PDA

View Full Version : Best "Daniel the Hero" episode?

Madeleine
May 1st, 2005, 10:40 PM
This poll will stay up for a week or so. Or until I get around to doing the next poll, whichever is later :p

When the heats are all done, the winners in each will get put into a final.

CKO
May 2nd, 2005, 05:32 AM
but theres so many good danny eps too :) hard to pick just one :D

DJFavorite
May 2nd, 2005, 05:41 AM
Even though I knew we were going to be doing this, and I've been thinking about it, it still was tough to choose. I ended up going with Reckoning Pt 2, though Full Circle came in a close second. I don't know, I think the Welcome to Danny's World quote did it for me. :D

Captain-Peregrine
May 2nd, 2005, 06:33 AM
It is so close between Reckong Part II and Meridian.

wraith816
May 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
It is so close between Reckong Part II and Meridian.
Totally. I chose "Meridian" though. It's such a beautiful episode, makes me cry every time. :S

Lida
May 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM
Although I voted for Meridian, I have to say it's a tie with Reckoning, Pt.II. Loved them both and thought he did a fantastic job in both. :)

Fanwoman
May 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Although not necessarily his most heroic, I've always thought the Unas episodes are quintessential Daniel episodes. Yay for plots with linguistics and anthropology saving the day! :)

MartoufMarty
May 2nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Eee... A little hard to choose between Meridian and Reckoning Part II, but I finally chose Reckoning Part II.

He was awesome in that episode.

Dani347
May 2nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
Um, can you change your vote? I missed the Hero part and just saw Best Daniel Episode. So, I picked Enemy Mine, because out of all of the ones here, I thought it captured the essential Daniel-ness of him. But, I'm not sure I'd pick it as a hero episode.

Oh, well, even if I can't change it, Enemy Mine isn't a bad episode to pick, and he did save the day.

Seshat
May 2nd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Hmmm...this is tough!

In Serpents Lair Daniel helps save the Earth. And, he dies.
In Meridian he saves a whole planet. And, he dies. (Well, to all intents and purposes.)
In Scorched Earth he saves a planet's population AND an entire alien civilization. (Doesn't die though.)
While in Reckoning Part 2 he helps save a whole GALAXY, AND dies.

I vote for Reckoning Part 2! :D

Hex.FTB.enabled
May 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Even though I knew we were going to be doing this, and I've been thinking about it, it still was tough to choose. I ended up going with Reckoning Pt 2, though Full Circle came in a close second. I don't know, I think the Welcome to Danny's World quote did it for me. :D
Took the words right out of my mouth. It was the Danny's World quote. :)

MMTripBobSally
May 2nd, 2005, 07:50 PM
I already voted, but I wasn't sure if I was suposed to go for the best episode in the bunch, or the episode that showed Daniel being a hero the best...
So I chose Meridian, because the first time I watched it I got all teary at the beginging when Daniel came around the cornor yelling "Don't touch me", because of the thought that he's gonna die, and he can't even touch anyone was real real real real real real real real real sad....

blingaway
May 2nd, 2005, 08:04 PM
In Meridian he saves a whole planet. And, he dies. (Well, to all intents and purposes.)
In Scorched Earth he saves a planet's population AND an entire alien civilization. (Doesn't die though.)

I like your reasoning Ses! :p

I voted Meridian, because he knew full well what he was about to do would cause him to die horribly. In the others Ses mentions, death was a distinct possibility (for Daniel, when is it not? :p ), and he's always been willing to work under the shadow of the Reaper. But in Meridian, he made a conscious choice to give his life so the rest may live. That makes Meridian my choice for Best Hero Daniel Episode.

Seshat
May 2nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
I like your reasoning Ses! :p

I voted Meridian, because he knew full well what he was about to do would cause him to die horribly. In the others Ses mentions, death was a distinct possibility (for Daniel, when is it not? :p ), and he's always been willing to work under the shadow of the Reaper. But in Meridian, he made a conscious choice to give his life so the rest may live. That makes Meridian my choice for Best Hero Daniel Episode.
See, this is why I was lobbying for a "Best Death" poll as well. :p I think that Meridian has the best, and saddest, death scene. Made me cry, too. :(

I believed that Daniel knew there could be no other outcome for himself but death by the end of Reckoning. Whereas he knew (and we knew) from the beginning of Meridian. That he was helping to save the entire galaxy was what tilted the scales to Reckoning for me. But like I said, it was a really tough choice. Lots of good reasons all over the place for most of the eps listed.

Can't wait to see how many times he'll die in Season 9! Maybe we should start a contest? ;)

MMTripBobSally
May 2nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
LOL! that's a great idea, number of times Daniel will die contest! :D perfect!

DJFavorite
May 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
See, this is why I was lobbying for a "Best Death" poll as well. :p I think that Meridian has the best, and saddest, death scene. Made me cry, too. :(

I believed that Daniel knew there could be no other outcome for himself but death by the end of Reckoning. Whereas he knew (and we knew) from the beginning of Meridian. That he was helping to save the entire galaxy was what tilted the scales to Reckoning for me. But like I said, it was a really tough choice. Lots of good reasons all over the place for most of the eps listed.

Can't wait to see how many times he'll die in Season 9! Maybe we should start a contest? ;)

Well, I don't know how many times he will die but, he gets whumped at least twice, according to Michael at the Vancouver con.

Madeleine
May 2nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
I already voted, but I wasn't sure if I was suposed to go for the best episode in the bunch, or the episode that showed Daniel being a hero the best...

Also to Dani:

It's up to you. When this poll is done there'll be a "Best Daniel the Explorer / Scholar episode" poll, then "Best Loopy Daniel ep" then another.... And at the end, all the winners & honourable mentions will get put in an uberpoll to find the BEST DANIEL EPISODE OF ALL :D

Madeleine
May 2nd, 2005, 10:47 PM
See, this is why I was lobbying for a "Best Death" poll as well. :p

That might still happen :). Most eps are in single categories, but there are already a couple with entries in more than ome poll. All of his deaths are already in various polls, but I might shove them into another later on.

Dani347
May 2nd, 2005, 10:50 PM
You mean it's up to me if I want to change my vote, right? But I don't see how to change it. It just says you've already voted, but no (from what I can see) way to change the vote.

TheWarrior
May 3rd, 2005, 03:13 AM
I voted for Reckoning (Part II) but there has been a few great episodes for Daniel where he is the hero so it was a hard choice.

The way he handled himself once connected with RepliCarter was brilliant and it was the way he spoke with her about her lying to him and "trying to leave. Sorry abit more time in Danny's world" was ace.

Captain-Peregrine
May 3rd, 2005, 07:32 AM
Hmmm...this is tough!

I vote for Reckoning Part 2! :D

lol. Certainly hasn't lowered his standards, huh? :rolleyes:

sueKay
May 3rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
I chose Meridian

IMVHO...There's no contest...PLUS he chooses death...ascension...whatever rather getting stabbed and then joining Oma for some waffles

JMO

StarzSkyMoon
May 4th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Ohhh this was a tough one between Meridian and Reckoning II...but i finally chose Reckoning II

:cool: Lizbeth

DWolf
May 4th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Also to Dani:

It's up to you. When this poll is done there'll be a "Best Daniel the Explorer / Scholar episode" poll, then "Best Loopy Daniel ep" then another.... And at the end, all the winners & honourable mentions will get put in an uberpoll to find the BEST DANIEL EPISODE OF ALL :D

Ohhhhh, that good to know! Now I have an excuse to break out the DVDs that the 'brood' can't complain about...okay, maybe they can, but I won't be listening! :D I'll be watching!

~DW

Seshat
May 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM
I chose Meridian

IMVHO...There's no contest...PLUS he chooses death...ascension...whatever rather getting stabbed and then joining Oma for some waffles

JMO

LOL! :D Well, you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. ;)

Lys
May 4th, 2005, 10:16 AM
LOL! :D Well, you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. ;)

But breakfast with Anubis , I don't think it would agree very well with my stomach. ;) :D

SimilarCadence
May 4th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I think that Daniel hits full stride as a hero in "Reckoning 2".

It's been interesting to watch his character develop over the past seasons from a enthusiastic boy wonder to a more mature and savvy member of SG-1.....he's always seemed destined for the unusual, even before all the ascension stuff started.

It was great to see him come into his own......

(And he even left behind one of the best catch-phrases in SG-1---"A little more time in Danny's world!")

Beta Candy
May 5th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I chose Reckoning Part II because I felt RepliCarter is the toughest enemy he's ever had to deal with, and how he dealt with her was AMAZING.

Plus, I think that situation took the most courage of any he'd been through. I have no idea how to do spoiler text, so I just made it white here: He was so alone, he knew eventually she'd kill him and there was nothing he could do. He'd heard about the hand-in-the-head deal, but never experienced it. And unlike every other time he'd been tortured for info, this was one time he could not stop her from getting it. The fact that he triumphed over all this was just jaw-droppingly cool.

Sue_Jackson
May 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I say Meridian. Daniel saved millions of lives (Kelowna) without any regard for his own, and sacrificing himself.....knowing the radiation would be fatal to him.

Dana_Jeanne
May 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Hard choice. Meridian was... well, it still makes me ill thinking about it. I chose Reckoning II, though, because A) he was actually saving the universe, B) the way he outwitted RepliCarter was AWESOME, and C) he had time to think about what he was doing, while in Meridian there was only time for action; he knew in Reckoning II there was no coming back if he died this time.

He's a true hero. I just hope there's no dying for him in S9.

Dana Jeanne

ms bella
May 6th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I just loved The Curse, with all the archeological activites. Even though the scripts for some of the others were better (There but for the Grace of God, Serpent's Lair, and several others) I just had to vote for that!

Bella

SazZat
May 7th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I voted for Meridian, but it was a tough choice between that and Reckoning P2.
I decided on Meridian because even though he helped save the whole galaxy in Reckoning, in Meridian he was willing to sacrifice his life just for the people of one planet. Now to me that is more noble than saving a galaxy. If he hadn't given his life to save the galaxy then they're would be no point in living anyway because everyone would die anyways and all his friends and loved ones would be dead. So he really had no choice. It was either die to save everyone else, or die along with everyone else.
But in Meridian he had a choise. He could have gone away with SG-1 and left the people of that planet to die, i mean in the grand scheme of things its only one planet out of goodness knows how many. But he chose not to leave them even though the destruction of the planet would have no implications for him, SG-1, or the Tauri. Even knowing this he still gave his life and to me that makes Daniel a hero. He valued the lives of those people, that he'd only known for a short while, so much he was not willing to let them die if he could do something. His compassion and heroism is shown further by the fact that even Jonas wasn't willing to sacrifice his life to save his own world and people.

LOL, bit of a long explanation there but i never know if i'm explaining myself good enough ;)

emily_reich
May 7th, 2005, 02:46 PM
ummm... well i had to go with meridian since he dies to save others! and it got us an excellent danny storyline at the same time!! :D

John_Sheppard
May 8th, 2005, 07:41 PM
I agree, he was a good hero in that one. He made the ultimate sacrafice.

Good episode - who says hero's can't wear glasses, sheesh!

Madeleine
May 8th, 2005, 09:19 PM
That's a pretty clear win for Reckoning II, with Meridian also high enough to go into the final. Next poll coming soon...

Ronja
May 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I voted for Meridian but it's really a tie with Reckoning II. It's a very tough choice between all episodes... our hero... I don't think I've ever come across anyone quite like Daniel... When will Daniel get a medal dam it???

Steph_01
September 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I voted for Reckoning (Part II) but there has been a few great episodes for Daniel where he is the hero so it was a hard choice.

The way he handled himself once connected with RepliCarter was brilliant and it was the way he spoke with her about her lying to him and "trying to leave. Sorry abit more time in Danny's world" was ace.

yes, and double yes. That quote is one of my favourites.Ever.

Pitry
September 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Oy! Throwing polls out of their abyss.

Interesting to see the different aspects of "hero" in this one, tho. You mgot here episodes where his character was centred mainly around the more "regular" hero-point - Reckoning for example, stopping the baddies himself. Then you have the episodes that are more true to Daniel's nature - Enemy Mine where he stops the disaster by his diplomacy or humanism - or jsut by being there, like the Curse or There but for the Grace of God - and Meridian, where his heroism, while being shown in a central light, isn't the point of the episode at all.
Kinda makes you wonder what the definition of a "hero" would be ;)

telpethoniel
September 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I think Daniel's best hero episode was 'Forever in a Day', the one where he tried to get Share back but then Teal'c shot her, it's a pinacle of what he's wanted for a long time and in a way he was a hero (emotionally)