Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
    well as far as the casting of a "babyface" for the role of Pete-it was my understanding that
    Spoiler:
    they were down to their last nerve, as it were-and cast him because he was available
    -no i could be wrong-and most of the time I am-so if someone knows different...

It is my humble opinion that Pete was to have been a one hit wonder-but because of the uproar
    Spoiler:
    which i think they took personally-they decided to rub it in

but as i said, it is my two cents worth-so i take full responsibility for it.
    Hollywood is filled with good looking guys who can act just as good as DDL. They didn't have a problem finding a
    Spoiler:
    good looking gal for Jack
    . I personally don't think they tried very hard. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking DDL, it is just I don't think he was a good match or believable boyfriend for Sam.
    Last edited by Rogue; 28 March 2005, 04:36 AM.
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
      Hollywood is filled with good looking guys who can act just as good as DDL. They didn't have a problem finding a
      Spoiler:
      good looking gal for Jack
      . I personally don't think they tried very hard. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking DDL, it is just I don't think he was a good match or believable boyfriend for Sam.
      my guess on that Rogue
      Spoiler:
      they didn't want to be hated. the gal who played kerry was supposed to be a one-hit wonder that was to talk sense into Jack. She was not well known-after Coach-what has she done? Anybody with 1/4 of a brain knows that anyone stepping in between jack and sam was a redshirt-and mud
      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

my guess on that Rogue
        Spoiler:
        they didn't want to be hated. the gal who played kerry was supposed to be a one-hit wonder that was to talk sense into Jack. She was not well known-after Coach-what has she done? Anybody with 1/4 of a brain knows that anyone stepping in between jack and sam was a redshirt-and mud
        I have to agree. IMO, the PTB were too close to this storyline to understand the "waves" that would be rippling through Stargate fandom. The Stargate fandom may not be very large, but there is money in conventions and merchandising. IMO, I can see Clare Carey being invited to a convention, sitting on a panel, and talking about her
        Spoiler:
        "bedroom" scene with RDA.
        Men would just watch Clare speak, and women would be imagining themselves in her place. However, I don't think DDL would ever be invited to a convention. His character was too divisive. Can you imagine the type of questions he would be asked? I can't think of another character on Stargate that wouldn't be of interest at a convention. Even Ronny Cox, as hated as Kinsey is, would be interesting to hear on a panel as would be Tom McBeath.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by SNY
          At last! A good threat about their relationship!

Let begins this thread with this question:

What do you think is going to happen between them in season 9?

SNY
          As for what I think (as opposed to what I would want/desire) to happen
          Spoiler:
          I can honestly see no ship being written. If it does, it would be just cursory mentions, especially given no AT for at least the 1st 5 shows (the ones RDA is filming spots for right now) and the fact he may/may not put in a guest appearance later . TPTB (JM & others) seem to think that they pretty much resolved everything to do with S/J ship with Threads and the end of M2. Their focus is on Atlantis and on getting Stargate: The Next Team off the ground. The old characters are only useful to them now in so far as it promotes the new focuses of the show and keeps some of us watching (in hopes that we’ll like the new SG1 and will keep watching). I mean look at S4… Ship everywhere for the first ¾ of the season, then next to nothing for the next 3 years… and that was with all of the actors available and in the show.

What would I want/desire? Same as I did for Season 8.
          Spoiler:
          At the barest minimum, a bit of completely unambiguous dialogue that left *no* room for interpretation concerning where they relationship was and would be going. Even just one minute of clear concise dialogue. If allowed more -- a touch or two would be nice, to show that S & J were finally comfortable showing what they felt for each other openly in front of others. And if really allowed more… a non-AU kiss along the lines of the Grace kiss… I’m not looking for a wedding, marriage, and kids or HWMS. Heck, I’d even give up wanting to know what went on in that adult convo that may/may not have taken place. I just want to know that after 8 years of unrealistically dragging a ship out the TPTB are actually allowing them to have a relationship that isn’t open to misinterpretation. (And yes... my opinion is that both Threads and M2 still left things wide open to interpretation....)
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Extremely simple inexpensive way of showing the ship firmly resolved and RDA wouldn't even be necessary for the scene.

Sam (on phone): I love you, too. Bye. (hangs up and turns to Daniel and Teal'c) Jack says hi.

Done... Finito... Over. Take maybe 15 seconds of a scene and leave absolutely no doubt as to the "adult convo" taking place. It would have had to in order to get to that level of intimacy even on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
              Extremely simple inexpensive way of showing the ship firmly resolved and RDA wouldn't even be necessary for the scene.

Sam (on phone): I love you, too. Bye. (hangs up and turns to Daniel and Teal'c) Jack says hi.

Done... Finito... Over. Take maybe 15 seconds of a scene and leave absolutely no doubt as to the "adult convo" taking place. It would have had to in order to get to that level of intimacy even on the phone.
              What a great idea! It's so simple, but yet so fulfilling to the shippers in the world! From your lips to the script.
              -girlgater

Comment

*applause* I agree, what a great way to get around .... well, everything
                Now, if you were being a PTB and wanted to maintain your fence-walking, you could even just have her talking on the phone for a bit, about a trip, how she can't wait, then pause, and "me too" How many things do people say on the phone at the end of a convo that you reply "me too" to? I hate to bring up the memory but do you all remember in Reckoning when
                Spoiler:
                Pete phones the base while she's in the conference with Selmak, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c, and she murmers "me too" down the phone to him while looking really embarassed and hesitant?
                well, I think you could do something similar with Sam and Jack, it's all about the attitude and physical reaction at the time.
                And it's something subtle enough to be ignored by all the anti-shippers etc. We KNOW he said "I love you" and she said she loves him back

It's not the firm 100% sure resolution I'd prefer to see, but I honestly can't see them spending what little time RDA has on set next season on ship I think they think they've done their dash on it, and answered the ship question definitively - we know they're hallucinating, until there's no ambiguity I'll always be wanting MORE

Comment

Yeah that would do it. There are alot of little things they could do to show resolution such as a picture of each other on their desk. I am not selective at this point, I have been living on bread crumbs for 8 years.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                    What would I want/desire? Same as I did for Season 8.
                    Spoiler:
                    At the barest minimum, a bit of completely unambiguous dialogue that left *no* room for interpretation concerning where they relationship was and would be going. Even just one minute of clear concise dialogue. If allowed more -- a touch or two would be nice, to show that S & J were finally comfortable showing what they felt for each other openly in front of others. And if really allowed more… a non-AU kiss along the lines of the Grace kiss… I’m not looking for a wedding, marriage, and kids or HWMS. Heck, I’d even give up wanting to know what went on in that adult convo that may/may not have taken place. I just want to know that after 8 years of unrealistically dragging a ship out the TPTB are actually allowing them to have a relationship that isn’t open to misinterpretation. (And yes... my opinion is that both Threads and M2 still left things wide open to interpretation....)
                    I agree. And even with parts of fandom and parts of the ppl making this show want to make us feel, it's *not* too much to ask for.

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater

(snip)

It's not the firm 100% sure resolution I'd prefer to see, but I honestly can't see them spending what little time RDA has on set next season on ship I think they think they've done their dash on it, and answered the ship question definitively - we know they're hallucinating, until there's no ambiguity I'll always be wanting MORE
                      You've brought up something that I've been thinking about recently. What would make me satisfied to the point of not needing and/or wanting 'more'? What exactly does 'this' shipper want? Take the romance, hand holding, kissing, loving looks, and passion of the Sam/Pete scenes in the first half of Chimera and make it between Sam and Jack. That's what I've *always* wanted between them, which is why Chimera broke my heart so. Anything less will 'always' make me want/need more. And even if they did show it... I'd want to see more. Is that a curse of a blessing?

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
                        Yeah that would do it. There are alot of little things they could do to show resolution such as a picture of each other on their desk. I am not selective at this point, I have been living on bread crumbs for 8 years.
                        crumbs?? crumbs?? you mean we actually had that for 8 years-I figured we were subsisting on air. I just can't seem to figure
                        Spoiler:
                        that they are actually either gonna ignore it in season 9 or try and play it out for another season. boggles the old mind ya know.
                        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          You've brought up something that I've been thinking about recently. What would make me satisfied to the point of not needing and/or wanting 'more'? What exactly does 'this' shipper want? Take the romance, hand holding, kissing, loving looks, and passion of the Sam/Pete scenes in the first half of Chimera and make it between Sam and Jack. That's what I've *always* wanted between them, which is why Chimera broke my heart so. Anything less will 'always' make me want/need more. And even if they did show it... I'd want to see more. Is that a curse of a blessing?

Sally
                          well it could be a little bit of both you know-a blessing and a curse. my big "fear" for season 9-and i know I am repeating myself
                          Spoiler:
                          that they will either ignore it-or play it out for another year

Comment

Ok-I have a thought/questions concerning Jacob in Threads-so hopefully I am not out of line posting here-if I am -please let me know-but here goes:

Spoiler:
                            why did Jacob have a such a drastic reaction to Pete? I mean-really negative-it was like he didn't Pete from the getgo-and I would like some speculation.

Sam didn't let on that she was happy-I had no clue that she was having second, third or whatever thoughts about marrying Pete. But from the minute he showed up on her doorstep in the SGC it was like-where is there another way out? What did Jacob pick up on? What did know? What did he feel? And do you suppose-that deleted jacob/jack scene gave him the first inkling of something or just solidified it???? thanx

Comment

*takes a breath and finally wanders into the ship stuff*
                              pittsburghgirl, here's my take: Jacob's reaction didn't seem too out of place to me. It wasn't that he thought Pete was an awful person, but they'd been going out a substantial time (ENGAGED!) and he still wasn't close to coming to grips with the world his girlfriend lives in. Jacob's well aware and been present at a few of the many times Sam has literally helped save the world. And Pete was still stuck on the "you really have one of those things in your head?!" That doesn't make him a bad person, but perhaps not the best match for Sam.

I love some of the suggestions I've seen here for season 9. Personally, I don't want a huge, over-the-top love scene etc. I do want to see the ship addressed in no uncertain terms, but some of the softer, more intimate suggestions I've seen here (some where RDA doesn't even have to be around!) are more what I'd like. To me, something spectacular feels like something that is done for a newer relationship and although they've never been able to express it directly, Sam and Jack have a pretty deep bond, like they've been together all along.
                              And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                              Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                              Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                              Daniel: Oh! You see?
                              Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Ok-I have a thought/questions concerning Jacob in Threads-so hopefully I am not out of line posting here-if I am -please let me know-but here goes:

Spoiler:
                                why did Jacob have a such a drastic reaction to Pete? I mean-really negative-it was like he didn't Pete from the getgo-and I would like some speculation.

Sam didn't let on that she was happy-I had no clue that she was having second, third or whatever thoughts about marrying Pete. But from the minute he showed up on her doorstep in the SGC it was like-where is there another way out? What did Jacob pick up on? What did know? What did he feel? And do you suppose-that deleted jacob/jack scene gave him the first inkling of something or just solidified it???? thanx
                                I'd like to think that Jacob
                                Spoiler:
                                just knew that Pete wasn't right for Sam. He must have had an idea that she really belonged with Jack; that they had such chemistry. Perhaps it was a conversation that Jack/Jacob had that wasn't shown. Anyway, I think that Jacob wanted the best for Sam and he knew that it was Jack.
                                -girlgater

Comment

Working...
                                X