This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Dart Transporters?

Okay we have seen the wraith darts take on and drop of a handful of poeple, however they don't look big enough to me to carry that many people. Could the darts keep them in somesort of data storage?

Second when people do matrialize would they still have any weapons or tech that isn't wraith made. Or could it possably stun you. If not why didnt summner and teyla try and take the wraith once on the hive ship.
    Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

I was thinking the samething when I saw the Wraith darts pick up dozens of people at a clip, yet there ships look barely big enough to hold more than a few. Although the Puddle Jumpers (McKays GateShips ) look like they can only hold a few people yet they cram a dozen or so if they have to in them.

Maybe the Wraith's are beaming the people dirctly to a hive mother ship, instead of into the actual Dart?.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

i'm sure the Wraith aren't too concerned with the comfort of their passengers, so they can probably squeeze half a dozen or so in, but I assumed they have a 'mother ship' that they transport people too via their Dart ships.

As for their weapons, Sure they would have them, it would make sense for the beams to dematerialise matter on one end, then re-materialise it on the other end. Weapons are matter aren't they?

Comment

Maybe it's a bit like the teleportation beam used in urgo because that disarmed them if i remember right. or maybe it just teleports the "traveller" to the hive ship and renders them unconscience where their weapons are removed by a wraith soldier.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/s...aithdart.shtml

Personally, I think that the passengers are stored as energy, like an event horizon. Hey, the wraith language is a derivitive of Ancient, who says they havn't stolen any tech?
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
          LANDRY
          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

their beaming technology is actually pretty primitive. it doesnt seem to lock on to targets, just sweep by and pick up everything in their path so i think its probably unlikely it disarms them, but it probably renders people unconciouss. the darts seem to be about the same size as the jumpers so id imagine that they would hold about the same amount of people. as far as the whole storing them as energy thing goes, i dont think so. that seems, to me at least, a bit to advanced for what we have seen of their beaming technology. what we really need to see for a decent appraisel of their beaming technology is to see how advanced the Ancients in pegasus' beaming technology was since it has been implied that they may have gotten their tech at least partially from the Ancients

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race

Maybe the Wraith's are beaming the people dirctly to a hive mother ship, instead of into the actual Dart?.
              Sounds about right, and logical.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

It is possible that they could store them as energy, but they don't beam them directly to the hive ship, because in some cases, like rising part two, there isn't a hive ship there.

I don't think that there is enough space in the darts to hold all of those people. Even though the Puddle Jumper is small it is also cylidrical, and pretty much has constant dimensions. The Wraith Dart slopes to the front, and by the shape of it, it does look like it could only hold a couple people.

Owen Macri

Comment

They probably made the beam sweep so that they could pick up multiple people at once.

Originally posted by spg_1983
                  their beaming technology is actually pretty primitive. it doesnt seem to lock on to targets, just sweep by and pick up everything in their path so i think its probably unlikely it disarms them, but it probably renders people unconciouss. the darts seem to be about the same size as the jumpers so id imagine that they would hold about the same amount of people. as far as the whole storing them as energy thing goes, i dont think so. that seems, to me at least, a bit to advanced for what we have seen of their beaming technology. what we really need to see for a decent appraisel of their beaming technology is to see how advanced the Ancients in pegasus' beaming technology was since it has been implied that they may have gotten their tech at least partially from the Ancients

Comment

I have to say that I subscribe to the theory the wraith beaming works similarly to Ancient gate or transporter tech. It obviously isn't as advanced, given that it simply sweeps up but it doesn't seem too different which makes it plausible to me that the Wraith stole and hacked Ancient devices.

Other than that the Wraith technology in general seems pretty advanced given that they seem to only be in Pegasus galaxy and that the most advanced races they've encountered would be us from Earth and previousy the Ancients. Yet they obviously haven't got all of it from the Ancients technology otherwise they probably wouldn't have such inefficient hyperdrives compared to those on Atlantis.

An interesting twist on how and why the Wraith might have advanced and even got some Ancient like tech would be that they not only such life but memories and knowledge. Complete speculation but it could explain a few things.

Comment

I disagree that the Wraith Transporter technology is primitve. You are all assuming that because it sweeps and doesn't lock onto people that it is primitve. However I do not believe that this is the case, the Wraith Transporters sweep not because they don't have more advanced technology, but because it is more efficient for what they are using them for.

Darts are commonly used simply to pick up food, if they had to lock onto people it would deffinetly take longer, and it might be difficult if they wern't moving, they would also need more advanced sensors which are of no use other than transporting people, if the transporters sweep, they can just come in find a group of people, sweep through, and be gone, it is easier and more effective.

If, for example the Wraith commonly beamed out of the Darts onto the surface, then, perhaps "locking transporters" may become a possibility, however they don't. It is far easier just to fly in and pick people up rather than find people, get a positive lock, which would be difficult on a moving target, not to mention they would need more advanced sensors, they might also only be able to beam up so many people, with sweepin technology, theoretically they can beam up incredibly large groups of people, until the buffer is full. Why do it the hard way when the easy way is just as good if not beter.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                        I disagree that the Wraith Transporter technology is primitve. You are all assuming that because it sweeps and doesn't lock onto people that it is primitve. However I do not believe that this is the case, the Wraith Transporters sweep not because they don't have more advanced technology, but because it is more efficient for what they are using them for.

Darts are commonly used simply to pick up food, if they had to lock onto people it would deffinetly take longer, and it might be difficult if they wern't moving, they would also need more advanced sensors which are of no use other than transporting people, if the transporters sweep, they can just come in find a group of people, sweep through, and be gone, it is easier and more effective.

If, for example the Wraith commonly beamed out of the Darts onto the surface, then, perhaps "locking transporters" may become a possibility, however they don't. It is far easier just to fly in and pick people up rather than find people, get a positive lock, which would be difficult on a moving target, not to mention they would need more advanced sensors, they might also only be able to beam up so many people, with sweepin technology, theoretically they can beam up incredibly large groups of people, until the buffer is full. Why do it the hard way when the easy way is just as good if not beter.

Owen Macri
                        how do you figure chasing people down and sweeping them up is better? its slow and inefficient and if someone is nimble enough they can avoid it like teyla did by tackling ford oiut of the way in "Rising" now beaming technology would be much more efficient, especially for their needs. the hive ships arrive in orbit and deploy darts. the people dont see this because they are primitive. the darts descend using the advanced scanners you say are worthless, and identify which are the most choice subjects. they lock on and beam all they want on board before the humans panic and scatter and the entire operation is done in a matter ogf a half an hour, hour tops, not the day long chase the humans around through the woods crap they do now.

Comment

That is true, however that idea would be far more effective if the darts just came through hovered above somewhere and beamed people in, however this would take longer. The darts would have to come through, find a good position, hover, search for people with the sensors that are not necesary, then beam them up, and got back through the gate. With the sweeping transporters, they can just come through the gate, activate thier sweepers, fly over the villages a couple times and go back through the gate, no stopping at all. And my previous point that the more advanced sensors, the more advanced unecesary sensors, are just another thing they have to build, like I said before why do it the hard way...

Also, a little off topic, but it is nice to have sweeping sensors for a change, in star trek and stuff they all just beam people up from orbit, the Wraith are more "hands on," pun intended.

Also the Asgard use sweeping transporter to beam up the Goa'uld, they are a little more advanced the differentiate between Goa'ulds and humans, like the device that transports to the hammer. The Asgard use sweeping sensors because they are more effective for thier purpose, they scan the people also, they just seem more effective than traditional beaming transporters.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                            the darts descend using the advanced scanners you say are worthless, and identify which are the most choice subjects.
                            you want the "choice speicimins" to survive to add their genectic makeup to the population theirby making better "tasting" humans if you beam all the choice speicimins away the less tasty remainder will be left and overtime become horrible tasting due to all the supeirior genes being removed every few generations while the "sludge" remains IMHO (BTW i'd be sludge)

Comment

You would definetly have to leave some, choice specimens, however, there would always be poeple more "choice" than others. What I believe spg_1983 means by "choice specimens" is young, healthy people compared to old, dying people.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X