• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 referred to in Republican Commentary

From the GOPUSA website:

http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/cmo...cdm_0601.shtml

(For the complete article, please follow the link. This is NOT an
    official government site, but a private political web site.)

The Backlash Against the Left
    By Carol Devine-Molin
    June 1, 2004

There's a backlash underway in America and it's not unexpected. It's
    in direct response to the overwhelming level of bile being spewed at
    President George W.Bush and his administration by the arrogant Left-
    wingers - and I'm specifically referencing the Democratic politicos,
    the news media crowd, the New York/Hollywood elites and the halls of
    academia. Bush-bashing is not limited to news programming and
    university campuses. It's now cropping up in the popular culture of
    America as well - I'll get to that later. More importantly, a little
    more than half of the American populace has dug in its heels and made
    clear that it refuses to eat the garbage that the so-called "liberal
    intelligencia" is attempting to force-feed it.

**snippity doo dah**

In any event, a few months back I watched the season finale
    of "Stargate SG 1", and I noticed the use of some liberal anti-Bush
    buzz words - The character Jack O'Neill said he would never vote for
    those "two shrubs" now in the White House, which was followed-up by a
    creepy remark about the presidential election in Florida. Moreover,
    the newly elected vice-president was portrayed as an incredibly evil
    man with his own agenda, aligning himself with a rogue faction of a
    super-secret intelligence organization that was bent on
    selling "alien" devices for big bucks in tandem with major
    corporations. (Please, this is SciFi screwball stuff, so here "alien"
    is from another planet, not another country).

It was apparently a veiled reference, albeit from the typical liberal
    viewpoint, to Vice-President Cheney as an unethical man who was
    selling out his nation for contracts with big-business (Halliburton).
    Yeah, yeah they'll say I'm reading things into the episode that
    weren't there, but given the overall context of the dialog, I think
    my impressions are right on target. Frankly, I resent these types of
    manipulations, which clearly should not have been incorporated into a
    popular TV series during an election year. But again, these liberal
    activists in the entertainment field think that it's their right to
    engage in improprieties when they're taking potshots at
    conservatives. It's certainly a producer's right to voice their
    creative expression. Likewise, it's the prerogative of conservatives
    to actively reject programming that is hostile to our national
    leaders. Most of the nation understands that Vice-President Cheney is
    doing a fine job, but it's very unfortunate that Cheney has become a
    punching bag for the Left.

--------------------

Note -- The opinions expressed in this column are those of the author
    and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, and/or philosophy
    of GOPUSA.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Lol.

You'd sure as heck be laughed out of Academia for referencing "SciFi screwball stuff" in a serious essay, but I guess the political sphere is more forgiving ::snort::

PS. I wonder if she knows most of the people who work on the show are Canadian?
    Fitness Buddies

Comment

Just an opinion,IMO! Valid views and comparisons with RL for some readers,BS for others................

At least the author seems to have actually watched some Stargate SG-1!

Maybe other Posters will view her POV more critically.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Sicarius
        Lol.

You'd sure as heck be laughed out of Academia for referencing "SciFi screwball stuff" in a serious essay, but I guess the political sphere is more forgiving ::snort::

PS. I wonder if she knows most of the people who work on the show are Canadian?
        Good points !
        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

As Jafana was saying to me earlier today...

Kinsey has been evil since before Bush was even running for election.

Him being vice president was a natural evolution of his long-running aspiration to President.

So, in my opinion, it was just a coincidence.

But different people see things different ways.

Comment

Jeez, how is Kinsey based on Cheney? He's been a (evil) character on the show for seven years already.
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Well, I've always thought there was too much political BS of any stripe on Stargate, anyway.

I'm sure the press coverage will end up doing the show more good than harm. "Even bad press is good press." *rolls eyes*

Comment

*dies in laughter*

oh man...that's just silly. people take things too seriously. people take stargate too seriously...i mean, its a television show!

I think they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find stuff to whine about...go whine about the west wing or something...not stargate..

geez...

of course it might be a bit of publicity for stargate...but gah...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                  As Jafana was saying to me earlier today...

Kinsey has been evil since before Bush was even running for election.

Him being vice president was a natural evolution of his long-running aspiration to President.

So, in my opinion, it was just a coincidence.

But different people see things different ways.
                  Yeah...this was a natural progression of Kinsey's evil, as well as his position, that has been going on for a LONNNNGGGG time. I wonder what the writers have to say about that comment?

Who is that guy? I'm not going to vote for him...I don't want someone making decisions based upon assumptions while only knowing hardly any of the information.
                  "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

And of course, the writer failed to mention that the President (who would have to belong to the same political party as Kinsey) in the same episode was portrayed as an honest good guy.
                    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

That's one thing I dislike about people -- they see one thing and think of another. I bet the author probably hasn't watched any episode other than season 7's, because he/she would probably be logical enough to realize that this was part of his character's evolution (an presumably something that was bound to happen eventually).
                      Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                      Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                      Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                      Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                      Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                      Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                      Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

This is really ridiculous. I'm having a hard time taking it seriously.

Besides, Kinsey's behavior in "Inauguration" and "Lost City" is a natural progression from his introduction in Season One's "Politics."
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

So now Stargate SG-1 is part of the great left-wing conspiracy? Yeesh. It never fails to amaze me the things that people see. The shrubs comment I did pick up on but I thought it was funny. Of course I'm not a Republican so that may explain that.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I thought the "shrubs" comment *was* a jab at Bush and wondered at the time if it was an RDA adlib. Maybe we'll find out when the DVD commentary is released. Didn't think it was any big deal, although I'd prefer they keep the political stuff to a minimum.

As I recall there was a comment in a much earlier season where Jack said he (paraphrasing) "had a few things he'd like to discuss with the President". RDA delivered the line with kind of a smirk and my mind immediately went to Clinton as it was in the midst of all his little scandals.

The other stuff, about Kinsey, etc. is just plain silly.

Why anyone has to reach to make these connections is beyond me. There's enough political stuff in the entertainment industry to make fun of rather than pick on Stargate.
                            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

WARNING: Possible SPOILERS AHEAD for Season 7 Finale, Season 8, and my own personal political beliefs. Proceed with caution...

Originally posted by morjana
                              From the GOPUSA website:

http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/cmo...cdm_0601.shtml

(For the complete article, please follow the link. This is NOT an
                              official government site, but a private political web site.)

The Backlash Against the Left
                              By Carol Devine-Molin
                              June 1, 2004

... In any event, a few months back I watched the season finale of "Stargate SG 1"...
                              Actually, Ms. Devine-Molin, you must have been watching the first part of the season finale. Snit-picky, I realize, but SciFi Channel is currently re-running the season and you wouldn't want thousands of your readers tuning in to criticize the wrong episode. The final episode of the season features references to Uma Thurman's body, a fiery planet, evil aliens on power-trips and mysterious ancient healing technologies. Of course, you could just interpret this as sex, hell, false gods and miracles. Maybe you're saving that for another column?

The character Jack O'Neill said he would never vote for those "two shrubs" now in the White House, which was followed-up by a creepy remark about the presidential election in Florida.
                              To be fair, Jack O'Neill (a fictional character) never actually stated his vote. He simply wondered if anyone in the room knew anyone who voted for the (fictional) candidates. Again, I admit this may be snitpicky, but details are usually important in journalism. The fact that you connect the word "shrub" to the current real life US President and Vice President only proves that you are an aficionado of word play. As you know, the word bush is used to refer to some types of small, woody plants. The word shrub is also used to refer to small, woody plants. George H.W. Bush was the 41st President of the US. His son, George W. Bush is now the 43rd President of the US. "Shrub" is simply an affectionate and cute way of saying spawn. (Technically, a bush is a small, woody shrub, so the word play should actually be reversed.)

Additionally, the remark about the presidential election in Florida ("he delivered Florida all by himself") did not immediately follow the comment about shrubs. It was made by the (fictional) President. As you know, the US Presidential elections are handled by the Electoral College. Florida alone delivers 10% of the electoral votes needed to win a Presidential election. Only New York, Texas and California deliver more electoral votes; those four states together deliver over 50% of the votes needed to win. If you do the math on that one, any candidate who can "deliver Florida" is an important asset to any Presidential campaign, regardless of political affiliation. I fail to see how such a remark is, as you put it, "creepy". Unless, of course, you think there is something inherently "creepy" about Florida elections in general. Just a thought...

Moreover, the newly elected vice-president was portrayed as an incredibly evil man with his own agenda, aligning himself with a rogue faction of a super-secret intelligence organization that was bent on selling "alien" devices for big bucks in tandem with major corporations. ... It was apparently a veiled reference, albeit from the typical liberal viewpoint, to Vice-President Cheney as an unethical man who was selling out his nation for contracts with big-business (Halliburton).
                              Hey, you said that. No one who has followed Stargate SG-1 believes that the fictional Kinsey is based on the real life Vice President of the United States. He (Kinsey) is, in fact, one of the more popular cinematic cliches: the Evil Politician. He ranks right up there with Bumbling Scientist, the Sexy Alien and the Dumb Redneck. He's been evil since 1998 and no one has ever mistaken him for a sheep in wolf's clothing. Personally, I keep waiting for his head to start spinning and spewing green goo, but that's another story...

It's certainly a producer's right to voice their creative expression. Likewise, it's the prerogative of conservatives to actively reject programming that is hostile to our national leaders.
                              I fail to understand how calling anyone a "shrub" and stating a fact about the Electoral College (albeit within the context of fictional dialogue) could be considered to be, in your words, "hostile". Critical, maybe, but hostile? It's too bad that this means you might be skipping Season 8, where we're likely to see (***spoiler in here...highlight to read***) Earth ally itself with an enemy, a leader who may be ill-equipped to handle his responsibilities, an Evil Businessman (there's that cliche thing again) and maybe even a little sex! It's a great show and you really should tune in more often.

Believe me...if you're looking for political discourse, you don't have to go to science fiction to get it. There's plenty on the front page of any newspaper (which is generally not considered fiction).

Cheers,
                              mo
                              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                              once done, cannot be undone...
                              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
                              X