PDA

View Full Version : Going Through an Outgoing Wormhole

Sue_Jackson
April 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I was watching Lifeboat just recently, and when the personality inside Daniel tried to go back through the Stargate (it was shut down before he had the chance), something occurred to me. What would happen if a person goes through an outgoing wormhole? Would they demolecularize?

:)

6thMonolith
April 9th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that this has been brought up before, but here's my oppinion: The gate is one way only. An event horizon is formed on both ends, so if someone stepped in backwards, they'd demolecularize. They just wouldnt show up at the other end. They'd be converted into whatever the event horizon converts them into, and either spend all eternity in the limbo of Stargate plot holes and tech errors or just be used to help power the DHD. I guess the same thing would happen if you went in the gate from the wrong end.

Supreme Thor
April 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that this has been brought up before, but here's my oppinion: The gate is one way only. An event horizon is formed on both ends, so if someone stepped in backwards, they'd demolecularize. They just wouldnt show up at the other end. They'd be converted into whatever the event horizon converts them into, and either spend all eternity in the limbo of Stargate plot holes and tech errors or just be used to help power the DHD. I guess the same thing would happen if you went in the gate from the wrong end.

Not really disagreeing with that (but just cause I like good scientific/philosophical talks) but I think what would really happen is that it would sort of be like stepping into the vortex of an opening wormhole. If you stepped into an outgoing wormhole, you would demolecularize, but your molecules wouldn't have the necessary time to remolecularize because you're too close to the event horizon. Now, where the molecules go, I have no idea. Let you guys figure that one out. :D

TheGreatLordGeorge
April 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
this might be wrong but i thought of it like this. if you stepped into the ocean and there ws a strong current you would come back. maybe you would demolecularize* and be pushe back out tha gate on the same side but its probaly wrong

Schrodinger's Cat
April 9th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I commonly think of the Stargate Wormholes as two-way, but with a strong current that pushes you forward. If you try to go back through, you'll be swimming against the current, which means that you'll need to be capable of swimming against the current in order to not be spit back out.

matthew_kokai
April 10th, 2005, 12:22 AM
this might be wrong but i thought of it like this. if you stepped into the ocean and there ws a strong current you would come back. maybe you would demolecularize* and be pushe back out tha gate on the same side but its probaly wrong
No there would most likely be a safegaurd built into the Stargates by the ancients to prevent you from remoleculariseing at you same end, because if matter travels through at the same time from the other wormhole there will be a big mess.

Major Tyler
April 10th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I don't think anything would happen. I think the event horizon just wouldn't let you though. It would be like pushing on a water-bed. Same if you tried to go through the gate from the backside.

Schrodinger's Cat
April 10th, 2005, 04:20 PM
I don't think anything would happen. I think the event horizon just wouldn't let you though. It would be like pushing on a water-bed. Same if you tried to go through the gate from the backside.

The backside isn't 3 dimensional.

Major Tyler
April 10th, 2005, 04:46 PM
The backside isn't 3 dimensional.I never said it was.

Schrodinger's Cat
April 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I never said it was.
My point is that if you were actually capable of seeing the backside, you'd be an Ascendant.

If you tried to enter from behind the stargate, you'd quickly discover the strength of the electromagnetic field used to hold the wormhole there.

6thMonolith
April 10th, 2005, 06:34 PM
But you can see the backside of teh event horizon. Whenever the iris is closed and a wormhole is open, there is that nice water-like reflection.

Schrodinger's Cat
April 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM
But you can see the backside of teh event horizon. Whenever the iris is closed and a wormhole is open, there is that nice water-like reflection.
What you see is just the shadow of the backside of the event horizon.

Shadow = 3-D representation of something N-D, where N is a whole number greater than 3

Major Tyler
April 11th, 2005, 12:20 AM
What you see is just the shadow of the backside of the event horizon.You should look up Plato's "Allegory of the Cave." Based on what you just said I think you'd like it.

Ganjaman
April 11th, 2005, 07:03 AM
this is all incorrect. quite simply the stargate will let you step into the output stargate. You would then die and disappear with your particles spread all over subspace, like being hit by vortex. example of this is episode where jack is stranded on a planet, he gives up hope. sgc think stargate on that world is destroyed/buried. Sam plays footage from MALP discovers it went through and then fell back on itself into the event horizon and was destroyed.

Other thing i find interesting is that though one can see and enter stargate from both sides, only one side is correct. If they don't see the vortex how do they know which side to go through because the stargate seems to look the same on both sides.

Major Tyler
April 11th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Other thing i find interesting is that though one can see and enter stargate from both sides, only one side is correct. If they don't see the vortex how do they know which side to go through because the stargate seems to look the same on both sides.The back of an activated gate is transparent with the exception of a dynamic shimmer. We've seen a few FX POV shots where we watch people enter the Stargate as if we were positioned behind the gate. Also, the back of the Gate itself does not have glyphs.

Supreme Commander Gav
April 11th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I distinctley remember good old Jack keeping his hand in the event horizon to keep the wormhole open so the rogue NID would come through and based on what I know of the gate it must have accepted at least part of him - heres a nice sub section question that I cannot answer for the live of me - If it's one way then why do radio signals get through?

6thMonolith
April 11th, 2005, 03:58 PM
I distinctley remember good old Jack keeping his hand in the event horizon to keep the wormhole open so the rogue NID would come through and based on what I know of the gate it must have accepted at least part of him - heres a nice sub section question that I cannot answer for the live of me - If it's one way then why do radio signals get through?

When Jack put his hand in the event horizon, it was demolecularized, but not transported into the wormhole or the other event horizon yet. This registered on the 'gate computer, which kept the wormhole open. As for the second question, I read the answer to it in the Stargate SG-1 FAQ. Matter can only go one way, but radio signals and CO. can come on back.

Chevron_nine
April 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I believe you've all missed the question. The simple answer is... you just come out through the gate on the other planet. We've seen SG-1 go through OUTGOING wormhole hundreds of times, why would they die:P

What would happen if a person goes through an outgoing wormhole?

Now if it were an incoming wormhole that would be a whole other story...

Jarnin
April 11th, 2005, 09:34 PM
I believe you've all missed the question. The simple answer is... you just come out through the gate on the other planet. We've seen SG-1 go through OUTGOING wormhole hundreds of times, why would they die:P

Now if it were an incoming wormhole that would be a whole other story...

LOL, too funny. While it would be normal to go through an outgoing wormhole, trying to go through an incoming wormhole would be problematic at best.

Best situation: It doesn't let you enter the event horizon.
Worst situation: It dematerializes you like the 'Ka-Whoosh' does.

Major Tyler
April 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Best situation: It doesn't let you enter the event horizon.
Worst situation: It dematerializes you like the 'Ka-Whoosh' does.I think it's reasonable to assume the Ancients incorporated some kind of safeguard to prevent the "worst situation" from occuring. They put in other safeguards...it's hard to believe they'd forget one this obvious.

Crazedwraith
April 12th, 2005, 01:38 PM
We know wormholes are only one. So he wouldn't actually pop out on another palnet. There are three options:

1) He gets vapourised/atomized/bad things happen.
2) He goes straight through the event horizon and remain on the smae palnet.
3) The event horizon repluses him so he cant go through. (he flies backward)

personally I think 1 or 3 are the most likely but beleive whatever you want.

SG Zero
April 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Hmm... maybe you can't go through the backside and repelled. There's no reason to put a back plate on, it'd be a waste of materials and could easily be toppled over in a storm! ... and maybe the flushing helps determine which is the front! The Ancients probably put safe guards because they probably had a form of Murphy's law.

Schrodinger's Cat
April 13th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Hmm... maybe you can't go through the backside and repelled. There's no reason to put a back plate on, it'd be a waste of materials and could easily be toppled over in a storm! ... and maybe the flushing helps determine which is the front! The Ancients probably put safe guards because they probably had a form of Murphy's law.
Ya think?

Macharius0
April 14th, 2005, 02:48 AM
I forget what the Ep. name was, but when O'Neill was stranded on Eudora, The SGC sent a MALP through the gate, which promptly fell back into the event horizon and was destroyed, since the gate was on its side.

I think O'Neill kept a wormhole open with his hand that one time by simply not walking all the way out of the wormhole. All he'd have to do is come through slowly and not remove his hand, and then the wormhole would stay open since it hadn't reassembled all of the incoming traveller.

ColonelWilliams
April 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I don't know if this has already been said but the ancients probably had a failsafe, maybe they would pop out the same end they entered (like bouncing a ball against a wall) and maybe it only works for people for some odd reason, or the malp died because the gate wasn't connected to the dhd (if i remember correctly) and it takes it's own energy for it to work

6thMonolith
April 14th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I forget what the Ep. name was, but when O'Neill was stranded on Eudora, The SGC sent a MALP through the gate, which promptly fell back into the event horizon and was destroyed, since the gate was on its side.

Yes. The MALP fell back down, and was destroyed. No one knows exactly what happened to the MALP, but I think that the most popular theory is taht the MALP was demolecularized, and the molecules just helped power the wormhole.

I think O'Neill kept a wormhole open with his hand that one time by simply not walking all the way out of the wormhole. All he'd have to do is come through slowly and not remove his hand, and then the wormhole would stay open since it hadn't reassembled all of the incoming traveller.

For 38 minutes, that is.

I don't know if this has already been said but the ancients probably had a failsafe, maybe they would pop out the same end they entered (like bouncing a ball against a wall) and maybe it only works for people for some odd reason, or the malp died because the gate wasn't connected to the dhd (if i remember correctly) and it takes it's own energy for it to work

Nice theory, but I dont think that the DHD is connected to the event horizon.

Schrodinger's Cat
April 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM
^ is a Googlebombed post.

XMC-10-182

_Owen_
April 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM
If your body and any contecting matter completly passes through the event horizon of an incoming wormhole, you will cease to exist as matter, you will be dematerialized, not demolecularized, and your energy, will be released into the Stargate itself, being a giant superconductor. O'Neill kept the gate open with his hand so that the bad guys wouldn't be able to go anywere else. However, if there is an object in past the event horizon of an incoming worhole, but it is not completly past the event horizon, and the power source, is disconnected from the Stagate manually it will cease to exist.

Owen Macri

Jprime
April 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Well since the event horizon isn't actually the mouth of the wormhole (It couldn't be, the gravity'd turn you to spagetti and there'd be no need for energy conversion and pattern storage), I liken popping in the wrong side to putting paper in the scanner upside down, exept the paper is a human body and the scanner actually rips it apart atom by atom and shoots them through a wormhole. It wouldn't work, and you'd sure be sore in the morning...

_Owen_
April 20th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Actually you would be non-existent, as you know you, in the morining. The event horizon would dematerialize you and the energy would be released into the stargate itself, being a superconductor.

Owen Macri

6thMonolith
April 20th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Actually you would be non-existent, as you know you, in the morining. The event horizon would dematerialize you and the energy would be released into the stargate itself, being a superconductor.

Owen Macri

So in essence, you'd be REALLY REALLY REALLY sore in the morning.

_Owen_
April 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Well I know what you are trying to say, but actually it wouldn't hurt at all it would simply feel like passing through a normal event horizon, except after you were completly dematerialized, instead of your energy being transfered through the wormhole to the other stargate it would be released into the stargate it self, so it wouldn't hurt at all. And seeing as energy dosen't have nerves you wouldn't be able to feel anything the next morning either, infact the matter in the shape of a human body that you call yourself would not be existent, you would exist as only energy, but you would have no concious knowledge of it.

Owen Macri

lethalfang
April 23rd, 2005, 02:37 AM
In theory, once you cross the event horizon, you cannot back out. You get pulled in. The escape velocity would be greater than the speed of light.
So I can only assume the exact opposite thing happens on the other side: you cannot across the anti-event horizon. You have to be running above the speed of light to give yourself enough energy to cross it.

CatGoddess
April 23rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
If the escape velocity were greater than the speed of light, two-way radio communication would not be possible, would it?

_Owen_
April 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM
The velocity that the wormhole passes energy through could be greater than the speed of light, but you are not passing directly into the wormhole, you are first dematerialized by the event horizon. Being and incoming wormhole which you are passing through the event horizon will not allow you to be passed through into the womrhole, your energy will be released into the Stargate itself, being a giant superconductor, to help power the wormhole.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
April 23rd, 2005, 09:08 AM
As for the radio signals, a wormhole technically can allow matter to travel two ways, such as the one in deepspace nine. However the Stargate is only one way and will not allow matter to travel through both ways, the event horizon controls this. However radio signals already being energy can bypass the event horizon and travel through the wormhole both ways, because there is not need for de an rematerialization.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
April 24th, 2005, 08:08 AM
As for the original question in this thread, I have posted the answer in another thread, but I will quote it here, for anyone who wants to read it.

That would really depend on exactly how the ancients created the event horizon, there are really only two possibilities.

1. The event horizon does not even recognize someone walking through that side of the stargate, and you would simply pass directly through and be on the correct side of the gate, (the one that you do go through).

2. And then there is the second more plausible possibility. The event horizon works both ways, so if you walk through the back end you will be dematerialized. Now there are two other sub-possibilities.

a) The information of your matter that is ussualy read an sent through the gate when you go through along with the energy converted from the mass of your body is not recorded at all and your energy is released into the Stargate itself being a giant superconductor. This is the most plausible explination.

b) this was the second sub possibility but I have just disproved it. You would not be transported to whichever planet the recieving gate is on because, normally when you walk through the event horizon your matter is converted into energy, and your energy is directly put into the wormhole that transports your energy to the recieving gate. However because you are going through the gate from the opposite side, it is EXTREMLY likely that you will be converted into energy and then released out the correct side of the event horizon, but not as yourself as energy, you would cease to exist.

However having energy pushed out the good side of the event horizon could be dangerous to other people and possibly equipment that is near by, it would also be a waste of energy, so I beleive that your energy would infact be released in the Stargate itself, which would contribute to powering the wormhole.

I think that I have covered every scenario, If you have any questions, just post them and I will be happy to answer.

Owen Macri

Owen Macri

AncientKnowledge
April 24th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I was watching Lifeboat just recently, and when the personality inside Daniel tried to go back through the Stargate (it was shut down before he had the chance), something occurred to me. What would happen if a person goes through an outgoing wormhole? Would they demolecularize?

:)

Not that this means anything,but if you watch the pilot episode for season 1 you will see that the serpent guards walk thru an incoming wormhole,because they dial into the SGC but you never see them dial out agian.....so....it might just have been a mistake but its funny to watch once you know the facts.

_Owen_
April 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM
when the Apophis and Teal'c come through the gate shuts off, it dosen't actually show them dial it up agian, but you assume they do because the gate turned off, it was just an oversight by the writers. They don't actually go back through the incoming wormhole.

Owen Macri

QuiGonJohn
April 25th, 2005, 11:54 AM
a wormhole technically can allow matter to travel two ways, such as the one in deepspace nine. However the Stargate is only one way and will not allow matter to travel through both ways

Actually, it has always seemed to me that you ought to be able to go both ways through a wormhole. But in the movie, they needed a plot device to keep the team stuck on Abydos, so they said it was not as easy as Earth dialing in and the team just walking back through to Earth. This stuck us in the one-way wormhole theory ever since. I have not seen every episode and wonder if they ever did use it two-way, even by mistake.

_Owen_
April 25th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Actullay a wormhole can send you two directions, however the stargate can't. A natural wormhole simply passes matter through it, the stargate creats a seprate event horizon and actually dematerializes matter, the stargate dosen't allow for matter to travel two directions, however wormholes do. It might have also been a plot device in the movie, but now it is "gate law" (some things are theorized about the gate, "gate theory," and some thing s can be proved, "gate law." I made that up.)

Owen Macri