Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSS View Post
    If he wasn't a writer, I'd cut him some slack.
    LOL! True. True. They ARE supposed to have a firmer handle on character histories but, well, he's not an SG-1 writer so I can cut him a bit more slack than I would, say, Brad Wright!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
      JM isn't really well versed in SG-1 knowledge, having spent most of his time on Atlantis. His saying 'retirement', I'm taking to mean Jack being removed from Sam's chain of command. It reminds me of something that was said on the commentary for one of the Atlantis episodes Jack was in when wardrobe got his shirt wrong (one star instead of two). The Atlantis peeps just aren't as familiar with the SG-1 characters.
      Nevertheless I'd be happier if JM was doing the 3rd movie instead of BW!

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
        Nevertheless I'd be happier if JM was doing the 3rd movie instead of BW!
        Well, BW did cowrite what I seem to remember is your favorite SG-1 story ever, Lost City, and I'd love another story with that sort of mix of plot, action, team, and ship.. so I'd say, given everything we've heard about #3, that BW may in fact be the perfect person to write it.

Um. I'd like a kiss this time, though, if it wouldnt' be too much (well, not me personaly, of course)

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
          Well, BW did cowrite what I seem to remember is your favorite SG-1 story ever, Lost City, and I'd love another story with that sort of mix of plot, action, team, and ship.. so I'd say, given everything we've heard about #3, that BW may in fact be the perfect person to write it.

Um. I'd like a kiss this time, though, if it wouldnt' be too much (well, not me personaly, of course)
          That's my idea as well! JM gave us 2 kisses! BW none! And JM was only from season 4...
          On the commentary for "200" Coop and BW are joking during the wedding scene and Coop is saying to BW "The real one (wedding) is in your movie (Continuum)"; BW's response is something like "Yeah, right..."
          I think Coop's and BW's opinion about SJ ship is best exemplified by Jack's reply in "200" -
          "MARTIN: Fishing?

O'NEILL: Yeah, it would be the perfect ending. I mean, after that, anything else would seem ...pointless"

Comment

That's my idea as well! JM gave us 2 kisses! BW none! And JM was only from season 4...
            On the commentary for "200" Coop and BW are joking during the wedding scene and Coop is saying to BW "The real one (wedding) is in your movie (Continuum)"; BW's response is something like "Yeah, right..."
            I think Coop's and BW's opinion about SJ ship is best exemplified by Jack's reply in "200" -
            "MARTIN: Fishing?

O'NEILL: Yeah, it would be the perfect ending. I mean, after that, anything else would seem ...pointless"
            By my counting, we've not had any real S/J kisses at all. Though I agree the one by M&M in WoO comes closest. Dont' see another JM kiss, though, unless you mean Moebius which was also written by BW...

And it's funny you mentioned that, cause on another Thread I was saying that 200 comment is exactly why I don't think we've had much S/J confirmation since threads. I really do think BW/RCC felt they'd wrapped up that storyline in Moebius with the fishing and didn't want to go back to a story they'd completed. I do think, however, from recent comments that opinion has changed given the length of time and we're likely to get more in upcoming stories.

Comment

By my counting, we've not had any real S/J kisses at all. Though I agree the one by M&M in WoO comes closest. Dont' see another JM kiss, though, unless you mean Moebius which was also written by BW...

And it's funny you mentioned that, cause on another Thread I was saying that 200 comment is exactly why I don't think we've had much S/J confirmation since threads. I really do think BW/RCC felt they'd wrapped up that storyline in Moebius with the fishing and didn't want to go back to a story they'd completed. I do think, however, from recent comments that opinion has changed given the length of time and we're likely to get more in upcoming stories.
              I don't think so, I think it's just lip-service trying to appease some disgruntled Jack fans and shippers (Jack-centric movie and a "shall we say" romantic scene)
              LE: Moebius was written by JM, check GW's episode guide

Comment

Oh, the WoO kiss was definitely real. Not remembered by Sam, but real nonetheless.

I'm of two minds about this. I think they wanted to get off the hook as far as S/J and thought Threads would do that. But it didn't, partially because it was a little too subtle to really put a period on the end of the story arc all by itself- especially because the series went on with nothing to really back it up. Also, I don't really think TPTB or the actors wanted to deal with it during the series, frankly.

On the other hand, I also think that if there was going to be any solid confirmation, it was always going to wait for the movies. BW and RCC may not want to deal with it, but S/J is a popular story and it'll help sell movies.

Comment

I don't think so, I think it's just lip-service trying to appease some disgruntled Jack fans and shippers (Jack-centric movie and a "shall we say" romantic scene)
                  LE: Moebius was written by JM, check GW's episode guide
                  Woops. My bad. I was going on the credits in the episode itself, which list JM, PM, RCC, and BW. I didn't even think to check GW's episode guide to make sure I was right.

And I don't think these guys do lipservice to anyone. I don't even think they care if they disgruntle half of fandom based on comments they've made (and things they've done). In fact, I think BWs comments were as likely to upset people as otherwise.

So I dont' think it makes sense for them to pay lip-service, honestly. It's just not in character.

EDIT: Actually, I did check GW's guide. It lists all 4 men as writers, too. Maybe they changed it because they realized they were wrong?
                  Last edited by JenniferJF; 09 December 2008, 09:23 AM.

Comment

You've hit the nail there as far as what helps sell movies. There is a large demographic that likes Stargate. We all come from different backgrounds, and want to see different things. Writers, especially these that have worked for SO long on this franchise, know that its best to mix BELIEVABLE character relationships (Most of the Atlantis ones are NOT and seem too forced after seeing how good they did with SG-1) with heart-pounding action and beautiful fx laden explosions.

I like BW a lot and I he does have the best handle on the Jack character. I don't think he'll let us down as far as confirmation goes.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Woops. My bad. I was going on the credits in the episode itself, which list JM, PM, RCC, and BW. I didn't even think to check GW's episode guide to make sure I was right.

And I don't think these guys do lipservice to anyone. I don't even think they care if they disgruntle half of fandom based on comments they've made (and things they've done). In fact, I think BWs comments were as likely to upset people as otherwise.

So I dont' think it makes sense for them to pay lip-service, honestly. It's just not in character.
                      I'm not so sure about JM, although I wouldn't necessarily call it lip-service. Damage control, wishful thinking, something a little less devious than lip-service. Now we know he's a S/J shipper, I don't trust him.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                        Oh, the WoO kiss was definitely real. Not remembered by Sam, but real nonetheless.

I'm of two minds about this. I think they wanted to get off the hook as far as S/J and thought Threads would do that. But it didn't, partially because it was a little too subtle to really put a period on the end of the story arc all by itself- especially because the series went on with nothing to really back it up. Also, I don't really think TPTB or the actors wanted to deal with it during the series, frankly.

On the other hand, I also think that if there was going to be any solid confirmation, it was always going to wait for the movies. BW and RCC may not want to deal with it, but S/J is a popular story and it'll help sell movies.
                        LMAO! Mark my words: we'll not get confirmation not even in the 3rd movie: remember what BW said
                        1. "if you want to think that they're together than do so" a.k.a. we've given all the necessary hints that they're together, be thankful and dont' ask for more
                        2. He also side-stepped the question whether we'll get confirmation that SJ are together in the 3rd movie with the "shall we say" romantic scene meaning that there will be soemthing but most likely not decisive...
                        Frankly I don't think TPTB would confirm SJ after they openly mocked us in "200" with the fake wedding 'cause it would make making fools of themselves and I think they're too narcissistic to be able to do that...

Comment

LMAO! Mark my words: we'll not get confirmation not even in the 3rd movie: remember what BW said
                          1. "if you want to think that they're together than do so" a.k.a. we've given all the necessary hints that they're together, be thankful and dont' ask for more
                          2. He also side-stepped the question whether we'll get confirmation that SJ are together in the 3rd movie with the "shall we say" romantic scene meaning that there will be soemthing but most likely not decisive...
                          Frankly I don't think TPTB would confirm SJ after they openly mocked us in "200" with the fake wedding 'cause it would make making fools of themselves and I think they're too narcissistic to be able to do that...
                          I don't think BW really is all that devious. JM is good at yanking people's chains, but I really don't think BW would have brought it up had he not felt it was significant. And "shall we say" isn't hedging- that's not the meaning of the phrase. It's a seque people use when they're trying not to shock their audience, because he did say romantic which is pretty much unheard of from TPTB when it comes to S/J.

You know what I really think? I think BW asked JM to yank that segment from Trio so he could deal with it in his own way. What that is, I have no idea. But JM (the shipper) seems to think we'll like it. You know, I really don't take anything at face value, certainly not what people say behind the scenes. But there's been an awful lot of chatter from TPTB and AT about it over the last year. I hardly think they're all out to play head games with the fans. Really, I don't think they care enough to, as Jenn pointed out.

Comment

Yeah. I just don't see TPTB sitting around wondering what they can do today to pull fans' chains. Really. They've got more important things to do.

Now in the past JM has tended to prevaricate and dance around shippy questions, but that approach seems to have vanished in the past few months, ever since Trio was made. As many of you have pointed out, there has been a lot more up-front discussion about the ship from those involved and I don't think it's been merely to amuse those of us who favor this particular pairing. If it were, then why not also amuse the Daniel/Vala shippers with similar discussions, as they're just as likely to be lured to the next movie by suggestions that those two will get together as S/J shippers are. So I think there's substance to all this talk, nebulous as it may be. Because really...if you were planning to tie up a decade-plus old story arc, you'd want people to be aware of it, but you wouldn't want to give it all away before hand. (Although I'm sure there'll be spoilers.... )

And to be clear, although I think others have made the point, JM was a long time SG1 writer before becoming exclusively attached to SGA after SG1's end. So yeah, he does know his characters pretty well. But I'm not inclined to read much into the "retirement" comment at the moment. The man did just get back from a 10 day eating tour of Toyko, so he may just be trying to catch up with himself, timewise. However, a few people seem to have asked him about it, so perhaps he will correct or clarify.
                            sigpic

Comment

So you all believe BW that the 3rd movie will be Jack-centric and will provide shippy confirmation? I'm not so sure...
                              1. Why would TPTB break with the tried and tested movie model with Cam as leading man? It already proved successful twice. I'm sorry but I can't really see Jack/Rick as the leading hero (look how quickly he was killed by Baa'l in "Continuum" FCOL!) IMHO the only way Rick/Jack will be the leading man is if Ben isn't available for the 3rd movie...
                              2. Why would TPTB provide Sam/Jack confirmation in the 3rd movie? The first 2 sold brilliantly without any SJ ship.
                              Why risk upset the antis or Sam/other shippers when there's nothing to gain? I know lots of SJ shippers who were happy with 'the ship' they got in Continuum!
                              Let's play a little game how many SJ shippers from GW didn't buy "Continuum" vs. how many did buy it!

Shippers that didn't buy Continuum
                              Silly Sally
                              Shippers that did buy Continuum

Comment

So you all believe BW that the 3rd movie will be Jack-centric and will provide shippy confirmation? I'm not so sure...
                                1. Why would TPTB break with the tried and tested movie model with Cam as leading man? It already proved successful twice. I'm sorry but I can't really see Jack/Rick as the leading hero (look how quickly he was killed by Baa'l in "Continuum" FCOL!) IMHO the only way Rick/Jack will be the leading man is if Ben isn't available for the 3rd movie...
                                2. Why would TPTB provide Sam/Jack confirmation in the 3rd movie? The first 2 sold brilliantly without any SJ ship.
                                Why risk upset the antis or Sam/other shippers when there's nothing to gain? I know lots of SJ shippers who were happy with 'the ship' they got in Continuum!
                                Let's play a little game how many SJ shippers from GW didn't buy "Continuum" vs. how many did buy it!

Shippers that didn't buy Continuum
                                Silly Sally
                                Shippers that did buy Continuum
                                This is the discussion thread, we don't do games here, and you've already posted this on the Ship family thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X