Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scapephile View Post
    Yes but this is a different thread so I was unsure. I think the commentary shows what happened with the franchise. There is alot of comments that we can't have just actors talking and "universal"scenes that have no relation to a specific story just the characters. When SG1 used a pool of writers we got more balanced scripts after coming to Scifi and going to a small team we get these stories where they cut pertinent dialogues in favor of stunts and special effects. Sorry about the rant but I felt alot of the deleted scenes were far more interesting than what aired. As for Trio---a large number of fans have 10+ years invested in the Carter character so it is far more pertinent than who would you do dialogue (which was cute but which would you rather have had?).
    I don't buy the whole we didn't have time for it, or it didn't fit the episode. Here's something from Joe Mallozzi's blog today

StellaByStargate writes: “Based on what Martin Gero said in the intro to the scene, would it be safe to assume that it was your intention to go on the record, albeit in your usually deft and subtle manner, in confirming the relationship between Sam and Jack at that point…”

Answer: Yes.

StellaByStargate continues: “…and that, for all intents and purposes, the existence of their relationship is a given among TPTB.”

Answer: Depends which PTB you happen to be referring to. Hey, we can’t even agree on lunch.
    If you ask me I think Robert Cooper nixed the Trio scene, if you want to know why - watch Ark of Truth! maccaroons...

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
      I don't buy the whole we didn't have time for it, or it didn't fit the episode. Here's something from Joe Mallozzi's blog today

If you ask me I think Robert Cooper nixed the Trio scene, if you want to know why - watch Ark of Truth! maccaroons...
      Oh I don't think that had anything to do with it. (The maccaroons.) (You have never kissed a guy friend on the cheek? Who did she take the rest of them too?)

The problem that I have with the scene is that (the aired one) isn't the banter between Sam and Keller, and my problem with them not airing the cut scene isn't the confirmation.

IMHO, It was OOC for Sam to just jump in and play "who would you rather". With the cut scene I think it was more like her....

BUT if they cut the George Clooney/Brad Pitt scene as it has been suggested you would have no idea why the three of them were talking about Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart.

Unfortunatly, if they did include it, I think that scene would have lost it's momentum.
      Slidell and I are re-watching SG1. Why don't you join us? SGBFFF-SG1-Rewatchsigpic
      You want to read Torn written by Slidell Yes... yes you do.

Comment

I think the whole maccaroons thing was just a misjudgement that a certain faction of fans like "cute,fuzzy" moments and continuity. It also smack of the arrogance many writers have that they can lead us to or sell us on things by thewriting alone. Ignoring things like past storylines or screen chemistry. I think Ben Browder has chemistry with a laptop but I never got a "sexual" vibe with Carter except in the ep with all the timelines. I think that startled Cooper and the rest because they so rarely pay much attention to stuff like that that they thought maybe they shuld do something with it and convince us it works. And it did to some fans. It also did a disservice to Carter in some ways IMO.I feel for Amanda Tapping(though she acquits herself well) doing the commentaries which have little to do with anything about the acting / character POV.

angie
        benbrowder.net
        Ben Browder : blowin up things and kissin that's what we call Drahma !

Comment

I think the whole maccaroons thing was just a misjudgement that a certain faction of fans like "cute,fuzzy" moments and continuity. It also smack of the arrogance many writers have that they can lead us to or sell us on things by thewriting alone. Ignoring things like past storylines or screen chemistry. I think Ben Browder has chemistry with a laptop but I never got a "sexual" vibe with Carter except in the ep with all the timelines. I think that startled Cooper and the rest because they so rarely pay much attention to stuff like that that they thought maybe they shuld do something with it and convince us it works. And it did to some fans. It also did a disservice to Carter in some ways IMO.I feel for Amanda Tapping(though she acquits herself well) doing the commentaries which have little to do with anything about the acting / character POV.

angie
          benbrowder.net
          I am all for cute and fuzzy. I liked that scene... I read nothing sexual through it, I read it as two friends... who just saved the world together...(I wonder if the same thing would be said if it was Daniel or better yet Teal'c in the infirmary.) I really don't think it did a disservice to Sam.

And it's not just that I wear shippy glasses. I just didn't "feel" it.
          Slidell and I are re-watching SG1. Why don't you join us? SGBFFF-SG1-Rewatchsigpic

Comment

I don't mind cute and fuzzy either---just not Sam to me.It was funny when Mitchell did it---we had no experience of him visiting a team member in the infirmary. We saw 9 years of Sam doing it.The deleted Trio scene showed the real Sam to me---someone a bit ill at ease chitchatting.I think all of the scenes worked we didn't need as much time creating more jeopardy for them after falling down. Gero says they couldn't just have actors talking. Well yes they can--not every week but it would have as he also said serve to tie up/address alot of things all in one conversation.

angie
            benbrowder.net

Comment

I don't mind cute and fuzzy either---just not Sam to me.It was funny when Mitchell did it---we had no experience of him visiting a team member in the infirmary. We saw 9 years of Sam doing it.The deleted Trio scene showed the real Sam to me---someone a bit ill at ease chitchatting.I think all of the scenes worked we didn't need as much time creating more jeopardy for them after falling down. Gero says they couldn't just have actors talking. Well yes they can--not every week but it would have as he also said serve to tie up/address alot of things all in one conversation.

angie
              benbrowder.net
              I agree, The best Sam post season 8 was ironically in Atlantis not in SG-1...

Comment

angie
                benbrowder.net
                I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Comment

The best thing about the deleted scene was Carter's deer in the headlights look when Keller asked if she might know him!

Comment

angie
                    benbrowder.net
                    I didn't see anything with Cam and Sam in TAoT, either, although the last scene was all I watched of that. It's funny, though, that cute and fuzzy scenes are all over the place, except for Sam and Jack.

Can't just have actors talking? What was Abyss, Solitudes and Grace about? Puhleeze. Perhaps they can't have actors talking with the current writing. Really, the lack of character development has been the downfall of SGA, because they don't have the budget to shoot fantastic sci-fi story arcs every week.

I also think they were so afraid about integrating Carter into SGA that they watered down her character to the point where they turned the anti-Carter sentiment into a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's like she was on sedatives, I swear- Soma Sam. If they wanted to bring her over, she should have come intact- history, character and all. I remember even people who weren't great Carter fans were finally relieved to see her step up to the plate in TLM and BAMSR.

But of course, there's a relationship- because of cut scenes, blog postings and audio comments? Give me a break. For the life of me, I will never understand why they took a canon ship that was eight years in the making and then dropped it. My love of S/J ship aside, it's just poor writing and poor continuity. The little hints are nice, but inadequate.

/banging head against wall

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post

<snip>
                      But of course, there's a relationship- because of cut scenes, blog postings and audio comments? Give me a break. For the life of me, I will never understand why they took a canon ship that was eight years in the making and then dropped it. My love of S/J ship aside, it's just poor writing and poor continuity. The little hints are nice, but inadequate.

/banging head against wall
                      That is exactly it.

Comment

I feel a bit conflicted with all the latest news. The cut scene with the MG commentary and JM comments. I want to SQUEEEE, but about what exactly?

On the one hand I really am happy that at least some of tptb assume Sam & Jack are together.
                        On the other hand ... what does that give us? The scene has been cut, there's no onscreen confirmation, just teeny tiny hints.

I wish they got their act together, as in all of them. Finishing what they build over 8 years. Pullease, it has been so long.
                        sigpic

Comment

The best thing about the deleted scene was Carter's deer in the headlights look when Keller asked if she might know him!
                          Ha,ha poor girl I think she realized she said too much and went with "Probably not" just like "not exactly"

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                            Ha,ha poor girl I think she realized she said too much and went with "Probably not" just like "not exactly"
                            This makes me wonder .... WHY would it be too much? Why can't she just come out and say "yes, I'm in a relationshop with O'Neill"? Cause it would anger the anti-shippers?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                              This makes me wonder .... WHY would it be too much? Why can't she just come out and say "yes, I'm in a relationshop with O'Neill"? Cause it would anger the anti-shippers?
                              Some feel she would be hesitant to acknowledge it because of the idea that people would think that she slept her way up the ranks (including with Jack), rather than her earning it all by herself. Plus, she isn't known for talking about her personal life much. That's just my thought.

And not to sound nasty or unkind, but the anti-shippers can just go ahead and be angry if the relationship is acknowledged. After all, the rest of us have waited 10+ years to get some kind of definite acknowledgement. Talk about frustration in waiting ...

Comment

VSS

Well put! I honestly think the non-shippers wouldn't really notice or would be able to easily ignore onscreen confirmation as long as the correct guns were worn and the explosion quota high enough! I wonder if they think the fav ep polls just reflect a minority view?

Comment

Working...
                                X