PDA

View Full Version : SG-1 Weaponry

Chachi
April 6th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I was watching a season 1 episode earlier and notived that SG-1 was just using MP-5 submachine guns. What other (earth)weapons have been primary arms for SG teams, and does anyone know why they switched to the P90's besides the kevlar-defeating bullets they fire and aesthetic purposes?

so far, I've been able to think of: M249 SAW, SPAS-12, M-4, MP-5, P90, and Tippmann Pneumatic 68 carbine paintball guns that they call tranquilizer guns.

oh, and those m-16 looking assault shotguns

anything else?

-Chachi

./freelancer
April 6th, 2005, 03:36 PM
and does anyone know why they switched to the P90's besides the kevlar-defeating bullets they fire and aesthetic purposes?

Because they are so much better, and waay cooler :cool: And the kevlar-defeating bullets should be reason enough ;)

Agent_Dark
April 6th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I was watching a season 1 episode earlier and notived that SG-1 was just using MP-5 submachine guns. What other (earth)weapons have been primary arms for SG teams, and does anyone know why they switched to the P90's besides the kevlar-defeating bullets they fire and aesthetic purposes?

so far, I've been able to think of: M249 SAW, SPAS-12, M-4, MP-5, P90, and Tippmann Pneumatic 68 carbine paintball guns that they call tranquilizer guns.

oh, and those m-16 looking assault shotguns

anything else?

-Chachi
Those M-16 looking shotguns are USAS automatic shotties :cool:

Teal'c uses a MM-1 auto grenade launcher in a few episodes (Death Knell for one) and Sam has her 'Carter Special' that she uses throughout Season7.

They first switched to the P-90 in the Season 4 episode 'The First One' (where Daniel gets captured by the Unas, and the rest of SG-1 go out to find him). O'Neill specifically asks for the P-90's before heading out, so I assume he wants them for the Armor Piercing rounds. Unas' have thick hides after all ;)

ColonelKlink
April 8th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I dont think SG-1 ever used them but there were some M-16A1's and XM177's being used by the base security and other sg teams. Actually now that i think of it, sam uses an XM177 in season 3 nemesis.

Panther
April 8th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Teal'c uses a MM-1 auto grenade launcher in a few episodes (Death Knell for one) and Sam has her 'Carter Special' that she uses throughout Season7.

Nooo! It's a 40mm Federal Multi-Launcher!

captain_kirk999
April 16th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Don't forget Daniel's 9mm!!! :)

P90's do look a lot cooler than the old MP-5's and they're also more compact, lighter and easier to carry around. Everyone in Atlantis carries a P90 and a 9mm, I don't remember seeing much else. When the Daedalus arrives maybe it should bring bigger weapons now that they know about the wraith threat, P90's aren't powerful enough to take down multiple wraith (wraiths?)

_Owen_
April 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM
your question can be answered with another question, why eat a rotten apple when you have a perfectly good chocolate bar in your hand? i would like to insert that the P-90 is the coolest weapon ever made. and it is not that a P-90 can't take down multiple wraiths, it can, the just regenerate, atlantis need weapons that will kill the wraith, the P-90's can deffinetly do some damage. but since the P-90's are so cool, i suggest for atlantis that they find someway to modify the P-90's so that they kill the wraith imediatly.

Anubis69
April 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Not to mention the macho rail guns they use in "The Seige part 2". When i saw those babies being rolled out, my heart soared.

randy
April 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Not to mention the macho rail guns they use in "The Seige part 2". When i saw those babies being rolled out, my heart soared.

I wan't some energy weapons for the sg1. Like mini-bullets but made of energy.

Besides the rail guns, has the SG1 command made any real weapons or defense that not been helped built by the Tok'ra or the Asgard? They need to be more original.

Anubis69
April 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I wan't some energy weapons for the sg1. Like mini-bullets but made of energy.

Besides the rail guns, has the SG1 command made any real weapons or defense that not been helped built by the Tok'ra or the Asgard? They need to be more original.
Rail gun bullets don't have to be made of energy, they can be projectiles as well but instead of being fired using gun powder etc. and other traditional mechanisms but accelerated by two powered rails. or is that a coil gun? either way, one is two rails, one is one rail but i can't remember which is which.

aAnubiSs
April 16th, 2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.powerlabs.org/coilgun.htm
http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun.htm

randy
April 16th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Rail gun bullets don't have to be made of energy, they can be projectiles as well but instead of being fired using gun powder etc. and other traditional mechanisms but accelerated by two powered rails. or is that a coil gun? either way, one is two rails, one is one rail but i can't remember which is which.

They said in the Siege that rail guns bullets were going at Mach 4 so probably gave us the illusion of energy weapons.

aAnubiSs
April 16th, 2005, 12:54 PM
They were going at Mach 5, and Mach 5 is just a velocity, why would it give us the illusion of energy weapons?

If it was an energy weapon there wouldn't be a 10,000 round limit since there's an atmosphere full of atoms.

Wandering Tamer
April 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM
If I recall correctly, the weapons that the Air Force people used in Children of the Gods didn't really effect the Jaffa that came through the gate. So maybe they switched to the armor peircing rounds because its effective against Jaffa armor. Just a thought.

Anubis69
April 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM
http://www.powerlabs.org/coilgun.htm
http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun.htm
Thanks for the links, cleared up a lot of grey areas!

randy
April 16th, 2005, 03:46 PM
They were going at Mach 5, and Mach 5 is just a velocity, why would it give us the illusion of energy weapons?

If it was an energy weapon there wouldn't be a 10,000 round limit since there's an atmosphere full of atoms.

I know that it isn't energy weapons but it did look like when I saw it.

_Owen_
April 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM
The speed that the ammunition moves, combined with the time between release of bullets, could make thousands of single bullets, appears as a stream of energy. But there is the possibility that they were state of the art weapons that fired bullets encased in an energy stream, sort of like energy bullets.

Owen Macri

DigiEmissary
April 16th, 2005, 11:31 PM

I geeked out on those too. :D

They should really backwards-engineer the staff weapon power source and use it. Maybe create a "bullet" that has a highly powerful but localized magnet field, so it grabs some plasma as it leaves the gun and releases it on impact.

_Owen_
April 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM
The speed that the ammunition moves, combined with the time between release of bullets, could make thousands of single bullets, appears as a stream of energy. But there is the possibility that they were state of the art weapons that fired bullets encased in an energy stream, sort of like energy bullets.

Owen Macri
Just an addition to this post, an example of this would be, if you shine a flashflight at a wall you only see the light when it hits the wall, you can't see the actual beam, because it is traveling to fast. If the bullets traveled faster, eg. at the speed of light, they would also not be visible.

Owen Macri

DigiEmissary
April 18th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Just an addition to this post, an example of this would be, if you shine a flashflight at a wall you only see the light when it hits the wall, you can't see the actual beam, because it is traveling to fast. If the bullets traveled faster, eg. at the speed of light, they would also not be visible.

Owen Macri

Unfortunately, physical bullets couldn't move at the speed of light because they'd gain infinite mass.

However, that only applies to the normal universe, so they could use... subspace bullets!

_Owen_
April 18th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Ya, I know that they couldn't I was just using that as an example, I only said that the bullets were travelling very fast, then I used that as an example.

Using subspace bullets would be a good idea because than, if they aimed well, they would always hit whatever they were aiming at. The enemy also wouldn't be able to see what was being shot at them untill it was to late.

Owen Macri

lostncybr
April 18th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Owen Macri

Actually small projectile that is immediately fired at Mach 5 speeds in an oxygen rich environment would start to cause the air to actually turn to plasma and get pulled along with the projectile. If project fast enough the projectile would also plasma but would not lose it's kinetic nor stored energy in fact it would gain mass because of the air being plasmaed would also be very dense. So besides having the stored energy (the projectiles mass) it would also have the kentic energy (from the speed of the projectile) and now the additional stored and kenetic energy from the air being plasmaed, but also the raw energy of the heat being created that could vaporize 12" of solid steel in a nanosecond. It would look like tracer fire.

_Owen_
April 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM
That is what I was getting at, thank you for reinforcing my point I didn't think that it was necesary however to mention that, but thank you anyway.

Owen Macri

m-16 a2
July 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Most teams use a combination of MP5's, M-16 a2's and a4's, anti air portable rocket launchers, P 90's, a variety of sniper rifles, and what appears to be a standard issue pistol. They switched to P 90's most likely because they are short ranged, urban combat assault rifles meaning they are beeter for close range combat, and because P 90's have 50 round clips.

freyr's mother
July 5th, 2006, 09:30 AM
You knowl, a nice 50 caliber bullet to the head from a Barrett sniper rife would take a wraith down pretty quickly.

mother-goose
July 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM
i'm pretty sure they have used various versions of the M4, especially the deffence teams. I have wondered why they dont use them more often, the carbine version is quite small, pretty light and can have a silencer fitted.

obviously i know the p90 is just sexy so i'll leave it be lol im a fan of it anyway.

i cant remember what the weapons were that the ruskies used but they did talk about it in "the tomb" i think.
something that has bugged me, have you ever seen anyone firing the .50 cal's in the gate room? even in avatar they werent being fired.

ooo and its just come to be, i think its evolution part to that they are using a 12.7mm machine gun.

freyr's mother
July 5th, 2006, 09:44 AM
i'm pretty sure they have used various versions of the M4, especially the deffence teams. I have wondered why they dont use them more often, the carbine version is quite small, pretty light and can have a silencer fitted.

obviously i know the p90 is just sexy so i'll leave it be lol im a fan of it anyway.

i cant remember what the weapons were that the ruskies used but they did talk about it in "the tomb" i think.
something that has bugged me, have you ever seen anyone firing the .50 cal's in the gate room? even in avatar they werent being fired.

ooo and its just come to be, i think its evolution part to that they are using a 12.7mm machine gun.
I think one of the dudes had an SVD.

SG-1ssm
July 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
If I recall correctly, the weapons that the Air Force people used in Children of the Gods didn't really effect the Jaffa that came through the gate. So maybe they switched to the armor peircing rounds because its effective against Jaffa armor. Just a thought.
That's what I always thought.

Dutch_Razor
July 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
SG3 used a M107 (or it was the X109 , cant remember)

Zatnikitelman
July 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Don't forget about the most awesome, the coolest, the overall best weapon around.
*drumroll*
The Zatnikitel
*cough*my username*cough*

mburrows
July 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM
guns seen in sg1 used by sg teams:

m16

m203

m249

p90

mp5

mp7

g36

m4

m4, carter's variant

9mm berreta

m-60

Striker/Streetsweeper/Protecta shotgun(except it was using grenades)
or it could just be a Milkor MGL Mk.1 40mm grenade launcher

SPAS-12

USAS 12

AK-74

AK-47U

HK-PSG1

i beleive the m79 40mm grenade launcher, but i could be wrong
'
40mm Mortar Launcher

im sure there are more

Redzephyr
July 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Remind me when a PSG-1 was used, please. I've never seen one in Stargate...
Are you confusing it with the G3 SG/1 Jack uses in Orpheus?

SG-1ssm
July 6th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Tippmann Pneumatic 68 carbine paintball guns that they call tranquilizer guns.

lol! They accually use paintball guns?

freyr's mother
July 6th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Yeah, Tippmann 98 man. What, you think they're gonna spend $1000 or more on some traq gun when they could get a Tippman 98 for like $200. They need to save every penny they can because of the high cost of the VFX and space battle sequences.

Zatnikitelman
July 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
To correct one thing said earlier, even at Mach 5 bullets wouldn't go fast enough to create a plasma. They would undoubtedly get VERy hot and maybe glow depending on composition, but they would NOT plasmify.

Redzephyr
July 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, Tippmann 98 man. What, you think they're gonna spend $1000 or more on some traq gun when they could get a Tippman 98 for like $200. They need to save every penny they can because of the high cost of the VFX and space battle sequences. They aren't 98s that are used. Like originally stated, I'm pretty sure it's a 68 Carbine. Even if that's wrong, it is definitely not a 98.

freyr's mother
July 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
They aren't 98s that are used. Like originally stated, I'm pretty sure it's a 68 Carbine. Even if that's wrong, it is definitely not a 98.
What are you talking about 68 carbine?

mburrows
July 8th, 2006, 12:05 AM

no, they are dart guns lol, im sure paintbal companies got the design from the military dart guns

Remind me when a PSG-1 was used, please. I've never seen one in Stargate...
Are you confusing it with the G3 SG/1 Jack uses in Orpheus?

actually there is no suck thing as a "G3 SG/1" it is a PSG-1, hk makes the g3, the psg-1 is using the design of the g3(mostly) but has the specs of the sniper rifle, quite accurate if your arent continuosly firing over and over

and well, yeah

Chachi
July 11th, 2006, 09:35 AM
no, they are dart guns lol, im sure paintbal companies got the design from the military dart guns

You are quite wrong, my friend. Those are Tippmann Pneumatic .68 Carbine paintball guns with the end cap replaced by a tube to hold a 'dart'.

I met many of the people that work for and own Tippmann Pneumatics, and can assure you with 100% certainty that they are the originators of that design. Also, with the way that particular gun is designed, in the show they place the ammunition behind the valve mechanism, which doesn't make any sense at all. Tippmann also developed the valve mechanism for the screw-in CO2 tanks that power those guns, I believe their patent says 1986 on that, it could be 1987.

Sorry, you're wrong.

-Chachi

wise one
July 12th, 2006, 05:36 AM
why could'nt sg-1 use kull warriors armour as part of there defense since they are likely to be shot by jaffa or enventually the ori soldiers it would of helped in many ocasions
e.g. babylon when mitchell was shot would of helped him
stronghold. would helped the unit to save tealc quicker

and we noe that the stargate command have loads or a few kull armour that they collected.

batweb
July 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM
actually there is no suck thing as a "G3 SG/1" it is a PSG-1, hk makes the g3, the psg-1 is using the design of the g3(mostly) but has the specs of the sniper rifle, quite accurate if your arent continuosly firing over and over

and well, yeah

Actually the G3SG/1 is the gun based on the G3 with extra modifications for more acurate sniping (SG standing for Scharfsch├╝tzengewehr or sharp shooting rifle) hence it retains a fully auto setting on its trigger group.
While the PSG-1 was specificaly designed as a semi auto-matic rifle with high accuracy and large shot capacity.

Also two variants of P90 have been used, the Standard with the MC-10-80 Reflex sight (modified with and additional left hand rail, not available on the real steel) and the P90 TR which has a triple RIS and no MC-10-80.

m-16 a2
July 13th, 2006, 04:40 PM
And I thought I knew a lot about guns! You guys appear to be experts!