waited for this episode since August '04, I have to say I felt it was a bit too rushed, but otherwise pretty decent.

I'd have liked to see more explanation given to Johnny deciding against brain surgery. One minute he's about to go to the O.R., the next he's in Bruce's car sleeping off the sedative, and the next he's running around in DC and there's *no reference at all* in the rest of the episode to his headaches/blackouts/the possibility of the surgery etc. Until the final scene in which he tosses his cane into the river. I'm sorry, but if I hadn't read the original story treatment after seeing the episode (it's on the official website), I wouldn't have understood that Johnny figured out that he got the headaches/blackouts by having, through the cane, a "closed circle" with his future self. That's apparently what the episode title refers to, to him breaking that circle, and hence ridding himself of the headaches, seizures etc. and no longer needing the surgery.
I think it should've been a two-parter, and then they'd have had time explain this better, because now it felt as if they just totally forgot about Johnny's physical problems.

I don't think we'll ever see the cane again, because in that same story treatment, the writers make it very clear that they want to shift the focus away from Wey and Future Johnny (heck, Wey wasn't even in the episode!) and towards this new player, Janus. Johnny himself has figured out that he needs to come up with he answers himself, instead of relying on the directions from the manipulative cynic person that he will become. Johnny doesn't need the cane anymore to walk, and he doesn't want the contact with FJ anymore. Besides which, Wey found the cane in Washington DC, and that's where it is now, if not at the exact same spot... yet. ;)

LoneStar1836
June 16th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the explanation about the cane and how the guys in the future came into possession of it. :) Obviously that was one of those episodes I missed or either wasn’t paying close enough attention. I'm going to try and do better this season. :D

sueKay
July 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Heya!

I've recently began watching The Dead Zone, and it is BRILLIANT!

I've had a look for other threads on the Dead Zone, and never found any, but I apologise if this is a duplicate thread.

Is there anyone else here that loves the Dead Zone????

.:Lemon:.
July 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I used to love The Dead Zone! It was one of my fave shows. But after the first series finished I just kinda forgot about it and never watched the rest. I really should start watching again!

sueKay
July 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I've only discovered it as UK sci fi channel is showing season one again. I noted with some bemusement that Nicole DeBoer's character (can't remember her name) has the same house as Sam!

.:Lemon:.
July 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Wow that's pretty cool! - I hadn't noticed that :p

sueKay
July 27th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Yeah...just watch any ep that Nicole DeBoer's house is in...then watch Ascension from season five!

sg1niner
July 31st, 2005, 07:03 PM
I was watching previews for next sundays dead zone and I think i saw Teryl Rothery in it. But i went to go look under IMDB under her name but shes not listed to be on dead zone.. Just thought I'd share.. But I swear it was her lol

hmm

any one care to state im not crazy? or seeing things

SaberBlade
July 31st, 2005, 07:29 PM
she is doing an episode of the Dead Zone, but sites may not update until the episode has aired.

http://terylrothery.com/news.htm

in a supporting role on an episode of The Dead Zone.

its possible that the episode you saw advertise does star her.

sg1niner
August 1st, 2005, 07:37 AM
thanks im glad to know im not seeing things lol

Lida
August 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM
I was watching previews for next sundays dead zone and I think i saw Teryl Rothery in it. But i went to go look under IMDB under her name but shes not listed to be on dead zone.. Just thought I'd share.. But I swear it was her lol

hmm

any one care to state im not crazy? or seeing things

Yep, I heard her voice, it was Teryl. ;) Tune in for next weeks epi!

Is everything filmed in Vancouver now??????? :p

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM
Yes everything - It is all part of an Ori plot to place subconscious messages into our shows

starellen1
August 1st, 2005, 05:03 PM
Good, I'll set my DVR to record DZ next week, thanks for the heads-up!

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 2nd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Anybody else miss her on Stargate. And it look like a good episode.

jckfan55
August 2nd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Anybody else miss her on Stargate. And it look like a good episode.
I sure do. I'll have to make a point to watch on Sunday. I don't always watch Dead Zone.

Shipperahoy
August 7th, 2005, 09:51 PM
It was nice to see some familiar Stargate faces on The Dead Zone tonight. Both Teryl Rothery and Don S. Davis were guest stars tonight. They had fairly minor parts but it was still good to see them. And of course Orlin himself, Sean Patrick Flannery, but he's recurring and has been on a while. It's been quite the Stargate guest stars season thus far. We even got Colin Cunningham, which is nice since we haven't seen him on Stargate for while.

Madeleine
August 7th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I'm halfway through s3. It's brilliant. It's one of the few shows where I like the standalones and the arc stories equally. They've managed to do so many surprising and quirky things within the basic format.

Elwe Singollo
August 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I'm halfway through s3. It's brilliant. It's one of the few shows where I like the standalones and the arc stories equally. They've managed to do so many surprising and quirky things within the basic format.I for one (well it looks to be as tons others as well) agree it is brilliant, and sad that UPN passed on a show that could have done wonders for the network (or maybe not since yah, it is UPN).

One thing i totally hate about The Dead Zone (ShOCK?! i know its almost impossible to think anything is wrong with this little ball of goodness) is that we get entertained and pulled into this big storyline about the world going to end, then a few episodes later its about a girl in a painting. I'm not saying that episode was bad, i just think the show can be very anticlimatic.

So thats pretty much it for me, ANTICLIMATIC, but maybes thats just this season, i dont know yet. :)

yaaayoubetcha
August 8th, 2005, 05:17 AM
i didn't much like DZ in the first season, but in the second season, when they introduced the Senator and an uber-arc, i got into a bit more. then they had something to do other than just bland episodic see the future tv.

last season was great and this season has been good so far.

Elwe Singollo
August 8th, 2005, 07:31 AM
The most recent episode just made me angry! :eek: That little scene at the end was the reason, with the 'bad people' getting what they wanted, or 90 percent of it at least.

MarshAngel
August 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM
So true. I love the show for the most part but one thing I don't like is the endless space between episodes dealing with the arc. We hardly know anything more now than we did when they began the arc. And I can't decide if it's a good thing or not, but I don't see Johnny beating this one. He's been consistently been lagging on taking down the bad guy... not even small victories.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 8th, 2005, 02:08 PM
This year's theme song to The Dead Zone is the worst theme song ever for a Scifi show. They should but last years Theme song back and get rid of this years theme.

Ses
August 8th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I agree they should bring back the old theme!

This season reminds me of one of those tacky little christmas decorations that you get in cheap stores.

yaaayoubetcha
August 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
i don't know about that....

the last season of Enterprise was pretty bad...

MarshAngel
August 8th, 2005, 06:50 PM
True, but fortunately that show is over.

I don't know why they changed it. I really liked it the way it was. I can't say I truly hate the new one ( it's slowly growing on me) but it's definitely not a change for the better. Why doesn't anyone seem to subscribe to the old theory anymore: If it aint broke, don't 'fix' it.

KatG
August 9th, 2005, 04:43 AM
This year's theme song to The Dead Zone is the worst theme song ever for a Scifi show. They should but last years Theme song back and get rid of this years theme.

I felt that way to begin with. I really liked the original theme music as did hubs. But I have to admit that this new one has slowly grown on me and I rather like it now.

sg1niner
August 10th, 2005, 04:30 PM
quick thing.... don s. davis was also in it..

Catysg1
August 11th, 2005, 05:02 AM
I like the deadzone too but not addicted yet ..I keep forgetting to watch everyday .. and I'm not sure which season I'm watching .!!
I saw some great episodes so far :)

Caty :)

sueKay
August 11th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I think UK Sci Fi's showing more than one season at the moment...one week Walt was fighting for his life...two days later he's fine and helping Johnny out again...

kinda gives the ending away!!!!

Elwe Singollo
August 11th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I think UK Sci Fi's showing more than one season at the moment...one week Walt was fighting for his life...two days later he's fine and helping Johnny out again...

kinda gives the ending away!!!!Haha, i know what you mean. I lived in the states for a while, and got attached to so many shows (this was around 1998-2000) and i moved overseas and the shows were a season behind! So i was bummed... The year later, i moved back to the states and i missed a whole season. I know not the samething, but similar :) Kind of life Buffy, she had short blonde hair, than boom i moved back to the states, she has long curly hair!

sueKay
August 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM
LOL

I know...Stargate's about the only one we get shortly after it's aired in the US. Our programs also jump about...One week it'll be a season 2 ep of a show...next week they'll repeat the pilot!

Another thing is that shows like The Dead Zone get ZERO publicity...so we don't know anything about it unless we find something on the net.

I'm at the stage in the Dead Zone where I'm just finding out the characters' names...I'm thinking of reading the Novel too!

Catysg1
August 11th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Suekay ..I don't if you have sky one ..but if you watch sky one ..SG1 is played in order from season 1 to season 8 . They don't jump ..it's the same with JAG on FX ..they play it in order too ...Season 1 JAG is nearly finished and season 2 starts next week ..can't wait for that one . ;)

Dead zone ..I'll have to really start concentrating a bit more about the show and try to watch a few episodes in a row and not just one a week so that I can get to know the characters a bit more but I like it .
The thing is : Because I'm watching a few shows at the moment like JAG , Lost, CSI vegas, NCIS I find find it hard to fit another one in :o

Shame but I'll try . I had to give up on Medical investigation because as I said I had to make a choice and it was too hard to handle but I'll try harder with Deadzone :)

Caty :)

sg1niner
August 11th, 2005, 02:35 PM
yeah i love the dead zone its one of my few favorite shows... Have you seen the commericals they have of it? lol they're great...

every sunday I watch the 4400 and dead zone... any one watch the 4400 on here? That's also a great show

rac76
August 17th, 2005, 04:13 AM
I've watched here and there. I was watching the beginning of this current season, and then I just forgot about it. I would look at the clock on the computer and realize that the show is more than half over, so that's how I've ended not watching. I think its a great show, Anthony Michael Hall is doing a great job!

I brought the book that its based on, but I haven't had the chance to read it (I'm curretly reading Angels and Demons, but I'm stuck in the middle of that book) Maybe one day I'll read it, and then maybe one day I'll buy the dvds to catch up. :D

fan of jack
August 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM
I love dead zone. although i didnt think the end of the world episodes were very interesting i enjoyed all the rest. :D

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 27th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I felt that way to begin with. I really liked the original theme music as did hubs. But I have to admit that this new one has slowly grown on me and I rather like it now.
Like the BSG U.K theme, I absolutely hated it, and now I some what hate it.

TechnoBoY
August 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I agree with you guys. The old theme was so much better! I wonder why they changed it.

ShadowMaat
August 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM
You're really into "worst" aren't you, Abydos? First the worst series, now the worst theme. ;)

I don't mind the Dead Zone theme, but I don't hear it very often. I'm not sure it really suits the show, but whatever.

I don't like the new themes for SG-1 and Atlantis. Way too hacked up.

Pretty much all the shows I think suck, I think their themes suck, too, particularly the hideous remix they did for Cleopatra 2525. *shudder*

The original Time Tunnel theme. Grrr.

aaobuttons
August 30th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I haven't heard any of the other season themes as I just started watching it this season, but I like it. I think it fits the mood of the show really well.

aaobuttons
August 30th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I started watching it this season, and love it! Sunday night is my 2nd fav night now, just behind Sci-Fi friday. The season finale was great, although I'm a bit confused about the end, (though I think that might be that I haven't seen the other seasons, anyone want to help me with that?) Anthony Michael Hall is great, and I hope the next season is soon! Has it been renewed?

Dallista
August 31st, 2005, 11:31 AM
I hope the next season is soon! Has it been renewed?
It was renewed for seasons 4 and 5 at the same time. Unfortunately they didn't exactly tell the fans that. What they said was, we've been renewed for 22 episodes, so everybody assumed that season 4 would be 22 episodes, whereas in fact it was being split into two seasons, 11 episodes each. When they finished shooting season 4, they continued right on with season 5. Should be done sometime in the autumn, but those other 11 episodes probably won't air until summer '06, except for a special '05 X-mas episode.
I haven't the faintest about a possible season 6, though.

darman
August 31st, 2005, 02:24 PM
It was renewed for seasons 4 and 5 at the same time. Unfortunately they didn't exactly tell the fans that. What they said was, we've been renewed for 22 episodes, so everybody assumed that season 4 would be 22 episodes, whereas in fact it was being split into two seasons, 11 episodes each. When they finished shooting season 4, they continued right on with season 5. Should be done sometime in the autumn, but those other 11 episodes probably won't air until summer '06, except for a special '05 X-mas episode.
I haven't the faintest about a possible season 6, though.

now that you mention it...stargate has never had a holiday episode( :rolleyes: well you know what i mean)...i think that would be cool...x-mas in atlantis :D . They probably don't do it because of production schedule and new episodes either air before or after the holidays.

Elwe Singollo
August 31st, 2005, 03:00 PM
I can't wait for that winter episode. :) One of my favorite guest stars is returning. :D

Ses
September 6th, 2005, 03:55 AM
The season finale was great, although I'm a bit confused about the end, (though I think that might be that I haven't seen the other seasons, anyone want to help me with that?)

I am so glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it! Does anyone have the faintest idea what that whole bible scene was about? :S
(and I have seen every episode... so no clues anywhere else :S )

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=33120

Zone, Trek Producer Piller Dies

Michael Piller, co-creator of USA Network's The Dead Zone TV show and a veteran Star Trek writer/producer, died in the early morning hours of Nov. 1 after a long fight with cancer, the official Star Trek Web site reported. He was 57.

MrBright
November 3rd, 2005, 02:19 AM
RIP Michael Piller :(

Qasim
November 3rd, 2005, 07:50 AM
*cough* RIP Michael Piller (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=19700)

skritsys
November 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM
wrong channel....i mean thread.

MrBright
February 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I know there are Dead Zone fans here, and I do apologize if this has been already posted, but this article was in the newest edition of TV Guide:

Is the Dead Zone dying? It seems that way. Reps for the USA network series (which is due to return for its fifth season on June 11) have confirmed to TV Guide that the cast is no longer under contract. And that includes the show's leading man, Anthony Michael Hall. "We still hold an option for a sixth season with Lionsgate (which owns the Stephen King propery)," says the USA publicity v.p. Jean Guerin. "But no decision will be made about a pick up until August, after we know how season 5 has performed. Even then, the show wouldn't go back into production until 2007-A ghastly wait that has most of the cast scrambling for new jobs on pilots. Sources close to Hall say he has a vested interest in staying available because he's one of Dead Zone's producers and has a sweet profit-participation deal. In fact, there's an interesting option floating around the halls of USA: Keep Hall in the Zone and do the show without his costars -Michael Logan

:(

the fifth man
February 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Wow, I forgot that show was even still on. No offense to fans of it, I just got out of watching it for some reason.

Dallista
February 9th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Fifth Man: no offense taken. Not realizing the show is still on is a perfectly normal reaction shared by *many* people... sometimes even the fans. ;)

This is so stupid, but I do think 99 % of the TDZ fans have been expecting this. How could we not? They suddenly decided to film twice as long, 22 or so episodes, which all the fans assumed meant we'd get a long season for a change, instead of just 11 eps, but nooooo, instead it became season 4 and 5, with season 5 only airing in summer 2006. Everybody with a brain would understand that the actors couldn't possibly wait from autumn 2006 (end of shooting) until who-knows-when to hear if the series would get a sixth season, and even if it does (which, personally, I sincerely doubt; season 4 was, IMHO horrible), then indeed, the shooting wouldn't start until 2007, and you cannot expect the actors to wait for over a year to hear if they get to keep their job!

I was a big TDZ fan, but season 4 was such a let-down that right now I couldn't care less if season 5 is the last or not. I almost wish it was; it season 4 was any indication, TDZ already died in season 3.

Elwe Singollo
February 9th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Since its been off the air for such a long time (minus the christmas episode), i too forgot about it.

MarshAngel
February 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I was a big TDZ fan, but season 4 was such a let-down that right now I couldn't care less if season 5 is the last or not. I almost wish it was; it season 4 was any indication, TDZ already died in season 3.

I second that. Season 4 was not good. By the end of season three I was no longer looking forward to each episode. It just became that show that came on after 4400. If it doesn't come back, I won't be upset. The end of the world arc they created was depressing and never moved forward. We haven't learned much of anything about it and I don't think it added anything good to the show.

Darren
February 14th, 2006, 01:11 PM
USA has never treated TDZ like a normal show, with partial-season orders and waiting until all produced episodes have aired before thinking about renewal. Last year was a great sign with a 22-episode order ... then they went and canned the back-half of the season to turn it into a Season 5 and air it a year later (summer 2006). Amazing.

The cast and crew will obviously have to move on. You can't have an 18-month hiatus and jump back into action when USA gets around to ordering more episodes. And TDZ has always performed quite well for them in the ratings.

Season 4 ... Season 4 ... [sigh]. I hate to say it, but if the last batch of episodes is the best they have to offer, I won't miss it much. It used to be a very smartly written series. Seasons 1 and 2 were fantastic television.

Madeleine
February 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know if they've filmed an end, or just loose ends?

GateAngel
February 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I know there are Dead Zone fans here, and I do apologize if this has been already posted, but this article was in the newest edition of TV Guide:

In fact, there's an interesting option floating around the halls of USA: Keep Hall in the Zone and do the show without his costars -Michael Logan

:(

Sorry, but Chris Bruno is just as important to me as AMH is. Walt Bannerman is a very key element in this show.

I've been wondering about the fate TDZ since the death of executive producer Michael Pillar last year. I think you could really see that his influence wasn't there anymore in the last seasons as he was fighting cancer.

I like TDZ, but it was starting to lose its edge.

Marla

MrBright
February 15th, 2006, 03:07 AM
USA has never treated TDZ like a normal show, with partial-season orders and waiting until all produced episodes have aired before thinking about renewal. Last year was a great sign with a 22-episode order ... then they went and canned the back-half of the season to turn it into a Season 5 and air it a year later (summer 2006). Amazing.

The cast and crew will obviously have to move on. You can't have an 18-month hiatus and jump back into action when USA gets around to ordering more episodes. And TDZ has always performed quite well for them in the ratings.

Season 4 ... Season 4 ... [sigh]. I hate to say it, but if the last batch of episodes is the best they have to offer, I won't miss it much. It used to be a very smartly written series. Seasons 1 and 2 were fantastic television.

I aggree with you Darren, USA has not treated the show right as they should have done. And now with John L. Adams, Bruce Lewis on Dead Zone, in a pilot for ABC, and if that gets picked up for a full season, we'll miss the character of Bruce Lewis, who in many fans opinion has been the one of the best things about the series.

The fouth season was awful, dreadfully awful and the only good episodes in that season were the Armageddon episodes.

Here's hoping for a better season 5 !!!

mckaychick
February 24th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I hope the deadzone can have a great season coming up. I love the show and think its really good espcially with the new guy.

TechnoBoY
February 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Thats kinda sad. Show still has lots of potential to grow!

mckaychick
February 25th, 2006, 09:25 AM
yes it does. hopefully usa will give it the chance to grow

Section_One
February 27th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I second that. Season 4 was not good. By the end of season three I was no longer looking forward to each episode. It just became that show that came on after 4400. If it doesn't come back, I won't be upset. The end of the world arc they created was depressing and never moved forward. We haven't learned much of anything about it and I don't think it added anything good to the show.

Honestly that arch and Sean Patrick Flannery's performance was pretty much the only thing that kept me watching. All the other episodes have pretty much been filler to me.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
June 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I'm going to bump this thread since the Season Premiere was tonight. Here's what I though: the ending was shocking.

Commander Jumper
June 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM
oy I know.....the can't do that to Miranda.....that's evil.... :(

Elwe Singollo
June 18th, 2006, 10:55 PM
One word... boo----

happy its finally back though. :)

MarshAngel
June 19th, 2006, 04:46 AM
One word... boo----

happy its finally back though. :)
I'm with you on that. Boo. I just don't care as much as I used to. Johnny never wins these days. It all kind of feels hopeless.

Jonzey
June 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I'm going to bump this thread since the Season Premiere was tonight. Here's what I though: the ending was shocking.
It was. That new guy is really really evil. He makes Stillson seem like a good guy in comparison. And using that fake office thing as a front was kinda creepy and weird.

Was nice to see :hammond: again though.

yaaayoubetcha
June 21st, 2006, 05:48 AM
I thought it was a good ep and should really set the tone for the comming season.

Johnny really needs to be more proactive and they should really dedicate fewer stories to random 'johnny about town' eps and build up a gripping johnny v the mason/illuminati guy.....i forget his character's name right now.

Chricton
June 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
I thought it was a good ep and should really set the tone for the comming season.

Johnny really needs to be more proactive and they should really dedicate fewer stories to random 'johnny about town' eps and build up a gripping johnny v the mason/illuminati guy.....i forget his character's name right now.

They could do that, but there was already talks of seasons 6 and 7 before the show even premiered it's fifth. They need to strentch this stuff out. When is it all supposed to happen 2008? 2009? (Haven't watched the other seasons in a while) If they went two more years I can see them forwarding to that point.

RedGuard
August 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Since the beginning I've viewed Stillson as the anti-christ who was well aware of what he was doing. With season four, I see more and more Stillson is power hungry but not the mad man I thought him to be. Instead its Janus who is pulling his strings. In 'The Hunting Party' Stillson didn't seem all to enthusiastic about what he had to do. Then again he did do it, so he is the enemy, but not the vicious man I saw him to be early on.

aaobuttons
September 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The Dead Zone has been renewed!!!

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700006137

Chricton
September 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM
AWESOME! Two great shows coming back!!!

Sci-Fi
September 18th, 2006, 01:59 PM
The Dead Zone has been renewed!!!

Better enjoy the series while you can. Even though "Dead Zone" was renewed, it's sitting on the borderline for cancellation. Next season may be it's last if the ratings don't improve.

Here's an excerpt from TV Week:

"The Dead Zone" was a tougher call for the network.

The most recent season averaged 2.8 million viewers (1.5 million 18 to 49), which is about even with the channel's median viewership for third quarter and a fall from the series' first-season high of 4.3 million average viewers. The series is important to USA partly because it's paired with similarly supernatural-themed "The 4400" on Sunday nights.

aaobuttons
September 19th, 2006, 06:27 AM
That's okay, the creator of the show (can't remember his name right now) said he just needed one more season to complete the story he'd planned out. :D

Jonzey
September 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I read in another article about its renewal that the creators are planning to radically change it for season 6.

I'm just hoping (since season 5 was filmed as part of season 6 over a year ago) that the actors havn't already found new gigs- they've had a year off working on DZ, and I don't think anyone thought they'd be renewed.

cshawzye
April 8th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Anyone out there still watching & wanting to post about this show?

I'd watched a few episodes here and there but have just started getting back into the whole thing watching the DVDs. The show is awesome. I'm still watching through season one right now, but loving it! :)

petemoretti
June 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Anyone out there still watching & wanting to post about this show?

I'd watched a few episodes here and there but have just started getting back into the whole thing watching the DVDs. The show is awesome. I'm still watching through season one right now, but loving it! :)

I'm half-way through Season 4 but I'm catching up really fast...

prion
June 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Just watched tonight's (June 17th) episode "Heritage" and geez,

They killed Walt! I heard they were making some changes - moving show location to Montreal - perhaps the actor went, nah, staying put (family, etc.)

Bummer though.

Quinn Mallory
June 18th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm not going to bother putting the spoiler alert thing but I just got to voice my disappointment with the new change of direction. Without going to details, this new direction just clumsily undo many of the groundwork laid out (however cumbersomely) in the past two years...much to my dismay.

For an episode that was supposed to be powerful, I felt essentially nothing. I used to think The Dead Zone is one of those show that has some great gems among many blah episodes, now I would be surprised if I like any episode in this season. There has got have been a better way to stir up the show than this.

petemoretti
June 19th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Just watched tonight's (June 17th) episode "Heritage" and geez,

They killed Walt! I heard they were making some changes - moving show location to Montreal - perhaps the actor went, nah, staying put (family, etc.)

Bummer though.

Maybe they will resolve John/Sarah ship by the end of the series! Interestignly enough I don't really care (not like SJ ship on SG)

In S4 Ep8 Teryl and DSD are great!

warmbeachbrat
June 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I was very surprised that they wiped away the coming apocalypse so casually. And I really don't like how they keep hammering poor Purdy.

The episode was quite a surprise to me--I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I guess I'll have to wait until the next couple eps to see exactly what direction they're going....

MarshAngel
June 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I always thought the choice to focus the previous two seasons so heavily on the apocalypse with no resolution or progress was part of the problem. It just weighted down the series and I never got the idea that it was going anywhere.

On the other hand sudden shifts in direction this late in the game rarely work out and almost always lead to cancellation. If they choose not to focus on the apocalypse however, I'll probably wind up watching more episodes than I did last season. I skipped almost the entire season because it just turned into a convoluted mess.

warmbeachbrat
June 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Actually, I'm kind of glad they resolved it (if indeed they have)--I've always felt a wee bit bad for the Stilson character (especially given his background) and didn't really want him to be responsible for such a mess. I'm just surprised they resolved it with a snap of the fingers (so to speak). It's what they've done with Purdy, Walt, etc. that have me a little concerned.

Not to drive the thread off topic or anything, but what are you watching these days, MarshAngel? I'm feeling the lack of sci-fi pretty keenly....:(

MarshAngel
June 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Not to drive the thread off topic or anything, but what are you watching these days, MarshAngel? I'm feeling the lack of sci-fi pretty keenly....:(

I feel it too. I'm watching The 4400 of course and right now there isn't much else so I've been watching Farscape episodes on DVD and I'm about to see The Andromeda strain for the first time. I really do miss that 2005 fall scifi rush. It wasn't all good but I could hardly complain about the lack of.

I wish they'd do more summer scifi short series like The 4400 and The Dead Zone. I think it might work. There's only so much So you think you can dance a girl can watch. :o

warmbeachbrat
June 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Have you heard anything about that new HBO series "John from Cincinnati"?

And Eureka is coming back in a couple of weeks.

Maybe the summer won't be so bad....

warmbeachbrat
July 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
Wow! Tonights ep of The Dead Zone is my favorite yet. I've always thought Stilson was a bit misunderstood. I think it's too bad that Johnny doesn't have a fuller picture of Stilson and his background.

And the full circle of Sarah & Walt's baby and seeing his own newborn child--it was a really nice touch.

MarshAngel
July 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
I did see an ad for something about a 400yr old detective? Sounded interesting to me. Things are definitely looking up.

But on the matter of The Dead Zone, I thought this week's episode was one of the best in a long while. I really enjoyed it. Finally. I'm liking this show again.

MmmmMcKAy
July 2nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
I might give this series a try. As usual, I come to something long after it has started. Amazon sells the seasons pretty cheap.

cshawzye
July 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I might give this series a try. As usual, I come to something long after it has started. Amazon sells the seasons pretty cheap. Definitely try it out. I'm not very far along into it myself. I have the same problem of not getting into a series until it's way into it. Typically only after it's been canceled ... :p But yeah, definitely give this show a try. It's really well done.

MmmmMcKAy
July 3rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah, most of the shows I now love are ones I got into after they were cancelled or on for a few seasons. I don't know what's with me.;)

You've convinced me to try The Dead Zone.:)

cshawzye
July 5th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Yay for giving the show a go! :)

Enjoy!

Quinn Mallory
July 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM
The third episode of the season ("Re-entry") had some redemptive values in it. It's good to see Stilson back and have him work together with Johnny is a nice change of pace (although I would still love for the writers to resurrect/revisit the apocalypse storyline more.

MmmmMcKAy
July 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I bought season 1 today, so I'm committed now.;):)

cshawzye
July 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I bought season 1 today, so I'm committed now.;):) Yay! Can't wait to hear what you think ... The series grabbed me right from the first moment forward.

MmmmMcKAy
July 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I watched episode one last night and wasn't disappointed. I really like Anthony Michael Hall as Johnny. :) I didn't know what to expect with him.

I also like the way Johnny truly experiences his visions and can even stop them to examine them more closely.

The show looks really good too.

So far the show follows the book and film(which I love) pretty closely. There are, of course, a few big differences.

Like little Johnny's paternity, Johnny's father being dead and having the Reverand guy instead

I'm looking forward to episode 2.

warmbeachbrat
July 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I am really liking this season! Last night was another good episode--a little surreal, but still quite good.

sgt.siler
July 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM
LOL

I know...Stargate's about the only one we get shortly after it's aired in the US. Our programs also jump about...One week it'll be a season 2 ep of a show...next week they'll repeat the pilot!

Another thing is that shows like The Dead Zone get ZERO publicity...so we don't know anything about it unless we find something on the net.

I'm at the stage in the Dead Zone where I'm just finding out the characters' names...I'm thinking of reading the Novel too!

There still isn't any publicity on The Dead Zone! What it needs is some serious Scifi fans jumping on the bandwagon to help rally it on. GW members tend to be very wordy when it comes to what they want with a show. Am I right or what? ;)

Chricton
July 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm very pleased with this season. The show was really showing age in season four, and while season five was an improvement, I didn't have much hope for six. But this is turing out to be one of the best seasons IMO. Even though most of the core cast has been written off, I'm amazed at how well everything is working with just three cast members in the mix.

And the Stillson thing is far from over. Remeber that Johnny has had the handshake visions with Stillson stop before only to return after a certain event. They are trying to play him as a good guy this year, and they're doing a great job, but something is going to happen I think that is going to make Stillson go south and fast. Flanery would never have agreed to be part of this season had he known they would just start using him as a friendly neighborhood politician.

That female psychic in season three told Johnny that a big event would happen on midnight of the new year 2009, and I'm still hoping the show gets picked up for one last year so we reach that date, or at last write to it a little closer than we are. The Dead Zone is actually doing better than The 4400 (a first), so chances are decent.

sgt.siler
July 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I'm very pleased with this season. The show was really showing age in season four, and while season five was an improvement, I didn't have much hope for six. But this is turing out to be one of the best seasons IMO. Even though most of the core cast has been written off, I'm amazed at how well everything is working with just three cast members in the mix.

This incredible show has been struggling, possibly due to the fact that it's creator and executive producer Michael Piller became ill and eventually passed away from cancer. It could be so much better and it should. Michael would want it to go out on top of the charts and they need to put it there. If the ratings don't keep going up then it may not be back next year. :(

And the Stillson thing is far from over. Remeber that Johnny has had the handshake visions with Stillson stop before only to return after a certain event. They are trying to play him as a good guy this year, and they're doing a great job, but something is going to happen I think that is going to make Stillson go south and fast. Flanery would never have agreed to be part of this season had he known they would just start using him as a friendly neighborhood politician.

There's nothing better than a good shakeup. Every actor likes to play the bad guy and Flannery does a heck of a job at it. I look foward to seeing what he's really up to.

That female psychic in season three told Johnny that a big event would happen on midnight of the new year 2009, and I'm still hoping the show gets picked up for one last year so we reach that date, or at last write to it a little closer than we are. The Dead Zone is actually doing better than The 4400 (a first), so chances are decent.

Alex was her name. She was able to see through people's emotions. Personally I stopped watching the 4400. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but this season....OY! It was too painful to watch. Maybe I'll give it another try this Sunday and hope that the storyline has picked up the pace a bit.

Chricton
July 18th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Alex was her name. She was able to see through people's emotions. Personally I stopped watching the 4400. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but this season....OY! It was too painful to watch. Maybe I'll give it another try this Sunday and hope that the storyline has picked up the pace a bit.

Actually I'm not talking about Alex. I forget her name, but she was the psychic who saw "numbers" from objects and people from the episode "Total Awareness" in season three (one of my favorite episodes).

sgt.siler
July 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Actually I'm not talking about Alex. I forget her name, but she was the psychic who saw "numbers" from objects and people from the episode "Total Awareness" in season three (one of my favorite episodes).

"Gibson" yes. I had to go look that up. :o It was a good episode.

sgt.siler
July 21st, 2007, 11:11 AM
For anyone interested in the song that played at the end of the episode "Re-Entry" there's a link to it on my wesite. The link is in my sig.

The artist's name is Debra Stillman.
Song title "Middle of it All"

ccdsah
July 31st, 2007, 12:38 AM
Wow the new episode "Numb" was great!

Looks like the show will go out with a bang! Sarah and John become closer and closer!
I suspected the doctor the moment I saw him - the appendix is not on the left side unless you have situs inversus! And usssually the anaesthesia for appendectomy is a spinal one (the pacient is conscious during the operation and afterwards) other then that the episode (especially the twist at the end) was great!
The new sheriff is becoming more and more likable...
Overall a 9 out of 10

MarshAngel
July 31st, 2007, 03:09 AM
Nope... still hate the Sheriff. I just don't believe her in the role.

As for Johnny and Sara...WooT!

sgt.siler
July 31st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Nope... still hate the Sheriff. I just don't believe her in the role.

As for Johnny and Sara...WooT!

Sheriff Turner is boring! We'd get more out of Roscoe if he'd taken Walt's place. She just seems too *****y.

WooT!! :cool:

sgt.siler
July 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
Wow the new episode "Numb" was great!

Looks like the show will go out with a bang! Sarah and John become closer and closer!
I suspected the doctor the moment I saw him - the appendix is not on the left side unless you have situs inversus! And usssually the anaesthesia for appendectomy is a spinal one (the pacient is conscious during the operation and afterwards) other then that the episode (especially the twist at the end) was great!
The new sheriff is becoming more and more likable...
Overall a 9 out of 10

There were so many inconsistancies they could choke a horse. The appendectomy/medical issues asside, there were errors made in reguard to the canon of the show. It was good, but it could've been so much better. The writers dropped the ball and they dropped it hard.

warmbeachbrat
July 31st, 2007, 11:12 PM
I guess I didn't really like the ep at all. Just way too unbelievable--so to speak--for me.

Re: the sheriff--have they said what Walt is being investigated for? I've watched every ep this season and I haven't been able to figure that out....

MarshAngel
August 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM
I don't get the big mystery either. I just don't understand why, this far in, we have no clue what the charge against Walt is?

I have to agree that the general plot of the episode was less than thrilling. It was the first episode of the season I didn't give my full attention to. The only rewarding thing to come out of the whole thing was Johnny and Sara's relationship which even while I'm pleased by it, I find just a little bit disturbing.

Even if it's the harsh truth that Walt was a second choice for Sara, it almost feels like, 'what a relief', now that he's dead we can get back to the way things were supposed to be. It diminishes the importance of Walt and Sara's relationship a little.

warmbeachbrat
August 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
I've only seen three or four episodes of the previous seasons, but I got the definite impression that Sara and Walt loved each other very much and were quite happy together. It does seem like she hasn't mourned him very much. I suppose, though, it could be the way something like that would go--people who are widowed often remarry, or get into a new relationship quite quickly. I guess with Johnny being there and with their history, it might happen.

Like you, I don't like the way they're handling it much and I agree--it seems to toss Walt and Sara's relationship out the window....

Drat! I missed the chance to use the word "defenestrate"!:D

sgt.siler
August 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
I guess I didn't really like the ep at all. Just way too unbelievable--so to speak--for me.

Re: the sheriff--have they said what Walt is being investigated for? I've watched every ep this season and I haven't been able to figure that out....

No they're dragging that storyline out. They're dragging the poor man's good name through the mud. :(

sgt.siler
August 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
I don't get the big mystery either. I just don't understand why, this far in, we have no clue what the charge against Walt is?

I have to agree that the general plot of the episode was less than thrilling. It was the first episode of the season I didn't give my full attention to. The only rewarding thing to come out of the whole thing was Johnny and Sara's relationship which even while I'm pleased by it, I find just a little bit disturbing.

Even if it's the harsh truth that Walt was a second choice for Sara, it almost feels like, 'what a relief', now that he's dead we can get back to the way things were supposed to be. It diminishes the importance of Walt and Sara's relationship a little.

Exactly. They didn't give the man a funeral or show any mourning at all. They just scooted time along by a few months. I think TPTB are trying to rush things along due to budget cuts and the fact that this may very well be the last season.

Darren
August 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
I confess I've only seen about half of the new season so far, so take this comment with a grain of salt. It seems to me that with the new writers, ditching most of the cast and moving to Montreal, The Dead Zone has become a shadow of its former self.

In its early years the show was one of the most original, clever things on television. Johnny didn't just have a supernatural ability -- the writers continually pushed to find new and unexpected ways of looking at people's lives through that ability. Episodes like "Unreasonable Doubt" and "Shaman" and "Precipitate" were expertly done, and proved that this show was extraordinary.

Now the writing is completely pedestrian. It's a predictable, by-the-numbers combo of mystery and drama. Who buried the poor real estate saleman out in the yard? Look out, Johnny! He's got a shovel! Will Johnny be able to save the damsel on the train from her killer and herself? Yawn.

Johnny and Sara finally get to be together? Antithesis of what that relationship triangle has been about for five years.

The key element of the show's premise is no longer a fascinating story-telling device; it's a cookie-cutter plot machine for unimaginative drivel. I'm thinking specifically of the "goodbye" scene at the end of "Switch" ... the scene that was packed with unnecessary dialog and which just would not end. By the time she finally got on that damn train, I wanted to push them both off myself.

MarshAngel
August 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
You know... now that you remind me, I have to correct myself. This last one was the second episode I didn't pay much attention to. I dodn't even watch "Switch". It was on, I just didn't consider it worthwhile. I hate filler and that was of the worst kind. The plot didn't appeal to me from the first few mins.

sgt.siler
August 3rd, 2007, 04:57 AM
I confess I've only seen about half of the new season so far, so take this comment with a grain of salt. It seems to me that with the new writers, ditching most of the cast and moving to Montreal, The Dead Zone has become a shadow of its former self.

In its early years the show was one of the most original, clever things on television. Johnny didn't just have a supernatural ability -- the writers continually pushed to find new and unexpected ways of looking at people's lives through that ability. Episodes like "Unreasonable Doubt" and "Shaman" and "Precipitate" were expertly done, and proved that this show was extraordinary.

Now the writing is completely pedestrian. It's a predictable, by-the-numbers combo of mystery and drama. Who buried the poor real estate saleman out in the yard? Look out, Johnny! He's got a shovel! Will Johnny be able to save the damsel on the train from her killer and herself? Yawn.

Johnny and Sara finally get to be together? Antithesis of what that relationship triangle has been about for five years.

The key element of the show's premise is no longer a fascinating story-telling device; it's a cookie-cutter plot machine for unimaginative drivel. I'm thinking specifically of the "goodbye" scene at the end of "Switch" ... the scene that was packed with unnecessary dialog and which just would not end. By the time she finally got on that damn train, I wanted to push them both off myself.

No you're absolutely correct. It's like they're not even trying to write a decent episode. It's an absolute slap in the face to the fans and to the show itself.

"Interred" IMO was the worst episode this season. The partner being the guilty one was so predictable! What did showing the sheriff's past have to do with Johnny? Nothing. This is possibly the last season and they're wasting an episode on digging into Sheriff Turner's past. *shakes head*

They could've done so much with the last episode "Numb", but instead they numbed it's viewers with predictiblity and canon flaws. I was frozen in a WTF state the entire episode.

*does Comic Book Guy(from The Simpsons) impression* "Worst season ever*

Btw....Nice to see you're a fan Darren. At least the first 5 seasons anyways. ;)

Darren
August 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
I completely missed all of Season Five, so I am now compensating for Season Six by Netflixing Season Five. :) The premiere was quite satisfying (and I love Laura Harris, who I got to meet in Vancouver a few years ago).

warmbeachbrat
August 6th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I'm afraid I have to agree--the last couple of episodes haven't been all that wonderful. It pains me to admit it, but maybe the apocalypse storyline might have had some merit. Although--I did enjoy last night's episode. It was a bit different and came at Johnny's ability from an angle I didn't expect. Still--the help-the-damsel-in-distress shtick is wearing thin for me.

Darren, my daughter and I have been huge fans of Laura Harris ever since "Fifteen" (hmm--oddly enough, that's been about fifteen years ago....).

cshawzye
August 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I'm kind of sad to hear that things go a little south for the show. I'm just in the middle of season 2 and absolutely loving everything about the show.

It's upsetting to hear that several members of the original cast are out. Things like that tend to bother me and make me switch off a show. Especially after so many episodes of getting to know and love the characters ... Oh well, don't want to dissuade myself from watching the rest of it just yet.

Darren
August 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM
"Outcome" last night was a definite step back in the right direction. I think they did a much better job trying to recover the anti-formula "formula" that the show used to have, where you never really knew what to expect out of a vision and Johnny's use of his visions.

Unfortunately I think it was tainted by some dumb mis-steps: Johnny knows better than to read assumptions into who is doing what in his visions. Seeing a man standing in the blast zone with some sort of electronic controller is a LONG way from him being a bomber. Johnny knows better.

muddyalcapones
August 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
...and I ended up watching an hour long commercial for Visa. Was anyone else bothered by all of the blatant product placement?

Promethius30
August 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
...and I ended up watching an hour long commercial for Visa. Was anyone else bothered by all of the blatant product placement?

I know what you mean i dont mind some thing in background every now and then but when they mension a product it does bother me
we have to wait throght adverts in between brakes so we dont need during the show

Darren
August 20th, 2007, 11:30 PM
TV Squad blogged about this:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/08/20/the-dead-zone-drift/

muddyalcapones
August 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM
well good then, I'm not the only one who was bothered. :P

MarshAngel
August 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM
I would probably have been bothered but the episode was too dull to even watch.

Zatarc
August 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Of course you've all got Visa cards now, don't you? :D

HyperCaz
August 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Visa PWNS ^_^

But it has absolutely no place in the Dead Zone, unless Johnny finds a way to use other people's accounts and scam money. :D

brianw108
September 14th, 2007, 02:22 PM
It didn't bother me. In fact it was only 5 total minutes of the hour long show! But it revealed why Johnny uses Cards instead of cash. When he touches cash he gets to many visions....nice, fluid use of a product. Dont over exaggerate!

Zatarc
September 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM
It didn't bother me. In fact it was only 5 total minutes of the hour long show! But it revealed why Johnny uses Cards instead of cash. When he touches cash he gets to many visions....nice, fluid use of a product. Dont over exaggerate!

Seems lke a valid reason, but why use a credit card when there's EFTPOS? SOoo much more convenient and you're not stuck in the credit card trap jsut for the sake of the convenience

Dumper
September 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Now if he wore some nice thick gloves it might help solve the cash problem. :)

MarshAngel
September 17th, 2007, 04:42 AM
This lst episode really seemed like it could have been the series finale and I kind of feel like it should be. I had hopes for this season that the show didn't meet. Admittedly the finale was one of the better episodes of the season but looking over the touching moments I felt like there were some holes and poor plotting over the entire season which became more obvious at the end. On the up side....the Sheriff was absent.

Angela V
October 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Okay this is at Canadian stores but Americans should check too just in case :)

Future Shop and Best Buy have seasons 1-4 at $16.99. Season 5 is $26.99 at FF and $29.99 at BB. I bought seasons 2-5 to catch up:) and also found the 1983 movie for $9.99 which i love just for Christopher Walken!

I did some price checking of other stores over the internet and it looks like $16.99 is a great deal!
My local Rogers Video had previously viewed season 2 for $29.99 and season 3 for $17 something. I think not! :)
Though I am hoping more sci-fi/fantasy tv shows come down in price in Canada. Expensive shows like Doctor Who considering I have to deal with the cut versions to fit in CBC's timeslot. :)

Oreo
October 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Is this because they added huge VISA ads to the boxes? ;)

Gen. Chris
November 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM
So I have a feeling this thread may die but since I couldn't find any thread devoted to this show, I decided to go for it.

The Dead Zone ran from 2002 to 2007 on the USA Network, for anyone who doesn't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_Zone_(TV_series)#Plot

I didn't get into the show except for casual viewing of reruns until about midway into its fifth season, mainly because I never bothered watching it even though it aired the same night as The 4400 (which I loved). But I got hooked. When it was cancelled along with the 4400 I was crushed. About a year later Ion Television began airing it from the beginning and I started watching, but about a month or two into it they stopped running it.

Fast forward to last year when I started using Amazon...I was thinking "Hey, that show I never really had a chance to watch...Dead Zone!" Looked it up, the most expensive season was around $11. I bought them all slowly (I got the fifth season brand new for $3) and now own them all.

Watching them was fun, and I watched them with my girlfriend as well as my roommate, and both of them enjoyed it as well. It's sad that it never got any more seasons, but it was a good show while it lasted.

Any other fans of this show on here?

Krisz
November 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I really liked the movie with Christopher Walken as Johnny Smith.

I wondered what more they could do with that idea in a TV show but I gave it a go and was hooked straight away when it began airing in the UK. I lost track of it for about a year after moving to Canada in 2005, but the SPACE channel was showing it so I caught up.

Anthony Michael Hall made a great Johnny Smith and I loved looking forward to what he would see when he touched someone. Nicole de Boer as the girl he loved but lost was great too. I enjoyed her performance as Ezri Dax in DS9, so it was great to see her again.

Had a few Stargate 'faces' in it too. Greg Stillson 'Orlin' from SG-1's 'Ascension' and Gary Chalk 'Colonel Chekov' turned in a good performance as Stillson's overbearing father.

One of the more interesting bizarre episodes was the one where he had to have blood transfusions and it turned out the blood was from different people. He ended up seeing things about these strangers and one of them was going to be killed.

I re-watched the whole series about a year ago, and still revisit my favourite episodes on odd occasions.

Gen. Chris
November 9th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I really liked the movie with Christopher Walken as Johnny Smith.

One of the more interesting bizarre episodes was the one where he had to have blood transfusions and it turned out the blood was from different people. He ended up seeing things about these strangers and one of them was going to be killed.

I re-watched the whole series about a year ago, and still revisit my favourite episodes on odd occasions.

I still have yet to watch the movie...but that is welcomed here as well.

The blood transfusion episode was REALLY interesting cause it kept you guessing until the very end and tied up all the side stories at the end.

Angela V
November 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I became a fan about a year before it was canceled. I didn't get Space at that time but ended up buying the DVDs and getting hooked. I adored Hall in those teen movies and liked the Dead Zone movie so it was a blind buy for season 1.

Krisz
November 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Perhaps a re-watch might be fun if people have time. :)

Gen. Chris
November 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Dead Zone Re-watch? I would totally do it if I had time and if I didn't have other shows I need to watch...Lol

Gen. Chris
November 14th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Huh...I guess I didn't go back far enough checking. My thread was merged :P

Angela V
November 18th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Huh...I guess I didn't go back far enough checking. My thread was merged :P

So that's what happened! I was shocked to see a post from me in 2007 when I thought I just posted in a new thread.

I would love to do a DZ rewatch but alas I'm still on Buffy and some others.

Gen. Chris
November 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
So that's what happened! I was shocked to see a post from me in 2007 when I thought I just posted in a new thread.

Yeah, I need to try out Buffy eventually.

I just watched DZ over the summer, so I'm good for now on a rewatch...Plus we would need to get more people :p

yessika
November 29th, 2011, 05:34 AM

I'm currently doing a Buffy rewatch as well but I would love to do a DZ rewatch because I'm not sure I've watched all the episodes...