Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree the Daedalus seems like it would be a warship.

Owen Macri

Comment

Well obviously! Any ship primarily built for war is a warship!

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Well, it's gonna have to be a formidable craft to rival the wraith hive ships given the firepower on those babies. "the siege"
        Spoiler:
        the way they carved that satellite into pieces was impressive.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

not really, they concentrated 2 ships forepower on it, it had no shield, was probley quite run down, if it had a zpm in there it would of held for sure, obviosly itddint of we wouldnt need siege 3.
          anyway, the daedalus, as david has pointed out is goign to be totally awesome whateva its like, i hope it will look like a daniel jackson or an oniel type design, but thats just me. the difference is obviosly going to be that its second generation material, that means all the kinks out of the prommie plus upgrades. ive already posted what i believe are the closest things to specs, but they just need to be confirm (david an nod or no, if allowed)!
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
            not really, they concentrated 2 ships forepower on it, it had no shield, was probley quite run down, if it had a zpm in there it would of held for sure, obviosly itddint of we wouldnt need siege 3.
            anyway, the daedalus, as david has pointed out is goign to be totally awesome whateva its like, i hope it will look like a daniel jackson or an oniel type design, but thats just me. the difference is obviosly going to be that its second generation material, that means all the kinks out of the prommie plus upgrades. ive already posted what i believe are the closest things to specs, but they just need to be confirm (david an nod or no, if allowed)!

So you think the Dead. is gonna look more like an Asgard ship imm?....I guess that would'nt be so bad, those Asgard ships are quite impressive. Any ideas on the size of the Daed. compared to the Prom. I know the Prom. is like half the size of the Asgard ships.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Okay... first off... the Dadealus isn't a 304 anything. Not X or BC. Prometheus is an experimental test-bed... essentially it was built to find out if we could build a viable space-faring warship. Thus the 'X', for eXperimental. The BC designation that was given the Prometheus, was because of a forced pressing into service. The BC has two possible meanings; 1) BC= Battlecruiser, or 2) BC= Battlecruister/Carrier (because it carries F-302's). For all its differences, the Dadealus will remain BC-303 model ship. Keep in mind the X-type ships are specific models used to test the viablility of a new design. The 'BC' designation is for a working model... but the 303 or 304 doesn't have anything to do with a specific ship. It is a model number, not a serial number. Each ship will have different serial numbers, but the BC-303 is the number that the Dadealus model is based from. So it will not have a 304 number of any sort. The specific ship number for Dadealus may look like.. BC-303-001, whereas the Prometheus would be something like.. BC-303-000. Thus any ships of the same model would likely be BC-303-###.

The Dadealus is a full-on production class ship, not an experimental test-bed. The Dadealus class starts with Dadealus, but certainly won't end there, as the Prometheus did. It makes sense that the Dadealus appears somewhat different, and bigger, because it is like the difference between a 'rough draft' when submitting a paper, and the 'final version'. There will be additions and deletions, which the Prometheus was used as a base model for. Once they had gotten a successful combination of elements, the came up with the Dadealus class.

As to the onboard systems...

The Prometheus originally had a human-built hyperdrive, powered by Naquadriah. The Naquadriah generator's buffer became over-loaded, and had to be ejected...and then it exploded. The Prometheus became stranded, but fortunately it was on a world that had a stargate. The Prometheus was repaired using an Alkesh hyperdrive, but was still powered by a Naquadriah generator, with a new (and likely improved) power-buffer. On the journey home, they had to take short breaks to allow the Buffer to bleed off its excess energy, meaning it was still using Naquadriah. Later, after the Prometheus returned to Earth, it was fitted with an Asgard Hyperdrive. Until we're told otherwise, we have to assume that they are STILL using a Naquadriah generator, and its associated Buffer.

The Dadealus was designed with an Asgard Hyperdrive built into the design. However, they are still using a Naquadriah generator with its Buffer. The ZPM simply allows the Dadealus to travel faster than normal. The Prometheus itself is capable of making it to Atlantis within a months time without a ZPM. We can assume the same is true of the Dadealus. The ZPM that the Dadealus will be using, will still have a substantial charge (it was 'new' and unused), which is why it will immediately be sent down to Atlantis to power the shields. Once that is done, the Dadealus will revert to using its Naquadriah generator for main power. It is conceivable that the Dadealus could return to Earth under its own power at some point, however I'm inclined to think it will stick around Atlantis for the near future.

The BC-303's use the Naquadriah generators only for the hyperdrive. They use regular Naquada generators for all other systems. All future BC-303 ships will likely be fitted with Asgard design hyperdrives. (It may be that Earth will be able to produce its own hyperdrives w/ the Asgard design) The BC-303's also use Asgard designed Shields, and Weapons. It is also fitted with 'Transport Rings', and also now has an Asgard 'Transporter'. As we recently learned in "The Siege, pt. 2", the Dadealus class ships are now fitted with Electromagnetic Rail Guns. (The Navy is currently experimenting with Rail tech to put on Navy ships in 'real' life) They also have missile weapons, that have so far been less than effective.

Besides all that, the Prometheus was designed to carry a compliment of 8 F-302's. However, since the Dadealus class is bigger, they may carry even more Fighters. (perhaps 12 or 16) The closest real world equivalent for the BC-303 would probably be the British or Soviet-era Russian Carriers. They are both essentially Battleships w/ a launch ramp for fighters. There are a few nations that have 'carriers', but the U.S. is the only nation on Earth that has 'Supercarriers', capable of launching 4 fighters at a time.

Of course, the creators of Stargate could make Dadealus completely different... but that would sort of contradict what we've already been told. To be a 'sister-ship' it will have to have strong similiarities between the ships. Dadealus may be bigger, and less 'blocky' looking... but It will essentially follow the same design theme. Dadealus is a better ship because it is designed with the improvements that were simply 'added to' the Prometheus after the fact.
              The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Hmm. I guess all the recent posts were lost when the servers were changed.

Anyways, here I go again.

I'd like the lines on the Daedalus to be more curved, to make it look less like LEGO.

Are curves better for space travel? I realize when in an atmosphere / underwater, the more streamlined the better. But what about in space? Does it matter how slim the ship is?

Also, I'm guessing that the colour will be the same for the Daedalus as it was for the Prometheus. I think the grey is perfect for space travel. To quote Urgo, "What a nice shade of gray!" .

Comment

The configuration of the hull should only matter when they're taking damage in a firefight. They've got shields to stop debris from hitting them while travelling at sublight.

Comment

Um, ships don't do firefights mate. That word only applies to infantry units.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
                    - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

ZPM dosent burnout.
                      The expedition team will return to Earth in "Intruder," courtesy of their new Zero Point Module.
                      Why is it every time I gate to P3X-797 my bags always end up on P3X-888.

Comment

Uhmmm..Seastallion..I was kinda kidding about the whole BC-304 thing...I was giving Panther a bad time
                        sigpic
                        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

It will be kinder like a VCR and a DVD player - digital and analogue.

The prommy is little (bout size oh standard Hatak)
                          The Big D will be big (bout size of hive ship i reckon)

I cant wait for the little asgard on the Big D to start getting worried about his life when the sparks and stuff start going off in the Big D (as per spoiler pics)

I have a funny feeling that it wil hold a lot more 302's than Prommy just cause something Martin said. "There will be a lotof 302's in season two - especially in the episode "Intruder".

So we know the Big D survive Seige 3 - ansd the ZPM survives too - cause Weir goes back to earth for bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jordo

I cant wait for the little asgard on the Big D to start getting worried about his life when the sparks and stuff start going off in the Big D (as per spoiler pics)

I have a funny feeling that it wil hold a lot more 302's than Prommy just cause something Martin said. "There will be a lotof 302's in season two - especially in the episode "Intruder".

So we know the Big D survive Seige 3 - ansd the ZPM survives too - cause Weir goes back to earth for bit

Giving away alot of spoilers for season 2 Jordo

I wonder if the Daedelus will be as big as a hive ship or on par with a big Asgard ship?...I hope your right about that one!

LOL....to the Asgard on the Daedelus ducking and running for cover. Although the Asgard and Thor in paticular have showed great courage all through the SG genre.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Jordo

Uh.. I think you got the wrong Idea. The main difference between the ships, is that one was built as a test platform, and the other was built as a line production. Yes, Dadealus will be a little bit bigger... but not nearly on the scale your referring to. The Prometheus is no where near the size of a Ha'tak vessel, and I doubt even the Dadeauls is as big, either. Granted, they're both bigger than an Al'kesh, but that isn't the same as a Ha'tak. Don't assume too much difference. There are some, but not near as much as your thinking. As to your analog vs. digital analogy... doesn't ring at all. It's nothing like that at all. Your talking about a completely different set of technological circumstances, that don't line up. Analog, uses waves (like radio), and digital uses 0's and 1's, in computer language to code and decode things. VCR tapes uses magnetic field variations to transmit analog form information, where as DVD's use 0's and 1's to be decoded by a computer prgram into useful information. Totally unrelated subject with the 303's.
                              The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Remember these ships have to be built and stored on Earth, where would you hide a ship as big or bigger than the great pyrimids?

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                                X