Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VSS, I'd love to help as well and I'd love dibs on 'Desperate Measures'

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
    Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I had actually noticed the armband issue and it actually bugged me to no end! I couldn't come up with a logical explanation for myself and so it would irritate me whenever I would watch the episode.

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
      (snip)

For the armbands, I'd never thought of it before! My first thought is maybe it has something to do with the ATA gene. The armbands could've been influenced by the Ancients, or perhaps the race which developed them had the ATA gene. Because Jack has the (yet to be discovered ) ATA gene perhaps his body allowed the virus to last a little longer in his body, or it was something that his body didn't initially recognize as a virus thanks to the ATA gene, therefore took longer to recognize and overcome.
      I really like this explanation-it makes sense to me!

Originally posted by VSS View Post
      It's age-related. Immune systems are better the younger you are (except the very young). I don't know if the writers knew that, but that's the way it would work in "real life". So kudos to them. And to you for noticing it in the first place!

(Which is odd because I have a WIP that uses that very point! Are you in my head?)
      So VSS, are you saying it's because their (Sam's and Daniel's) immune systems are younger, it took their bodies less time to attack the virus and eliminate the use of the armbands? (I"m not very science minded)
      sigpic
      Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252 View Post
        I also just discovered this thread, and I look forward to some great discussions here.

I have a topic that involves Jack and Sam, but isn't really shippy, so I hope you don't mind. (It also involves Daniel - get your mind out of the gutter, I didn't mean like that!) I've thought about this a long time, and tried to bring it up on the Family thread, but there was just too much else going on for people to discuss it.

In Upgrades, we find out that the armbands Jack, Sam, and Daniel are wearing stay on because it puts a virus into their systems, and when the body's immune system defeats the virus, the armbands come off.

This being the case, to me, this means that Jack, who had the armband first and kept it on the longest, has the weakest immune system. Sam's would be stronger, and Daniel's the strongest yet because his immune system defeated the virus before either Jack or Sam's.

What does everybody else think? Is there another explanation for the fact that Daniel and Sam, who got their armbands last, had theirs come off before Jack did?
        Maybe Daniel was first because of his allergy medication? That was why he and Janet weren't effected in Broca Divide. It seemed to me like he might have been slower to start seeing the enhancements too.

As for Sam, could Jolinar have had any effect? I mean didn't Jolinar's blending do good things for Sam, like Jacob/Selmak things, so residually she would have a healthier, stronger body?

And for Jack, I like Toomi's idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
          VSS, I'd love to help as well and I'd love dibs on 'Desperate Measures'
          Okay! I'm keeping a list... somewhere.

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
          I had actually noticed the armband issue and it actually bugged me to no end! I couldn't come up with a logical explanation for myself and so it would irritate me whenever I would watch the episode.

I really like this explanation-it makes sense to me!

So VSS, are you saying it's because their (Sam's and Daniel's) immune systems are younger, it took their bodies less time to attack the virus and eliminate the use of the armbands? (I"m not very science minded)
          Yes. Daniel's the youngest, so his system reacts first. Then Sam, then Jack. I like the explanation because it makes efficient use of Occam's Razor. That is, all things being equal, the simplest explanation is probably right. But TPTB's plot lines are hardly a scientific experiment, so who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252 View Post
            I also just discovered this thread, and I look forward to some great discussions here.

I have a topic that involves Jack and Sam, but isn't really shippy, so I hope you don't mind. (It also involves Daniel - get your mind out of the gutter, I didn't mean like that!) I've thought about this a long time, and tried to bring it up on the Family thread, but there was just too much else going on for people to discuss it.

In Upgrades, we find out that the armbands Jack, Sam, and Daniel are wearing stay on because it puts a virus into their systems, and when the body's immune system defeats the virus, the armbands come off.

This being the case, to me, this means that Jack, who had the armband first and kept it on the longest, has the weakest immune system. Sam's would be stronger, and Daniel's the strongest yet because his immune system defeated the virus before either Jack or Sam's.

What does everybody else think? Is there another explanation for the fact that Daniel and Sam, who got their armbands last, had theirs come off before Jack did?
            I would think that Sam, because of the naquadah in her blood would have the healthiest immune system.

But I really think the order in which the armbands came off was nothing more than a simple plot device.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

So...we're making a new thread for rewatching? Okay...though...we don't wanna just discuss it here? Sorry, I know I don't post much on this one, but just curious. I'm all for a rewatch discussion!
              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                So...we're making a new thread for rewatching? Okay...though...we don't wanna just discuss it here? Sorry, I know I don't post much on this one, but just curious. I'm all for a rewatch discussion!
                No, that was just a suggestion from Skydiver. We don't have to move it to a new thread. It's discussion so I'm sure it'll fit fine here if that's what people would prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                  I would think that Sam, because of the naquadah in her blood would have the healthiest immune system.

But I really think the order in which the armbands came off was nothing more than a simple plot device.
                  You're not going to give the writers the benefit of the doubt?!
                  You mean they intentionally-

Made it so Daniel couldn't go back and help
                  Left Sam stranded
                  And Jack had to decide he'd rather die than leave her?

Hmm. Maybe you ARE giving the writers the benefit of the doubt! You're kind of making them look like shippers.

Comment

^ Hold that thought for the 3rd movie!

I personally love the idea of a rewatch, but I'm already half way through one (just finsihed S6 Metamorphosis) but I'd still be happy to join or even help!

Concerning when we'll hear more news about this third movie, my guess will be about when they start filming.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                      I would love to do a rewatch and discussion. I havne't watched the enitre season for a loooooong time and I think it'll be enjoyable and refreshing. I don't know if I can do an ep every other night, but I'll keep up as much as I can.

For the armbands, I'd never thought of it before! My first thought is maybe it has something to do with the ATA gene. The armbands could've been influenced by the Ancients, or perhaps the race which developed them had the ATA gene. Because Jack has the (yet to be discovered ) ATA gene perhaps his body allowed the virus to last a little longer in his body, or it was something that his body didn't initially recognize as a virus thanks to the ATA gene, therefore took longer to recognize and overcome.
                      I like this theory, except that, if the creators made it sensitive to the Ancient gene, would they have made the armbands not fall off at all?

As for Sam being more resistant because of Jolinar, I always got the impression that the Tok'ra's ability to heal was something conscious - mind over body, so to speak, than strictly physiological. That being the case, the dead Tok'ra Sam carries wouldn't be able to help her health.

I also, medically speaking, don't see how Daniel's antihisamines could have made his body reject the virus faster. If he was on an antibiotic at the time, I'd definitely say yes, but... <shrug> Just MO, of course.

It's age-related. Immune systems are better the younger you are (except the very young). I don't know if the writers knew that, but that's the way it would work in "real life". So kudos to them. And to you for noticing it in the first place!

(Which is odd because I have a WIP that uses that very point! Are you in my head?)
                      LOL! I don't think so, and for your best interest, you'd better hope not! LOL
                      - Mary
                      SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
                      Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Regarding the rewatch, would anyone be willing to take an assignment? Just so I don't have to do it myself?

I'd like there to be a schedule so people would know when their favorite ep will come up, but I don't think I can do it alone. Even I take a break from the computer every now and then!
                        I would volunteer but I'm afraid that I might not be able to commit to a time specific thing. My free time comes and goes suddenly. Can you explain to me what you envision the responsibilities are? (private message is fine if you prefer) Please forgive me for being so dense about this stuff. I'm really no good at organizing and planning. I'm a good doer though!

No, that was just a suggestion from Skydiver. We don't have to move it to a new thread. It's discussion so I'm sure it'll fit fine here if that's what people would prefer.
                        I'm good with doing the whole thing here, but maybe Skydiver has a better clue about this. I can understand that making a separate and dedicated thread would make things easier.

Comment

woo hoo
                          I'm all for the idea of rewatch. Except, darn it, I won't be able to contribute much for the first 2 months, as I left all my earlier seasons DVD at home ( I guess I'd have to rely on my memory then..

Personally I think it would be better to keep rewatch discussion here, instead of creating yet another thread, but that's just me.

Also, I'm not sure if people will be able to watch an episode every other day. I'm already on the "team discussion thread" and we watch 2 episodes per week, and still there are many situations when we get behind because people just didn't have time to watch and post..just my 2 cents. However, whatever you decide, I'll do my best to contribute.
                          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                          sigpic
                          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I'd love a rewatch. I haven't seen an episode in months. I just can't bring myself to watch them when I know how it all turned out with Sam and Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Amaunet View Post
                              ^ Hold that thought for the 3rd movie!

I personally love the idea of a rewatch, but I'm already half way through one (just finsihed S6 Metamorphosis) but I'd still be happy to join or even help!

Concerning when we'll hear more news about this third movie, my guess will be about when they start filming.
                              Well, I hope they don't wait that long to tell us anything!
                              I did a rewatch to keep myself occupied before Continuum. I counted out the number of days until the movie was released and watched an episode a day, but it was too much.
                              So I'd like to start earlier this time.

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                              I'd love a rewatch. I haven't seen an episode in months. I just can't bring myself to watch them when I know how it all turned out with Sam and Jack
                              Well, I'm not feeling quite a bleak as you are, but that's another reason why I don't want to start a rewatch until I have something to look forward to.
                              I haven't watched an ep in months either, and unless I think they're going to end this all in some positive way, I don't really feel like inflicting a rewatch upon myself. I'd just be eternally ticked off at how they managed to drop the ball on a major story arc, which happens to be my favorite.

So for the people who can't join in for a while, don't worry, probably I won't get started for a while, either. I'm just going by what Joe M. said about knowing something within a few weeks.

As they say- if you're interested-

watch this space.....

Comment

So for the people who can't join in for a while, don't worry, probably I won't get started for a while, either. I'm just going by what Joe M. said about knowing something within a few weeks.
                                Wait...what? What'd I miss? Someone have a link?
                                Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Working...
                                X