This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinescape - Review of "Bound"

Apparently the Cinescape reviewer saw a different version of this episode than I did. Mine was boring, boring, boring -- and did I mention boring? Sorry, but Star Trek: Enterprise never got into warp for me. And I've been a card carrying Trekkie since the original series first aired on September 8, 1968.

From Cinescape:

http://www2.cinescape.com/0/editoria...70356&sub_id=0

or http://tinyurl.com/at9yf

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE - "Bound"
    GRADE: B+
    Reviewed Format: TV Show
    Network: UPN
    Original Airdate: 15 April 2005
    Cast: Scott Bakula, John Billingsley, Jolene Blalock, Dominic Keating, Anthony Montgomery, Linda Park, Connor Trinneer
    Creators: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
    Writer: Manny Coto
    Director: Allan Kroeker

Once more, Manny Coto has mined the mysteries of the original STAR TREK to create a top notch entry into the late prequel series. Borrowing elements from original series installments like "The Cage" and "Mudd's Women," Coto has crafted a script that evokes the ambience of the original while spinning a yarn that keeps even the most ensconced Trek aficionado in suspense. While surveying a possible location for Star Fleet's first starbase, Enterprise encounters an Orion trader who offers Captain Archer a deal with some rather shapely fringe benefits attached. Of course, the three Orion women given to the Captain turn out to be more than anyone has bargained for and complications ensue.

**major snippage**

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Bound didn't bore me a second

Comment

Originally posted by shockwave
      Bound didn't bore me a second
      It wasn't just that episode -- it was the whole series.

The worst disappointment was Scott Bakula. After waiting eagerly each week to see a new episode of "Quantum Leap," I was eager to see what Scott would do as Capt. Archer. Archer never became a three dimensional character -- actually, none of the Enterprise crew did.

I rejoiced over seeing more of Porthos each week -- and I'm a CAT person.

Geez.

Granted, my opinion. And possibly quite a few others as well, as the series has (finally) been cancelled.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
        It wasn't just that episode -- it was the whole series.
        Sounds like your mind is already made up on the totality, so why bother questioning ratings of this or that particular episode?

The worst disappointment was Scott Bakula. After waiting eagerly each week to see a new episode of "Quantum Leap," I was eager to see what Scott would do as Capt. Archer. Archer never became a three dimensional character -- actually, none of the Enterprise crew did.
        I too found Bakula to be REALLY weak.

I rejoiced over seeing more of Porthos each week -- and I'm a CAT person.
        Since when do starships have mascots? I hope Porthos gets some bad cheese! (and I am a DOG person)

Granted, my opinion. And possibly quite a few others as well, as the series has (finally) been cancelled.
        I actually liked the episode. Not the greatest of the "Enterprise" episodes, but interesting nonetheless. Season 4 has been head and shoulders above the earlier seasons, and I for one think it is too bad the show is being cancelled NOW just as it is hitting its stride.

Comment

I found the episode to be boring, stupid, and insulting. We've got the men acting like horny teenagers, because Trek apparently can't handle showing sex in a mature, adult way. Then we have the women getting migraines so they won't want to have sex. [Bermaga]See, it's like that in real life! Hee hee![/Bermaga] All of which is achieved by the Orion slave girls' pheramones. Which don't give each other headaches, even though they're suppsoedly designed to give other females migraines to kick out competition.

Ok, so now we've got all that going on, and Captain Quantum proves himself to be unfit for command several times. But no one relieves him. The First Officer, the Chief Engineer, and the Chief Medical Officer all let him stay in command. Even better, the First Officer and Chief Engineer are immune. Why? Because they're in luuuuuuurrrrrve *throws up*. Blah.

And finally, we have the "big reveal" that the Orion slave girls aren't actually slaves. Nope. The men are. The men who get lapdances by said females. The men who sale said females on the open market. The men who are in charge of all Orion ships and facilities we've ever seen. I can't understand why I'd ever think the Orion Slave Girls were slaves.

I've been loving this season, but "Bound" really pissed me off. for the first time this season I went, "Yeah, I can see why it got cancelled." This putrid love-child of "A Night in Sickbay" and "Precious Cargo" should never be aired on television again. Here's hoping next weeks Mirror Universe episode will regain the respect I had developed for ENT this season.
          MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Lexx you are 100% correct. Bound was supid and incredibly sexist.
            The Orion slave girls were pretty ugly too even leaving out their guacamole skin. Yeah why would the OSG's pheramones only work on aliens and not other OSG's? That seems like a really pointless benifit from an evolutionary standpoint. Plus besides the male Orions being sex slaves how are they not better off than the OSG's? Unless the female half of the Orion race think that cage dancing is the most you could ever hope to accomplish. Also what kind of slavery do the males suffer? Oh no I only get to do kinky 4 ways when the females want too.
            Then there are the humans females. The have headaches and are listless. What no need for chocalate and the desire to watch Bridgette Jones? Coto should have had T'Pol, Hoshi, and the other female crewmembers take over the ship. Of course that would mean using female actors in a useful manor which rarely ever happens. Trip is immune because he got some hot green blooded loving? I guess having Hoshi use some of her brought up for no reason in season 4 never mentioned again black belt skills is not as important as showing that Trip is in luurrve with T'Pol.

Comment

Working...
            X