PDA

View Full Version : Lord Yu Discussion

PugGate
April 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I think it's too bad we didn't get to delve into Lord Yu's character more. I always wondered how similar he was to other Chinese emperors. He likes tea, I think I saw a bonsai in the background in an episode and he had a generic chinese palace, but did he ever have a pug? Most emperors did. Well, the Goa'uld probably weren't that interested in pets :)

Blue Banrigh
April 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
They had human pets. :D

Yu certainly did seem more benevolent than most of the other System Lords, maybe he became a softie in his old age. Plus added points for having Oshu as his first prime.

Willow
April 9th, 2005, 07:07 AM
I think the only reason he was a 'softie' in his old age is because, as Daniel pointed out in err, Fair Game? that he had no power bases in our part of the Galaxy.

Also, because he was going senile maybe Oshu changed or refused to carry out his more extreme orders?

Lord Zedd
April 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I think the only reason he was a 'softie' in his old age is because, as Daniel pointed out in err, Fair Game? that he had no power bases in our part of the Galaxy.

Also, because he was going senile maybe Oshu changed or refused to carry out his more extreme orders?
yeah that is why indeed

Freyrs
April 9th, 2005, 07:49 AM
He probally also started loosing his mind from overuse of the Sarcophogus. He is one of the oldest system lords and probally has been using it longer.

Blue Banrigh
April 9th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Good point... well being apathetic is better than nothing I guess. :D

twiggy
April 9th, 2005, 09:25 AM
He probally also started loosing his mind from overuse of the Sarcophogus. He is one of the oldest system lords and probally has been using it longer.
too true, too true. poor guy. i always thought he was really cool. are we finally starting a thread for another dead guy?

PugGate
April 9th, 2005, 06:47 PM
too true, too true. poor guy. i always thought he was really cool. are we finally starting a thread for another dead guy?

(Whitey letters): Yes we are. Dead people are so much easier to discuss because they can't change due to the fact that they are dead! :)

Wandering Tamer
April 9th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Yeah, dead people are cool. In Stargate, they seem to be really popular characters. anyway, Lord Yu was cool. Personally, i was much sadder when his first prime died in Threads

Blue Banrigh
April 10th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Yeah, dead people are cool. In Stargate, they seem to be really popular characters. anyway, Lord Yu was cool. Personally, i was much sadder when his first prime died in Threads
OSHU DIED IN THREADS??!!! WHAT?! Was this in the extended version? I only saw the 42 min version and all I saw was the stabby with Yu. Ah nuts, I hoped he had survived.

Mr Prophet
April 10th, 2005, 01:38 AM

I think it was well-established in Fair Game that he was a softie in his young age as well. His mythological profile was noted as being more benevolent than other Goa'uld and he was widely considered throughout his time as 'the one we can trust'. Clearly he was a moderate, only by Goa'uld standards, sure, but a moderate nonetheless. Ba'al was probably forever denouncing him as a mealy-mouthed liberal.

"Following the uprising, Lord Yu executed half of the population! If this softly-softly approach continues, there will be anarchy!"

twiggy
April 14th, 2005, 05:03 PM
yea, that was more sad :(

Darth Buddha
April 14th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I think it was well-established in Fair Game that he was a softie in his young age as well. His mythological profile was noted as being more benevolent than other Goa'uld and he was widely considered throughout his time as 'the one we can trust'. Clearly he was a moderate, only by Goa'uld standards, sure, but a moderate nonetheless. Ba'al was probably forever denouncing him as a mealy-mouthed liberal.

"Following the uprising, Lord Yu executed half of the population! If this softly-softly approach continues, there will be anarchy!"
Oh, I love it.

Lord Yu is the liberal of the System Lords.

If the metaphor were any more perfect I think I'd cry.

PugGate
May 6th, 2005, 09:47 PM
OSHU DIED IN THREADS??!!! WHAT?! Was this in the extended version? I only saw the 42 min version and all I saw was the stabby with Yu. Ah nuts, I hoped he had survived.

Whitey letters: I would assume that the space station the Replicator's attacked in Reckoning was lost with all hands(and snakes). So I think it's safe to assume poor Oshu dies defending his masters corpse. :D

PugGate
May 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I wonder if we will see another Chinese Goa'uld? I forgot if Ameratsu was Chinese or Japanese.

Lida
May 7th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Oh, I love it.

Lord Yu is the liberal of the System Lords.

If the metaphor were any more perfect I think I'd cry.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I'm still laughing. Lord Yu, the liberal of the System Lords! Great DB, as usuaul. :D

PugGate
May 9th, 2005, 07:27 PM
When Daniel was in Lord Yu's chamber in "Summit," was there a Bonsai in the background?

Skydiver
May 9th, 2005, 07:40 PM
i like yu simply because he wasn't the cliched goauld. he wasn't pure evil.

in one way, he was simply a 'god' who was doing his best to protect and save his people. yeah, they were slaves, but still, Yu seemed to have a real sense of honor and integrity

that conflict made him interesting.

i think anubis was silly because he was the token baddie....yet i found baal much more intrigueing because he wasn't totally evil. he could cooperate and be manipulated/manipulate people

maybourne was the same way. in the beginning, he was just a cliche. until chain reaction. then he became conflicted and that conflict made him interesting

i really like Yu. he was a great character

PugGate
May 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
i like yu simply because he wasn't the cliched goauld. he wasn't pure evil.

in one way, he was simply a 'god' who was doing his best to protect and save his people. yeah, they were slaves, but still, Yu seemed to have a real sense of honor and integrity

that conflict made him interesting.

i think anubis was silly because he was the token baddie....yet i found baal much more intrigueing because he wasn't totally evil. he could cooperate and be manipulated/manipulate people

maybourne was the same way. in the beginning, he was just a cliche. until chain reaction. then he became conflicted and that conflict made him interesting

i really like Yu. he was a great character

Yes he was an awesome character. the conflict between being a psycho Goa'uld and an honorable god made him very interesting.

blueguy w/thehand
May 29th, 2005, 07:52 PM
yeah... anyone want some food?

Reefgirl
May 30th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I liked Lord Yu too, if like the Tok'ra the Goa'uld take on some of the host's personality the symbiote would have learned a sense of honour from his Chinese host as it's a big part of their way of life

If this load of old rambling makes any sense.