This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Through an Outgoing Wormhole

I was watching Lifeboat just recently, and when the personality inside Daniel tried to go back through the Stargate (it was shut down before he had the chance), something occurred to me. What would happen if a person goes through an outgoing wormhole? Would they demolecularize?

sigpic
    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

I'm pretty sure that this has been brought up before, but here's my oppinion: The gate is one way only. An event horizon is formed on both ends, so if someone stepped in backwards, they'd demolecularize. They just wouldnt show up at the other end. They'd be converted into whatever the event horizon converts them into, and either spend all eternity in the limbo of Stargate plot holes and tech errors or just be used to help power the DHD. I guess the same thing would happen if you went in the gate from the wrong end.
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
      I'm pretty sure that this has been brought up before, but here's my oppinion: The gate is one way only. An event horizon is formed on both ends, so if someone stepped in backwards, they'd demolecularize. They just wouldnt show up at the other end. They'd be converted into whatever the event horizon converts them into, and either spend all eternity in the limbo of Stargate plot holes and tech errors or just be used to help power the DHD. I guess the same thing would happen if you went in the gate from the wrong end.
      Not really disagreeing with that (but just cause I like good scientific/philosophical talks) but I think what would really happen is that it would sort of be like stepping into the vortex of an opening wormhole. If you stepped into an outgoing wormhole, you would demolecularize, but your molecules wouldn't have the necessary time to remolecularize because you're too close to the event horizon. Now, where the molecules go, I have no idea. Let you guys figure that one out.

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

this might be wrong but i thought of it like this. if you stepped into the ocean and there ws a strong current you would come back. maybe you would demolecularize* and be pushe back out tha gate on the same side but its probaly wrong

Comment

I commonly think of the Stargate Wormholes as two-way, but with a strong current that pushes you forward. If you try to go back through, you'll be swimming against the current, which means that you'll need to be capable of swimming against the current in order to not be spit back out.
          Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorgerheaus
            this might be wrong but i thought of it like this. if you stepped into the ocean and there ws a strong current you would come back. maybe you would demolecularize* and be pushe back out tha gate on the same side but its probaly wrong
            No there would most likely be a safegaurd built into the Stargates by the ancients to prevent you from remoleculariseing at you same end, because if matter travels through at the same time from the other wormhole there will be a big mess.

Comment

I don't think anything would happen. I think the event horizon just wouldn't let you though. It would be like pushing on a water-bed. Same if you tried to go through the gate from the backside.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                I don't think anything would happen. I think the event horizon just wouldn't let you though. It would be like pushing on a water-bed. Same if you tried to go through the gate from the backside.
                The backside isn't 3 dimensional.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
                  The backside isn't 3 dimensional.
                  I never said it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                    I never said it was.
                    My point is that if you were actually capable of seeing the backside, you'd be an Ascendant.

If you tried to enter from behind the stargate, you'd quickly discover the strength of the electromagnetic field used to hold the wormhole there.

Comment

But you can see the backside of teh event horizon. Whenever the iris is closed and a wormhole is open, there is that nice water-like reflection.
                      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                      LANDRY
                      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                        But you can see the backside of teh event horizon. Whenever the iris is closed and a wormhole is open, there is that nice water-like reflection.
                        What you see is just the shadow of the backside of the event horizon.

Shadow = 3-D representation of something N-D, where N is a whole number greater than 3

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
                          What you see is just the shadow of the backside of the event horizon.
                          You should look up Plato's "Allegory of the Cave." Based on what you just said I think you'd like it.

Comment

this is all incorrect. quite simply the stargate will let you step into the output stargate. You would then die and disappear with your particles spread all over subspace, like being hit by vortex. example of this is episode where jack is stranded on a planet, he gives up hope. sgc think stargate on that world is destroyed/buried. Sam plays footage from MALP discovers it went through and then fell back on itself into the event horizon and was destroyed.

Other thing i find interesting is that though one can see and enter stargate from both sides, only one side is correct. If they don't see the vortex how do they know which side to go through because the stargate seems to look the same on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganjaman
                              Other thing i find interesting is that though one can see and enter stargate from both sides, only one side is correct. If they don't see the vortex how do they know which side to go through because the stargate seems to look the same on both sides.
                              The back of an activated gate is transparent with the exception of a dynamic shimmer. We've seen a few FX POV shots where we watch people enter the Stargate as if we were positioned behind the gate. Also, the back of the Gate itself does not have glyphs.

Comment

Working...
                              X