PDA

View Full Version : Zat guns... drool

xerroll
May 2nd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Is anyone else completely awed by the coolness of the Zat guns and the staff weapons, heck even the ships are awesome lookin'

Hywel
May 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
Yeah, they do look nice.

http://img143.echo.cx/img143/7735/untitled4oq.jpg
*Thunk* :p

Thor's Gunner
May 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM
There is someone on this thread who has a ZAT gun, his screen name thing is Ben.

_Owen_
May 6th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Yes, Zats aren't that hard to find, lots of places sell them, I was at a convention last year and there was a guy there from a company that sold stuff from SG-1, I picked up a sheet with there information but I can't remeber where I put it, if I find it I will repost. Along with Zats they also sell mini stargates, both ones with lights that make sounds and ones that don't, they sell staff weapons, with are nine or ten feet in length, and T.E.R.s. However if you want to find a Zat that opens and closes, it will be a little harder, the man at the convention told me that on the set of SG-1, they only have a couple, and they break all of the time, that is why they don't sell ones that open.

Owen Macri

TheUniqueDrone
May 8th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Why don't they ever use the disintegration feature of the Zats? I would imagine that this feature would be extremely useful in many situations, but the writers (or whoever is responsible for scripting the battle scenes) never utilise this feature.

_Owen_
May 8th, 2005, 10:40 AM
You are right in many situations it would be useful such as a surgical attack, when they don't want anyone to know that they are there, but many times they don't. The reason for this is because it is just another special effect that they need to pay for, if in every episode they disintegrated five people, that is 970 people disintegrated for the entire series, including season nine, I don't now how much that effect costs but that is 970 effects, that they don't need, that just cost more money, that is not worth it. I believe that it is a simple cost of money.

Owen Macri

TheUniqueDrone
May 8th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but it does all simplify down to the cost :(. Still, they are cool guns anyway :).

_Owen_
May 8th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Oh ya!

Owen Macri

AncientKnowledge
May 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but it does all simplify down to the cost :(. Still, they are cool guns anyway :).

Oh YES! I would have to agree! I would love to have a Zat,then again I would REALLY like to have a Staff Weapon!!!

Spimman
May 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I was just posting on another thread about this, but I wish we used more Zat guns in the field...so much more effective than machine guns...or atleats we could mix the technology with our own and make better guns! :confused:

_Owen_
May 12th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Sorry everyone, I am still trying to find the paper with the company and merchandise information on it. Then if you want a Zat or a Staff Weapon or a T.E.R. or a working gate, or non working gate (these are miniatures) you can buy one. Warning the Staff Weapons are ten feet in length!!

Owen Macri

Nurgle
May 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Sorry everyone, I am still trying to find the paper with the company and merchandise information on it. Then if you want a Zat or a Staff Weapon or a T.E.R. or a working gate, or non working gate (these are miniatures) you can buy one. Warning the Staff Weapons are ten feet in length!!

Owen Macri
A company that sells WORKING gates?!?!?!

6thMonolith
May 12th, 2005, 03:40 PM
A company that sells WORKING gates?!?!?!

Man, I want one of those :P

I think Owen Macri means ones that light up and make noises.

_Owen_
May 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Ya, it doesn't actually work, waht I mean by "working," is the chevrons light up and it makes dialing noises, sorry for the confusion, lol.

Owen Macri

P.S. You guys can call me Owen.

_Owen_
May 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I actually, couldn't find the papers I was looking for, however a quick google search helped me locate the company. It is called Lightspeed Fine Arts Inc. this is a link to the props section of the website http://www.lightspeedfineart.com/Props.html the have Zats, Staff Weapons, Working and Non-Working Stargates, As well as the Transphase Eradication Rod. In addition to this they sell autographed and non-autographed posters and pictures. All of the models are life sized, based on the exact dimensions, shapes, and apearances of the props used in the show, other than the models of the Stargates which are to scale with the real gates used in the show, or at least the main one that they keep in the base. The gate is 1/25th scale.

I hope I could help,

Owen Macri

QuiGonJohn
May 13th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I'm fairly new to Stargate so bear with me.

Although I have been watching the DVD's from Season 1, in order, (I'm finishing Season 3 now), I did see a good portion of Season 8 when it aired.

In it, they have alien weapons which seem a lot like Zats, except, instead of expanding vertically for use, as the Zat does, these seem to come up, (or rotate up), from the side. What are those? If they are Zats, what is the difference? Are these other ones the Mark II version or something?

Also I agree. Any time it would be helpful for there not to be dead bodies lying around for enemies to find, they should be using the 3 shots. Now if the enemy knows you're there and it's a firefight, not needed. The other nice thing about zats is that you can just use when shot, in case you're not sure that who your shooting could be a friendly. Like in Foothold. Before Sam & Teal'c knew that these were aliens posing as SG personnel, a single zat shot would take them out of commission, yet not kill them. In case they were actually our people, but under some kind of control.

Crazedwraith
May 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Why don't they ever use the disintegration feature of the Zats? I would imagine that this feature would be extremely useful in many situations, but the writers (or whoever is responsible for scripting the battle scenes) never utilise this feature.
Mainly because TPTB feel its cheesy and it was only invented to aviod haveing to work around a body in one scene. The only time I feel ti served a useful purpose was 1969, whcih was th last time they did it.

Remember the three shots stick in "Wormhole X-treme" thats what they were saying with it.

Zat however are cool. silly third shot not withstanding.

dennycrane
May 13th, 2005, 04:52 PM
don't mock the third shot trick, many disasters could have been avoided woth it. Take a minute to imagine the world we would live in if such "undesirables" of society would just disapear, like for instance: Paula Jones, the tape from the watergate scandal, pee-wee herman, and pink bunnies(a shiver just went through my spine) the world would be a better place.

_Owen_
May 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I'm fairly new to Stargate so bear with me.

Although I have been watching the DVD's from Season 1, in order, (I'm finishing Season 3 now), I did see a good portion of Season 8 when it aired.

In it, they have alien weapons which seem a lot like Zats, except, instead of expanding vertically for use, as the Zat does, these seem to come up, (or rotate up), from the side. What are those? If they are Zats, what is the difference? Are these other ones the Mark II version or something?

Also I agree. Any time it would be helpful for there not to be dead bodies lying around for enemies to find, they should be using the 3 shots. Now if the enemy knows you're there and it's a firefight, not needed. The other nice thing about zats is that you can just use when shot, in case you're not sure that who your shooting could be a friendly. Like in Foothold. Before Sam & Teal'c knew that these were aliens posing as SG personnel, a single zat shot would take them out of commission, yet not kill them. In case they were actually our people, but under some kind of control.

I have absolutly no idea which weapon you are talking about, could you name an episode in which they are used, so I can check them out.

As for the three shots, it is strategically sound to disintegrate enemies, especialy during a surgical attack, or when not wanting to be noticed, yet many times they are left, unconcious, in the middle of hallways. I believe it comes down to the cost, and besides, if everyone got disintegrated there would be no one to pop up and bite you in the rear-end, when you aren't looking or when there is ten minutes left and the shows plot has already been concluded.

Owen Macri

QuiGonJohn
May 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I think I saw those in Prometheus Unbound, but not really sure. I will keep a close watch and the first episode I see these in, I will let you know.

_Owen_
May 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Ok. Is it possible that you are just confusing zats for these, I don't remeber a weapon like this, other than the ribbon device, which spirals down onto the forearm. But I do not belive this is what you are talking about.

Owen Macri

QuiGonJohn
May 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
No, definitely not the ribbon device. This was hand held, like a pistol. And when they would get ready to use it, the main part seemed to rotate up from the side, like 90 degrees. Maybe I'm wrong, it's possible. But I could swear I saw them several times and wondered about it, even before I knew about Zats.

_Owen_
May 14th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Really, I can't think of any weapon used in either SG-1 or Atlantis that fits that discription. Can you think of something in real life that opens the same way that it does or looks the same as it or similar?

Owen Macri

UhSir
May 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know the maximum amount of time between shots for the shots to be considered "sequential?" :eek: I'm confusing myself.

For example, many times someone has shot an opponent with a Zat then threatened to deliver a second shot (the kill shot) unless [fill in the blank]. But Daniel has been shot umpteen times and hasn't been killed. So, there must be a time-limit between shots. :S Boy, I don't know if that's any more clear.

This is just a little question that keeps nagging at me. I figure there is a determinate amount of time and maybe they even mentioned it on the show, but I don't remember hearing it. But sometimes I get as muddle-headed as Jack when Sam gets talking, so I could have missed it. :o

_Owen_
May 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I know what you are asking. It has never been established in the show but it is reasonable to assume that it will only kill them before they have fully recovered. When they are hit, the electrical discharge hurts them, they fall to the ground and roll around a bit, if you shoot them between the time of the first shot, and when they are able to stand back up, it seems reasonable to assume that it will kill them.

However there is no evidence for me to base this on, the only way we will know for sure is if they tell us in the show.

Owen Macri

UhSir
May 17th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks Owen. That's pretty much how I think of it. I wonder why anyone on SG-1 would get nervous about this threat when they just have to wait for the shot to wear off. But that sort of thinking would be like telling a mobster, "You cut his finger off. So what!? He's got nine more."

_Owen_
May 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Lol, that is a good comparison!

Owen Macri