This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate planet distance

Its been well established that when a stargate is on a ship in orbit it can connect to the system using the planets point of origin. my question is how close to the planet does that ship have to be. spoilers possible highlight to read in redemption the stargate is about to overload and blow up bad news so they put it on the X302 and it jumps into hyperspace for a second taking the gate over a million miles from earth so the explosion does no damage however if the gate is taken that far shouldnt the wormhole have shut down? i was just wondering because of the gate can be anywhere in the solar system this would prevent the development of further stargate operations on other planets in the system

any ideas on this?
    the very young do not always do as they are told...

you blow up one star and suddenly everyone expects you to be able to walk on water... next parting the red sea

My theory is that the stargate identifies, soley the planets' orbit, from one side of the planet to the other, however it might expand out to include anything in orbit around a planet, this could explain how gates on ships, will work in orbit.

As for the gate staying active, there are two possible options.

1) It was an oversight in the show.

2) The wormhole locks onto the gate, once it is established, the wormhole can drag it anywhere. This has not been proven in the show, however it seems like it could be a logical explination, for the gate to deactivate there would need to be a complex program included in the DHD, however Earth didn't have a DHD, so this could also be a reason why the gate didn't deactivate.

Unless we hear that I was right with the second answer, I think it was simply an oversight in the show, if the gate deactivated, we wouldn't have seen the explosion, and earth could have retrieved the gate, then they wouldn't have had to rent one from Russia, this way furthur tensions between the two countries could have been avoided, the writers didn't want this, they wanted to leave that open for later stories.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by LOKI LOKI
      Its been well established that when a stargate is on a ship in orbit it can connect to the system using the planets point of origin. my question is how close to the planet does that ship have to be. spoilers possible highlight to read in redemption the stargate is about to overload and blow up bad news so they put it on the X302 and it jumps into hyperspace for a second taking the gate over a million miles from earth so the explosion does no damage however if the gate is taken that far shouldnt the wormhole have shut down? i was just wondering because of the gate can be anywhere in the solar system this would prevent the development of further stargate operations on other planets in the system

any ideas on this?
      You're not taking into account that the Stargate moves alot more than that in 38 minutes, which is the maximum time a wormhole can stay established, under normal circumstances.

In 38 minutes, the Earth would be 68,400 kilometers further along it's solar orbit.
      In 38 minutes, our solar system would be 501,600 kilometers further along it's galactic orbit.
      In 38 minutes, our galaxy has moved 352,000 kilometers closer to the Andromeda galaxy.
      In 38 minutes, our local group, which includes the Milky Way, Andromeda, and all the other galaxies in the Stargate series, has moved 1,368,000 kilometers closer towards the constellation Hydra.

However, in that episode, the gate had been open for alot longer than the normal 38 minutes due to the energy weapon Anubis was using keeping the power going. I don't recall what the final count was, but the gate would have moved a many times further than it would have in 38 minutes.

Seems to me that that episode proves that the wormhole is locked to the gate as long as the gate is powered, and regardless of how far the gate has moved relative to it's position when the wormhole was established.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I believe that once a wormhole is locked onto a gate, it will stay locked on the gate for 38 minutes, untill the gate is destroyed, or if there is a power surge that cuases the wormhole to jump to another gate ("Matter of Time"). I also have theorized that without two point for a wormhole to lock onto, both points will randomly jump around the universe. Unfortunatley this isn't technically a theory, but an idea, there is no evidence backing it up other than natural common sense, when you think about this, it seems plausible.

Owen Macri

Comment

If the X-302 used the hyper drive wouldn't it have cut the gate connection. We know you can't dial when in hyperspace so wouldn't that have cut the connection?

Comment

we don't think so because the gate was already locked. also a wormhole should be able to connect in hyperspace as well as normal space since it can travel throguh subspace and appear in normal space. I don't think that gate issues exists since when Apophis was going to attack earth he communicated with klorels ships many times opening a wormhole while they were both in hyperspace and outside of any planet's gravity well.

Comment

Theoretically you can dial in hyperspace, hyperspace is just another layer of space, if you were at a stand still in hyperspace, but on a planet, you could dial the gate, the only reason that normally they can't dial in hyperspace is because they are always moving and not in orbit or close enough to a planet to use it as the point of origin.

Actually in the episodes were he contacted Klorel using the Goa'uld Long Range Communications Device, he didn't open the gate, the "teleball" simply drew power from the gates power source.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
              X