X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found an intersting artical http://www.wirehed.com/articles/index.php?p=9

here it is -

Claudia Black: So Her Own Girl

Like most Americans, my first exposure to Claudia Black was on cable television in the middle of 1999 with the premiere of Farscape. From her first scene on-screen, I knew I was interested in her character and, by extension, the actor behind Officer Aeryn Sun. Her captivating portrayal of a military pilot born and bred to fight combined with her enchanting beauty left my jaw on the floor. I easily convinced myself that I simply had to watch that show as well as see her in anything else she had done.

I didn’t have to look for long, as the big screen action-thriller Pitch Black was released soon after. In fact, her work on Pitch Black was a serious threat to Claudia getting the role of Officer Sun in the first place. At various times during the filming early in season one of Farscape, she was actually doing work for both productions simultaneously. Actually, Pitch Black aside, Claudia was not originally considered for any role on Farscape; the producers had originally intended to cast Aeryn with a non-Australian actor. She was brought to the production offices to assist in casting by reading lines to auditioning actors. It was her talent and unique appeal to producers that ultimately landed her the role.

And don’t blink if you catch her other mainstream feature, Queen of the Damned, the vampire movie made famous by the starring role of the late pop star Aaliyah. While Claudia had actual lines of dialogue on the set, most were cut in the final version (although, fortunately, they can be seen on the special features of the DVD).

But unlike those of us in the rest of the world, Claudia was not an unknown to audiences in her native Australia. She had numerous television roles, including a stint as a lead character on the short-lived television drama City Life. And observant Americans might have noticed her in small guest roles on such shows as Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess, and Beastmaster. But it was Farscape that propelled her to the level of pop culture icon. If John Crichton had been a character on another show, I’m sure we would’ve heard him make one of his famous cultural references to Aeryn Sun or Claudia Black by now.

When Farscape was officially cancelled, Claudia was preparing for the last scene of season four, not knowing it would be her final Farscape scene of the series. "I was in total shock," Black said on an interview for an ADV Farscape DVD. "[I] got a phone call while I was in the makeup chair." Soon after that call, according to Black, "Suddenly all these mobile phones started ringing and people were just getting the official calls from Brian Henson, and whoever else had been staying up all night to keep the negotiations going."

But fortunately for all of us, we’ll soon get to see Claudia in several new productions. In January audiences will get a chance to see Claudia outside of Farscape with a guest role in Stargate SG-1 as the former Goa’uld host, Vala, a new potential love interest for series regular Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks). Then in the spring of 2005, Claudia will be co-starring in an independent British film, Naked in London, which she is quick to point out does not include any actual nudity. Finally, producers are getting ready to begin work on a new kick-butt action film entitled One, which will star Claudia and should be released late in 2005.

While starring on genre shows has often led to typecasting and limited choices for actors, the universe should be ashamed of itself if it treated Claudia Black as just another genre actor. The entire Farscape series can be viewed as a remarkable portfolio of Black’s amazing talent as a performer, from comedy to drama, romance to action. Most of Hollywood’s most popular and active female leads would be blessed to have even an ounce of her versatility. Take note, Hollywood: Claudia Black is here to stay.

2 Comments
    Linked over from another website… I especially agree with this:

“The entire Farscape series can be viewed as a remarkable portfolio of Black’s amazing talent as a performer, from comedy to drama, romance to action. Most of Hollywood’s most popular and active female leads would be blessed to have even an ounce of her versatility.”

Comment by Motz — Nov 17, 2004 @ 12:11 am

LOVE CLAUDIA!!!! great artical. thank you

Comment

love this one - Claudia at the Saturn

Comment

more Claude

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

OK, this my last try at this. MANY people who use the Forum do NOT have broadband, that is cable or DSL and the HUGE pics take for ever to download. Is there anyway you all could reduce the size a bit?

I have cable, but when I had dial up, it was excruciating to wait.

Thanks!
                          On fighting:
                          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                              OK, this my last try at this. MANY people who use the Forum do NOT have broadband, that is cable or DSL and the HUGE pics take for ever to download. Is there anyway you all could reduce the size a bit?

I have cable, but when I had dial up, it was excruciating to wait.

Thanks!
                              ok! i'll try
                              BTW- there'r still people with dial up connection?

Comment

Hmm... my own DVD screen caps (WinDVD rocks! ) are less or around 100 KB. OK, I'll try to resize them

Comment

Working...
                                X