Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
    I think the SGC reports to Jack and Homeworld Security (but Landry is between Sam and Jack in the chain of command. Jack is out of the day to day operation of the SGC) and Atlantis reports to the IOA with Jack and HWS providing only recommendations and the like.

So yes, I think they can be together.
    Well, TPTB can change the rules as they please; I still like the option "married in S8/9 hiatus" best

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
      Well, TPTB can change the rules as they please; I still like the option "married in S8/9 hiatus" best
      Me too, this is how I see the ship, married durring that time between seasons 8 and 9. I don't think I could have it any other way, in my shippy world they are married, and that is enough for me. I don't need confirmation to tell me that.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
        Me too, this is how I see the ship, married durring that time between seasons 8 and 9. I don't think I could have it any other way, in my shippy world they are married, and that is enough for me. I don't need confirmation to tell me that.
        Well, honestly, if TPTB wanted to really make some waves with this story arc, this is what they'd do. First of all, anyone with queasy feelings over the command structure would be somewhat mollified by their being married. Second, it'd show they can actually write grown-up stories as Jenn has mentioned before, because it's simply logical. That's what real people would do given the circumstances, given the risks, given the high likelihood of winding up working together again. In the annals of sci-fi, it would be a real shocker, too, to have someone get married and stay married during the series.

What's unlikely is more delayed gratification, especially since they're not even in the same city any more, and haven't been for quite some time. Of all the options, that's the least believable, especially for Sam whose story arc has made it very clear that she really needs or wants someone special in her life and can't put it on the back burner any more. If she hasn't learned that lesson, then what was the point of Grace, Threads and the whole Pete thing? And as for Jack, he's at heart a family man and has always had more of an awareness of what life is really all about. He was in special ops when he was married to Sara, so it's not as if he's a stranger to having to deal with a difficult job and a family at the same time.

There are two other things that I think are significant. First, at least four times to my knowledge Jack has alluded to making a wish list and/or doing whatever he wants to as a general. I don't think that TPTB are going to play the "presidential pardon" card outright, but they've planted the seed in the viewer's mind that Jack has favors he can call in. Really, the world does owe him something.

The other is the simple fact that it's never been said what Jack is doing. No one knows the chain of command, and I actually think that's kind of encouraging. It was clearly stated what Hammond was being promoted to run HWS, but all we know about Jack is that he's still in the military, in Washington, and involved with HWS. They could have directly said he replaced Hammond (certainly showing Hammond out of uniform but still at work after Jack's promotion strongly suggests it) but they didn't. Why? Because of Sam.

Between these two things and all the hints, I guess I think that ever since Threads, TPTB have set it up for them to have been together as a real couple. There is no deal-breaker here from what I can see, not even that near kiss from The Ripple Effect since the whole episode was more or less designed to poke fun at the shippers. TPTB can just use the Jolinar excuse (I do!) and it's explained away.

And honestly, would Sam leave Jack's picture laying around in her open luggage if their status was uncertain? And would Jack have told Ba'al his life was "Quite good, actually," if he was still waiting for Sam? No, they both seem a little too content, they're missing a few sharp edges that used to be there.

And that's just what's transpired on screen. If you throw in the behind-the-scenes comments, it seems like a done deal to me.

Comment

I have to admit, though, it's going to make me nervous if Sam is in charge of the SGC in EatG.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
            There are two other things that I think are significant. First, at least four times to my knowledge Jack has alluded to making a wish list and/or doing whatever he wants to as a general. I don't think that TPTB are going to play the "presidential pardon" card outright, but they've planted the seed in the viewer's mind that Jack has favors he can call in. Really, the world does owe him something.
            Overall, excellent summary, and exactly how I feel. The paragraph I quoted specifically was, btw, possibly the best and most clearly written explanation for why I, too, feel those bits with lists and Jack's comments are significant.
            I have to admit, though, it's going to make me nervous if Sam is in charge of the SGC in EatG.
            Except, if/when Sam gets command of the SGC I think it's likely Jack will finally be able to retire and Landry can take over Homeworld Security. Which as I've said elsewhere is the 'Winner Takes All' gambit as it makes it likely Jack can finally live wherever it is Sam's stationed (Colorado Springs) and, given her job would be more 9-5 then it's been in years, they could actually start to have a relatively normal life complete with cohabitation and everything

Comment

Time to start spreading the word of our next party! Here's an invitation just for you...from the talented josiane!

Mark your calendars now!!!

Here's a sig and an avatar for anyone who wants to use them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                Overall, excellent summary, and exactly how I feel. The paragraph I quoted specifically was, btw, possibly the best and most clearly written explanation for why I, too, feel those bits with lists and Jack's comments are significant.Except, if/when Sam gets command of the SGC I think it's likely Jack will finally be able to retire and Landry can take over Homeworld Security. Which as I've said elsewhere is the 'Winner Takes All' gambit as it makes it likely Jack can finally live wherever it is Sam's stationed (Colorado Springs) and, given her job would be more 9-5 then it's been in years, they could actually start to have a relatively normal life complete with cohabitation and everything
                But.. but.. I don't want Jack to retire. It may be unrealistic, but I would like to see movie four or five with Jack in it. Plus, I seriously would like to see if TPTB could handle writing them as a couple and still working. I can't help but feel married=retired as an easy way out so they don't have to deal with it without killing one of them off.

Comment

But.. but.. I don't want Jack to retire. It may be unrealistic, but I would like to see movie four or five with Jack in it. Plus, I seriously would like to see if TPTB could handle writing them as a couple and still working. I can't help but feel married=retired as an easy way out so they don't have to deal with it without killing one of them off.
                  They're starting to push the bounds of reality - and I don't mean scifi reality, but biology and military reality, which they've always tried to mostly follow imho. Which is to say, very few (read - um - really no) 50-something year-old generals spend time crawling through mud under fire with rucks on their backs. TBH, very few Colonels do either, but we'll let that one slide .

It seems far more reasonable for him to retire, but then to come back as a 'consultant'/expert for future stories. That might actually give him a better reason to be there then to try to make up a reason for a general officer to be there. Plus I get the feeling they've been working up to the idea of his retiring for awhile.

Comment

I feel the same way. I don't want him to retire. The success of Continuum is proof that having RDA continue to be involved with the franchise is a good thing. I hope TPTB continue to believe that and use him at every available opportunity. And a filming schedule is far more conducive to his lifestyle than a series shoot.

I also agree that having them married/retired is the easy way out. They've both got a lot to offer the program and I'd like to see them used in a different capacity in the future.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I think Jack has a small jet to use at his disposal. Being able to fly in D.C. & Area 51 airspace might have been on his list. There's no way he could stand city life otherwise. I don't know what the rest of the country is like, but there are small airstrips all over the place around here. Jack could get around pretty well.

I don't think beaming would be used too much because people would have to have back-up travel plans for when ships moved out of orbit anyway. Since moving around the country in a more normal fashion would be better for maintaining secrecy of the technologies, I think most higher ups would use normal travel as their default.

Sam might be in charge of the moon base in EatG.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced there IS a moonbase. I think that may have just been a cover for a completely different discussion Sam wanted to have with Jack.

I'd like to see her in charge of something, but I don't like The Phoenix or the SGC as choices. Though I'd pick the SGC over the ship.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced there IS a moonbase. I think that may have just been a cover for a completely different discussion Sam wanted to have with Jack.

I'd like to see her in charge of something, but I don't like The Phoenix or the SGC as choices. Though I'd pick the SGC over the ship.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                            They're starting to push the bounds of reality - and I don't mean scifi reality, but biology and military reality, which they've always tried to mostly follow imho. Which is to say, very few (read - um - really no) 50-something year-old generals spend time crawling through mud under fire with rucks on their backs. TBH, very few Colonels do either, but we'll let that one slide .

It seems far more reasonable for him to retire, but then to come back as a 'consultant'/expert for future stories. That might actually give him a better reason to be there then to try to make up a reason for a general officer to be there. Plus I get the feeling they've been working up to the idea of his retiring for awhile.
                            I don't know why he'd have to be doing a lot of action- generals just don't, anyway. The advantage of a scifi show (theoretically) is that it's not just an adventure show, although it certainly can be. A lot of the best episodes had Jack not doing much of anything in the way of action- Abyss, Lost City, Solitudes. The only tricky part would be getting him into a situation where something actually does happen, because it's not all that perilous in Washington, D.C. (Well, he's not at risk from aliens, anyway. )

I don't think anyone would have plans for him running around and shooting things, especially when Sg-1 is available for that.

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
                            I think Jack has a small jet to use at his disposal. Being able to fly in D.C. & Area 51 airspace might have been on his list. There's no way he could stand city life otherwise. I don't know what the rest of the country is like, but there are small airstrips all over the place around here. Jack could get around pretty well.

I don't think beaming would be used too much because people would have to have back-up travel plans for when ships moved out of orbit anyway. Since moving around the country in a more normal fashion would be better for maintaining secrecy of the technologies, I think most higher ups would use normal travel as their default.

Sam might be in charge of the moon base in EatG.
                            You know, I always thought it was weird that Jack didn't fly to Minnesota. And although he helped her sell her motorcycle (which, BTW, he can't do if they're not married, so I always found that to be kind of an interesting thing for TPTB to have him say) I am sure that Sam turned right around and bought a Beechcraft.

Yeah, I don't think there is a moonbase. For one thing, why would they introduce a whole new, huge thing like that at this late stage? There are already too many stories that need to be wrapped up. Also, the practical uses of a moonbase are few in the Stargate universe.

Plus, it really did come across as a "code" for some other kind of conversation.

I really don't care what Sam does as long as she doesn't go back to SG-1 or lead another SG team.

Comment

You know, I always thought it was weird that Jack didn't fly to Minnesota. And although he helped her sell her motorcycle (which, BTW, he can't do if they're not married, so I always found that to be kind of an interesting thing for TPTB to have him say) I am sure that Sam turned right around and bought a Beechcraft.
                              It was his motorcycle he was selling, not Sam's. Or did I miss something somewhere? When he's talking to Landry in an early Season 9 episode and they're playing chess outside on his deck, he's talking about selling his house and motorcycle.
                              sigpic

Comment

It was his motorcycle he was selling, not Sam's. Or did I miss something somewhere? When he's talking to Landry in an early Season 9 episode and they're playing chess outside on his deck, he's talking about selling his house and motorcycle.
                                Technically, I don't think he ever identifies them as "my" house or "my" motorcycle...ownership is left rather...ambiguous.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X