This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it made out of?

what are the promethius/daedelus' windows made out of?
    in within the serpents grasp ...
    CARTER: "The blast spread across this area like there was glass here. This is a force field of some sort."

TEAL'C: "That is correct. There is no transparent material capable of withstanding this velocity."

CARTER: "Or temporal displacement. Were traveling faster then light right?"
    MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
    I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Im not sure anyone knows, they may have forgotten about that episodes quotation so who knows. No seriously does anyone know.
    'Where did you get this'- Wraith Queen
    'I don't remember'- Major Sheppard - Rising (part 2)

'I don’t know if you noticed or not, but I’m an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all of his plans will work.' - McKay - The Eye

Comment

On the other hand, Carter was somewhat wrong about that wasn't she? Feel free to correct my theory but, from what I gather, they weren't physically travelling at ten times the speed of light, but instead through hyperspace. I assume that makes a difference.

Even if there were no material capable of withstanding those speeds wouldn't that area need to be covered with some material anyway so you wouldn't have to expend energy on a forcefield (and have a gaping hole in your ship) when you're sitting still in space? So let's say for the sake of argument, it's made of really special glass, then you'd still need a force field outside that anyway wouldn't you? Who's to say that the rest of the ship could hold up to those speeds anyway? Having a forcefield does not preculde there being transparent windows; it seems it actually makes it possible.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I agree with MarshAngel. I do believe they are some sort of transparent material, but there is some kind of generate shielding rippling over the surface on the outside.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
        - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Transparent Naquadah.
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
            Transparent Naquadah.
            That's gotta be the only logical explanation that fits in with the story as well

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
            - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
            - "I'm taking this loop off..."
            - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
            - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
            - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

First of all no matter can travel at the speed of light, let alone, ten times that. It would take all of the energy in the universe and then some, to propell matter at the speed of light, which would make it impossible to propell matter at the speed of light, and even if you could by some sort of magic that matter would gain infinite mass, therfore, infinite gravity as well, and everything in the universe, including the universe itself would be "sucked" into the matter in question. But let's say for the sake of argument that they were traveling that fast.

Carter was right and wrong at the same time, no transparent material can withstand traveling at those speeds, but that is only within an atmosphere. In space there is no air, the only reason no transparent materials can withstand that speed is becuase there would be air pushing against it, there would be incredible pressure on the transparent matterial, in space, there would be no pressure because there would be nothing to push upon it.

Owen Macri

Comment

Sure you can't go faster than light in this universe.

The 'this universe' bit is the operative word of course.

Subspace and wormholes commonly use the same analogy to explain themselves, the old 'ant walks across the branch and it bends' story.

None of this actually requires Uber-fast ships (although getting out of the atmosphere would take a bit more juice than we currently have at our disposal).
                [email protected]
                http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                One nation under dog
                There of which I stand alone
                A face in the crowd
                Unsung, against the mold
                Without a doubt
                Singled out
                The only way I know

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say could you please clarify. By this universe do you mean space compared to subspace, or real life, compared to Stargate?

I think I know what you are trying to say with the subspace thing.

I'm not sure what your last paragraph is trying to say,

Originally posted by Jprime
                  (although getting out of the atmosphere would take a bit more juice than we currently have at our disposal).
                  We have sufficient power to reach escape velocity.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                  X