This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Phsyics 2

What would happen if at exactly the same time to wormholes connected to the same gate. I don't know if its been addressed in an ep but if not lets here your theorys.

Daniel: The Others would have stopped you.
    Jack: They'd have a hell of a fight on their hands...
    Daniel: You wouldn't do that...
    Jack: Ba'al would be dead...
    Daniel: Jack...
    Jack: ...And don't think I'd stop there!
    Daniel: You're a better man than that...
    Jack: That's where you're wrong!

Probably nothing. The 'Gate system has tons of safeguards. If one gate connected before the other, though, its first come first serve for wormholes.
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Probably the same thing will happen as when you dial a phone number and the line is busy. The gate system probably has ways to deal with "busy signals." Most likely, the gate simply won't connect.

Comment

Probally the gate safeguards kick in and both gates get disconnected. Or one supercedes the other. The ancients were good about those things assuming you used their dialing program.
        Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

On of three things can happen.

1) Both gates will activate, and when they both try to connect they will sense another womrhole is trying to connect at the same time, and they will both deactivate.

2) the more pluasible explination. the gates attract the wormholes directed at them, without the gates the wormholes would jump around space however the gate has safegaurds in place to prevent this. The possibility is that both womrholes would "push" each other until one connected to the gate. The second gate trying to connect would not activate. Normally when the gate dials it senses if there is already a wormhole active and does not activate, in this case the second gate would, deactivate as soon as the first gate connected.

3)There is also the posibility that the wormhole would jump around space until it found another gate to connect to, anyone trying to come through would not be rematerialized and thier energy would be released into space. Normally I would say that this is the most plausible explination, but I believe that the ancients would have put safegaurds on to prevent this.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAK
            What would happen if at exactly the same time to wormholes connected to the same gate. I don't know if its been addressed in an ep but if not lets here your theorys.
            Something similar did happen like this a couple times before, but it was one gate connecting to multiple destination gates (Solitudes,Threads).

It's quite possible that multiple wormholes can connect to the same destination gate, since we've seen the opposite happen.
            I suppose in this case, people would just walk out of the gate at a slightly staggered interval so they don't materialize inside one another. It's the simplist safe-guard that wouldn't inconvience the travelers, unless they weren't friendly to one another, in which case that isn't the Stargate's fault
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

It is possible but I don't think so, the gate would deffinetly have safeguards to prevent this, there is no way that the gate can control when objects materialize so there is the possibility that they could materialize inside each other.

Owen Macri

Comment

There was a post kind of like this, though about ALL the gates connecting from one source. A load of great theories were discussed there, but i'm not sure what would happen if only two gates would lock onto one address.

Death, multiple copies of the person that stepped through, being launche into a different dimension, ascension, a heck of stuff could happen

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
                - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
                - "I'm taking this loop off..."
                - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
                - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
                - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

It would deffinetly not be asencion, it is technically possible for more than one wormhole to connect to a stargate, however I strongly believe that the ancient would have put safegaurds on to prevent this. however if more than one wormhole were created be a stargate, it would be impossible to go through and come out on one planet, your matter would be dematerialized at the event horizon and your energy would be transmitted through every wormhole, unless there was someway that you could select a specific wormhole, and parts of you would come out on every planet that the gate was connected to, seeing as your imformation would be split and transmitted through the seprate wormholes as well.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                    It is possible but I don't think so, the gate would deffinetly have safeguards to prevent this, there is no way that the gate can control when objects materialize so there is the possibility that they could materialize inside each other.

Owen Macri
                    Do you have a reference from the show to back up your thesis?

The gate has to have a method to control when objects materialize, otherwise it would cause all kinds of problems. Did you ever notice, in any episode that has the teams traveling through the gate, that they always exit in the same order that they entered? Have you noticed that they walk out in staggered intervals? That is the gate making sure they don't all rematerialize combined into a pile of meaty goo.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Yes, my reference is basically everything that we know about wormholes and the stargate, I don't have a specific website or book so I will explain this furthur.

The gate controls some aspects of traveling inerstellarly. The gate controls activating the wormhole, scanning the determined area of space were the gate supposedly is according to the last coorelative update, generating the event horizon, which inturn, scans whatever matter enters the stargate, converts the matter into energy, sends the energy and the information from the scan through the wormhole, and then of course rematerializing, I might have forgotten something but it isn't important regarding my point. One of the things that the gate does not control is the wormhole, energy and matter can travel through a wormhole at a constant speed, for that wormhole, the speed is not altered, it could be diffrent for a diffrent wormhole but not for the same one.

In the case of the Stargate, the gate itself only alows energy to travel through the wormhole, this is why it dematerializes matter, it also only allows matter to go through the gate one way, seeing as one event horizon can dematerialize, and one event horizon can rematerialize, the second event horizon on the recieving gate can also dematerialize but it will not send the energy that is converted from the persons matter to the other gate so that it can be rematerialized, that matter simply remains dematerialized.

Your example of the team coming out how they entered, i'm sorry to say, is flawed (no offence intended), the wormhole will send matter through at a constant speed therefore anyone enetering the gate before anyone else will arrive first. The stargate transmits and dematerializes matter in discrete units, so even if the team enetered the gate at the same time they would still exit as themselves because they are all still discrete, seprate units of matter.

(NOTE: I know that the gate doesn't transmit matter in discrete units, it transmits the energy, converted from the matter in discrete units, it was just easier for me to say "transmits and dematerializes matter in discrete units.")

(Please don't take offence to this Jarnin, if I came of as rude I didn't mean to and I appoligize.)

Owen Macri

Comment

Yes, my reference is basically everything that we know about wormholes and the stargate, I don't have a specific website or book so I will explain this furthur.
                        Try references from episodes where the characters discuss what you're talking about. You can find alot of the transcripts on Gateworld and other fan sites for direct quotes.

In the case of the Stargate, the gate itself only alows energy to travel through the wormhole, this is why it dematerializes matter, it also only allows matter to go through the gate one way, seeing as one event horizon can dematerialize, and one event horizon can rematerialize, the second event horizon on the recieving gate can also dematerialize but it will not send the energy that is converted from the persons matter to the other gate so that it can be rematerialized, that matter simply remains dematerialized.
                        Do you see the flaw in your logic?

Your example of the team coming out how they entered, i'm sorry to say, is flawed (no offence intended), the wormhole will send matter through at a constant speed therefore anyone enetering the gate before anyone else will arrive first.
                        You contradict yourself here.

The stargate transmits and dematerializes matter in discrete units, so even if the team enetered the gate at the same time they would still exit as themselves because they are all still discrete, seprate units of matter.
                        Technobabble. The gate transmits a matter stream, which is continuous. Discrete packets would not be continuous.

(Please don't take offence to this Jarnin, if I came of as rude I didn't mean to and I appoligize.)

Owen Macri
                        I don't think you're rude. I think you need to reference the show to back up your hypothesis, otherwise everything you say is conjecture and won't be taken seriously.

Here's some places you can reference:
                        StargateWIKI Transcripts

I'd link to Gateworld, but I think you know how to get there

Comment

I will try to find something in an epsiode, however scientific knowledge at current is proof enough.

No i'm sorry I don't see the flaw in my logic could you please explain it.

I do not contradict myself, if someone walks through the gate before some one else the first person will arrive first because the speed of the wormhole is constant. Like two people in the same cars drag raced down a highway, from start to finish they could only go at one speed, one guy gets a head start, he will surely arrive first, if he manages to go straight there without any problems.

The technobabble comment made me laugh, thank you for that. A natural wormhole will transmit a matter stream but the matter stream will not be constant unless matter is constantly put into the wormhole. However the artificial wormholes created by the gates have the potntial to transmit matter but only transmit energy because any matter that is passed through the event horizon (the only way to get in the wormhole from an end) is dematerialized, de-material-ized, it is converted into energy. The wormhole itself is often called a matter stream, which is a misnomer, because the artificial wormholes created by the gate, like I said before only transmit energy. The technobabble actually means something.

Thank you for not thinking I am rude, I am just cautious when contradicting people, there have been incidences where people have given me negative repuation with no explination for no reason that I can disccern on a post that was not in any way meant to offend them.

I will try to find some references. I have one

Originally posted by Atlantis Season One, 38 Minutes
                          GRODIN: The Stargate transmits matter in discrete units. The front half of the ship cannot re-materialize until the whole ship has crossed into the event horizon. The Stargate is essentially waiting for the contiguous components, meaning the jumper and everyone inside, to enter completely before it can transport them.

Comment

I personaly do not consider what they say in the show or what happens in the show a reference unless it can be backed up by scientific fact, unless of course we are talking about something soley to do with the show, however if it's good enough for you...

Owen Macri

Comment

the one that has the dhd closest to it will connect - i think.

Comment

Working...
                              X