This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wheel of Time and other Scifi Fantasy books/authors

Anybody read this series?? I love it. I'm quite caught up yet, i'm only at The Path of Daggers, but i've loved it so far.

Who else does??

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Originally posted by GEWbert
    Anybody read this series?? I love it. I'm quite caught up yet, i'm only at The Path of Daggers, but i've loved it so far.

Who else does??
    Yeah, when I was little I read it. I thought it was lame.

Comment

the most pathetic piece of drivel i've ever read...

unfortunately i got sucked in for 9 books...

thank god ebay helped me recoup some of that money.
      Thanks!
      Jordan

my page
      My LJ
      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Never got past the first book, even though I've started it about four times. It moved too slowly for me.

Comment

Wow, a bunch of haters here...

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by GEWbert
            Wow, a bunch of haters here...
            Hate would be too strong a word... perhaps... apathy is a better word.

Just to clarify, we're talking about Robert Jordan's books right?

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

My dad and I started reading them when I was around 13 I think and I really loved the series up until about the 6th book when it became apparent that he was just milking the story and dragging it out in order to make more books. I find it amazing that he can have a 1000 page book in which nothing much really happens. It's frustrating. Not to mention that you have to wait eons for the next book to come out and by then you've forgotten what's happened in the last book. It's great that you can enjoy it but investing years of my life in reading and waiting for those books only to find that the story barely moves forward at all is pretty frustrating. And yet his strategy was pretty brilliant cuz I keep reading the books as they come out in the vain hope that I can know how it all ends.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Are they really not exciting? I was under the impression they were. My siblings have read them and I've considered starting them. But after what you all say I'm not sure. You wanna know some really great books, The Celtic Crusades, it's a trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead. Better stop before I go too much off topic!
                  "Do you people practice being vague?"

Comment

I dunno about exciting, I can't really remember anything distinct about that world, it just seemed like generic sword and magic fantasy to me. But that's just me. Power to you if you can get through those books.

If ya want interesting worlds and unique magic, I suggest David Farland's Runelord series. That particular story arch over and done with in five books and the magic system, way cool.

Comment

the first 2, maybe 3 books layed the ground work for what could have been a really great world to work in.

unfortunately, there isn't a single original thought presented in his books. if you've read, LOTR, Shannara and the Belgariad (and let's face it the last two titles there are derivative of the first) you really don't need to read these.

he uses absolutely every cliche and stereotype in the fantasy genre and uses them poorly.

as somebody above mentioned, for a long running series, you've got to wait a heck of a long time tween installments. i read book one in paperback in 90 or 91 and gave up after book 9 two yrs, or so, ago.

he writes simply to hear himself speak. as of the time i gave up, the series could have been edited down to probably 5 books and not have lost anything of note, because so little of note happens. hundreds of pages can pass between character actions. and i don't mean buildup to a critical battle. decisions like whether to use the chamber pot or not are given too much weight. thousands of years of history of the chamber pot, the secret meanings of the inscriptions on the pot and where the pot fits into the wheel are given. only for the character to decide to use a tree.

i can see where it might be interesting for younger readers who have not had a chance to fully explore the fantasy genere and discover great, or even mediocre writers, but if you're over 20 and have read anything at all in the last 15 years, these are not good.

all opinions contained in this post are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the feelings of gateworld, its moderators or its host.
                      Thanks!
                      Jordan

my page
                      My LJ
                      From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Yeah he is definitely milking the series out. The series was pretty good until the battle at Dumai Wells. Since then 4 books about finding a bowl to fix the weather,Elayne's mom's travel, and about Perrin looking for his terrible wife.
                        If Jordan went on a much much much needed killing spree and killed off half of his characters and 2/3 of his view point characters the books would be about 10 times better. Why is Bayle Domon a character much less a vp one? Boors was threatened like 6 books ago by two different Forsaken with conflicting orders and he is still alive. Kill Aviendha and Flail for just being extremely annoying.

Comment

Plus I'm not sure what I make of the whole Rand having 3 wives/girlfriends/whatever angle. I'm not a prude but it just seems like he's playing out a teenage fantasy or something. I actually started reading Terry Goodkind and am loving his books.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                            Plus I'm not sure what I make of the whole Rand having 3 wives/girlfriends/whatever angle. I'm not a prude but it just seems like he's playing out a teenage fantasy or something. I actually started reading Terry Goodkind and am loving his books.
                            I tried Terry Goodkind...Wizard's First Rule was good. Then I go to the fourth or fifth book, and I realized the plots of his books could be summed up thus: Our heros fight the baddie, defeat the baddie, but in the process release ANOTHER baddie who they will fight in the next book. *groan*

The Wheel of Time was supposedly planned as a trilogy. I always find that funny. Let me know when Moiraine comes back from the dead. I may pick up the series then.

Good fantasy writers for me are Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaimen, and Terry Brooks.

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

I like a nice simple fantasy book.
                              Good guy gets hurt, good guy goes for a walk, good guy beats bad guy.

Every fantasy book I've come across has this: Terry Brooks, David Eddings, even Tolkien had it. The problem I have is that there are 1,000 pages to LOTR and people think thats long. On average Jordon's books are about 800 pages long and there have already been 10 of them. Thats just way too long.

Saying that, I still read each of the new books because I want to see how/ if he is ever going to finish it. There are parts of the books I like but it just gets tedious trying to read through it all. I liked them, but unless you have a lot of patience then I wouldn't advise investing in them.
                              The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                              The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                              Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                              Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                              Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                              X