PDA

View Full Version : Alien power sources.

aAnubiSs
April 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I figure there's alot of topics on the ZPM:s, however there's not many on all the other power sources. So I decided to create a topic where you're free to speculate on how alien power sources work. I'll go first.

Asgard Neutrino-Ion Generators
SPECULATION:

I guess Neutrino-Ion Generators could be compared to a Neutron star, or a regular star if you want to.

First the Asgard pump a room full of Ions. Then they introduce electrons and a very high pressure. Under high pressure protons and electrons merge and create a neutron and neutrino.
So perhaps Asgard reactors first merge protons and electrons and then the neutrinos are either absorbed by some material/field or the neutrinos themselves merge or interact with other particles and start another chain reaction.

The neutrons that are left might interact with Naquadah or something just like neutrons interact with Uranium during Fission. Or they are used for another unknown reaction.

The Asgard might run the plasma in a Fusion reactor before merging the protons and electrons for a little more energy. This could be compared to a supernova. The dying star bleeds of insane amounts of energy in the form of neutrinos.

6thMonolith
April 14th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Or they have a few billion hamsters on wheels. It would explain the size of the Asgard motherships, and why only one Asgard(Aesir?) seems to be on one at once. Not enough food for the billion and two of them...

captain_kirk999
April 16th, 2005, 07:24 AM
I thought that other gates provided their own power source (Naquida) and didn't need a third party to power the gates, but they kind of ran off themselves? I'm sure there are some worlds that have the same problem as Earth, maybe they use nuclear power or old fashioned gun powder, petrol, oil, fire etc.

6thMonolith
April 17th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I thought that other gates provided their own power source (Naquida) and didn't need a third party to power the gates, but they kind of ran off themselves? I'm sure there are some worlds that have the same problem as Earth, maybe they use nuclear power or old fashioned gun powder, petrol, oil, fire etc.

The gates need an outside power source. A DHD will suffice, but the SGC had no DHD to start, and I bet a few other worlds have run into that problem,too.

ColonelWilliams
April 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
what about the ion drives from hebridians?

aAnubiSs
April 17th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Ion Drives are just engines.

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I want to know more about Tollan technology, there were no chips or circuts or power sources in those arm things that they had.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM
me too because the tollan use no moving parts so they can not be backwards engineered

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Hey, Buckner, I haven't seen you on in a while. I wouldn't necesarily agree that there technology couldn't be backwards engineered, If Tollan technology is just one piece than you canuse whatever materials required to make that one piece. But either way there technology is indeed intriguing (did I spell that right?), I would like to hear more about how it works.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 04:29 PM
the tollan said they made it with no moving parts to make it hard to backwards engineer, I havnt seen you in a while I am on every day but do not post much

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 04:49 PM
First of all, THANK YOU FOR POSTING, I was getting so bored, no one was posting in the science and tech section and i've pretty much shut down most of the threads. Any ways, yes, I agree Tollan technology could be incredibly hard to backwards engineer, but with the Tollans' help it would be incredibly easy, and with enough time it could be backwards engineered, without their help either. It would just be very hard.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM
If you aren't busy could you look at my other posts and do your hardest to find any holes in them so I will have someone to discuss them with.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 04:52 PM
sure

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Thank You!!!!!

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 05:17 PM
First of all, THANK YOU FOR POSTING, I was getting so bored, no one was posting in the science and tech section and i've pretty much shut down most of the threads. Any ways, yes, I agree Tollan technology could be incredibly hard to backwards engineer, but with the Tollans' help it would be incredibly easy, and with enough time it could be backwards engineered, without their help either. It would just be very hard.

Owen Macri
I dont think that the tollan would help us, I wonder how they get power to their devices because they are so small yet do amazing things.

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM
It is possible that they use a form of energy that we haven't seen yet or maybe we just don't realise what kind of enrgy it uses. I have heard of a watch that dosent have any batteries it is simply powered by motion, you have to sleep with it on because if it isn't moving it will stop. Maybe Tollan technology works like this. or maybe you just wind up a knob thing on the back. lol. I'm just kidding.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM
but the device they use to walk through matter is only a few inches across think how much energy is required to do this. Or the device used to contact the nox it was tiny yet transported the message across the galaxy.

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 05:30 PM
You are thinking linearly, does the power source realy have to be as small as the box. Maybe the devices are precharged. The devices might not use that much energy anyways, it depends how the tollan created them. Think outside the box bothe lieteraly and figurativly, maybe the devices get there power from an alternate source that is not necesarily within the confines of the box. I didn't want to bring this up because it would mean that the Tollan are far more advanced than we thought, but their devices could run of of vaccum energy from a self contained region of subspace, like the Zero Point Module. It would not take a large region of subspace to provide enough power for a device like that.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM
thats what I think (vacuum idea)

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 05:58 PM
It is quite possible but I don't want it to be, that would mean that the Tollan are even more advanced than we thought they were.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
They are my favorite race they can never be too advanced

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM
The Tollans are pretty cool but I don't know if they would go as far as my favorite race, definetly up there though.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I want to know how the nox received the tollans message

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 06:09 PM
do you mean how it physically got to the nox hoeworld or how it was actually recieved?

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 06:10 PM
received by the nox

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
They probably had some sort of array that recieved the beam of light, then the information was uploaded into there equivilent of a data storage device and the nox decoded there message.

Owen Macri

buckner
April 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM
but that is like us sending a radio signal and hoping they will have radios (bad example)

_Owen_
April 19th, 2005, 06:20 PM
No that is a good example, the transmission probably also included a program that scanned there systems to see how they worked and then altered the message to suit there capabilities. If it didn't then without the Tollan knowing more about the nox your analogoy would be their only hope.

Owen Macri

StargateWatcher
August 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I don't think anything less than maybe megazounds of those alternate soiurces could power the gates

Hey, Buckner, I haven't seen you on in a while. I wouldn't necesarily agree that there technology couldn't be backwards engineered, If Tollan technology is just one piece than you canuse whatever materials required to make that one piece. But either way there technology is indeed intriguing (did I spell that right?), I would like to hear more about how it works.

like ur argument

Owen Macri

It is possible that they use a form of energy that we haven't seen yet or maybe we just don't realise what kind of enrgy it uses. I have heard of a watch that dosent have any batteries it is simply powered by motion, you have to sleep with it on because if it isn't moving it will stop. Maybe Tollan technology works like this. or maybe you just wind up a knob thing on the back. lol. I'm just kidding.
they did have an energy source they gave to their neighboring nations

Owen Macri

No that is a good example, the transmission probably also included a program that scanned there systems to see how they worked and then altered the message to suit there capabilities. If it didn't then without the Tollan knowing more about the nox your analogoy would be their only hope.

we're assuming the Tollan can actually understand Nox technology w/o the Nox helping them to could be possible they can to a certain degree

Owen Macri

Steam
August 18th, 2010, 03:00 AM
They are my favorite race they can never be too advanced

My favourite race is the Rodney Mckay race :D