No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also just discovered this thread, and I look forward to some great discussions here.

I have a topic that involves Jack and Sam, but isn't really shippy, so I hope you don't mind. (It also involves Daniel - get your mind out of the gutter, I didn't mean like that!) I've thought about this a long time, and tried to bring it up on the Family thread, but there was just too much else going on for people to discuss it.

In Upgrades, we find out that the armbands Jack, Sam, and Daniel are wearing stay on because it puts a virus into their systems, and when the body's immune system defeats the virus, the armbands come off.

This being the case, to me, this means that Jack, who had the armband first and kept it on the longest, has the weakest immune system. Sam's would be stronger, and Daniel's the strongest yet because his immune system defeated the virus before either Jack or Sam's.

What does everybody else think? Is there another explanation for the fact that Daniel and Sam, who got their armbands last, had theirs come off before Jack did?
    - Mary
    SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
    Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

I've been telling myself that I should sit down and go through all of the episodes again. I would love to be able to do the rewatch with you, but I think I won't be able to keep up. That shouldn't stop me from jumping in every now and then.

One thing I'm finding is that I have different opinion about many of the earlier things. I guess it's because I know how it all turned out. Back at the time though, things were very iffy and sometimes looked like Sam and Jack would never be. This had an effect on my viewing of the episodes, keeping my guard up, holding back on continuing to want them to be together because I was only setting myself up for disappointment. But now I know that's not the case so rewatching the episodes will be sort a new experience for me. That and I have a horrible memory!

Comment

I would love to do a rewatch and discussion. I havne't watched the enitre season for a loooooong time and I think it'll be enjoyable and refreshing. I don't know if I can do an ep every other night, but I'll keep up as much as I can.

For the armbands, I'd never thought of it before! My first thought is maybe it has something to do with the ATA gene. The armbands could've been influenced by the Ancients, or perhaps the race which developed them had the ATA gene. Because Jack has the (yet to be discovered ) ATA gene perhaps his body allowed the virus to last a little longer in his body, or it was something that his body didn't initially recognize as a virus thanks to the ATA gene, therefore took longer to recognize and overcome.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252 View Post
          I also just discovered this thread, and I look forward to some great discussions here.

I have a topic that involves Jack and Sam, but isn't really shippy, so I hope you don't mind. (It also involves Daniel - get your mind out of the gutter, I didn't mean like that!) I've thought about this a long time, and tried to bring it up on the Family thread, but there was just too much else going on for people to discuss it.

In Upgrades, we find out that the armbands Jack, Sam, and Daniel are wearing stay on because it puts a virus into their systems, and when the body's immune system defeats the virus, the armbands come off.

This being the case, to me, this means that Jack, who had the armband first and kept it on the longest, has the weakest immune system. Sam's would be stronger, and Daniel's the strongest yet because his immune system defeated the virus before either Jack or Sam's.

What does everybody else think? Is there another explanation for the fact that Daniel and Sam, who got their armbands last, had theirs come off before Jack did?
          It's age-related. Immune systems are better the younger you are (except the very young). I don't know if the writers knew that, but that's the way it would work in "real life". So kudos to them. And to you for noticing it in the first place!

(Which is odd because I have a WIP that uses that very point! Are you in my head?)
          Last edited by VSS; 21 March 2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Regarding the rewatch, would anyone be willing to take an assignment? Just so I don't have to do it myself?

I'd like there to be a schedule so people would know when their favorite ep will come up, but I don't think I can do it alone. Even I take a break from the computer every now and then!

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
              Regarding the rewatch, would anyone be willing to take an assignment? Just so I don't have to do it myself?

I'd like there to be a schedule so people would know when their favorite ep will come up, but I don't think I can do it alone. Even I take a break from the computer every now and then!
              Hey, VSS, I would like to help...I would love the old discussions back! I know I will be free the first part of May. Does anyone know when we might get word of a third movie and if that oh-so-romantic scene will be in it?

The rewatch would be great, and would we vote on episodes we wanted in the rewatch from season to season(1-8)(I'm guessing), or would we watch every episode just with the S/J POV? I think I would like it if we voted episodes in or out and then went from there, BUT VSS, this is your idea...so I'll leave that up to you. Although, I do love, love, love this idea!

Comment

VSS, I'd love to help out with the rewatch.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                  Hey, VSS, I would like to help...I would love the old discussions back! I know I will be free the first part of May. Does anyone know when we might get word of a third movie and if that oh-so-romantic scene will be in it?

The rewatch would be great, and would we vote on episodes we wanted in the rewatch from season to season(1-8)(I'm guessing), or would we watch every episode just with the S/J POV? I think I would like it if we voted episodes in or out and then went from there, BUT VSS, this is your idea...so I'll leave that up to you. Although, I do love, love, love this idea!
                  We watch EVERY SINGLE ONE. Even season 9 & 10, I guess. That's where I might need help, too. I have actually never seen all of those.

ANd I guess some SGA, especially season 4.

The reason for watching it all is that I am always surprised by people noticing things I never saw, like Buc252 just did with the armbands. I'm really amazed by what's in those episodes, which I guess is part of the fascination for me. Also, I think things occur in the eps which contribute to their personal development that later on factors in to the ship.

But if an ep seems kind of uninteresting from a ship POV, it would make sense to do two at a time. I just don't want to skip any. How does that sound?

We've got to hear something by May! Thank you for volunteering!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                    VSS, I'd love to help out with the rewatch.
                    Thanks! I'll put you down, too.
                    If you guys have any eps you really want to be in charge of, let me know.
                    I have dibs on 2010.

Comment

Ohhhhh... can I pick Entity???? It was the first ever Stargate ep I saw and I kept watching as I wanted to find out what would happen between Sam and Jack.

I love the discussions as it's fascinating to see things from others point of view. What other folks pick up on, how they interpret different situations.
                      sigpic

Comment

We watch EVERY SINGLE ONE. Even season 9 & 10, I guess. That's where I might need help, too. I have actually never seen all of those.

ANd I guess some SGA, especially season 4.

The reason for watching it all is that I am always surprised by people noticing things I never saw, like Buc252 just did with the armbands. I'm really amazed by what's in those episodes, which I guess is part of the fascination for me. Also, I think things occur in the eps which contribute to their personal development that later on factors in to the ship.

But if an ep seems kind of uninteresting from a ship POV, it would make sense to do two at a time. I just don't want to skip any. How does that sound?

We've got to hear something by May! Thank you for volunteering!!
                        Thanks! I'll put you down, too.
                        If you guys have any eps you really want to be in charge of, let me know.
                        I have dibs on 2010.

Okay, okay, I see now...I'm liking it more and more. And what do you mean by 'be in charge of', I'm not 100% on that, as in lead the discussion? PLUS, this will give us loads to talk about it...and if you're calling dibs on 2010, which I flipping love, btw...I call dibs on...Lost City 1&2.

Comment

Ohhhhh... can I pick Entity???? It was the first ever Stargate ep I saw and I kept watching as I wanted to find out what would happen between Sam and Jack.

I love the discussions as it's fascinating to see things from others point of view. What other folks pick up on, how they interpret different situations.
                          Done!

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                          Okay, okay, I see now...I'm liking it more and more. And what do you mean by 'be in charge of', I'm not 100% on that, as in lead the discussion? PLUS, this will give us loads to talk about it...and if you're calling dibs on 2010, which I flipping love, btw...I call dibs on...Lost City 1&2.
                          Too bad about 2010 That's the advantage of getting to make up the rules!!

No one is in charge of the discussion, unless you want to be. I just want the train to run on time, and if I have people helping me, there's a greater chance of that happening. Also, I don't want people to miss their favorite ep.

Also, if people want more than a couple of days for their ep, by all means we can do that. Entity, WoO, LC, Threads, etc. probably all need more than a couple of days. We would just need to schedule it in.

Also, Skydiver suggested I put this in the Fandom folder as a separate thread. Any thoughts on that? I also thought maybe the Art thread might want to pull out their episode-specific work, then those who are inclined could visit their thread. I know there are nice videos/art to go with some of these episodes.
                          Last edited by VSS; 21 March 2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I love the rewatch idea I have started a few times though and it is fun and new insights is always fun
                            So yeah I am in!!! And why not do it here, because we are going to focus on S/J mostly...

Comment

Done!

Too bad about 2010 That's the advantage of getting to make up the rules!!

No one is in charge of the discussion, unless you want to be. I just want the train to run on time, and if I have people helping me, there's a greater chance of that happening.

Also, if people want more than a couple of days for their ep, by all means we can do that. Entity, WoO, LC, Threads, etc. probably all need more than a couple of days. We would just need to schedule it in.

Also, Skydiver suggested I put this in the Fandom folder as a separate thread. Any thoughts on that? I also thought maybe the Art thread might want to pull out their episode-specific work, then those who are inclined could visit their thread. I know there are nice videos/art to go with some of these episodes.
                              Sorry, a bit confused. Start a thread in the fandom for the rewatch? Or move this thread into Fandom?
                              sigpic

Comment

Sorry, a bit confused. Start a thread in the fandom for the rewatch? Or move this thread into Fandom?
                                Start a thread in fandom for a rewatch.

Comment

Working...
                                X